Sony A7 Flash

Started 10 months ago | Discussions
juvx
Contributing MemberPosts: 738Gear list
Like?
Sony A7 Flash
10 months ago

Im sure this has been asked before but what flash do you guys use for the Sony A7 or A7r? I just bought a A7. I dont mind using a non sony brand in its standard hot shoe im just looking for the best option.

juvx's gear list:juvx's gear list
Sony RX100 II Nikon D750 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 85mm f/1.4G +2 more
Sony Alpha 7 Sony Alpha 7R
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
NicolasKL
New MemberPosts: 18
Like?
Re: Sony A7 Flash
In reply to juvx, 10 months ago

juvx wrote:

Im sure this has been asked before but what flash do you guys use for the Sony A7 or A7r? I just bought a A7. I dont mind using a non sony brand in its standard hot shoe im just looking for the best option.

I bought a Sony 20m mainly because I don't usually need a high powered high featured flash and the small size of the A7R is one of the main selling points for me so having a flash I can fit in my shirt pocket is a big benefit.  Just got it last night so I haven't used it extensively, but it seems capable for what it is, somewhere in between a built in flash and a "real" flash.

I may also pick up a F43M if I think I'll get some use out of it, but I'm mostly a landscape photographer, I just want a flash for casual candids, so I probably don't really need anything better than the 20m.  Though if I do pick up a higher end flash, I can use the 20m to trigger it if I want, which is a bonus.

Seems to me that using a standard hot shoe would be missing out on some benefits (though probably gaining in other areas), but someone else can probably chime in better than I on that.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
darkdirtydwarf
Contributing MemberPosts: 805Gear list
Like?

juvx wrote:

In my opinion the best option is the HVL60FM. I have it and I'm amazed. I was already happy with the older HVL58FM, but the 60 it's even better (and comes with a diffuser too...).

Of course "best" is relative. Do you need a smaller size? How powerful should the flash be?

darkdirtydwarf's gear list:darkdirtydwarf's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-5 Sony SLT-A55 Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony Alpha 7 Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake +7 more
SQLGuy
Senior MemberPosts: 3,044Gear list
Like?
In reply to darkdirtydwarf, 10 months ago

Depends on what you want to do.

For most things, I think the HVL-F20M, which I bought, is pretty good. It's small, surprisingly powerful, and meters very well, even with manual lenses, adapters, etc. Two things it doesn't do are turn sideways or high speed sync. If either of these features are must-haves, then you would have to look at the higher end models. I bought this one because it's small enough to keep in my bag all the time.

For a more powerful, more flexible, but less automatic flash, I have an old Canon 299T. That unit has an auto mode, so it can be used without TTL or pre-flash.

-- hide signature --

A7 with kit lens and a number of legacy lenses (mostly Canon FD)

SQLGuy's gear list:SQLGuy's gear list
Canon PowerShot G9 Nikon D200 A3000 Sony Alpha 7 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G +1 more
Brian_Smith
Senior MemberPosts: 1,728
Like?

juvx wrote:

The HVL-F43M is really nicely balanced and sized for the A7/A7R cameras.

zilver
Contributing MemberPosts: 532Gear list
Like?
Can you please show camera pic with the 20m flash?
In reply to NicolasKL, 10 months ago

Can't find the picture of the A7 with the 20m flash anywhere, would like to see if's it still small.

Thank you.

NicolasKL wrote:

juvx wrote:

I bought a Sony 20m mainly because I don't usually need a high powered high featured flash and the small size of the A7R is one of the main selling points for me so having a flash I can fit in my shirt pocket is a big benefit. Just got it last night so I haven't used it extensively, but it seems capable for what it is, somewhere in between a built in flash and a "real" flash.

I may also pick up a F43M if I think I'll get some use out of it, but I'm mostly a landscape photographer, I just want a flash for casual candids, so I probably don't really need anything better than the 20m. Though if I do pick up a higher end flash, I can use the 20m to trigger it if I want, which is a bonus.

Seems to me that using a standard hot shoe would be missing out on some benefits (though probably gaining in other areas), but someone else can probably chime in better than I on that.

zilver's gear list:zilver's gear list
Fujifilm X100T Olympus OM-D E-M10 Sony Alpha 7S Leica T
NicolasKL
New MemberPosts: 18
Like?
Re: Can you please show camera pic with the 20m flash?
In reply to zilver, 10 months ago

zilver wrote:

Can't find the picture of the A7 with the 20m flash anywhere, would like to see if's it still small.

Thank you.

NicolasKL wrote:

juvx wrote:

I bought a Sony 20m mainly because I don't usually need a high powered high featured flash and the small size of the A7R is one of the main selling points for me so having a flash I can fit in my shirt pocket is a big benefit. Just got it last night so I haven't used it extensively, but it seems capable for what it is, somewhere in between a built in flash and a "real" flash.

I may also pick up a F43M if I think I'll get some use out of it, but I'm mostly a landscape photographer, I just want a flash for casual candids, so I probably don't really need anything better than the 20m. Though if I do pick up a higher end flash, I can use the 20m to trigger it if I want, which is a bonus.

I can post a pic when I get home.  Depends on your definition of small.  It's a relatively small flash, but when mounted on the camera it still sticks up a fair amount even when it's in the down/off position.  It's not something you could leave mounted and shove in your pocket.  It is something you could leave mounted and put in a camera bag as long as the camera bag was accomodating, though I'd be a little worried that any pressure on the end of the flash would leverage quite a bit of force onto the flash mount, so I probably wouldn't ever do it.

juvx
Like?

darkdirtydwarf wrote:

juvx wrote:

In my opinion the best option is the HVL60FM. I have it and I'm amazed. I was already happy with the older HVL58FM, but the 60 it's even better (and comes with a diffuser too...).

Of course "best" is relative. Do you need a smaller size? How powerful should the flash be?

I was considering that but iv heard so many bad things about it overheating after a few shots....

Sony RX100 II Nikon D750 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 85mm f/1.4G +2 more
juvx
Like?
In reply to Brian_Smith, 10 months ago

Brian_Smith wrote:

juvx wrote:

The HVL-F43M is really nicely balanced and sized for the A7/A7R cameras.

Thank you Brian, after doing a bit more research thats probably what im going to go with.

CraigArnold
Contributing MemberPosts: 525Gear list
Like?
Another option...

I have the 20M on order for TTL fill-flash. (Very hard to get in the UK for some reason!)

For manual flash the Yongnuo wireless trigger and receivers work well, my current set:

• RF602 trigger and one receiver
  • 560 iii flashgun (has a built in wireless receiver but will also fire directly from camera)
  • MR 58 macro ring flash (fires on receiver or directly from hotshoe)

All 3 of the Yongnuo items listed above had a combined cost (£120) of less than the 20M (£130), but I do want a small TTL solution for on-camera fill - hence the 20M.

I expect the 20M to work with the wireless receiver from the RF602 (I have tested it on Canon and Yongnuo flashes) so with the current set up I'll be able to have on manual both the 20 and the 560 or the ringflash and the 560, but additional receivers are £8 so I could even have all 3 going at once.

Of course with the Sony 600 you get TTL, but it costs £460 and only one light source!!

-- hide signature --

Blog ------------------------ http://craigspics.net/?tag=blog
X100 Blog ----------------- http://craigspics.net/?cat=6
X100 Quickstart Guide -- http://craigspics.net/?page_id=1345

CraigArnold's gear list:CraigArnold's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Sony Alpha 7R Sony FE 35mm F2.8 Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Sony FE 24-70mm F4 OSS
Heaven is for real
Senior MemberPosts: 2,320Gear list
Like?
In reply to zilver, 10 months ago

zilver wrote:

Thank you.

NicolasKL wrote:

juvx wrote:

Found this on the web

Heaven is for real's gear list:Heaven is for real's gear list
Nikon D7000 Sony SLT-A77 Sony Alpha 7 Sony DT 16-50mm F2.8 SSM Sony FE 35mm F2.8 +2 more
scotbot
Senior MemberPosts: 1,152Gear list
Like?
Re: Another option...
In reply to CraigArnold, 10 months ago

CraigArnold wrote:

I have the 20M on order for TTL fill-flash. (Very hard to get in the UK for some reason!)

For manual flash the Yongnuo wireless trigger and receivers work well, my current set:

• RF602 trigger and one receiver
  • 560 iii flashgun (has a built in wireless receiver but will also fire directly from camera)
  • MR 58 macro ring flash (fires on receiver or directly from hotshoe)

All 3 of the Yongnuo items listed above had a combined cost (£120) of less than the 20M (£130), but I do want a small TTL solution for on-camera fill - hence the 20M.

I expect the 20M to work with the wireless receiver from the RF602 (I have tested it on Canon and Yongnuo flashes) so with the current set up I'll be able to have on manual both the 20 and the 560 or the ringflash and the 560, but additional receivers are £8 so I could even have all 3 going at once.

Of course with the Sony 600 you get TTL, but it costs £460 and only one light source!!

-- hide signature --

Blog ------------------------ http://craigspics.net/?tag=blog
X100 Blog ----------------- http://craigspics.net/?cat=6
X100 Quickstart Guide -- http://craigspics.net/?page_id=1345

Camera Centre in Newport have them in stock, mine arrived yesterday. They're Sony Pro dealers so a good source for hard to get kit.

-- hide signature --
darkdirtydwarf
Like?

juvx wrote:

darkdirtydwarf wrote:

juvx wrote:

I was considering that but iv heard so many bad things about it overheating after a few shots....

Don't listen to everything you hear

I did pretty intensive shootings and it NEVER overheated. It does overheat ONLY if you use it at full power repeatedly, which is never gonna happen in real life since you never need all that power for several shots in a row.

Read this post here from another dpreview user to have a better idea of what I'm talking about:

http://techandgadgets.tumblr.com/post/53109481756/does-sony-hvl-60m-overheat-part-ii

Sony Alpha NEX-5 Sony SLT-A55 Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony Alpha 7 Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake +7 more
SQLGuy
Like?

It probably will also overheat if you're always using it for HSS. But pretty much all flashes will overheat after too much HSS use.

-- hide signature --

Canon PowerShot G9 Nikon D200 A3000 Sony Alpha 7 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G +1 more
darkdirtydwarf
Like?
In reply to SQLGuy, 10 months ago

SQLGuy wrote:

It probably will also overheat if you're always using it for HSS. But pretty much all flashes will overheat after too much HSS use.

I really did put some stress on it after reading the bad comments regarding overheating before the time to give it back would run out and I never ever had a single problem.

I think the issue has been blown out of proportion, and as you say, in some conditions every flash would have limits. Frankly I'm really happy with it (as I am with the HVL58FM) and I warmly recommend it (I get perfect exposures with it and it never misses a shot - the 58 did, once in a while).

Chad Hardy
Senior MemberPosts: 1,183Gear list
Like?

The 43 fits well on the A7, especially if you have the vertical grip.  The 20 seems like the way to go for a first flash anyway, because to use the 43 wirelessly you need a flash on camera anyway (or a PW/cable).

Chad Hardy's gear list:Chad Hardy's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Sony Alpha 7R Fujifilm X-T1 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX100 III Fujifilm X-E2 +16 more
Ken Sky
Regular MemberPosts: 187Gear list
Like?
In reply to Chad Hardy, 10 months ago

Will the HLV-F20 with adapter for multinterface shoe on A7r work as well as the newer model?

Ken Sky's gear list:Ken Sky's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony Alpha DSLR-A900 Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony Alpha 7R Sony a6000 +5 more
SQLGuy
Like?
In reply to Ken Sky, 10 months ago

Ken Sky wrote:

Will the HLV-F20 with adapter for multinterface shoe on A7r work as well as the newer model?

Yes. Though I've heard of some problems with 3rd party adapters. Probably worth spending a few extra $$ for the Sony one.

-- hide signature --

blue_skies
Senior MemberPosts: 7,469Gear list
Like?

juvx wrote:

At the risk of repeating others, I recommend getting both the HVL-F20M and HVL-F43M flash units. (Do get the M versions, not the older AM versions, for you'll need adapter sockets).

The 20M is very compact and can be used as a travel flash, as well as a wireless trigger for the 43M. They allow for HSS and TTL shooting.

If you want to go with non-TTL third party flash units, I recommend getting the Cowboy Studio adapter with external flash units. E.g. units like the TT560 or the YN560-II are very similar to the 43M, but are much cheaper, and can be set up in manual mode to behave more or less identical. The 43M works with the Cowboy Studio adapter too, but the 20M does not, as it lacks a manual mode.

If you use flashes in non-TTL mode, you have to dial in the settings, based on the scene. Even though some of these newer flashes have LCD screens, I find it easier to just install an app on your smartphone and derive the settings from there.

And do get the Gary Fong diffuser too. It is easy to use and it works, for when you have no ceiling to bounce of.

-- hide signature --

Cheers,
Henry

blue_skies's gear list:blue_skies's gear list
Canon PowerShot S95 Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony Alpha 7 Sony a6000 +34 more
zilver
Contributing MemberPosts: 532Gear list
Like?
In reply to Heaven is for real, 10 months ago

Thank you.

This looks pretty big for travel.

Heaven is for real wrote:

Found this on the web

zilver's gear list:zilver's gear list
Fujifilm X100T Olympus OM-D E-M10 Sony Alpha 7S Leica T
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads