The Quattro is Ugly

Started 6 months ago | Discussions
lnikj
Regular MemberPosts: 188Gear list
Like?
Re: Vital issue
In reply to Gesture, 6 months ago

Gesture wrote:

The core minimalist shell is very much like the latest from Sony and Samsung. There is nothing exceptional here, just some questionable choices.

For right-handers, the hand will probably adjust to that grip, but a forward projecting grip, as camera after camera has, is simply more comfortable and balances the thumb with the fingers. I wish Sigma had really thought modular: lenses; multiple grips; add-ons for EVF, remote; swivel capability, etc.

There's a lot of potential in making the camera longer, but this design doesn't realize them.

Indeed. Pick up a camera with a forward grip (i.e. practically any dslr etc) with your left hand and with the lens pointing towards you.

That gives you an approximation of how the DPxQs might feel. Not good IMHO.

edit: For right-handers I mean. Imagine it was in your right hand. OR hold it upside down in your right hand!

lnikj's gear list:lnikj's gear list
Olympus XZ-1 Sigma DP1 Merrill Sigma DP3 Merrill Olympus E-M1
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Roland Karlsson
Forum ProPosts: 20,474Gear list
Like?
Re: The Quattro is Uglyxxxx too Large
In reply to phazelag, 6 months ago

The Quattro is too large.

I do not really care if it is ugly.

But - the form factor makes it almost impossible to understand how you are supposed to carry it around.

Shall it hang vertical or horizontal?

Shall I sew some special pockets in/on my clothes?

Maybe a hat with a Quattro holder?

Roland Karlsson's gear list:Roland Karlsson's gear list
Canon PowerShot G10 Pentax K-5 Pentax smc DA 15mm F4 ED AL Limited Pentax smc FA 50mm F1.4 Pentax smc DA 21mm F3.2 AL Limited +6 more
Roland Karlsson
Like?
Re: The Quattro is Ugly
In reply to rick decker, 6 months ago

rick decker wrote:

It reminds me of the time when the Beetle was introduced...it was considered ugly but later in its life won beauty awards.

It is not really that an odd-ball size when you think of the 617 cameras out - especially the Fotoman 617.

I would not mind this size if it had a 6x17 cm sensor, not even if it was 4x12 cm.

Canon PowerShot G10 Pentax K-5 Pentax smc DA 15mm F4 ED AL Limited Pentax smc FA 50mm F1.4 Pentax smc DA 21mm F3.2 AL Limited +6 more
PrebenR
Senior MemberPosts: 2,552
Like?
In reply to Roland Karlsson, 6 months ago

Roland Karlsson wrote:

The Quattro is too large.

I do not really care if it is ugly.

But - the form factor makes it almost impossible to understand how you are supposed to carry it around.

Shall it hang vertical or horizontal?

Shall I sew some special pockets in/on my clothes?

Maybe a hat with a Quattro holder?

Too large? It is shorter than my remote control.

-- hide signature --

Lightwriting with Sigma

Beaverhelmet
Contributing MemberPosts: 562Gear list
Like?
In reply to Gesture, 6 months ago

Gesture wrote:

The core minimalist shell is very much like the latest from Sony and Samsung.

Since I am coming from the Sony camp, it's no big surprise that I am one of those who think the Quattro looks great. The minimalist stripped and unobtrusive styling appeals to me very much.

I studied industrial design at college, and I think the Quattro concept ticks several of the ten principles of good design, introduced by the design legend Dieter Rams. If you look att Apple and their designs, it is quite obvious that they are followers of these principles. If the Quattro had come in white, or bare aluminum, with an apple logo and iCam written on it, it would have been recieved as an Apple product without hesitation.

Now remains to see if the ergonomics actually works, and if it can deliver that Foveon magic I know people over here cherish. That is after all what matters the most.

Beaverhelmet's gear list:Beaverhelmet's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony SLT-A77 Sony Alpha 7R Sony Cyber-shot DSC-F707 +6 more
Lord metroid
Regular MemberPosts: 336Gear list
Like?
In reply to Beaverhelmet, 6 months ago

Most apple products are not ergonomic at all!

Quattro is dead ugly, I wish they had kept the Merrill body and simply upgraded the internals. Perhaps adding a normal grip for the larger battery, that is all. I will definetly stick to my DP2s for a long time. Probably until it breaks.

Lord metroid's gear list:Lord metroid's gear list
Sigma DP2s
Rudi
Contributing MemberPosts: 588
Like?
In reply to Beaverhelmet, 6 months ago

Beaverhelmet wrote:

Now remains to see if the ergonomics actually works, and if it can deliver that Foveon magic I know people over here cherish. That is after all what matters the most.

... seems to be quiet convenient if You consider how one uses the camera without an OVF.

You whatch the display for framing and adjustments and hold the camera somewhere around one foot away from Your body. The more I think about it the more I think this design is great and might be quiet comfortable. It is a welcome diversion from all the ordinary and so called retro designs we see from other manufacturers.

Roland Karlsson
Like?
In reply to PrebenR, 6 months ago

PrebenR wrote:
Too large? It is shorter than my remote control.

Remote contol? Is that what you call it?

Hmmmm ... your remote control is irrelevant ... it is stationary somewhere in the TV room. A camera you have with you.

Rudi
Contributing MemberPosts: 588
Like?
In reply to Roland Karlsson, 6 months ago

... guess he wouldn´t take photos with his remote control except it´s an iPhone

n3eg
Contributing MemberPosts: 549Gear list
Like?
Re: The Quattro is Ugly
In reply to phazelag, 6 months ago

Point it straight up and it looks like a pocket 110 camera.

-- hide signature --

It ain't easy being me, but someone's gotta do it.

n3eg's gear list:n3eg's gear list
Kodak EasyShare Z990 Olympus PEN E-PL5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 II R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R Olympus M.Zuiko ED 75-300mm 1:4.8-6.7 II +20 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads