>>> Street Photography eXchange #85 <<<

Started 10 months ago | Discussions
xtoph
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,601Gear list
Like?
Re: Never too late
In reply to Still Young, 10 months ago

i really like the angles, sense of space, and colors of this shot.

it is possible that there is excess space on the left side. don't know that it matters enough to crop it.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Sal18
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,238Gear list
Like?
Re: Unlocking
In reply to xtoph, 10 months ago

Chris...I need your help here. I can't come up with a beneficial crop. Would you show us one?

Thanks.

Sal

xtoph
Like?
Re: Selection [market]
In reply to Still Young, 10 months ago

the onions make a good subject for some reason (in both this and the next photo).

i like the colors and the boxes and blocks of this one. i wish there were even more space at the top.

the next one seems to revolve around the onion's roots. i wonder if it should be more centered on them.

Sal18
Like?
Re: Hook(s)
In reply to jacwashere, 10 months ago

This is certainly a weird, odd, puzzling, curious picture. You caught a mystery, or 2 or 3.

Great image.

Sal

xtoph
Like?
Re: Unlocking
In reply to Sal18, 10 months ago

i am also not sure it is better, but i think cropping off the left side to eliminate the bright vertical area beyond the pattered part (i.e., about where the upright to the 'B' of the banister falls) would improve it. shaving some off the top for proportion wouldn't be a tragedy.

it is probably a situation where it needed to be framed over to the right in the original. it is usually the case that people need at least as much space, if not more, in the direction they're facing as behind them. there are exceptions, of course.

Sal18
Like?
In a word: Wow! -nt
In reply to solveproblems, 10 months ago

no text

Sal18
Like?
Re: Getting Up Close
In reply to Paulmorgan, 10 months ago

The last one has 'it'. For me, this is by far the best of the batch. It's got flavor.

Sal

TroiD
Regular MemberPosts: 401Gear list
Like?
untitled

TroiD's gear list:TroiD's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6L IS USM Canon EF 40mm f/2.8 STM
xtoph
Like?
i liked them in color better

as i mentioned previously, some of these which you posted before reminded me of other shots which were posted here of the henley regatta, and now i see that apparently that's because they were both shot by the same person? though i am not sure why you need two log-ins.

one of the things i thought was interesting about these shots as previously posted was the color. i don't see what you gain by converting to bw. (you lose some of the sense of sun-drenched outdoors, i think. and the color, of course, which tended to emphasize separation from the blue sky.)

particularly when posted all together like this, the perspective of shooting from waist-height is not, i think, doing you any favors. it ends up looking like you are trying, mostly unsuccessfully, to sneak shots of people, and it is unclear why you would need to. combined with repeatedly re-posting the same shots, it seems like you are finding it difficult to assert yourself and take photos in public in an open, relaxed way. of course i could have this completely wrong; but that is what it looks like, and the fact that it appears that way in your photos is why it is an issue. it makes the circumstances of the exposures more important than the content of them.

regardless, the way out is probably to take more photos, either more in exactly this same style such that the sustained, consistent approach becomes artistically significant itself, or moving past this style, so that practice can make you more comfortable in a different way of working.

looking forward to seeing some new work, either way.

TroiD
Regular MemberPosts: 401Gear list
Like?
In reply to jacwashere, 10 months ago

jacwashere wrote:

I like it (a lot). Just wondering... what does the title refer to?

David

TroiD's gear list:TroiD's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6L IS USM Canon EF 40mm f/2.8 STM
Still Young
Senior MemberPosts: 1,362
Like?
coffee

jeff hladun
Senior MemberPosts: 2,079
Like?
Fair Wages Protest, Toronto

M7, 28mm, 580Ex, TriX, Rodinal

fad
fad
Forum ProPosts: 12,410Gear list
Like?
The Critic (Weegee)

Paulmorgan wrote:

Looking at your gallery, you can be a competent photographer. But these shots leave me stone cold, for a number of reasons. If the eyes are invisible, psychological insight is hard to communicate, likewise social connection, and eye contact. The combination of sunglasses and shadows from hats depersonalize these people.

Shooting from the perspective of a flying rat also serves to depersonalize the photographer.

Nil desperandum. The depersonalization creates the ground for humor. That is what destroys these for me artistically. The affluent looking ridiculous is just as much a cliche as the homeless looking pitiful. Not that it can never make a good photo, as Weegee did several generations ago:

So what does this have that yours do not:

Understanding of human nature (almost a form a compassion). The right figure is a helpless drunk, the left figure has had so much plastic surgery that she has lost the ability to change her expression. this is both humorous and on another level, deeply touching. Even if you don't know this about the figures, it is communicated somehow through the photo and we feel it.

Artistic intelligence: He combines not just one, but two interesting things in the frame.

Hard work: He actually set this up and used and assistant, but made it look spontaneous. It's also possible to work at finding interesting shots that are not set up.

A good title: The Critic. It gives us just enough distance to be comfortable with a very uncomfortable picture. Also, it has ironic overtones about the Opera and social conditions.

A nostril shot, such as yours, is what newspapers publish of politicians they disagree with. It is a cheap and tedious joke.

Sal is very generous, but when she posts shots like this there is psychological insight and social intelligence at work. So, in addition to what Chris said about shooting at eye level, I would add that you should be your own critic and ask yourself if, once again, you are being lazy. What could you add to the shot to make it less boring to the rest of us.

I only say this, because I constantly have to ask myself the same question only to find that my mind, alas, is too empty to find it, and my skill to clumsy to capture it if I do.

-- hide signature --

Frank
shot in downtown Manhattan.
http://sidewalkshadows.com/blog/ (street photos)
Always view all photos in Gallery or Original Size

fad's gear list:fad's gear list
Canon EOS-1Ds Mark III Nikon D3S Nikon D800 Nikon D4s Nikon D810 +9 more
fad
fad
Forum ProPosts: 12,410Gear list
Like?
Re: Fair Wages Protest, Toronto
In reply to jeff hladun, 10 months ago

jeff hladun wrote:

M7, 28mm, 580Ex, TriX, Rodinal

Jeff, It may be that you took this shot for the geometry within the frame, and I have no idea about, or, officially, interest in your political feelings about this demonstration.

But it is a brilliant document, ironic, insightful, hilarious even.

My parents were Trotskyites during the Depression.   They met because my mom was the only female in the NYC cell who could afford the bus fare to go to Detroit to liaise with my dad.   Can you imagine a group of mostly Jews (I'm morally certain) in NYC not being able to afford bus fare?   Times were hard.   Their efforts to provoke mass revolution in the US did not, as it turned out, succeed.

Going back to the French revolution there have been artistic conventions for showing protests and demonstrations.   They never look up like this to privilege the context of the demonstration.   They like to show what seems (whether it is or not) a surging mass of angry people, even if they have to arrange the shot and have the emotion staged for the camera.

Well, I think I've explained enough to show why I find this shot brilliant and hilarious.   A demonstration is a public political performance, just as a coronation is.   You've followed the lead of HCB in showing the reaction of the crowd.

-- hide signature --

Frank

fad's gear list:fad's gear list
Canon EOS-1Ds Mark III Nikon D3S Nikon D800 Nikon D4s Nikon D810 +9 more
Zubu Barunda
Senior MemberPosts: 2,298Gear list
Like?
Chris, David and Frank
In reply to Zubu Barunda, 10 months ago

Thank you for your comments, which are much appreciated. I would be very reluctant to crop the bottom of the picture because this would destroy the natural flow of its complex composition. The crop would also change the meaning conveyed by this photo.

Zubu Barunda wrote:

Zubu Barunda
Senior MemberPosts: 2,298Gear list
Like?
Street portrait in colour

Paulmorgan
Senior MemberPosts: 2,190
Like?
Re: The Critic (Weegee)
In reply to fad, 10 months ago

fad wrote:

Paulmorgan wrote:

Looking at your gallery, you can be a competent photographer. But these shots leave me stone cold, for a number of reasons. If the eyes are invisible, psychological insight is hard to communicate, likewise social connection, and eye contact. The combination of sunglasses and shadows from hats depersonalize these people.

Shooting from the perspective of a flying rat also serves to depersonalize the photographer.

Nil desperandum. The depersonalization creates the ground for humor. That is what destroys these for me artistically. The affluent looking ridiculous is just as much a cliche as the homeless looking pitiful. Not that it can never make a good photo, as Weegee did several generations ago:

So what does this have that yours do not:

Understanding of human nature (almost a form a compassion). The right figure is a helpless drunk, the left figure has had so much plastic surgery that she has lost the ability to change her expression. this is both humorous and on another level, deeply touching. Even if you don't know this about the figures, it is communicated somehow through the photo and we feel it.

Artistic intelligence: He combines not just one, but two interesting things in the frame.

Hard work: He actually set this up and used and assistant, but made it look spontaneous. It's also possible to work at finding interesting shots that are not set up.

A good title: The Critic. It gives us just enough distance to be comfortable with a very uncomfortable picture. Also, it has ironic overtones about the Opera and social conditions.

A nostril shot, such as yours, is what newspapers publish of politicians they disagree with. It is a cheap and tedious joke.

Sal is very generous, but when she posts shots like this there is psychological insight and social intelligence at work. So, in addition to what Chris said about shooting at eye level, I would add that you should be your own critic and ask yourself if, once again, you are being lazy. What could you add to the shot to make it less boring to the rest of us.

I only say this, because I constantly have to ask myself the same question only to find that my mind, alas, is too empty to find it, and my skill to clumsy to capture it if I do.

-- hide signature --

Frank

Its simply life as it happens

At times there looking for social disconnection from an otherwise social event.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zatmdqTYivI

Paulmorgan
Senior MemberPosts: 2,190
Like?
Re: i liked them in color better

xtoph wrote:

as i mentioned previously, some of these which you posted before reminded me of other shots which were posted here of the henley regatta, and now i see that apparently that's because they were both shot by the same person? though i am not sure why you need two log-ins.

one of the things i thought was interesting about these shots as previously posted was the color. i don't see what you gain by converting to bw. (you lose some of the sense of sun-drenched outdoors, i think. and the color, of course, which tended to emphasize separation from the blue sky.)

particularly when posted all together like this, the perspective of shooting from waist-height is not, i think, doing you any favors. it ends up looking like you are trying, mostly unsuccessfully, to sneak shots of people, and it is unclear why you would need to. combined with repeatedly re-posting the same shots, it seems like you are finding it difficult to assert yourself and take photos in public in an open, relaxed way. of course i could have this completely wrong; but that is what it looks like, and the fact that it appears that way in your photos is why it is an issue. it makes the circumstances of the exposures more important than the content of them.

regardless, the way out is probably to take more photos, either more in exactly this same style such that the sustained, consistent approach becomes artistically significant itself, or moving past this style, so that practice can make you more comfortable in a different way of working.

looking forward to seeing some new work, either way.

Yes I shoot from the waist at times, though not to be sneaky, I either fancy the lower angle, as from a child's position of view, or I feel the need to engage with whom I`m shooting, more often than not its simply so I can engage without the camera getting in the way for face to face contact.

I`ve recently rebuilt my PC and have many more images, all I need to sort out now is finding a way to attach old IED hard drives so I can get at all the files.

On occasions I even shoot with the camera held aloft for a birds eye view, again there is nothing sneaky about it, I`ll smile and wave at the same time.

jacwashere
Contributing MemberPosts: 629
Like?
In reply to Sal18, 10 months ago

thank you, you're too kind

jacwashere
Contributing MemberPosts: 629
Like?
In reply to TroiD, 10 months ago

thank you, if you notice the thing between the subects heads (i hope this is the correct english

word for what that is), also look closely to the male subject left hand..

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads