It's easy to forget that a6000 also has...

Started 6 months ago | Discussions
Mel Snyder
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,538Gear list
Like?
Re: It's easy to forget that a6000 also has...
In reply to Donny out of Element here, 6 months ago

Donny out of Element here wrote:

improved gap-less on sensor microlens design!

improved color filter layer - up to 20% more light gathering!

tilting built-in flash that can be used as a wireless trigger/controller for external flashes!

magnesium alloy body - that is a bit lighter than NEX-6!

flash top plate!

clean HDMI output and zebra for video shooters and also more controls in video!

full camera control over USB for PC studio work!

7 customizable buttons and MR mode on top dial!

better high ISO performance than latest D5300 24Mp APS-C sensor!

11fps with tracking AF in RAW+JPEG with 49 frames (for JPEG) before buffer gets full!

Now I'm just thinking 11fps is 269Mb per second (more than a quarter of Gigabyte per second!) what kind of a card we need for that beast?

I want to see what a hit on usability the lower re EVF makes. I may sell my NEX-6 to get this. I like the magnesium body. Should be more durable in traveling.

Mel Snyder's gear list:Mel Snyder's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony Alpha 7 Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake Tokina AT-X Pro 11-16mm f/2.8 DX Leica Summicron-M 50mm f/2 +13 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Dennis
Forum ProPosts: 13,315
Like?
Re: That's a lot of exclamation points (!)
In reply to EinsteinsGhost, 6 months ago

I just look at the 16-70 and 70-200. The latter, I understand, is a FE lens and designed more with the A7/r in mind than the APS-C gear. Nonetheless, I wonder if they won't build a flagship body with those lenses in mind; something maybe a bit bigger with an optional vertical grip, keeping in mind that the competition's flagship cameras are also mid-EVF models (EM1 and XT1). Then I throw in the A3000 (doesn't mean much, but shows a precedent for a new body style with E mount) and the SAR rumors saying the A6000 would replace the NEX-6 & 7 both and the fact that the A5000 replaces both the NEX-3 and NEX-5 lines and I could just easily imagine Sony deciding on 4 products like this:
A3000 = entry level, dirt cheap, DSLR shape to attract buyers w/cheap EVF
A5000 = ultra compact
A6000 = RF style
A8000 = flagship, could be DSLR style for above reasons

Not even guessing that this will be the case; just wondering.

quezra
Senior MemberPosts: 2,183Gear list
Like?
In reply to parallaxproblem, 6 months ago

parallaxproblem wrote:

quezra wrote:

parallaxproblem wrote:

nandbytes wrote:

parallaxproblem wrote:

tilting built-in flash that can be used as a wireless trigger/controller for external flashes!

flash top plate!

11fps with tracking AF in RAW+JPEG with 49 frames (for JPEG) before buffer gets full!

Now I'm just thinking 11fps is 269Mb per second (more than a quarter of Gigabyte per second!) what kind of a card we need for that beast?

From what I read in other previews the construction is the same as the NEX-6, ie. magnesium top plate with the rest of the camera being plastic

Haven't read about the flash tilting, nor the gapless microlenses on the sensor

Where did you read about 7 customisable buttons? I read that it had two soft buttons (now in different locations) and that the d-button can be customised, ie. same as for current cameras, but I would like some clarifcation of this

-- hide signature --

DUMP the HUMP! A5000 & A6000 success.... campaign for *REAL* NEX-5 and NEX-7 replacement bodies
* newly updated ignore list: hostile responses are probably not visible to me

The sony guy from youtube video did say 7 customisable buttons.

Does that mean 2 soft buttons, 4 directions on the D-button and centre button on the D-button? Or does it mean some of the other buttons except soft and D-button can be customised?

It would be nice if there was some clarity on this

-- hide signature --

DUMP the HUMP! A5000 & A6000 success.... campaign for *REAL* NEX-5 and NEX-7 replacement bodies

Did you not read the DPR first look?

Normally I have you on ignore, but I thought for once I might check if you had anything helpful to say

As expected your reply offered the usual amount of helpfulness... ie. none whatsoever and throw in the usual implicit insults at the same time

I did read the DPR first look, and even commented underneath that I found the preview confusing and said:

There is one more button on the back of the body and the position and function of the buttons seems to have changed in comparison with the NEX-6, why is this not mentioned and explained?

Perhaps you would care to enlighten me as to where the (rather inconsistent if you bother reading it carefully) DPReview preview makes the situation over button customisation clear?

-- hide signature --

Wow, defensive much?  You could have clicked on the earlier post I made which actually did state exactly which buttons are customizable, taken directly from the DPR first look page.

So let me repeat: it's a shame you didn't read the DPR first look that mentions which 7 buttons are customizable.  Having mentioned it in an earlier post (evidently not the one you un-ignored) in this very thread, I didn't mention it a second time when I saw you posting immediately after I had just said which buttons they were, hence why it's quite funny how you're flailing around asking questions that are already answered by the DPR article you've commented on (and therefore should have read).

And you trying to read "implicit insults" into a one-line question is the icing on this particular cake.

quezra's gear list:quezra's gear list
Sony Alpha 7 Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Sony FE 28-70mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony Alpha NEX-5N Voigtlander 35mm F1.4 Nokton +7 more
Mel Snyder
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,538Gear list
Like?
Re: But it's not easy to forget that ...
In reply to buellom, 6 months ago

buellom wrote:

... I still don't get the lenses I want for such an impressive (at least on paper) camera.

-- hide signature --

www.freude-am-licht.de

Endless great manual lenses to capitalize on a great new sensor, though. With an EVF, even a perhaps less than perfect one, manual focusing should be a snap.

Mel Snyder's gear list:Mel Snyder's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony Alpha 7 Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake Tokina AT-X Pro 11-16mm f/2.8 DX Leica Summicron-M 50mm f/2 +13 more
Dennis
Forum ProPosts: 13,315
Like?
Re: That's a lot of exclamation points (!)
In reply to captura, 6 months ago

captura wrote:

Stirring the muck?

Muck needs to be stirred regularly I know the "hump" is a sensitive topic, but for reasons I spelled out in my reply to EG, I think a flagship that sits above the A6000 could be a very different camera (no prediction, just speculation).

Also please remember, there are DSLR's and there are DSLR's. 95% of them will not reach this level of performance.

Sure, and even a DSLR that has great AF with one lens can be sluggish with another. There are just a lot of claims of "fastest AF" lately that need some testing & user experiences to put into perspective. (Conversely, I bet a lot of people who haven't tried NEX or other mirrorless probably have an unfavorable impression of its AF).

zackiedawg
Forum ProPosts: 21,380Gear list
Like?
Funny, the least-advertised feature is the one I'm in love with most...

That little footnote about how the fastest AF test was achieved, where it mentions that "pre-AF was off'...

There it is...something I've prayed for since the very first NEX...I'd almost consider buying the A600 JUST for that feature!  I have hated pre-focus since moment one, still hate it to this day...if the A6000 finally lets this be turned off, I want it for that alone.

I must say, the AF looks good for tracking at least early on...and I love the MR setting on the mode dial, plus the elimination of the NEX menus...all excellent selling points for me.

And MFNR seems to be built in?  It mentions the ISO range as 100-25600, but 51,200 with MFNR on...unless they're just letting you know of the expanded range when you download the app.

I still prefer the thinner, smaller NEX-5N body myself, but since I always shoot with the EVF on mine, I'm wondering if I could live with the larger bodystyle and built in EVF just to get at some of the improvements that to me are really really tempting.

Especially MR, return of the 4-way jog dial's custom settings, and pre-AF off!

-- hide signature --

Justin
galleries: www.pbase.com/zackiedawg

zackiedawg's gear list:zackiedawg's gear list
Sony Alpha DSLR-A580 Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony a6000 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake +24 more
buellom
Regular MemberPosts: 463Gear list
Like?
In reply to Mel Snyder, 6 months ago

Mel Snyder wrote:

buellom wrote:

... I still don't get the lenses I want for such an impressive (at least on paper) camera.

-- hide signature --

www.freude-am-licht.de

Endless great manual lenses to capitalize on a great new sensor, though. With an EVF, even a perhaps less than perfect one, manual focusing should be a snap.

Sure, if this is what you want. I'm not a fan of putting another piece of gear with production tolerances between the glass and the sensor. See e.g. http://www.lensrentals.com/blog/2013/09/there-is-no-free-lunch-episode-763-lens-adapters.

-- hide signature --

www.freude-am-licht.de

wictred
Contributing MemberPosts: 912Gear list
Like?
In reply to Mel Snyder, 6 months ago

Mel Snyder wrote:

I want to see what a hit on usability the lower re EVF makes. I may sell my NEX-6 to get this. I like the magnesium body. Should be more durable in traveling.

Did you ever break a polycarbonate body?

According to some previews the a6000 body is the same by the way (metal plate + rest polycarbonate)

But it looks like a great camera. Might either sell my NEX-6 as well or just keep it ... I'd probably get 300-350 euros - for a perfectly fine camera which would make an ideal backup body.

The 2.36 MP EVF of the NEX-6 sure is really great, but try manual focus in low light. It certainly works (especially when it is way too dark for an OVF) - I use it rather often, with the only source of light being a few small LEDs or fire. But if 1.44 MP would still show more details anyway (better refresh and/or lower noise) then that would actually be an improvement...

wictred's gear list:wictred's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony a6000 Sigma 19mm F2.8 EX DN Sony E 35mm F1.8 OSS Sigma 60mm F2.8 DN +3 more
D Cox
Senior MemberPosts: 7,210
Like?
In reply to buellom, 6 months ago

buellom wrote:

Sure, if this is what you want. I'm not a fan of putting another piece of gear with production tolerances between the glass and the sensor. See e.g. http://www.lensrentals.com/blog/2013/09/there-is-no-free-lunch-episode-763-lens-adapters.

That isn't an example: it is the _only_ critical test of adapters.

And the result is that a slightly crooked adapter can be a problem for extreme wide angle lenses, where depth of focus is at its smallest.

I see nothing to suggest it is a problem with medium or long lenses. And some people deliberately use tilt adapters.

PeteC21
Contributing MemberPosts: 519Gear list
Like?
Re: Funny, the least-advertised feature is the one I'm in love with most...
In reply to zackiedawg, 6 months ago

+1 Justin

-- hide signature --

“The single most important component of a camera is the twelve inches behind it!” Ansel Adams

PeteC21's gear list:PeteC21's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony SLT-A77 Sony a6000 Sony 70-400mm F4-5.6 G SSM Tokina AT-X Pro 11-16mm f/2.8 DX +11 more
nevercat
Senior MemberPosts: 2,136
Like?
Re: AFIK the 2.4 Mpx VF in N6 was also OLED, the same...
In reply to jpr2, 6 months ago

jpr2 wrote:

parallaxproblem wrote:

Fredy Ross wrote:

inferior LCD and Viewfinder is a big minus

-- hide signature --

fredyr

EVF might not be inferior as Imaging Resource claim better experience

http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/sony-a6000/sony-a6000A.HTM

comparing the two side-by-side (NEX-6 vs A6000), the A6000's EVF is the clear winner as it produces much more accurate colors and easy to discern details

The poor DPReview preview of this camera (not sure if they actually looked through the EVF) is just confusing the matter

...as in the N7-classic, so HOW the tidbits that it was not materialized here??

Maybe, yes just maybe it has to do with the price at launch? The Nex 6 was more expensive at launch then the A6000 is. As it looks now the A6000 is better on all the parts you can look at, but the EVF.
Don't forget what you get more for your money when you compare the A6000 with the Nex 6.
Like: better sensor, better menu, MR setting, better AF, better processor, better battery life, better cideo out (cleen HDMI) etc. All these features costs some money and still the A6000 is less expensive at launch...

jpr2

Gato Amarillo
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,455
Like?
In reply to EthanP99, 6 months ago

EthanP99 wrote:

49 frames! thats RIDICULOUS for a non pro camera.

For some users this may be a pro camera. Panasonic and Canon are certainly selling lots of cameras to video pros.

Gato

-- hide signature --

"We paint with our brain, not with our hands" -- Michelangelo
Portrait, figure and fantasy photography at Silver Mirage Gallery:
silvermirage.com

spacemn
Contributing MemberPosts: 861
Like?
In reply to parallaxproblem, 6 months ago

parallaxproblem wrote:

flash top plate!

From what I read in other previews the construction is the same as the NEX-6, ie. magnesium top plate with the rest of the camera being plastic

Haven't read about the flash tilting, nor the gapless microlenses on the sensor

Where did you read about 7 customisable buttons? I read that it had two soft buttons (now in different locations) and that the d-button can be customised, ie. same as for current cameras, but I would like some clarifcation of this

-- hide signature --

The NEX-6 body is all plastic, incl. the top plate. The A6000 definitely has the mag alloy top plate, and in the Sony video he mentioned the materials was like the NEX-7, that mean top plate and lower body  plate in metal...

Donny out of Element here
Contributing MemberPosts: 693Gear list
Like?
Re: Funny, the least-advertised feature is the one I'm in love with most...
In reply to zackiedawg, 6 months ago

It's probably not that important for RAW shooters, but for jpeg shooters, it also has an option to switch NR off.

captura
Forum ProPosts: 13,380Gear list
Like?
In reply to wictred, 6 months ago

wictred wrote:

Mel Snyder wrote:

Did you ever break a polycarbonate body?

According to some previews the a6000 body is the same by the way (metal plate + rest polycarbonate)

But it looks like a great camera. Might either sell my NEX-6 as well or just keep it ... I'd probably get 300-350 euros - for a perfectly fine camera which would make an ideal backup body.

The 2.36 MP EVF of the NEX-6 sure is really great, but try manual focus in low light. It certainly works (especially when it is way too dark for an OVF) - I use it rather often, with the only source of light being a few small LEDs or fire. But if 1.44 MP would still show more details anyway (better refresh and/or lower noise) then that would actually be an improvement...

Well, it's OLED, an improvement. But why so small?

Now Polycarbonate is very strong, but traditionally a bit heavier. What I find worrisome is the introduction of thin cheaper plastic construction like on the A5000.

captura's gear list:captura's gear list
Fujifilm X10 Sony Alpha NEX-7 NEX5R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R Sony E 55-210mm F4.5-6.3 OSS +9 more
bhill643
Regular MemberPosts: 231
Like?
next version 36 fps
In reply to EthanP99, 6 months ago

But maybe 2 will be in focus

paul1508
Regular MemberPosts: 365
Like?
In reply to sbauschl, 6 months ago

sbauschl wrote:

And with the new menu system, bracketing and remote should be able to be used together!

I hate you, now I might have to get it... Anyone looking for a slightly used NEX 6?

paul1508
Regular MemberPosts: 365
Like?
Re: AFIK the 2.4 Mpx VF in N6 was also OLED, the same...
In reply to jpr2, 6 months ago

jpr2 wrote:

parallaxproblem wrote:

Fredy Ross wrote:

inferior LCD and Viewfinder is a big minus

-- hide signature --

fredyr

EVF might not be inferior as Imaging Resource claim better experience

http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/sony-a6000/sony-a6000A.HTM

comparing the two side-by-side (NEX-6 vs A6000), the A6000's EVF is the clear winner as it produces much more accurate colors and easy to discern details

The poor DPReview preview of this camera (not sure if they actually looked through the EVF) is just confusing the matter

...as in the N7-classic, so HOW the tidbits that it was not materialized here??

jpr2

AFAIK the "OLED" vievfinder used in NEX 7 and 6 was an LCD with (white) OLED backlight behind it. Therefore it was still light through (slow moving) liquid crystals. I don't know about the EVF used in the A7/R and the new one... If they are 'real' OLED displays with RGB OLED pixels and without slowish LCD.

Ttriple
Forum MemberPosts: 55Gear list
Like?
dont forget that the screen also has WhiteMagic technology

according to the specs on B&H site:

"Additionally, WhiteMagic technology works to increase the overall brightness of the screen to better support use in bright or sunlit conditions"

Ttriple's gear list:Ttriple's gear list
Sigma DP1s Sony RX100 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS Sony E 35mm F1.8 OSS
Steve West
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,262
Like?
Does it have an electronic first curtain shutter? (nt)
-- hide signature --
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads