It's not a really big deal but I got a Magazine Cover.

Started 9 months ago | Discussions
brecklundin
Senior MemberPosts: 1,995Gear list
Like?
It's not a really big deal but I got a Magazine Cover.
9 months ago

I've been shooting a bunch of promo shots and interior design for a client. And low & behold one of my shots was picked as the cover for a magazine promoting the area. It's not a big time thing but none the less, I felt happy all day since I found out last night. Better still it's part of a much larger marketing plan and I am going to get a lot of fun stuff to shoot.

It's been so much fun I can't express it completely.

Everyone here should get to work on a project like this, it really does light a fire under you creatively. Of course losing my bag of gear the day before Christmas was not fun...thankfully I did not notice it until after Christmas. But we're gonna replace it soon enough.

Here is the cover:

Here is the magazine:

http://issuu.com/indulgeslo/docs/indulge_magazine_-_feb_2014_final_s/3?e=5432434/6691832

They tightened up the crop a tad but otherwise didn't edit it at all.  I also shot the inset over the TOC on pg 4.  There are a few more of my shots in there as well.  I never think of people actually liking my photos, really I don't.

I can't share more right now until the selection process is done then I have some freedom to share a lot more.  It's the old NDA thing...but it's still FUN.  

klimbkat
Senior MemberPosts: 1,414Gear list
Like?
Re: It's not a really big deal but I got a Magazine Cover.
In reply to brecklundin, 9 months ago

Excellent - well deserved for a great shot.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
brecklundin
Like?
In reply to klimbkat, 9 months ago

klimbkat wrote:

Excellent - well deserved for a great shot.

Thanks Doug.  I blame the gear.  

awaldram
Forum ProPosts: 10,801Gear list
Like?

Rubbish ! it is a big thing , you have put a lot of effort into your project you have every right to be excited and proud of the results.

Even better sharing your pleasure is good and I really enjoyed your cover and post.

Let us know how it goes with your later shoots

awaldram's gear list:awaldram's gear list
Pentax Q Pentax K-3 Pentax smc DA 40mm F2.8 Limited Pentax smc DA* 16-50mm F2.8 ED AL (IF) SDM Pentax smc DA* 50-135mm F2.8 ED (IF) SDM +11 more
LightBug
Senior MemberPosts: 1,305Gear list
Like?

Congrats!  That's a great achievement!

Joey

LightBug's gear list:LightBug's gear list
Pentax K-30 Pentax Q Pentax smc DA* 50-135mm F2.8 ED (IF) SDM Pentax smc DA 55-300mm F4.0-5.8 ED Pentax smc DA 15mm F4 ED AL Limited +5 more
brecklundin
Like?
In reply to awaldram, 9 months ago

awaldram wrote:

Rubbish ! it is a big thing , you have put a lot of effort into your project you have every right to be excited and proud of the results.

Even better sharing your pleasure is good and I really enjoyed your cover and post.

Let us know how it goes with your later shoots

thanks so much for your thoughtful comment.  It is exciting for sure...and I'm glad you enjoyed me talking about it a bit.  You know how it is, only your photo pals "get it".  At least we can all have some fun with it.

As I get shots I can post that are interesting I'll share...since it's the good folks here who have always been helpful at keeping me playing at this.  And actually a lot of the shots I've shared recently here and on Flickr were shot during my trips to the area.

I was actually at a pretty low point motivation wise for a couple years almost, just did not want to put out the effort to go shoot...and out of nowhere this opportunity showed up and I feel so engaged again it's great.

I've got an interesting shoot on a loose plan with a former Miss Florida USA from the mid-70s to do a very artistic shoot.  I mean here is someone who modeled all over the planet for decades and shot with Guy Bourdin in his famous catalogs and Polaroid shoots, she was a fav of his, and she asked me to shoot her!!  I'm so looking forward to learning from all her experience as I've never done much with live models, well no dead ones either but that is a given I suppose.  But most of all it has been about having fun doing this again.

brecklundin
Like?
In reply to LightBug, 9 months ago

LightBug wrote:

Congrats! That's a great achievement!

Joey

Appreciated Joey, it has had me happy all day and will for a while i suppose.  

Adam Aitken
Senior MemberPosts: 1,469Gear list
Like?

Great work brecklundin. Did they ask for particular images, or did you just send them stuff? I ask because I am interested in how the magaziine cover format requires different composition - I mean you need space at the tope of the image fr the magazine title etc. I read somewhere that stock photography requires this sort of thinking too.

More covers for you!

Adam A

-- hide signature --

http://www.flickr.com/photos/86405024@N06
'Photography is nothing else than a writing of light' - Eduardo Cadava (and a whole lot of other stuff!)

Adam Aitken's gear list:Adam Aitken's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX5 Pentax K-5 II Pentax K-7 HD Pentax DA 35mm F2.8 Macro Limited HD Pentax DA 70mm F2.4 AL Limited +2 more
emem
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,366Gear list
Like?
Congratulations and ...............

.... it IS a big deal. You're obviously very pleased with yourself and as "happy as a pig in mud" as they say - and so you should be.

-- hide signature --

Mike McEnaney. (emem)
www.veritasmea.com

backayonder
Senior MemberPosts: 1,099Gear list
Like?
Well done and it just shows

That you don't need a Canon or a Nikon to get a front cover or even 36 million pixels as a few years ago I also got a front cover shooting with a istDs

-- hide signature --
DAVID MANZE
Senior MemberPosts: 1,753Gear list
Like?
Re: Well done and it just shows
In reply to backayonder, 9 months ago

In a world where everybody and his brother are photographers, you can take great pride in your publication, well done!

-- hide signature --

Dave's clichés

DAVID MANZE's gear list:DAVID MANZE's gear list
Sigma 50-500mm F4.5-6.3 DG OS HSM Pentax K-5 Pentax K20D Pentax K-01 Pentax K-3 +14 more
Stig Vidar Hovland
Senior MemberPosts: 1,722
Like?
Of course it's a big deal :-)

Congrats!

ozdean
Forum ProPosts: 20,539Gear list
Like?

Congratulations Breck

-- hide signature --

Regards Dean - Capturing Creation
N.B. All my Images are Protected by Copyright

ozdean's gear list:ozdean's gear list
Pentax MX-1 Pentax smc DA 15mm F4 ED AL Limited Pentax smc DA 70mm F2.4 AL Limited Pentax smc DA* 60-250mm F4.0 ED (IF) SDM Pentax smc D-FA 100mm F2.8 Macro WR +7 more
HozicEmir
Contributing MemberPosts: 679
Like?
It is

gratz.

it is a big deal. keep that way

maranatha
Contributing MemberPosts: 774Gear list
Like?
Re: It is
In reply to HozicEmir, 9 months ago
-- hide signature --

well done this is excellent thanks for sharing it and there's nothing wrong with giving ourselves a pat on the pack you deserve it we all need encouragement from time to time .paul

ps sorry you to you lost your gear . 

Paul Hegarty N Ireland
A question is only easy when you know the answer

maranatha's gear list:maranatha's gear list
Pentax K-5 II Pentax smc DA 16-45mm F4 ED AL Pentax smc DA 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 AL WR
pixelsmithy
Regular MemberPosts: 206Gear list
Like?

On the contrary, it is a pretty big deal! Congratulations, it is a very nice image.

pixelsmithy's gear list:pixelsmithy's gear list
Pentax K-3 Pentax K-01 Pentax *ist D Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM Pentax smc DA 16-45mm F4 ED AL +2 more
KL Matt
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,220
Like?
Congrats!

Nice shot!

Matt

-- hide signature --

... interested in .... photographs? Heh? Know what a mean? Photographs? (He asked him knowingly). Nudge nudge, snap snap, grin grin, wink wink, say no more, say no more, know what a' mean? Know what a' mean?
http://www.pentaxphotogallery.com/home#section=ARTIST&subSection=183820&subSubSection=0&language=EN

leopold
Forum ProPosts: 12,736Gear list
Like?

Great shot and congratulation for the publication !

Deserved it.

leopold's gear list:leopold's gear list
Fujifilm X-E1 Canon EOS 7D Fujifilm XF 27mm F2.8 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Canon EF 400mm f/5.6L USM +3 more
MightyMike
Forum ProPosts: 30,906
Like?

Well done!

-- hide signature --

Mike from Canada
"I am not a great photographer! God is a great creator! All I do is capture His creation with the tools He has provided me."
'I like to think so far outside the box that it would require a telephoto lens just to see the box!' ~ 'My Quote :)'
http://www.michaelfastphotography.com/galleries/VP-BDI_3a.jpg
http://www.airliners.net/search/photo.search?sort_order=views%20DESC&first_this_page=0&page_limit=180&&emailsearch=mighty_mike88%40hotmail.com&thumbnails=

Joseph Tainter
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,467
Like?

Hey, congratulations.

Joe

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads