And THIS is why I'm switching to Fuji from Sony...

Started 8 months ago | Discussions
Smiller4128
Regular MemberPosts: 343Gear list
Like?
And THIS is why I'm switching to Fuji from Sony...
8 months ago

http://www.sonyalpharumors.com/sr5-trusted-sources-no-a7000-aps-c-e-mount-coming-in-2014-main-focus-on-fe-from-now-on/

No more support for the APS-C in terms of a NEX7 replacement or APS-C lenses...odd considering they just released the A6000....

Can't get my hands on my X100S soon enough! (And my X-T1 when it releases!)

Smiller4128's gear list:Smiller4128's gear list
Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS
taz98spin
Contributing MemberPosts: 512Gear list
Like?
Re: And THIS is why I'm switching to Fuji from Sony...
In reply to Smiller4128, 8 months ago

Yes, with the announcement of the A6000 I was seriously considering running a Fuji and Sony system together, but after reading that the true successor to the NEX-7 won't come out till next year, I decided to look towards Samsung or just keep my m43 gear.

Sony is more focused on FF right now to care about APSC..

taz98spin's gear list:taz98spin's gear list
Fujifilm X100S Fujifilm X-Pro1 Olympus PEN E-P5 Fujifilm X-T1 Sony Alpha 7S +8 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Tapper123
Senior MemberPosts: 1,171Gear list
Like?

I agree.

I was a big NEX fan a couple years ago, but it's clear to me now that Sony can't be trusted to come through with camera systems. Now that Fuji is making the sort of APS-C bodies and lenses I've been wanting I think Fuji is the way to go.

I have to say though, that Olympus (and Panasonic) has also been making a really nice system as well. The EM bodies are great and the lens selection is superb and growing. But in my experience I find APS-C IQ still noticeably better -- I wish I didn't otherwise OLY M43 would be great for me.

Tapper123's gear list:Tapper123's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX100 III Sony Alpha NEX-F3 +2 more
unknown member
(unknown member)
Like?

Welcome !

wchutt's gear list:wchutt's gear list
Fujifilm X-Pro1 Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm XF 18mm F2 R Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R +20 more
taz98spin
Contributing MemberPosts: 512Gear list
Like?
In reply to Tapper123, 8 months ago

Tapper123 wrote:

I have to say though, that Olympus (and Panasonic) has also been making a really nice system as well. The EM bodies are great and the lens selection is superb and growing. But in my experience I find APS-C IQ still noticeably better -- I wish I didn't otherwise OLY M43 would be great for me.

Same here! But so many m43 users claim that the E-M5/E-M1 IQ is better than APSC and FF..

Which makes me laugh, but oh well..

taz98spin's gear list:taz98spin's gear list
Fujifilm X100S Fujifilm X-Pro1 Olympus PEN E-P5 Fujifilm X-T1 Sony Alpha 7S +8 more
ajamils1
Contributing MemberPosts: 963Gear list
Like?

I'm glad I dumped A99 last year and moved to Fuji. Sony makes great products but they are totally confused with what they are doing and which product to support and because of that they are losing loyal customers.

ajamils1's gear list:ajamils1's gear list
Sony Alpha 7 Fujifilm X-T1 Sigma 50-500mm F4.5-6.3 DG OS HSM Sigma 85mm F1.4 EX DG HSM Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R +5 more
LPoe
Junior MemberPosts: 46
Like?

Reposting a post I made in another thread on thissame subject. Sums up my feelings about the two companies.

To me, Sony appears to be throwing a bunch of stuff on the wall to see what sticks. The problem is they are also (IMO) being incredibly indecisive. First there were the alpha cameras with SLT, The Then they had the NEX line and it was doing great from a sales standpoint but they seemed to abandon, and we got the A series, and now a new "NEX" camera. All the while there has been no real lens support. To me the whole thing says that they lack confidence in their ability to pick a successful direction. I don't think they will have a proper lens roster until they actually pick a platform and direction.

Contrast that with Fuji... the X-Pro 1 was announced in January 2012, just two years ago! In that time Fuji has developed a true photographic platform with entry, mid, and high level bodies. Top notch Prime and Zoom lenses, but also cheaper, more entry level zoom lenses. The latest addition of a weather sealed body, and within a few months weather sealed lenses to match. And of course there is that lens roadmap that has been surprisingly, though not 100% accurate.

When I look at the offerings from the two companies the phrase that comes to mind is "Comfortable in their own skin" Fuji is, Sony isn't.

Sony will pick something eventually and it'll probably be good, but how long is that gonna take?

At a certain point you're not buying a camera, you're investing in a system/platform. That's the real strength of Canikon. People are invested in the platform and the more lenses and accessories they have the harder it is to switch. Fuji is going all out to build their own platform and they're doing it through quality product design, unparalleled product support (Firmware for discontinued models, etc) and just plain old listening to their customers and actually acting on the feedback. Not only do they make high quality products, they also actually seem to care what we say! Amazing! That's why they get my money, and I don't see that changing any time soon.

-- hide signature --
johnbandry
Contributing MemberPosts: 602Gear list
Like?

Ever since Sony were found to be installing root kits some years back, I have not bought, nor even looked at, another Sony product, no matter how tempting its tech appears to be. They also deliberately break the DVD standard on video DVDs. I won't buy from a company I can't trust.

-- hide signature --

John Bandry

johnbandry's gear list:johnbandry's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Fujifilm X-Pro1 Canon TS-E 24mm f/3.5L II Fujifilm XF 18mm F2 R Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R +3 more
MrChristopher
Contributing MemberPosts: 997Gear list
Like?
In reply to johnbandry, 8 months ago

Dopey question: what is an FE camera?
--
http://chriscurnutt.tumblr.com/

MrChristopher's gear list:MrChristopher's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS +1 more
Tapper123
Like?
In reply to johnbandry, 8 months ago

johnbandry wrote:

Ever since Sony were found to be installing root kits some years back, I have not bought, nor even looked at, another Sony product, no matter how tempting its tech appears to be. They also deliberately break the DVD standard on video DVDs. I won't buy from a company I can't trust.

-- hide signature --

John Bandry

Wow, I wasn't aware of that. Very, very bad Sony. Thanks for the link.

Tapper123
Like?
In reply to MrChristopher, 8 months ago

MrChristopher wrote:

--

FE refers to the new 35mm "full frame" series mount, i.e. Sony A7 and A7r. NEX cameras are E-mount but can also use FE-mount lenses albeit cropped due to the smaller sensor.

SVPhotography
Regular MemberPosts: 188
Like?

Makes economic sense - Sony cannot be supporting 3 lines targeted at the same consumer.

I see the FE series being the top end where the fast primes and f2.8 zooms being developed.

I see the E series being the entry level - consumer level stuff.

I see the A series dying a slow death.

Sure there will be some stuff coming out this year that doesn't fit the above descriptions but I think that's just Sony flushing out their R&D pipelines of unreleased finished products.

I wouldn't expect new products starting development that don't fit the above descriptions.

Smiller4128 wrote:

http://www.sonyalpharumors.com/sr5-trusted-sources-no-a7000-aps-c-e-mount-coming-in-2014-main-focus-on-fe-from-now-on/

No more support for the APS-C in terms of a NEX7 replacement or APS-C lenses...odd considering they just released the A6000....

Can't get my hands on my X100S soon enough! (And my X-T1 when it releases!)

MrChristopher
Contributing MemberPosts: 997Gear list
Like?
In reply to Tapper123, 8 months ago

Tapper123 wrote:

MrChristopher wrote:

--

FE refers to the new 35mm "full frame" series mount, i.e. Sony A7 and A7r. NEX cameras are E-mount but can also use FE-mount lenses albeit cropped due to the smaller sensor.

Thanks. I sort of thought Sony was headed this way.

MrChristopher's gear list:MrChristopher's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS +1 more
Joel Stern
Forum ProPosts: 10,340Gear list
Like?

Does wishy washy about say it?  Who knows what any camera company will do tomorrow, but we know Sony will probably continue to change directions.  I have only used my wife's compact and the RX 100, hate the UI on both.  For me that is enough.

-- hide signature --

If i am typing on my iPad, please excuse any typos.

Dimitriy
Junior MemberPosts: 30
Like?

a6000 is a replacement for both nex-6 and nex-7. 24mb sensor, better processor, better focus and more robust body actually puts it closer to nex-7. what would a7000 bring? slightly better ovf? the fact that price is from nex-6 is a bonus.

historianx
Senior MemberPosts: 1,029Gear list
Like?
In reply to Joel Stern, 8 months ago

Compared to Fujifilm (1934, first cam 1948), Olympus (1919, first cam 1936), Nikon/Nikkor (1917, first cam 1948), Canon (1937, first cam 1937) and other Japanese optics/camera/film companies, Sony (1946, first cam 1996) simply has no historic legacy or experience in R&D and manufacture of *still* cam systems.  When someone I know buys anything else but Sony, I personally thank them and tell them they made the right decision.  A colleague of mine rented an A7 to see how well it would do with his Leica M lenses, but quickly returned and rejected it because "it feels like a Gameboy first, and a camera second."  Well put.   And when I told him about X-E1 bodies hovering near $500, and the Leica M-Adapter for under $200, well that got his attention real fast.

historianx's gear list:historianx's gear list
Fujifilm X100S Sigma DP3 Merrill Olympus E-5 Fujifilm X-Pro1 Fujifilm X-E1 +5 more
Mike in Kansas
Contributing MemberPosts: 624Gear list
Like?
In reply to Dimitriy, 8 months ago

I've always felt that Sony is a consumer electronics company, and Fuji is a photo/imaging company.  Both make good products, but I feel that Fuji will be more true to their optics roots than Sony will ever be.

Mike in Kansas's gear list:Mike in Kansas's gear list
Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 27mm F2.8 Nikon D50 Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D +2 more
Dimitriy
Junior MemberPosts: 30
Like?
In reply to taz98spin, 8 months ago

why? they are coming with new aspc bodies with new generation sensor and processor. From description new sensor won't be just about focus assist, but should deliver better iq. when did fuji last come with improved iq sensor? I agree that so far it's still better than sony's sensor, but to say that sony gave up on apsc is just not true. With lenses it's always been sony's weak spot. They produce enough lenses, just not enough good ones. Of course, you can always buy Touit 32mm and 12mm or zeiss 24mm. They are not much more expensive than fuji's and just as good or better in case of Touit. What sony brings to the table is better focusing and video. Fuji still leads with iq, original lenses and interface. we'll see how good a6000 sensor really is and whether it changes iq balance.

juvx
Contributing MemberPosts: 730Gear list
Like?
In reply to Joel Stern, 8 months ago

I use both systems. NEX and Fuji and a Sony A7.

Actually Sony is slimming down and going through a transition. They recently sold their PC division and split off their TV one. They will focus more heavily on cameras now as a company. I love both companies but keep in mind the size of Sony vs Fuji... its much easier for Fuji to focus on one system.

Sony is a great company and with its new leaders seems to be heading back on the right track. The PS4 for example is hugely successful.

The A6000 looks great and is going to be unbeatable at that PRICE 800$ for the KIT imo. Have you seen the autofocus on that thing? its truly amazing.

Sony's strat seems simple. Sub 1000$ APSC cameras with a ton of new features and true innovation.

Over 1000$ FULL FRAME banking on it being the future (which i agree it is). You can get a sony A7 Kit for 1700$ on ebay... the X-t1 is 1700$ for the kit.. Do you HONESTLY think the X-t1 is better IQ than the FF A7? lol... And lenses... the 35mm and 55mm (One of the best lens period in the world, check the review) are on par with anything Fuji offers if not better.... Obviously there aren't as many options the system just launched less than 6 months ago...

I really dont like to see people sounding like fuji fanboys. I love fuji and have a x-e1 with the 27mm  F2.8 pancake right next to me right now at all times but sony's is on the right track, it will just take time to develop.

juvx's gear list:juvx's gear list
Sony RX100 II Nikon D750 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 85mm f/1.4G +2 more
juvx
Contributing MemberPosts: 730Gear list
Like?
In reply to Mike in Kansas, 8 months ago

Mike in Kansas wrote:

I've always felt that Sony is a consumer electronics company, and Fuji is a photo/imaging company. Both make good products, but I feel that Fuji will be more true to their optics roots than Sony will ever be.

Try the A7r with the 55mm FE lens and get back to me. It blows 3000$ DSLRS (5d MK3) with 2000$ lenses away....

juvx's gear list:juvx's gear list
Sony RX100 II Nikon D750 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 85mm f/1.4G +2 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads