uh oh, no A7000...?

Started 10 months ago | Discussions
EinsteinsGhost
Forum ProPosts: 11,977Gear list
Like?
Re: uh oh, no A7000...?
In reply to KelvinHammond, 10 months ago

col4bin wrote:

You want new firmware fora camera that has not new released? What do you know that we don't?

That was the point. The firmware hasn't really been revealed, but what it is, it will have to have more options for control then any previous NEX... or I won't buy one. (especially if the ones I need aren't on it)  They aren't consistent model to model.

Based on the previews and specs, safe bet that it does. NEX-6 was a huge improvement and this one builds on it.

EinsteinsGhost's gear list:EinsteinsGhost's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-F828 Sony SLT-A55 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony 135mm F2.8 (T4.5) STF Sigma 70mm F2.8 EX DG Macro +12 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
captura
Forum ProPosts: 15,611Gear list
Like?
Re: re: the APS-C has one very important, distinct advantage over FF...
In reply to parallaxproblem, 10 months ago

parallaxproblem wrote:

jpr2 wrote:

found the list, BUT... it is an old one (no a6k on it yet) - so we don't know much from it about compatibility, and even less about the actual speed ADVANTAGES. Which is pretty strange as they should be the most interested party to keep it most recent - if only for PR purposes.

Also, already I've a problem to keep with the naming scheme, so had a bit of puzzlement trying to remember what the heck might be the ILCE-7???

jpr2

ILCE is the replacement name for 'NEX': http://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/3605610

ILCE-7 is the A7

Interesting that on your list the (APS-C) 18-105G only provides 'Fast-Hybrid AF' with the A7, and not with the NEX-5R/T or NEX-6!!!!

Something for potential owners of this lens to consider...

Also that the FE 35 and 55 lenses do not seem to make use of the 'Fast-Hybrid AF' on the NEX cameras, either... seems like a bit of a mess!

I hope it gets cleaned-up for the A6000!

-- hide signature --

DUMP the HUMP! A5000 & A6000 success.... campaign for *REAL* NEX-5 and NEX-7 replacement bodies
* newly updated ignore list: hostile responses are probably not visible to me

Neil,

"Also that the FE 35 and 55 lenses do not seem to make use of the 'Fast-Hybrid AF' on the NEX cameras, either... seems like a bit of a mess!"

Not so sure about that, at least for the 55:

The FE 35 and 55 FE lenses are like a lot of the previous Zeiss primes, and do not have the PDAF technology. 'Fast-Hybrid AF' on the NEX is only achieved on a small selection of NEX E lenses branded Sony.

However, the term "advanced electronic-optical hybridization" leaps out at me from this Sony review of the Zeiss Sonnar T* FE 55mm F1.8 ZA lens. This seems to be the Sony term for "Fast-Hybrid AF."

http://store.sony.com/sonnar-t-fe-55mm-f1.8-za-zid27-SEL55F18Z/cat-27-catid-All-Alpha-NEX-Lenses#BVRRWidgetID'

Also seen via this page, there's this about 2X Clear Image zoom which is attainable with this new lens: "Clear Image Zoom makes this prime lens into a video zoom lens; e. g., Clear Image Zoom 2X through the Sony FE 55 mm F/1.8-F/22 Carl Zeiss prime lens, takes it up to 110 mm telephoto. Thereby, this lens can take portraits with spectacular F/1.8 bokeh or close ups with exquisitely detailed F/22 razor-sharp compositions"

Regards,

Steve

captura's gear list:captura's gear list
Fujifilm X10 Sony Alpha NEX-7 NEX5R Samsung NX1000 Sony E 55-210mm F4.5-6.3 OSS +10 more
captura
Like?
Re: re: the APS-C has one very important, distinct advantage over FF...
In reply to parallaxproblem, 10 months ago

parallaxproblem wrote:

jpr2 wrote:

parallaxproblem wrote:

Yes, I also think the camera will be popular

However I hope they let us use the new PDAF with A-mount lenses via an existing or new adaptor, and release a new APS-C lens roadmap with some lenses which will utilise this technology at affordable prices, otherwise it will rather seem like a 'last hurrah' for current NEX customers

Also - as a digression, there is a standing question of AF's accuracy - at 11 fps I don't see much space left for a CDAF performing its usual routine of tiny-weeny steps, vacillating around the critical focus position between each consecutive frame - simple there is no enough time for CDAF to do so.

Which means, the speed advantage must be mostly due to the fast CPU (Bionz X), and a very reliable predictive algorithms = quite accurately telling the lens each time where to go in just one very quick, single sweep. A decades-old, well proven, PDAF-classic trick !! Minimizing potential problems due to latency lags, and mass hysteresis.

In other words, the predictive artificial intelligence - esp. for very fast action shooting & tracking, must rely much more on PDAF-part than on CDAF, thus the hybrid-AF solution as known from N6/5R is much less hybrid in a6k than we're accustomed to think given the past experiences,

jpr2

The aditional CPU capabilities of the new camera will certainly play a part in any AF improvements, but maybe there are also some changes on the new sensor which make things better?

We are now in the second/third generation of this technology (16MP APS-C and 24MP FF sensors with OSPDAF) so there must have been some lessons learnt from the previous efforts (and the 'competition' vis-a-vis Nikon 1) which have been fed back into this latest design!

if you remember my list of practical questions concerning the use of a6k the topmost item there was about the LIST (yes, yet another list, but whereas a road map of future lenses seems to be a big, big hurdle for Sony, to compile such a list shouldn't be), an official LIST of all lenses in E-mount which will benefit from the new, supposedly speedy AF on a6k (including also all such FE lenses)

jpr2

Yes, that is a big question: the new PDAF performance looks very interesting, but we need to know what lenses it is relevant to!

-- hide signature --

DUMP the HUMP! A5000 & A6000 success.... campaign for *REAL* NEX-5 and NEX-7 replacement bodies

As I just posted to Neil, the FE55 appears to be a fast hybrid (PDAF) lens, from Sony sources.

Steve

Fujifilm X10 Sony Alpha NEX-7 NEX5R Samsung NX1000 Sony E 55-210mm F4.5-6.3 OSS +10 more
captura
Like?
In reply to photogeek, 10 months ago

photogeek wrote:

Frankly I'm looking at the Fuji side right now. I must have a decent EVF to enjoy a camera. NEX-7 had a number of things going for it: light weight, size, resolution, but EVF wasn't one of those things. I tolerated it, barely. Looks like A6000 isn't the camera I will want to upgrade to, and Sony's new focus on FF puts the future of their APS-C lens lineup into question. I don't want FF. It's huge, heavy, expensive, and unwieldy, that's why I sold my D800E: I rarely took it out of the backpack. If Sony wants to push FF on me, I'll just take my business elsewhere.

An unanswered question remains...will the EVF from the RX1 attach and work on the A6000. It is a huge terrific EVF by all accounts.

FodgeandDurn
New MemberPosts: 9
Like?
In reply to captura, 10 months ago

Someone made a similar point earlier, but to expand:

I have an NEX6 - I've got six lenses for it - I've committed to APS-C E-mount. Sony wants to keep customers like me with mid-depth-wallets hooked, but they know they can't tempt me with an A7 because I can't take my lenses with me.

I'm not going to buy an A6000, and many other users like me aren't.. we're not going to buy a $650 body with numerous compromises for our $1000++ lens collection. And ok the A6000 shows some commitment to the platform, but if they don't release something more up-market soon enthusiasts like me who like to be where the action is aren't going to stick around.

Put it another way: were Sony to produce a weather sealed magnesium alloy body with a large hi-res EVF and an APS-C sensor, costing around $1000-1200, I'd buy it, and so would a lot of others. I'd carry on putting money into the system for another couple of years. Sony know that, they want my money, I suspect they aren't going to ignore that $1200 readily on offer and leave my ass in the wind.

Put yet another way: Fuji, Olympus and Panasonic have far too many good cameras in the huge hole between the A6000 and the A7 to ignore - that gap is going to take too many enthusiasts out of their ecosystem, even if spending R&D in a cramped sector isn't always desirable.

When you buy a Nikon 5200, you buy lenses knowing that there will always be a 7xxx up there in the range for when you want to take your kit further. If you were to buy an OMD EM10 today you'd feel safe buying MFT lenses knowing that Olympus would always have a flagship like the EM1 waiting for you.

When I bought my NEX6 it was with a very clear anticipation of a NEX7 successor that would eventually replace my 6 and make my investment in lenses worthwhile.

If Sony is telling me that the great but compromised A6000 is the best they are going to do for their E-mount APS-C platform, I'm putting the whole lot on Ebay. But the lens platform is maturing nicely, I'm pretty sure they want my $1200 for their A7000, and I'm pretty sure they aren't going to drop me, current focus on FF or no...........

jpr2
Forum ProPosts: 14,018Gear list
Like?
re: for extremely patient = 1 hour, 23 minutes, 15 seconds

captura wrote:

parallaxproblem wrote:

jpr2 wrote:

parallaxproblem wrote:

However I hope they let us use the new PDAF with A-mount lenses via an existing or new adaptor, and release a new APS-C lens roadmap with some lenses which will utilise this technology at affordable prices, otherwise it will rather seem like a 'last hurrah' for current NEX customers

Also - as a digression, there is a standing question of AF's accuracy - at 11 fps I don't see much space left for a CDAF performing its usual routine of tiny-weeny steps, vacillating around the critical focus position between each consecutive frame - simple there is no enough time for CDAF to do so.

Which means, the speed advantage must be mostly due to the fast CPU (Bionz X), and a very reliable predictive algorithms = quite accurately telling the lens each time where to go in just one very quick, single sweep. A decades-old, well proven, PDAF-classic trick !! Minimizing potential problems due to latency lags, and mass hysteresis.

In other words, the predictive artificial intelligence - esp. for very fast action shooting & tracking, must rely much more on PDAF-part than on CDAF, thus the hybrid-AF solution as known from N6/5R is much less hybrid in a6k than we're accustomed to think given the past experiences,

jpr2

The aditional CPU capabilities of the new camera will certainly play a part in any AF improvements, but maybe there are also some changes on the new sensor which make things better?

We are now in the second/third generation of this technology (16MP APS-C and 24MP FF sensors with OSPDAF) so there must have been some lessons learnt from the previous efforts (and the 'competition' vis-a-vis Nikon 1) which have been fed back into this latest design!

if you remember my list of practical questions concerning the use of a6k the topmost item there was about the LIST (yes, yet another list, but whereas a road map of future lenses seems to be a big, big hurdle for Sony, to compile such a list shouldn't be), an official LIST of all lenses in E-mount which will benefit from the new, supposedly speedy AF on a6k (including also all such FE lenses)

jpr2

Yes, that is a big question: the new PDAF performance looks very interesting, but we need to know what lenses it is relevant to!

-- hide signature --

As I just posted to Neil, the FE55 appears to be a fast hybrid (PDAF) lens, from Sony sources.

Steve

a long (and wordy) YT overview of the a6k.

jpr2

blue_skies
Senior MemberPosts: 7,487Gear list
Like?
Re: I think that ...
In reply to blue_skies, 10 months ago

blue_skies wrote:

http://www.sonyalpharumors.com/sr5-trusted-sources-no-a7000-aps-c-e-mount-coming-in-2014-main-focus-on-fe-from-now-on/

So we lost Mic input and AF/MF-lock controls?

This can't be real, can it?

I think that Sony should consider the following:

1. Add the Mic input, AF/MF-lock control, metal body, Tri-Navi, higher res EVF (perhaps tiltable)
  2. Call it A7000
  3. Price it at $800 ($150 more than A6000) 

Then:

1. take the A7, drop the FF sensor and put in the 24Mp APS-C sensor
  2. Call it the A6
  3. Price it at $1,100

and let the markets decide ...

-- hide signature --

Cheers,
Henry

-- hide signature --

Cheers,
Henry

blue_skies's gear list:blue_skies's gear list
Canon PowerShot S95 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony Alpha 7 Sony a6000 +34 more
jpr2
Like?
re: do you mean N7 mk-II non-humped vs. humped??

but... WHY the $100 difference in pricing - the results would be skewed, favoring lower-priced item !!

jpr2

blue_skies
Senior MemberPosts: 7,487Gear list
Like?
Re: re: do you mean N7 mk-II non-humped vs. humped??
In reply to jpr2, 10 months ago

jpr2 wrote:

but... WHY the $100 difference in pricing - the results would be skewed, favoring lower-priced item !!

jpr2

I had:

• $650 - no-hump A6000
  • $800 - no-hump A7000
  • $1,100 - hump A6
  • $1,700 - hump A7

where is the $100 in difference? You mean the $150 delta between the A6000 and A7000?

Perhaps it would skew, so what feature would justify that delta cost?

-- hide signature --

Cheers,
Henry

blue_skies's gear list:blue_skies's gear list
Canon PowerShot S95 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony Alpha 7 Sony a6000 +34 more
jpr2
Like?
re: my fault, sorry

blue_skies wrote:

jpr2 wrote:

jpr2

I had:

• $650 - no-hump A6000
  • $800 - no-hump A7000
  • $1,100 - hump A6
  • $1,700 - hump A7

where is the $100 in difference? You mean the $150 delta between the A6000 and A7000?

Perhaps it would skew, so what feature would justify that delta cost?

I mistook the a7000 to be $1k, and so $100 lower than humped A6 (both APS-C sensored).

Anyway, for non-skewed "lets market decide" data there shouldn't be a price diff. between humped vs. non-humped, as only then we'd have a true photography of users' preference of this single feature, IMO

jpr2

Jabez02
Regular MemberPosts: 406
Like?

well this market of one has decided. Where do I order an A6 ?

hip2
Regular MemberPosts: 449Gear list
Like?

blue_skies wrote:

http://www.sonyalpharumors.com/sr5-trusted-sources-no-a7000-aps-c-e-mount-coming-in-2014-main-focus-on-fe-from-now-on/

-- hide signature --

Cheers,
Henry

The NEX 7 took a long time to arrive after the NEX 5 and 3, already.

so no surprise there.
they will want to master everything the A6000 brings, and still add something we asked for, or something we did not anticipate.

Sony has always been like that.

-- hide signature --

- The French HiP -

hip2's gear list:hip2's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony RX1 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony Alpha 7R +44 more
pew pew
Contributing MemberPosts: 647Gear list
Like?

For me it looks like a awesome camera, and the price is what´s tempting me...

pew pew's gear list:pew pew's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-3N Canon EOS 100D
captura
Like?
In reply to FodgeandDurn, 10 months ago

FodgeandDurn wrote:

I have an NEX6 - I've got six lenses for it - I've committed to APS-C E-mount. Sony wants to keep customers like me with mid-depth-wallets hooked, but they know they can't tempt me with an A7 because I can't take my lenses with me.

I'm not going to buy an A6000, and many other users like me aren't.. we're not going to buy a $650 body with numerous compromises for our $1000++ lens collection. And ok the A6000 shows some commitment to the platform, but if they don't release something more up-market soon enthusiasts like me who like to be where the action is aren't going to stick around.

Put it another way: were Sony to produce a weather sealed magnesium alloy body with a large hi-res EVF and an APS-C sensor, costing around $1000-1200, I'd buy it, and so would a lot of others. I'd carry on putting money into the system for another couple of years. Sony know that, they want my money, I suspect they aren't going to ignore that $1200 readily on offer and leave my ass in the wind.

Put yet another way: Fuji, Olympus and Panasonic have far too many good cameras in the huge hole between the A6000 and the A7 to ignore - that gap is going to take too many enthusiasts out of their ecosystem, even if spending R&D in a cramped sector isn't always desirable.

When you buy a Nikon 5200, you buy lenses knowing that there will always be a 7xxx up there in the range for when you want to take your kit further. If you were to buy an OMD EM10 today you'd feel safe buying MFT lenses knowing that Olympus would always have a flagship like the EM1 waiting for you.

When I bought my NEX6 it was with a very clear anticipation of a NEX7 successor that would eventually replace my 6 and make my investment in lenses worthwhile.

If Sony is telling me that the great but compromised A6000 is the best they are going to do for their E-mount APS-C platform, I'm putting the whole lot on Ebay. But the lens platform is maturing nicely, I'm pretty sure they want my $1200 for their A7000, and I'm pretty sure they aren't going to drop me, current focus on FF or no...........

We only have SAR stating that there will not be an A7000, but most of us believe there will be. You have to believe!

captura
Like?
Re: re: for extremely patient = 1 hour, 23 minutes, 15 seconds

jpr2 wrote:

captura wrote:

parallaxproblem wrote:

jpr2 wrote:

parallaxproblem wrote:

jpr2

jpr2

-- hide signature --

Steve

jpr2

Thanks, sure is long. Here's the article from The Verge with comments by David Pierce which is mentioned.

http://www.theverge.com/2014/2/11/5402904/sony-alpha-a6000-mirrorless-camera-faster-better-and-smaller

http://www.theverge.com/products/alpha-a6000/7605

Steve

jpr2
Like?
reL after several blazing demos...

captura wrote:

jpr2 wrote:

captura wrote:

parallaxproblem wrote:

jpr2 wrote:

parallaxproblem wrote:

jpr2

jpr2

-- hide signature --

Steve

jpr2

Thanks, sure is long. Here's the article from The Verge with comments by David Pierce which is mentioned.

http://www.theverge.com/2014/2/11/5402904/sony-alpha-a6000-mirrorless-camera-faster-better-and-smaller

Steve

...what we (actually the whole photogs' world) need is to see some convincing evidence that the same lightning AF speed can be also attained with lenses of longer FLs, and with targets at sufficiently demanding distances - seeing the parrot flying off its perch at 16mm and with camera close to MFD might be impressive for novices and PT Public, but is hardly a photographer's evidence enough !!

jpr2

Kashmir442
Regular MemberPosts: 186
Like?

FodgeandDurn wrote:

Err... you can actually.

"Numerous compromises"... what now? There's less dots in the EVF and a few people who have looked at it actually said it's a better experience than the old EVF due to refresh rate, etc. If you gotta have that extra resolution, why not buy the MIS shoe one with the money you saved between this and the expensive body you really wanted? Done.

Or did you really love tri-navi that much? I have to admit, I never used it, so maybe I would be turned to the dark side as well if I owned a NEX-7 for a while. But auto-ISO in M mode, as the A6K is sure to have, will eliminate the need for that third dial for most situations anyway.

captura
Like?
Re: reL after several blazing demos...

jpr2 wrote:

captura wrote:

jpr2 wrote:

captura wrote:

parallaxproblem wrote:

jpr2 wrote:

parallaxproblem wrote:

jpr2

jpr2

-- hide signature --

Steve

jpr2

Steve

...what we (actually the whole photogs' world) need is to see some convincing evidence that the same lightning AF speed can be also attained with lenses of longer FLs, and with targets at sufficiently demanding distances - seeing the parrot flying off its perch at 16mm and with camera close to MFD might be impressive for novices and PT Public, but is hardly a photographer's evidence enough !!

jpr2

Step 1 (note to myself) always buy the BEST lens even if you can't afford it. Even if that means you can only have one. You will be rewarded later with successes later by choosing wisely the camera bodies which you shall purchase to match that lens.

Step 2 - don't know yet....

EinsteinsGhost
Like?

Sony didn't tell you that. People are drawing their own conclusions and running around with it, led by rumor sites like SAR. There is zero logic in assuming that a6000 will be the top line APSc model. Sony simply doesn't want people to look forward to their fifth launch/announcement in four months. That is way too many and distracts buyers. Once the dust settles, I would wager on a7000... just as I did with continuation of RF form factor and APSc format that many assumed was no more.

And yes, current focus has to be on FF as it benefits APSc too (lenses). Just as you want choices but limiting to APSc, many of us would like to see choices going beyond APSc (and prefer that lenses be not handicapped by working only on crop bodies).

Sony Cyber-shot DSC-F828 Sony SLT-A55 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony 135mm F2.8 (T4.5) STF Sigma 70mm F2.8 EX DG Macro +12 more
EinsteinsGhost
Like?

blue_skies wrote:

I think that Sony should consider the following:

1. Add the Mic input, AF/MF-lock control, metal body, Tri-Navi, higher res EVF (perhaps tiltable)
  2. Call it A7000
  3. Price it at $800 ($150 more than A6000) 

Then:

1. take the A7, drop the FF sensor and put in the 24Mp APS-C sensor
  2. Call it the A6
  3. Price it at $1,100

and let the markets decide ...

-- hide signature --

Cheers,
Henry

-- hide signature --

Cheers,
Henry

Naah, that would sound too much like GM and Chrysler lineup of the past. Ford was smarter consolidating its line up into a more meaningful, simpler one.

What I expect (and hope) to see is an a7000 that builds on a6000 but gets a7 EVF (even if just for looking better on the spec sheet) and body (weather sealing and all... another bait for the spec sheet buyers), may be weaker AA filter and call it a day with $1200 price tag on it. That would give three different body styles each with increased utility: a5000 at entry level for NEX-3/5 series admirers, a6000 for NEX-6/7 bodystyle admirers and a7000 for those who want to use their APSc camera as a being more than RF style photography tool.

And I doubt Sony will throw APSc into ax series and should not. Actually, I am afraid Sony might throw in A-mount into the ax series, atleast for FF (a8 and/or a9 could be a DSLR form body with ability to support both mounts if that technical challenge were to be addressed somehow) and with FF sensor.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads