Joseph T Lewis III
Senior MemberPosts: 1,580Gear list
Like?
Re: Show me your neck straps.
In reply to Bob Tullis, 8 months ago

Bob Tullis wrote:

Joseph T Lewis III wrote:

Bob

How does the Domke strap compare length-wise, to the original E-M1 strap? I find the OEM E-M1 strap seems a bit short; shorter than the one that came with my E-M5. If the Domke strap is longer than the factory strap that came with the E-M1, that would make it very appealing to me.

Not sure - I never took the Oly strap out of its wrapper. I'll try to make the time.

In the meanwhile B&H's site says:

Adjustable length up to 42" (107cm)

-- hide signature --

...Bob, NYC
http://www.bobtullis.com
http://www.flickr.com/photos/bobtullis/
"Well, sometimes the magic works. . . Sometimes, it doesn't." - Chief Dan George, Little Big Man

Hi Bob, thanks for the comeback.

I have the E-M1 strap on my camera, without much slack at all on either side.  In that configuration it measures about 40 inches (several different tries using a yardstick up from one side all the way around to the other), and rests above my navel.  I figure if I let out all the slack I could get maybe an inch more on either side at most, which would bring me to the 42" length you mention from the Domke specs.  So, that's why I asked the question...if the Domke strap is the same length as the Oly strap, I'll just stick with the one that came with the camera.

PS.  At 67 I do have a bit of a "gut", but I am not grossly obese or anything...I would just like to be able to carry the camera lower down towards my belt!!

-- hide signature --

Tom

Joseph T Lewis III's gear list:Joseph T Lewis III's gear list
Olympus XZ-1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12-50mm 1:3.5-6.3 EZ Olympus E-M1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 +6 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Paul Auclair
Senior MemberPosts: 2,874Gear list
Like?
Plastic buckles??
In reply to SteveFromNY, 8 months ago

I thought the main reason folks were swapping out Oly's OEM straps were due to their plastic buckles (cracking/breaking)

In this thread I've seen a lot of cool/comfortable looking non-OEM strap but I've seen plenty of those with plastic buckles too.

Actually I have not seen any metalic buckles of the images at this thread (I did not look at all the posts).

I still use the OEM straps (no issues in 15 years with Oly's OEM straps) but if I did swap out I'd look for metal buckles firstly and comfort secondly.

-- hide signature --

Thanks,
Paul

Paul Auclair's gear list:Paul Auclair's gear list
Olympus E-1 Olympus E-5 Olympus E-3 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 +19 more
Michael Meissner
Forum ProPosts: 23,143Gear list
Like?
Re: Plastic buckles??
In reply to Paul Auclair, 8 months ago

Paul Auclair wrote:

Actually I have not seen any metalic buckles of the images at this thread (I did not look at all the posts).

I still use the OEM straps (no issues in 15 years with Oly's OEM straps) but if I did swap out I'd look for metal buckles firstly and comfort secondly.

The Domke gripper straps have metal swivel clips.  For the larger quick release clips, I would worry that a metal clip would wind up scratching my lcd.

Note, I use my Domke strap in a slightly different method than the manufacturer suggests.  The Domke strap consists of the shoulder strap, with a fixed D-ring on each each, and two 3/8" straps that you feed through the camera's strap holders, with metal clips on the end.  I reverse it, and use the metal clips to attach to the ring you normally attach the strap to, and use the metal clips to attach to the shoulder pad.  This way, when I take off the strap, I don't have a long tail hanging off the camera.

Michael Meissner's gear list:Michael Meissner's gear list
Olympus C-2100 UZ Olympus Tough TG-2 Olympus Stylus 1 Olympus E-5 Olympus PEN E-PM2 +19 more
fortwodriver
Regular MemberPosts: 167
Like?

I got an Artisan and Artist EasySlider strap (ACAM-E25R).  It was about 70$ on ebay.  Normally I wouldn't drop this sort of cash on a strap but I had a gift card so I decided to give it a try.

I tried my wife's BlackRapid strap but didn't really like it - and I've been looking for something similar.

It's really nice.  It's got a double buckle mechanism that you put your finger through and you can raise or lower the camera.  I wear mine over the shoulder-across the chest.  Works great!

-- hide signature --

Cheerio...
Frank...

Ron Evers
Senior MemberPosts: 1,116Gear list
Like?
Re: I prefer metal swivel clips.
In reply to Michael Meissner, 8 months ago

Straps can be quickly removed or attached.

My wife likes the no-slip neoprene strap.

-- hide signature --

The wood is clear between the knots.

Ron Evers's gear list:Ron Evers's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Olympus PEN E-PM1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R +11 more
RGiskard
Regular MemberPosts: 272Gear list
Like?
Re: I prefer metal swivel clips.
In reply to Ron Evers, 8 months ago

I bought a Blackrapid knockoff on Amazon for about $12 and added a small metal mounting point that screws into the tripod mount for another $5.  I like the shoulder strap idea more than a neck strap, and the pad is large and comfortable (it even has a small zip pocket, which could be useful for a lens cap or something).  I haven't used it enough to have a real opinion yet, but it seems to be a good option if you like a sling but don't want to drop $50 or $70 on a Blackrapid.

RGiskard's gear list:RGiskard's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75mm 1:1.8 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH +9 more
jennajenna
Senior MemberPosts: 1,171
Like?

mickey all the way.

watcher1
Regular MemberPosts: 115Gear list
Like?
Another vote for the Bosstrap
In reply to AndyW17, 8 months ago

I use them for my E-m1 and E-M5. It attaches to the camera lug, not the tripod hole. Made of seat belt fabric and so folds into a very small space, but is strong. Comes in several widths and with quick-release option.

Check out this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j9yGllu3BTM&feature=youtu.be

Highly recommended

watcher1's gear list:watcher1's gear list
Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS Panasonic Lumix G X Vario 35-100mm F2.8 OIS Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX100 III Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH +4 more
Ron Evers
Senior MemberPosts: 1,116Gear list
Like?
Re: Another vote for the Bosstrap
In reply to watcher1, 8 months ago

watcher1 wrote:

I use them for my E-m1 and E-M5. It attaches to the camera lug, not the tripod hole. Made of seat belt fabric and so folds into a very small space, but is strong. Comes in several widths and with quick-release option.

Check out this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j9yGllu3BTM&feature=youtu.be

Highly recommended

After having the left strap lug fall off on my E-M5, I would be very much against this strap.

The tripod mount is far more secure.

-- hide signature --

The wood is clear between the knots.

Ron Evers's gear list:Ron Evers's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Olympus PEN E-PM1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R +11 more
PurpleFringe
Regular MemberPosts: 414Gear list
Like?
Re: +2 for Op Tech and Camdapter
In reply to dv312, 8 months ago

I've gone without a neck strap for years, using only the Camdapter hand strap modified slightly.

http://camdapter.com/handstrap.html

With the much heavier E-M1, I've found the Optech Utility strap to be pretty useful.

http://optechusa.com/straps/utility-strap.html

PurpleFringe's gear list:PurpleFringe's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Olympus PEN E-P1 Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS +3 more
cdmackay
Forum MemberPosts: 64
Like?

Another vote for Gordy's straps.

For those with multiple cameras, instead of getting one strap for each, you can get Gordy's "sling strap connector" stubs - about an inch long, with a carabiner to connect your strap. Then leave the stubs on the camera, and move the straps around. The stubs optionally come with integral bumpers, to protect the camera.

I have several cameras with stubs, and just one each of Gordy's neck and wrist straps.

phazelag
Senior MemberPosts: 2,342Gear list
Like?
Re: Neat.
In reply to Jeff Tokayer, 8 months ago

Jeff Tokayer wrote:

phazelag wrote:

SteveFromNY wrote:

I'm looking for one, and would love to see what you guys have. If you can, please post pics attached to your camera. Thanks.

I use blackrapid r-Straps on all my cameras except compacts. This is the smaller lighter "metro" strap. I don't like cameras pulling on my neck. These are shoulder straps that let the camera flow freely up and down. You can easily adjust the positioning and they even make a tripod adapter mount so you can use it with a tripod adapter plate.

http://www.blackrapid.com/products/metro

-- hide signature --

Can you describe your gear? I can see the RDS, and the custom lens support.

-- hide signature --

My nickel, since the penny is being discontinued...
Jeff.

Thats a Panasonic FZ200 with a Nikon 1.5 Teleconverter and rubber hood. I have a tripod collar and grip from opteka

phazelag's gear list:phazelag's gear list
Ricoh GR Panasonic Lumix DMC-LF1 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX100 III Sigma DP3 Merrill Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ1000
intruder61
Senior MemberPosts: 2,650Gear list
Like?

SteveFromNY wrote:

intruder61 wrote:

Gordy strap, 55 inches, sits on the hip.

I was actually looking at the gordy straps. how comfy is this one?

very.....and light.

tgutgu
Senior MemberPosts: 3,281Gear list
Like?
Re: Peak Design Leash
In reply to Klarno, 8 months ago

Klarno wrote:

Neck straps are universally ergonomically awful, and the ones that are the least awful ergonomically are also the least likely to actually fit in a camera bag. Slings are the solution to world peace. You can use it as a neck strap if you really want though.

Quick release attachments visible dangling off the smaller camera.

-- hide signature --

I use the Peak Design Leash as well, and can recommend it. It fits ideally to a smaller camera (E-M1) and can be easily stuffed into a photo bag, when not needed. For me the time for big neck straps with large parts of foam are over.

-- hide signature --

Thomas

tgutgu's gear list:tgutgu's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Olympus E-PL7 Panasonic Leica DG Macro-Elmarit 45mm F2.8 ASPH OIS Panasonic 12-35mm F2.8 +26 more
El Chubasco
Regular MemberPosts: 319Gear list
Like?

Here you go, I love mine

Red Artisan Artist

El Chubasco's gear list:El Chubasco's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Sony RX100 II Fujifilm X-Pro1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12mm 1:2 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R +4 more
Elderly
Regular MemberPosts: 276
Like?
Re: Optech
In reply to slimandy, 8 months ago

Is that as simple as it looks? I dislike quick release straps that convert into wrist straps, there are too many components for my liking.

In your opinion would that 'binocular' strap be suitable for an EM-1?

Mike Dobbs
Senior MemberPosts: 1,071
Like?
+1 Re: I use Op/Tech straps
In reply to Elemental Photography, 8 months ago

I've been using the Compact Cam Sling on my EM-5 and now the EM-1. Very functional and plenty strong.

I also have the SLR Wrist Strap I've been using on the EM-1 for walk about street work...very comfortable and nicely liberating.

phazelag
Senior MemberPosts: 2,342Gear list
Like?
Does is slide around as nice as the Blackrapid or Optech?
In reply to tgutgu, 8 months ago

tgutgu wrote:

Klarno wrote:

Neck straps are universally ergonomically awful, and the ones that are the least awful ergonomically are also the least likely to actually fit in a camera bag. Slings are the solution to world peace. You can use it as a neck strap if you really want though.

-- hide signature --

I use the Peak Design Leash as well, and can recommend it. It fits ideally to a smaller camera (E-M1) and can be easily stuffed into a photo bag, when not needed. For me the time for big neck straps with large parts of foam are over.

-- hide signature --

Thomas

I like this for its small size in a camera bag, but is is awkward sliding the camera up?  I am just imagining it getting stuck on clothes or a jacket depending on the material.  Looks like the whole strap has to move around you, unlike the two in the title that stay in place but allow free movement.

I love my Blackrapid straps, but I am tired of taking the tripod lug off to change the battery or card.

phazelag's gear list:phazelag's gear list
Ricoh GR Panasonic Lumix DMC-LF1 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX100 III Sigma DP3 Merrill Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ1000
Klarno
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,543Gear list
Like?
Re: Does is slide around as nice as the Blackrapid or Optech?
In reply to phazelag, 8 months ago

phazelag wrote:

tgutgu wrote:

Klarno wrote:

-- hide signature --

-- hide signature --

Thomas

I like this for its small size in a camera bag, but is is awkward sliding the camera up? I am just imagining it getting stuck on clothes or a jacket depending on the material. Looks like the whole strap has to move around you, unlike the two in the title that stay in place but allow free movement.

I love my Blackrapid straps, but I am tired of taking the tripod lug off to change the battery or card.

The webbing this strap uses is very, very slick--like seat belt material. It doesn't really get caught on anything, I've found. And it's quick enough to disconnect from the strap as needed.

-- hide signature --
 Klarno's gear list:Klarno's gear list
A3000 Olympus PEN E-PM2 Olympus E-M1 Olympus Zuiko Digital 11-22mm 1:2.8-3.5 Olympus Zuiko Digital 14-54mm 1:2.8-3.5 II +4 more
tobyone
Regular MemberPosts: 242
Like?
In reply to El Chubasco, 8 months ago

Beer cuzzy on 45-200 Panny. Camo plus no zoom creep.

-- hide signature --

Toby Armstrong

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads