C&C - Getting started with X-E2, Raw and Capture One

Started 6 months ago | Photos
notgoodwithpowertools
New MemberPosts: 16Gear list
Like?
C&C - Getting started with X-E2, Raw and Capture One
6 months ago

Hello,

I've finally made a start with raw files and am testing Capture One with the trial period. I'm not really sure how to get the most out of raw so wondering if anyone has any pointers, particularly when compared to the OOC jpg from the X-E2.

This shot is of a Tawny Frogmouth and her chick in the backyard tree. I captured jpg and raw formats using the 55-200. The jpg looks OK to me and could do with some better framing/cropping as the shot was taken at some distance contending with branches, foliage and wind.

X-E2 with 55-200 - f4.5, 1/640, ISO 1600

There are probably some highlights that have blown out so have tried bumping up the HIGH DYNAMIC RANGE setting as well as some contrast and clarity. The C1 settings are in this grab

This is the resulting image with crop

For some reason the images don't look so sharp when viewed in the post/upload but I am happy with the sharpness around the eyes when viewed natively on the system.

Anyway, my query is how would you go about getting more out of such a shot using the raw file and information. Any suggestions for what you might have applied to such a shot? I'm new to this photo editing and Capture One in particular so any suggestions would be most appreciated. Thanks.

A

notgoodwithpowertools's gear list:notgoodwithpowertools's gear list
Sony SLT-A77 Fujifilm X-E2 Sony 70-300mm F4.5-5.6 G SSM Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS +1 more
Comment & critique:
Please provide me constructive critique and criticism.
Fujifilm X-E2 Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
tasmith88
Junior MemberPosts: 36Gear list
Like?
Re: C&C - Getting started with X-E2, Raw and Capture One
In reply to notgoodwithpowertools, 6 months ago

Related to sharpness, try using the trial version of Iridient to process your raw file and compare with your Capture One file.  In my short comparisons of both, I found Iridient really pulls out a lot of detail in the X-Trans files.

tasmith88's gear list:tasmith88's gear list
Fujifilm X-E2 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Rudi
Contributing MemberPosts: 599
Like?

Oooops ! - The pictures look more like paintings than like photographs.

Was there too much NR followed by hard sharpening ? What happend ? What does the RAW File look like ?

bensherman
Regular MemberPosts: 284Gear list
Like?

try avoid using high dynamic range slider as much as possible...especially highlight controller!! it literally kills contrast and mash up colors. The effect is universal across all RAW files from different brands.  Use local adjustment brush when needed instead.

vkphoto
Senior MemberPosts: 1,587
Like?

Re: XF 55-200

You can pull a bit more details by turning C1 lens correction option off.

-- hide signature --
notgoodwithpowertools
Like?
In reply to Rudi, 6 months ago

Rudi wrote:

Oooops ! - The pictures look more like paintings than like photographs.

Was there too much NR followed by hard sharpening ? What happend ? What does the RAW File look like ?

Thanks for looking... If you mean what does the standard import of the raw file look like here it is with no adjustments.

Sony SLT-A77 Fujifilm X-E2 Sony 70-300mm F4.5-5.6 G SSM Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS +1 more
notgoodwithpowertools
Like?
In reply to vkphoto, 6 months ago

vkphoto wrote:

Re: XF 55-200

You can pull a bit more details by turning C1 lens correction option off.

-- hide signature --

When I check for lens correction settings there does not seem to be anything applied? In fact the only profile available under Fujifilm is for the X100 (C1 version 7.2) and nothing for X-E2.

Is this the lens correction setting you are referring to? Thanks.

A

Rudi
Contributing MemberPosts: 599
Like?

OK - think C1 applies some default parameters at the moment You load the RAW file.

You may try PhotoNinja, I got better results from my pictures with this converter. Use all sliders carefully, while watching the details in the feathers at a 100% view of the image on Your screen.

wyldberi
Senior MemberPosts: 2,262Gear list
Like?

In the first shot shown above, the large branch in the foreground, even being blurred, is too much of a distraction; it is too prominent in the image.

But moving to the left, and possibly forward a bit, you could have "cropped" much of that branch out of your frame. It might have also given you a bit better perspective on bird #2. By repositioning yourself a bit you would have left much more of the scene before you to work with in PP.

Of course, whenever you work with wildlife you run the risk that your movement might spook the critters you're trying to capture and lose your shot altogether.

Charles2
Senior MemberPosts: 2,067
Like?
Put the raw file up with a link? (n/t)

n/t

notgoodwithpowertools
Like?
Re: Put the raw file up with a link? (n/t)
In reply to Charles2, 6 months ago

Charles2 wrote:

n/t

Thank you for taking a look. Please let me know if any issues with the link.

Raw file available here.

A

vkphoto
Senior MemberPosts: 1,587
Like?

notgoodwithpowertools wrote:

Charles2 wrote:

n/t

Thank you for taking a look. Please let me know if any issues with the link.

Raw file available here.

A

hope you don't mind, my version. PP in C1

vk

-- hide signature --
notgoodwithpowertools
Like?
In reply to vkphoto, 6 months ago

Wow VK!!

Thanks so much for taking the time. This is exactly what I was hoping to see in what can be achieved with raw manipulation. Can I trouble you to provide the settings you changed to achieve this as I'd really like to build my understanding of the approach used.

Thanks again!!

A

Charles2
Senior MemberPosts: 2,067
Like?

Ok, a quick treatment is at
http://www58.zippyshare.com/v/2295523/file.html

Notes, not necessarily in order of application:
exposure way down to avoid most clipping
Film Extra Shadow
adjust temp and tint
slight boost to contrast and saturation
raise shadows of RGB curve
sharpen at radius 0.3

I stay away from Clarity and Punch. These are mystery adjustments. Exposure, contrast, and saturation are standard concepts performed by standard alterations of curves in a color space.

I am, like the OP, a Capture One novice on a 60-day trial. It is best not to work with the RGB curve, but I did not find HSV, HSL, nor LAB curves. HSV and HSL are available in Picture Window Pro; LAB in Raw Therapee.

I tried to keep green out of the sky. Therefore, the shadows including the birds have too much magenta. They need more green. The white balance of highlights and shadows often need to be different.

georgehudetz
Regular MemberPosts: 424Gear list
Like?
In reply to Charles2, 6 months ago

Here is another interpretation.  Crop from center.

Linear Response curve, ProNegSTD ICC profile, bumped the exposure a bit (I was focusing entirely on the birds; a better approach is to bump shadows a bit since the highlights are already blown), small bumps in clarity & structure (I find the usefulness of these depend entirely on the image; sometimes I can get aggressive with them but not here), modest increases in amount and radius in the sharpening.

Personally, I think you added a bit too much green to the shadows, but it's just my opinion.

georgehudetz's gear list:georgehudetz's gear list
Fujifilm X-Pro1 Fujifilm XF 18mm F2 R Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS +1 more
georgehudetz
Regular MemberPosts: 424Gear list
Like?
In reply to georgehudetz, 6 months ago

OK, after looking at VK's version, I was embarrassed that I ignored the sky.  So, I pushed the highlight slider to 100, and used the color editor and picked a point in the center of the sky, and adjusted rotation quite a bit to change the hue. Small tweaks to saturation and I had what looks like to me a blue sky with a slight amount of haze.  Certainly pushing my skill limit here, but it's interesting to experiment.

Tighter crop to draw attention to the birds.

georgehudetz's gear list:georgehudetz's gear list
Fujifilm X-Pro1 Fujifilm XF 18mm F2 R Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS +1 more
Carsten Pauer 2
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,054
Like?

I'm not really sure how to get the most out of raw so wondering if anyone has any pointers, particularly when compared to the OOC jpg from the X-E2.

Anyway, my query is how would you go about getting more out of such a shot using the raw file and information.

I would use DCRAW or/And RPP for the RAW File.

deednets
Senior MemberPosts: 1,948Gear list
Like?
Why don't you show him what you can do with RPP?
In reply to Carsten Pauer 2, 6 months ago

Carsten Pauer 2 wrote:

I'm not really sure how to get the most out of raw so wondering if anyone has any pointers, particularly when compared to the OOC jpg from the X-E2.

Anyway, my query is how would you go about getting more out of such a shot using the raw file and information.

I would use DCRAW or/And RPP for the RAW File.

Here is an excerpt, quite easy to follow for a novice http://www.raw-photo-processor.com/RPP/Overview.html :

You may use RPP for these carefully chosen operations:

1. •4-channel white balance - this is probably the most important operation in Raw processing and it has to be applied at very early stages. RPP supports various ways of working with white balance - automatic detection, “as shot” (taken from camera), custom white balance from neutral areas and color tone adjustments on “cold - warm” scale.
  2. •Linear and compressed exposure compensations - another very sensitive step, should use high precision math to preserve shadows and highlights and it is almost impossible to make it properly during post-processing in Photoshop. Compressed compensation allows to preserve highlights in more film-like style instead of clipping used in traditional linear exposure compensation.

He uses Capture One on a trial basis! Maybe helpful to read the OP title, before you come up with this "I would only read the bible in hebrew" ...

He says: (again in the title) Getting started ...

I have downloaded his file and will give it a try too, but not tonight too late, but there are already a fewacceptable conversions. How about this: Why don't you do a conversion and post it here? I work in IT so would be genuinely interested - as I am sure would be others.

What do you say??

Deed

deednets's gear list:deednets's gear list
Fujifilm X-E2 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 60mm F2.4 R Macro Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 23mm F1.4 R +2 more
Carsten Pauer 2
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,054
Like?
Re: Why don't you show him what you can do with RPP?
In reply to deednets, 6 months ago
What do you say??

You are already on my Ignore List.

notgoodwithpowertools
Like?
In reply to georgehudetz, 6 months ago

George,

This is great!! I really appreciate that you have explained your thinking and the mods you've applied.

Thanks to everyone for their thoughts and comments so far.

A

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads