Good third party battery for a D800?

Started 7 months ago | Discussions
net1994
Regular MemberPosts: 494
Like?
Good third party battery for a D800?
7 months ago

Anyone know of a viable alternative to the official Nikon EN-EL15 battery for my D800. I will be doing some night time photography and it gets pretty chilly, which drains any battery fast. A spare Nikon battery for the camera is $57. Anyone have any experience with a third party battery that lasts just as long as the official one from Nikon?

-- hide signature --

My Photography website = Happy time for your eyes:
http://www.paintbypixels.com

Nikon D800
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
bills_pix
Contributing MemberPosts: 541Gear list
Like?
Re: Good third party battery for a D800?
In reply to net1994, 7 months ago

I've had the Wasabi for almost a year now and find no difference in performance from 2 original Nikon batteries.  The only thing I have noticed is the Nikon life has gone to 2 out of 4 on my original batteries and has yet to move from zero on the Wasabi.  I'd certainly buy another one, especially given the 3 year warranty and Nikon's lack of any battery warranty.

-- hide signature --

'There is only one success - to be able to spend your life your own way.' -- Christopher Morley

bills_pix's gear list:bills_pix's gear list
Nikon D2X Nikon D700 Nikon D800 Nikon D800E Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED +8 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
antonoat
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,575
Like?

Just bought one of these.

looks like a quality item, performs very well too.

The high spec may be just what you are looking for.

http://www.hahnel.ie/index.cfm/action/batterysearch/pid/856

AllOtherNamesTaken
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,451
Like?

IMO it is not worth risking a 3rd party battery in a $3000 camera, when a OEM battery is only $50.  That's not to say a 3rd party battery wouldn't be OK, but for the few bucks you'd save, why take the chance and void your warranty as well?

stevo23
Senior MemberPosts: 3,613Gear list
Like?

net1994 wrote:

Anyone know of a viable alternative to the official Nikon EN-EL15 battery for my D800. I will be doing some night time photography and it gets pretty chilly, which drains any battery fast. A spare Nikon battery for the camera is $57. Anyone have any experience with a third party battery that lasts just as long as the official one from Nikon?

Yes, all generic batteries I've ever purchased were sub-par in performance.

antonoat
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,575
Like?
AllOtherNamesTaken...
In reply to AllOtherNamesTaken, 7 months ago

I agree with your philosophy, unfortunately my camera shop was right out of Nikon batteries

so I bought the new Hahnel, interestingly it was the same price as the Nikon!

Cheers

Tony

JamesGaston
New MemberPosts: 9Gear list
Like?
In reply to AllOtherNamesTaken, 7 months ago

AllOtherNamesTaken wrote:

IMO it is not worth risking a 3rd party battery in a $3000 camera, when a OEM battery is only $50. That's not to say a 3rd party battery wouldn't be OK, but for the few bucks you'd save, why take the chance and void your warranty as well?

I agree.

JamesGaston's gear list:JamesGaston's gear list
Nikon D300 Nikon D800E Nikon AF DX Fisheye-Nikkor 10.5mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 17-55mm f/2.8G ED-IF Nikon AF Nikkor 20mm f/2.8D +9 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads