The Quattro is Ugly

Started 7 months ago | Discussions
phazelag
Senior MemberPosts: 2,232Gear list
Like?
The Quattro is Ugly
7 months ago

I am very interested in the DP2 Quattro and I will always take performance and function over looks and style, but really?  I just checked it out on http://camerasize.com/compact/#456,454,534,532,ha,t

and it is quite repulsive to me.  Anyone else?  It wont stop me from buying it as long as it lives up to what I think it will.

phazelag's gear list:phazelag's gear list
Sigma DP3 Merrill Ricoh GR Panasonic Lumix DMC-LF1 RX100 III Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ1000
Sigma DP2
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Kassra
Regular MemberPosts: 165Gear list
Like?
Re: The Quattro is Ugly
In reply to phazelag, 7 months ago

If the form is truly functional, then in time it will grow on everyone.  only time will tell.

Kassra's gear list:Kassra's gear list
Sigma DP1 Merrill Sigma DP3 Merrill
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
mike earussi
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,745
Like?

and very large, so large in fact that I don't see the point of its existence. If I'm going to shoot a large camera I'd prefer a full fledged dslr with interchangeable lenses. But as an attention getter for free PR it's great.  But if the resolution comes close to a D800E then it sell.

phazelag
Senior MemberPosts: 2,232Gear list
Like?
In reply to mike earussi, 7 months ago

mike earussi wrote:

and very large, so large in fact that I don't see the point of its existence. If I'm going to shoot a large camera I'd prefer a full fledged dslr with interchangeable lenses. But as an attention getter for free PR it's great. But if the resolution comes close to a D800E then it sell.

Yes good point, I was trying to imagine carrying it and not sure how I would do it.  Also if the lenses are that large why not just make them interchangeable?

phazelag's gear list:phazelag's gear list
Sigma DP3 Merrill Ricoh GR Panasonic Lumix DMC-LF1 RX100 III Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ1000
rick decker
Forum ProPosts: 11,824
Like?

It reminds me of the time when the Beetle was introduced...it was considered ugly but later in its life won beauty awards.

It is not really that an odd-ball size when you think of the 617 cameras out - especially the Fotoman 617.

JamieTux
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,789Gear list
Like?
In reply to rick decker, 7 months ago

rick decker wrote:

It reminds me of the time when the Beetle was introduced...it was considered ugly but later in its life won beauty awards.

It is not really that an odd-ball size when you think of the 617 cameras out - especially the Fotoman 617.

Those cameras were my first thought too, of course the shape was functional there!

JamieTux's gear list:JamieTux's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH +12 more
Raist3d
Forum ProPosts: 33,020Gear list
Like?
I actually think the design is visually very good

my concern is usability and size. The usability i will have to play with one. The size applying specifically to me for street life work.

I don't see the size being a major issue for a landscape or portrait photographer.

Although I have to hold it and even walk around with one to see how this feels- strangely enough because it's all black without major marks in the front, I get the impression it will not draw on the streets as much attention from people as I would have first thought- but I will only know when I hold one.

This to me is key because I do not want to draw attention for street work.

All that said, I really think the design visually is pretty interesting and in person as it will be "smaller than what it seems in these shots" it will have a certain aspect of cool.

I like the design visually because it does not look to me gimmicky or cheesy. It looks like mixing style with some future while keeping a certain respect to "camera tool." I like that.

-- hide signature --

Raist3d/Ricardo (Photographer, software dev.)- I photograph black cats in coal mines at night...
“The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it.” - George Orwell

Raist3d
Forum ProPosts: 33,020Gear list
Like?
In reply to rick decker, 7 months ago

rick decker wrote:

Interesting you mention that. I find the design of the Quattro visually "growing on me."  I really want to check out usability though.

-- hide signature --

Raist3d/Ricardo (Photographer, software dev.)- I photograph black cats in coal mines at night...
“The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it.” - George Orwell

AdamT
Forum ProPosts: 56,575Gear list
Like?
It look like a Digital Shillelagh

It look like a Digital Shillelagh from the people who styled the Lytro camera ....... not good , it`d not be so bad if they`d used all that space for more buttons, dials and to squeeze in an EVF at left but they didn`t of course ......... look great for walloping someone with though - preferably the idiot who did the styling .

Grab Merrils cheap while you can folks

-- hide signature --

** Please ignore the Typos, I'm the world's worst Typist **

AdamT's gear list:AdamT's gear list
Sigma DP1 Canon PowerShot G1 X Nikon Coolpix P330 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Samsung NX210 +1 more
Kendall Helmstetter Gelner
Forum ProPosts: 18,419Gear list
Like?
Not all agree

phazelag wrote:

I am very interested in the DP2 Quattro and I will always take performance and function over looks and style, but really? I just checked it out on http://camerasize.com/compact/#456,454,534,532,ha,t

and it is quite repulsive to me. Anyone else? It wont stop me from buying it as long as it lives up to what I think it will.

The shape is unusual, and like other unusual shapes it takes getting used to.

Read the hands-on report here on DPReview, the comments below are very interesting - there are a lot more people who like the shape than I would have thought.

Also it can be the case, that some things you think look ugly in pictures actually look good in person (as any photographer knows!).  There are more than a few cars I've not liked in photographs but appreciated more in person.

I personally like things that are different, so to me the shape is appealing.  But I still want to see it in person before making up my mind.

Kendall Helmstetter Gelner's gear list:Kendall Helmstetter Gelner's gear list
Sigma 70-200mm F2.8 EX DG OS HSM Sigma 8-16mm F4.5-5.6 DC HSM Sigma 24-70mm F2.8 EX DG HSM Sigma 50-500mm F4.5-6.3 DG OS HSM Sigma 85mm F1.4 EX DG HSM +4 more
marcodadofoto
Contributing MemberPosts: 914
Like?

it is (ugly).

Grijs
Junior MemberPosts: 27
Like?
In reply to marcodadofoto, 7 months ago

An other classification: Exotic and brave.
But I don't think it is a smart move and too opportunistic.
Small and light used to be a feature of the DP-series, now you can fill two flat hands with it.
Sigma is just not a very good and wise camera-builder; for all that.. their cameras make excellent pictures.
They need to find a partner, like Ricoh found Pentax, in order to make better cameras.

-- hide signature --
brittonx
Senior MemberPosts: 2,383Gear list
Like?

I love things that are different.  I really like the look of the DP Quattros.

-- hide signature --
 brittonx's gear list:brittonx's gear list
Sigma DP1 Sigma SD14 Sigma SD15 Sigma SD1 Sigma 18-200mm F3.5-6.3 DC OS HSM +4 more
D Cox
Senior MemberPosts: 7,651
Like?

phazelag wrote:

I am very interested in the DP2 Quattro and I will always take performance and function over looks and style, but really? I just checked it out on http://camerasize.com/compact/#456,454,534,532,ha,t

and it is quite repulsive to me. Anyone else? It wont stop me from buying it as long as it lives up to what I think it will.

I don't find it ugly. I do find the common blobby design of many DSLRs ugly - for instance, the Nikon D800.

The Quattro camera looks functional.

D Cox
Senior MemberPosts: 7,651
Like?
Re: I actually think the design is visually very good
In reply to Raist3d, 7 months ago

Raist3d wrote:

my concern is usability and size. The usability i will have to play with one. The size applying specifically to me for street life work.

The usability will be limited by the lack of a hinge on the LCD.

I don't see the size being a major issue for a landscape or portrait photographer.

Although I have to hold it and even walk around with one to see how this feels- strangely enough because it's all black without major marks in the front, I get the impression it will not draw on the streets as much attention from people as I would have first thought- but I will only know when I hold one.

This to me is key because I do not want to draw attention for street work.

This is where the waist-level viewing of a hinged LCD helps.

All that said, I really think the design visually is pretty interesting and in person as it will be "smaller than what it seems in these shots" it will have a certain aspect of cool.

I like the design visually because it does not look to me gimmicky or cheesy. It looks like mixing style with some future while keeping a certain respect to "camera tool." I like that.

I think it looks OK, but nothing special. It doesn't have the class of the best Leicas.

PrebenR
Senior MemberPosts: 2,706
Like?

phazelag wrote:

and it is quite repulsive to me. Anyone else?

Not me. I like the look of the design.

For me the Df is really ugly. Not that I don't like retro, but the Df just looks like a mess. I like the minimalisti

-- hide signature --

Lightwriting with Sigma

motomanDK
Regular MemberPosts: 450Gear list
Like?

phazelag wrote:

-- hide signature --

It's different - might have to get used to the looks, but it isn't ugly!!

-- hide signature --

/Henrik - Denmark
(SD14 and 2 * SD15 ... and about 5 kg glass)

motomanDK's gear list:motomanDK's gear list
Sigma SD14 Sigma SD15 Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM Sigma 70-200mm F2.8 EX DG OS HSM Sigma 50mm F2.8 EX DG Macro +4 more
Paul CampbellCastle
Regular MemberPosts: 139Gear list
Like?
In reply to motomanDK, 7 months ago

Proof will be in the holding and using but to me it looks a beautiful bit of form-following-function modern design. There are plenty of conventional and faux-retro cameras about for those who want them. I rather cherish Sigma (and Ricoh) for their passion to go their own way.

SandyF
Forum ProPosts: 14,875Gear list
Like?

Personally I don't care what it looks like, as long as the output does what I want! Appearance is more for those who are conscious of what others think about their camera IMHO.

Best regards, Sandy
http://www.pbase.com/sandyfleischman (archival)
http://www.flickr.com/photos/sandyfleischmann (current)

SandyF's gear list:SandyF's gear list
Sigma DP2 Sigma DP1 Sigma DP2 Merrill Canon EOS 5D Mark II Sigma SD9 +5 more
Richard Franiec
Senior MemberPosts: 2,212Gear list
Like?
In reply to Paul CampbellCastle, 7 months ago

Paul CampbellCastle wrote:

Proof will be in the holding and using but to me it looks a beautiful bit of form-following-function modern design. There are plenty of conventional and faux-retro cameras about for those who want them. I rather cherish Sigma (and Ricoh) for their passion to go their own way.

I hope that the first impression reviewers have patience and opportunity to play with this design before formulating their opinions.

As I've mention in other thread, the impressions of holding my jig saw piece of wood approximating the shape of dpQ changes from confusion to appreciation and delight with every consecutive grab.

And yes, the design is beautiful if you allow yourself to open your mind.

Richard

Richard Franiec's gear list:Richard Franiec's gear list
Sigma DP2 Merrill Canon EOS-1D Mark IV Canon EOS-1D X Canon EOS M Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 +5 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads