dp2 Quattro ergonomic study using a mockup

Started 10 months ago | Discussions
axlotl
Contributing MemberPosts: 919
Like?
dp2 Quattro ergonomic study using a mockup
10 months ago

Wooden mockup of dp2 Quattro showing my least uncomfortable holding position

http://cameraergonomics.blogspot.com.au/2014/02/sigma-dp2-quattro-ergonomic-study.html

I was intrigued by the unusual shape of the dp2 Q and wondered what it would be like to hold and operate. So I made a wooden mockup  to the dimensions stated by the manufacturer with all the buttons and dials in the correct positions. I found any of the numerous trial holding positions  rather awkward and uncomfortable. The oddly shaped handle does not fit the natural contours of my average sized adult male right hand at all. There were also significant problems with the relationship between the shape of the camera, the positions of the various control modules and my hands/fingers.

You can read more at the link above.

Does anyone know why it's so wide ?

Happy reading

Andrew

Sigma DP2
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
marcodadofoto
Senior MemberPosts: 1,182
Like?
Re: dp2 Quattro ergonomic study using a mockup
In reply to axlotl, 10 months ago

Wow!

It is evident how ugly is this camera, the only thing it would save it is if it will be capable of doing wonderful photos.

I don't thing it could sell, anyway, it seems to come out from some weird space-b-movie, so horrible and kitch that, looking and looking it could even become interesting.

Anyway, definitely too big and unconfortable for carrying aroungd only one focal lenghts.

Sigma in this case is a completely "?" to me, let's see the photos (and the price).

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Lord metroid
Regular MemberPosts: 453Gear list
Like?

Wow, what a design failure. I am feeling more and more satisfied with my DP2s. I would have loved to have the new Quattro sensor in a DP2s or Merrill body with a grip.

Lord metroid's gear list:Lord metroid's gear list
Sigma DP2s Sigma DP2 Quattro
Raist3d
Forum ProPosts: 33,352Gear list
Like?
Wow you are "hardcore" ;-)

that's pretty cool.  Interesting.  Thanks for the post.

-- hide signature --

Raist3d/Ricardo (Photographer, software dev.)- I photograph black cats in coal mines at night...
“The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it.” - George Orwell

Lord metroid
Regular MemberPosts: 453Gear list
Like?

How about holding it like a gun? With the thumb on the trigget button, is that comfortable?

Lord metroid's gear list:Lord metroid's gear list
Sigma DP2s Sigma DP2 Quattro
lnikj
Regular MemberPosts: 188Gear list
Like?
In reply to Lord metroid, 10 months ago

If they had just angled it forward instead of backward. Bizarre decision.

lnikj's gear list:lnikj's gear list
Olympus XZ-1 Sigma DP1 Merrill Sigma DP3 Merrill Olympus E-M1
Rudi
Contributing MemberPosts: 633
Like?
In reply to lnikj, 10 months ago

nice work You did, but how does it feel if You hold it with the left hand on the lensbarrel to relieve the right hand from the weight (kind of SLR like and not like a smartphone) ?

HBowman
Senior MemberPosts: 1,180
Like?

It is wide because the battery is bigger and to minimize electromagnetic interferences with the sensor, which is very sensible to electromagnetism.

Shielding very efficiently DP sensors, this one or the old ones, require some big amount of material. You have this place in the SD body, not in the DP.

-- hide signature --
atom14
Senior MemberPosts: 1,348
Like?
Ax-O-lotl, this looks like...

...a DP M&M - all those lolly-buttons!

Tell yer what, buy me one and I will test your hypothesis...

Yours waitingly, at m14.

Tom Schum
Senior MemberPosts: 3,625Gear list
Like?

Very cool!

Here's a question: What simple and slight changes would you make to fix the ergonomics?  Is the design salvageable at all?

-- hide signature --

Tom Schum

Tom Schum's gear list:Tom Schum's gear list
Sigma DP2 Sigma DP3 Merrill Fujifilm X-E1 Sigma 50mm F2.8 EX DG Macro Samyang 85mm F1.4 Aspherical IF +5 more
Gesture
Senior MemberPosts: 2,483Gear list
Like?
In reply to Tom Schum, 10 months ago

1. Neat work. Thanks for the post.

2. Heat sink makes sense.

3. Yes, might as well extend the grip into a proper pistol grip.

4. My original thought was move the lens and sensor more centered for right-left eye, right-left hand.

5. Otherwise, use that extra real estate for something worthwhile. An integral EVF; a true 16:9 sensor and LCD (SigmaPan); model with even wider lens as compactness isn't goal;  DUAL SD CARD SLOTS!!!!!!; or make it swivel like the Coolpix 990/995. Still an extremely useful design.   Since Sigma can't do a tilting, moveable LCD, have the lens swivel. Then, it would be useful.

6. Almost seems like the camera should come apart in modules and accommodate modules. How about remote control/WiFi modules. Ricoh still more imaginative. Styling is nothing special. Using the same materials, buttons, dials, doors, etc. all modern cameras do. Comes closest in my experience to the first successful Coolpix, the 900, or the Alpa late film era modular medium format camera.

Erik Magnuson
Forum ProPosts: 12,100Gear list
Like?
In reply to HBowman, 10 months ago

HBowman wrote:

It is wide because the battery is bigger and to minimize electromagnetic interferences with the sensor, which is very sensible to electromagnetism.

Why is this sensor more sensitive than any other active-pixel CMOS sensor?

Shielding very efficiently DP sensors, this one or the old ones, require some big amount of material.

So how does Sony do it in the RX1 with a much larger sensor but still compact body?

-- hide signature --

Erik

Erik Magnuson's gear list:Erik Magnuson's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 450D Sigma SD10 Sony Alpha NEX-5 Nikon D3200 +28 more
PrebenR
Senior MemberPosts: 2,729
Like?
In reply to Erik Magnuson, 10 months ago

Because you are detecting in 3 layers
--
Lightwriting with Sigma

unknown member
(unknown member)
Like?
Because Sony hides

Erik Magnuson wrote:

HBowman wrote:

Why is this sensor more sensitive than any other active-pixel CMOS sensor?

Shielding very efficiently DP sensors, this one or the old ones, require some big amount of material.

So how does Sony do it in the RX1 with a much larger sensor but still compact body?

the effects of the close proximity between battery and sensor by implementing RAWs as '11 + 7-bit lossy compression scheme: 11-bit range with 7-bit delta values from 14-bit pipeline (8 bits per pixel in effect)'.

See her:

http://diglloyd.com/blog/2014/20140212_2-SonyA7-RawDigger-posterization.html

or here:

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/50577431

The Quattros produce 14 bit (lossless) RAW.

See how much fun is is when neither you nor I have any idea what we are actually talking about (ie what is actually going on)?

Erik Magnuson
Like?
In reply to PrebenR, 10 months ago

PrebenR wrote:

Citation needed?  'Cause it's neither Foveon nor Alt-Vision has ever mentioned this as an issue with X3 sensors in any publication I've seen.  And what about back-side-illuminated sensors?  Surely they would have similar issues.

-- hide signature --

Erik

Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 450D Sigma SD10 Sony Alpha NEX-5 Nikon D3200 +28 more
Halldor Eiriksson
Senior MemberPosts: 1,942Gear list
Like?

Shouldn't there be a left handed version of this camera?

-- hide signature --
 Halldor Eiriksson's gear list:Halldor Eiriksson's gear list
Sigma DP1x Sigma DP2 Merrill Sigma SD15 Sigma 30mm F1.4 EX DC HSM Sigma 50mm F2.8 EX DG Macro +2 more
Erik Magnuson
Like?
Re: Because Sony hides
In reply to mrkr, 10 months ago

mrkr wrote:

the effects of the close proximity between battery and sensor by implementing RAWs as '11 + 7-bit lossy compression scheme: 11-bit range with 7-bit delta values from 14-bit pipeline (8 bits per pixel in effect)'.

Huh? Since this compression impacts sharp tonal transitions, it's not something that would matter for electrical noise which is typically low level banding or something like thermal noise.

See how much fun is is when neither you nor I have any idea what we are actually talking about (ie what is actually going on)?

It's how HBowman knows what's going on that I'm attempting to find out.

-- hide signature --

Erik

Erik Magnuson
Like?
In reply to Halldor Eiriksson, 10 months ago

Halldor Eiriksson wrote:

Shouldn't there be a left handed version of this camera?

Hold it upside down.

-- hide signature --

Erik

unknown member
(unknown member)
Like?
External signal interference

Erik Magnuson wrote:

PrebenR wrote:

Citation needed? 'Cause it's neither Foveon nor Alt-Vision has ever mentioned this as an issue with X3 sensors in any publication I've seen. And what about back-side-illuminated sensors? Surely they would have similar issues.

causing banding noise is quite common for all types of CMOS based sensors (I believe).

Wouldn't it then make sense to separate the battery and the sensor as much as possible?

Disclaimer: I have really no idea what I'm talking about, but it sounds good.

Erik Magnuson
Like?
Re: External signal interference
In reply to mrkr, 10 months ago

mrkr wrote:

causing banding noise is quite common for all types of CMOS based sensors (I believe).

Noisy lens motors have been a culprit more than once.

Wouldn't it then make sense to separate the battery and the sensor as much as possible?

The battery itself is not noisy.   The sheilding in a previous gen DP does not look significantly different than any similar camera.

-- hide signature --

Erik

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads