G1X Mk2 - First sample images ... (PICS)

Started 9 months ago | Discussions
Tapper123
Senior MemberPosts: 1,172Gear list
Like?
How big are your trouser pockets?
In reply to Oswald61, 9 months ago

Oswald61 wrote:

Great shots!

Will it fit into my tight trouser pocket though? If not. that's a deal breaker for me.

Have a look:

http://j.mp/Me0dgy

 Tapper123's gear list:Tapper123's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX100 III Sony Alpha NEX-F3 +2 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
particleman78
Regular MemberPosts: 118Gear list
Like?
Re: Tonkotsu Ramen: Re: Am I getting one?
In reply to Carlos C, 9 months ago

I own a Fuji as well, but I think there is room in a bag for both a Fuji and a G1X Mark II. A lens of this aperture and and focal range would be massive on an x-mount camera. My plan is to keep the Fuji in the bag with a prime like the 23mm 1.4 but also have a G1X Mark II when you need zoom and convenience. No need to swap lenses and the G1X Mark II doesn't even have an annoying lens cap to fiddle around with like the Mark I. The lens on the G1X Mark II is so versatile, it goes wide, it is fast, it has decent reach and it even does macro 5cm close. You would need to carry a bag full of lenses to cover the range of shooting scenarios the G1X mark II covers.

Carlos C wrote:

afm wrote:

I was also influenced by Marco Nero's input to get the G1X and I am extremely happy with it. For me the only downside is its slow operation. The Mark 2 seems to have its pluses and minuses as Marco said, but with faster operation and better lens it may suit me fine. I need a travel camera with best IQ but must say I am seriously looking at the Fujifilm X-E2 as my G1X replacement.

I really liked my G1X and made the jump after seeing Marco's beautiful pictures. I used it for over a year with really good results. Then, I had the opportunity to get the opportunity to get the Fuji X-E1 with kit lens as a retirement present, wow, what a camera after the latest firmware update. Have nothing but good things to say about the Canon G1X, but prefer the Fuji. I think Canon has very stiff competition with the Fuji products. Their lenses (just got their 23mm 1.4) is at least L quality. Amazing optics, as close to Leica as you can get.

looking forward to see the tech reviews of the new G1X mark II

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Oswald61
Regular MemberPosts: 303
Like?
Re: How big are your trouser pockets?
In reply to Tapper123, 9 months ago

Tapper123 wrote:

Oswald61 wrote:

Great shots!

Will it fit into my tight trouser pocket though? If not. that's a deal breaker for me.

Have a look:

http://j.mp/Me0dgy

Actually, I was just joking.

When the first G1x came out, the trouser/shirt pocket comment was one of the main complaints about the camera.

It fits into a jacket pocket, and that's fine for me. I live in Vancouver BC, not the tropics.

For the most part I always carry the camera in a very small lowpro bag I found for 2 bucks in the local Dollarama.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Carlos C
Regular MemberPosts: 357Gear list
Like?
Re: Tonkotsu Ramen: Re: Am I getting one?
In reply to particleman78, 9 months ago

particleman78 wrote:

I own a Fuji as well, but I think there is room in a bag for both a Fuji and a G1X Mark II. A lens of this aperture and and focal range would be massive on an x-mount camera. My plan is to keep the Fuji in the bag with a prime like the 23mm 1.4 but also have a G1X Mark II when you need zoom and convenience. No need to swap lenses and the G1X Mark II doesn't even have an annoying lens cap to fiddle around with like the Mark I. The lens on the G1X Mark II is so versatile, it goes wide, it is fast, it has decent reach and it even does macro 5cm close. You would need to carry a bag full of lenses to cover the range of shooting scenarios the G1X mark II covers.

Carlos C wrote:

afm wrote:

I was also influenced by Marco Nero's input to get the G1X and I am extremely happy with it. For me the only downside is its slow operation. The Mark 2 seems to have its pluses and minuses as Marco said, but with faster operation and better lens it may suit me fine. I need a travel camera with best IQ but must say I am seriously looking at the Fujifilm X-E2 as my G1X replacement.

I really liked my G1X and made the jump after seeing Marco's beautiful pictures. I used it for over a year with really good results. Then, I had the opportunity to get the opportunity to get the Fuji X-E1 with kit lens as a retirement present, wow, what a camera after the latest firmware update. Have nothing but good things to say about the Canon G1X, but prefer the Fuji. I think Canon has very stiff competition with the Fuji products. Their lenses (just got their 23mm 1.4) is at least L quality. Amazing optics, as close to Leica as you can get.

looking forward to see the tech reviews of the new G1X mark II

ParticleMan,

I understand your point. I do miss the smaller form factor of the G1X, had it with me at all times. I also agree the IQ of the G1X is quite good, so is the lens and its range. Could not keep both as I have several dslr's already. I decided to go the Fuji route as since I am now retired I can carry a bigger small factor camera a lot easier than when I had to fit it into my briefcase. It is all about what you are willing and able to carry. Both are very nice cameras.

 Carlos C's gear list:Carlos C's gear list
Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm XF 23mm F1.4 R
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
edu T
Senior MemberPosts: 1,102Gear list
Like?
G1X's sequel
In reply to Mk7, 9 months ago

Mk7 wrote:

Marco Nero wrote:

Mk7 wrote:

Are you sure these are real? You mean there really is a MarkII? I seem to recall someone once saying:

Marco Nero wrote:

"Canon have no intention of producing a sequel to the G1X. I've been pointing this out for over a year now but for some strange reason people here keep expecting to see a successor.
In the meanwhile... forum members keep posting the same "where's the G2X?" threads asking for a sequel. There's not going to be one."

G1X Mk2 is NOT a G2X. It's not even considered a successor. Same as Canon lenses with a Mk2 designation are not a new type of lens but a re-marketing of the original lens using technical advancements. This new camera is simply a re-modelled G1X. In fact it's still called a G1X. It is not a G2X.

The Canon announcement begins:
"Canon has announced the long-awaited follow-up to its PowerShot G1 X large-sensor compact: the G1 X Mark II."
Where I come from, "follow-up", "sequel" and "successor" mean pretty much the same.
Anyway, I'm glad they did a follow-up.

Today on DPR news from Yokohama:
"The G1 X Mark II replaces the original G1 X, which was announced two years ago and offers several improvements over the older model including a faster 24-120mm equivalent F2.0-3.9 lens and a closer minimum focus distance."
Where I come from too, "follow-up", "sequel", "successor to" AND "replacement for" mean quite the same...

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Marco Nero
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,060Gear list
Like?
Re: Am I getting one? I agree with Marco
In reply to nolten, 9 months ago

nolten wrote:

My sentiments exactly Marco. Sorry to say I'm glad you were wrong in your prediction and that the line will continue.

Thanks but it's not really a true sequel.  The new model is still a G1X only it is considered to be an "update" to the original model, hence the name is still "G1X" yet it now has a designation as a Mark 2 model rather than an entirely new model name. I do find this strange.  It's just like releasing an update to the 24mm lens and calling it the 24mm f/1.4L II (which is something we often try to obtain when it happens because the Mark 2 models always tend to address "problems" with the original model that are "resolved" in the updated model: the Mark II.  I find it odd that they did not name it the G2X because there's enough physical change to warrant an entirely new model naming convention.  New lens, new lens elements, new body design, new features etc.  Only Canon will know the answer to that.  But when people ask me if it's a new camera or an update on the older model, it's essentially from the same "stock" but i'd consider it to be a different kind of animal due to physical differences.  The only thing that is consistent with the first model is the 14MP sensor... but even that has been cropped and supposedly updated ...and is said by Canon to be a new version of the original 1.5" sensor on the G1X.

The mk 2 is an improvement assuming the lens and sensor are up to its predecessor, but not compelling enough yet for me to upgrade. The G1X is already so good in IQ compared to my 5Ds and L lenses that I feel there is little reasonable room for improvement. If this assumption is wrong things might change. But I've invested in several accessories like the underwater housing and RRS mounting bracket and this weighs on a replacement decision.

I honestly believe that if I took pictures with the G1X Mk I or Mk II at the same focal lengths, that most people would not notice a difference between the shots. Only at 100% (noise moire) or at 24mm wide would any differences distinguish the Mk II from the original. I guess the question is: will the G1X Mk II give us images that the Mk I would fail to capture?  The answer has to be yes.  But less noise from Canon in 2013 & 2014 would appear to mean more moire due to very aggressive algorythms from the manufacturer.  I was mighty unhappy with this in the Canon s120 recently.

I particularly agree with Marco on the loss of the fully closing swivel LCD. I use my G backpacking and hiking and it gets banged around a lot - I like the extra protection for the LCD. I often use the tilt/swivel in ways a tilt only won't do. Yup, "a step backwards". Still, it seems a nice upgrade and I welcome it.

Even looking back on the original user manual from the G1X Mk I, you can see good reason for this  flip screen in protecting the LCD display from damage (see below image).  I use the EOS-M as well and this camera has a fixed LCD display screen... but I carry that camera in a TLZ camera case from Lowepro and ALWAYS make sure to tuck in the hard plastic buckles from the camera strap when placing the camera in the case so that it does not scratch or damage the screen.  If Canon REALLY wanted to make the G1X Mk II a camera for serious travelers, it should certainly have included a Fully Articulated LCD display.  Because travelers and Journos will need to protect their camera against impact damage or scratches to the delicate display.  And don't suggest that a protector screen be used... because the new Mk II sports a TOUCHSCREEN which is both optically compromised by such screens and also operationally hampered - as noted by users here - due to lack of precise touch to the capacitance surface of the screen.

-- hide signature --

Regards,
Marco Nero.
www.pbase.com/nero_design

 Marco Nero's gear list:Marco Nero's gear list
Canon PowerShot G1 X Canon PowerShot S95 Canon EOS M Canon EOS 60D Canon EOS 5D Mark III +6 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Marco Nero
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,060Gear list
Like?
Re: I hope Marco buys it.
In reply to jonrobertp, 9 months ago

jonrobertp wrote:

Because he is so good in knowing how to use it and I'd love to see what he can do with it. Really.

Thanks.  Canon didn't contact me - but there's a reason for that (they're apparently still very annoyed with me for leaking some specs on a PowerShot years ago... not that I was employed with them at the time).
.
I'm right on the fence with this camera.  I think it's slightly more versatile than the Mk 1 and would offer some great felexibility in low light with superb image quality with a fixed lens, including a great Macro lens.  But there are some things I don't like about it (LCD, 24mm, noise-reduction algorithm etc).  The links to samples that were posted here on the forum in the wee hours this morning really impress me.
.
Still weighing up whether to buy or not.  I would normally be able to decide in an instant... which makes me think that the reasons for upgrading are not necessarily compelling enough yet. But I would recommend it to others based on what I see now.

-- hide signature --

Regards,
Marco Nero.
www.pbase.com/nero_design

 Marco Nero's gear list:Marco Nero's gear list
Canon PowerShot G1 X Canon PowerShot S95 Canon EOS M Canon EOS 60D Canon EOS 5D Mark III +6 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
frameman
Contributing MemberPosts: 903
Like?
Re: I hope Marco buys it.
In reply to Marco Nero, 9 months ago

Have to agree Macro Nero. The camera is neither fish nor fowl. I always thought that the G1X was an uber-compact, pushing DSLRs on IQ yet retaining the compact space. The G1X II has a mixed personality, good lens, shape and an EVF (though expensive) dual rings yet it still has powered zoom, a compromised flash ability and looses the flip screen. Price for the body will fluctuate with a street price taking over eventually, but I don't see that happening with the EVF as it is obviously going to fit the M series eventually.

As written before, I was looking for a DSLR replacement. In ridding myself of said system I would loose much money, and some useability if I opt for the G1X II. If I keep said DSLR system and add a G!X (original) I would gain flexibility. As you I will have to fence sit untill a few reviews happen. There is one more thing I have thoughts on, namely, will the IQ threaten a DSLR. Canon and others make a lot of revenue on aftersales kit, this will be limited on the G1X II, and maybe this explains some of the omiission in the product. We shall see no doubt.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
wolfie
Senior MemberPosts: 2,651
Like?
What's the beef with 24mm wide?
In reply to Marco Nero, 8 months ago

Marco Nero wrote:

I'm right on the fence with this camera. I think it's slightly more versatile than the Mk 1 and would offer some great felexibility in low light with superb image quality with a fixed lens, including a great Macro lens. But there are some things I don't like about it (LCD, 24mm, noise-reduction algorithm etc). The links to samples that were posted here on the forum in the wee hours this morning really impress me.

I'd have thought a step wider than 28mm could only increase its appeal - it certainly does for me. Basically this is a fast lens that covers 90% of  my hobby/social/landscape/macro photography. I'm interested in why it's a negative for you - would you want more telephoto?

-- hide signature --

Shoot the Light fantastic

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
tkbslc
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,437Gear list
Like?
Re: What's the beef with 24mm wide?
In reply to wolfie, 8 months ago

wolfie wrote:

Marco Nero wrote:

I'm right on the fence with this camera. I think it's slightly more versatile than the Mk 1 and would offer some great felexibility in low light with superb image quality with a fixed lens, including a great Macro lens. But there are some things I don't like about it (LCD, 24mm, noise-reduction algorithm etc). The links to samples that were posted here on the forum in the wee hours this morning really impress me.

I'd have thought a step wider than 28mm could only increase its appeal - it certainly does for me. Basically this is a fast lens that covers 90% of my hobby/social/landscape/macro photography. I'm interested in why it's a negative for you - would you want more telephoto?

The only think I can think of is that someone would prefer 28mm f2 instead of 28mm f2.8 (which is what it drops to).  But for a travel camera, more wide angle can only be a positive in my book.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
technic
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,485Gear list
Like?
Re: What's the beef with 24mm wide?
In reply to wolfie, 8 months ago

wolfie wrote:

Marco Nero wrote:

I'm right on the fence with this camera. I think it's slightly more versatile than the Mk 1 and would offer some great felexibility in low light with superb image quality with a fixed lens, including a great Macro lens. But there are some things I don't like about it (LCD, 24mm, noise-reduction algorithm etc). The links to samples that were posted here on the forum in the wee hours this morning really impress me.

I'd have thought a step wider than 28mm could only increase its appeal - it certainly does for me. Basically this is a fast lens that covers 90% of my hobby/social/landscape/macro photography.

agree, except it won't cover my macro photography because that requires long tele primes. If the G1X2 optical quality is as good as the EU price suggests, this camera can replace my 'walkaround kit', a 450D with 15-85IS zoom (a combo with similar sensor resolution and zoom range, but 2x the size and weight of the G1X2). I guess the G1X2 will be much better for closeups too, because the 15-85IS closeup performance is awful. For real macro I will stick to DSLR.

G1X2 compared to 450D with 15-85IS

 technic's gear list:technic's gear list
Canon EOS 450D Canon EF 200mm f/2.8L II USM Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF 300mm f/4.0L IS USM Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM +5 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
flektogon
Senior MemberPosts: 1,273
Like?
Re: What's the beef with 24mm wide?
In reply to wolfie, 8 months ago

wolfie wrote:

Marco Nero wrote:

I'm right on the fence with this camera. I think it's slightly more versatile than the Mk 1 and would offer some great felexibility in low light with superb image quality with a fixed lens, including a great Macro lens. But there are some things I don't like about it (LCD, 24mm, noise-reduction algorithm etc). The links to samples that were posted here on the forum in the wee hours this morning really impress me.

I'd have thought a step wider than 28mm could only increase its appeal - it certainly does for me. Basically this is a fast lens that covers 90% of my hobby/social/landscape/macro photography. I'm interested in why it's a negative for you - would you want more telephoto?

-- hide signature --

Shoot the Light fantastic

It's not only 24mm, what makes this camera so attractive, at least for me. The lens as whole is in my opinion a reason to get that camera. Similar lens for any similar interchangeable camera would cost at least as much as this camera. Of course, for someone who already has the first model it might be a painful solution to throw it away.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Leites
Regular MemberPosts: 299Gear list
Like?
Re: What's the beef with 24mm wide?
In reply to flektogon, 8 months ago

flektogon wrote:

wolfie wrote:

Marco Nero wrote:

I'm right on the fence with this camera. I think it's slightly more versatile than the Mk 1 and would offer some great felexibility in low light with superb image quality with a fixed lens, including a great Macro lens. But there are some things I don't like about it (LCD, 24mm, noise-reduction algorithm etc). The links to samples that were posted here on the forum in the wee hours this morning really impress me.

I'd have thought a step wider than 28mm could only increase its appeal - it certainly does for me. Basically this is a fast lens that covers 90% of my hobby/social/landscape/macro photography. I'm interested in why it's a negative for you - would you want more telephoto?

-- hide signature --

Shoot the Light fantastic

Similar lens for any similar interchangeable camera would cost at least as much as this camera.

Actually you won't find any similar lenses for interchangeable camera. There are no zoom lenses started with F2 and 24mm.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
papybenenuts
Regular MemberPosts: 173Gear list
Like?
Re: G1X Mk2 - First sample images ... (PICS)
In reply to Marco Nero, 8 months ago

super

it should be my next camera

mb

 papybenenuts's gear list:papybenenuts's gear list
Sony RX100 Nikon Coolpix P300 Nikon D7100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
coody
Senior MemberPosts: 1,038
Like?
Re: G1X Mk2 - First sample images ... (PICS) - Pictures from the manufacturer site is always good
In reply to Marco Nero, 8 months ago
No text.
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
c.hammett
Forum ProPosts: 11,580Gear list
Like?
Re: Am I getting one? My reasons for "not" ...
In reply to Marco Nero, 8 months ago

I am in total agreement with MarcoNero's remarks about the G1X. I bought mine partially because of his great images with it, and because of its size, lens focal lengths, IQ which I equate with images I've always gotten from my 7D /24-105, and fact that it has a flip screen which I've always preferred on a couple of other Canons I've owned.

I think most of us have a valid and very personal reason either to like the Mk II for its "improvements", or to dislike it for "stepping backwards" in some respects. I won't buy one most notably for lack of a built in VF. The G1X VF is lousy for sure, but it has saved me numerous times when the LCD was difficult to use under mid-day sun. I think the MkII's LCD screen's "tilt" is clunky looking, and the inability to flip it at some angles and turn it inward for protection are definitely deal breakers for me. The extra edge of the f2.0 really doesn't matter to me, because I've been using the G1X in low light in museums and dark cathedrals just fine. The necessity on the G1X of having to flip over to Macro to get  some  closer shots, (but not true Macro shots),  takes all of a second or two, once you get used to anticipating the need to do that.

I guess I just wanted to put my .02 worth in here, and surrender my place in line to someone else to buy the new MkII. For all of my negatives, I will admit that the touch screen would be neat ! I do love that on the SL1 !

Cheers to all.... carolyn

-- hide signature --

Ranger a.k.a chammett
http://www.pbase.com/chammett
'elegance is simplicity'

 c.hammett's gear list:c.hammett's gear list
Canon EOS 100D Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM Canon EF-S 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
jonrobertp
Forum ProPosts: 11,137Gear list
Like?
Re: Am I getting one? My reasons for "not" ...
In reply to c.hammett, 8 months ago

c.hammett wrote:

I am in total agreement with MarcoNero's remarks about the G1X. I bought mine partially because of his great images with it, and because of its size, lens focal lengths, IQ which I equate with images I've always gotten from my 7D /24-105, and fact that it has a flip screen which I've always preferred on a couple of other Canons I've owned.

I think most of us have a valid and very personal reason either to like the Mk II for its "improvements", or to dislike it for "stepping backwards" in some respects. I won't buy one most notably for lack of a built in VF. The G1X VF is lousy for sure, but it has saved me numerous times when the LCD was difficult to use under mid-day sun. I think the MkII's LCD screen's "tilt" is clunky looking, and the inability to flip it at some angles and turn it inward for protection are definitely deal breakers for me. The extra edge of the f2.0 really doesn't matter to me, because I've been using the G1X in low light in museums and dark cathedrals just fine. The necessity on the G1X of having to flip over to Macro to get some closer shots, (but not true Macro shots), takes all of a second or two, once you get used to anticipating the need to do that.

I guess I just wanted to put my .02 worth in here, and surrender my place in line to someone else to buy the new MkII. For all of my negatives, I will admit that the touch screen would be neat ! I do love that on the SL1 !

Cheers to all.... carolyn

-- hide signature --

Ranger a.k.a chammett
http://www.pbase.com/chammett
'elegance is simplicity'

Carolyn, nice to see you get good results in dim light w the G.  Today there is another rumour of the Nikon P 8000 which looks interesting to me as well.... if the talk turns out to be true as it was w the new G.

Smaller is good for my pockets. .....IMO ..if it happens before the new G is on shelves...it will take some sales momentum from G1x2.   Competition is good for consumers; even when gear is not exactly the same .

Best wishes

J.

 jonrobertp's gear list:jonrobertp's gear list
Canon PowerShot G1 X II Canon PowerShot G7 X Canon EOS 70D
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
krugman
Contributing MemberPosts: 939Gear list
Like?
Re: Am I getting one? My reasons for "not" ...
In reply to c.hammett, 8 months ago

c.hammett wrote:

I am in total agreement with MarcoNero's remarks about the G1X. I bought mine partially because of his great images with it, and because of its size, lens focal lengths, IQ which I equate with images I've always gotten from my 7D /24-105, and fact that it has a flip screen which I've always preferred on a couple of other Canons I've owned.

I think most of us have a valid and very personal reason either to like the Mk II for its "improvements", or to dislike it for "stepping backwards" in some respects. I won't buy one most notably for lack of a built in VF. The G1X VF is lousy for sure, but it has saved me numerous times when the LCD was difficult to use under mid-day sun. I think the MkII's LCD screen's "tilt" is clunky looking, and the inability to flip it at some angles and turn it inward for protection are definitely deal breakers for me. The extra edge of the f2.0 really doesn't matter to me, because I've been using the G1X in low light in museums and dark cathedrals just fine. The necessity on the G1X of having to flip over to Macro to get some closer shots, (but not true Macro shots), takes all of a second or two, once you get used to anticipating the need to do that.

I guess I just wanted to put my .02 worth in here, and surrender my place in line to someone else to buy the new MkII. For all of my negatives, I will admit that the touch screen would be neat ! I do love that on the SL1 !

Cheers to all.... carolyn

-- hide signature --

Ranger a.k.a chammett
http://www.pbase.com/chammett
'elegance is simplicity'

Hi, Carolyn,

So good to hear from you! My own thinking is similar to yours: I was mainly awaiting a built-in EVF. Not having one in the G1X Mark 2 is a big disappointment for me.

Speedier focusing is another requirement I have for a successor or supplement to the G1X.

The lack of inward turning LED is also a negative for me.

So the G1X Mark II has little interest for me. The faster lens is unimportant to me, and the extended zoom range is not of particular value to me.

The best upgrade from the  G1X I have found so far is the Fuji XT1, but it its heavier and expensive, so I am still thinking about it.

I am curious: how do you get such rich beautiful colors in your travel photos with the G1X? How do you set your camera for this? I am fully of admiration and envy,

Best regards,

Krugman

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
c.hammett
Forum ProPosts: 11,580Gear list
Like?
Re: Am I getting one? My reasons for "not" ...
In reply to krugman, 8 months ago

krugman wrote:Hi, Carolyn,

So good to hear from you! My own thinking is similar to yours: I was mainly awaiting a built-in EVF. Not having one in the G1X Mark 2 is a big disappointment for me.

Speedier focusing is another requirement I have for a successor or supplement to the G1X.

The lack of inward turning LED is also a negative for me.

So the G1X Mark II has little interest for me. The faster lens is unimportant to me, and the extended zoom range is not of particular value to me.

The best upgrade from the G1X I have found so far is the Fuji XT1, but it its heavier and expensive, so I am still thinking about it.

I am curious: how do you get such rich beautiful colors in your travel photos with the G1X? How do you set your camera for this? I am fully of admiration and envy,

Best regards,

HI Krugman -

Thanks for the nice compliments. I have had great luck with the G1X and use it mostly on trips in museums, cathedrals and often at night for stills, (outdoor lit sites), when we go out for dinner in the evening, as I am stick of carrying two cameras by that time.  (SL1 is my other trip camera).  I have no problem with either the G1X or the SL1  in low light.

As for colors, I keep it simple...On the G1X  I use "custom color" in the "set" menu, and bump up sat. and contrast and sharpness one notch.  That's it.  I try to use auto W/B, but often change that as needed.   I seldom do much PP on G1X images.

It would be nice to have faster shutter response on the G1X, , but most of my photography is "still", so not a big deal, and I bought the SL1 precisely for using on street grab shots and that kind imagery that does require instant response. So between those two cameras, I have exactly what I need, since I've kind of had to sideline my much loved 7D / 24-105 for travel, due to joint replacement in both wrists.  I can't fault these two smaller cameras for my uses !

Hope this helps ???

Cheers - carolyn

-- hide signature --

Ranger a.k.a chammett
http://www.pbase.com/chammett
'elegance is simplicity'

 c.hammett's gear list:c.hammett's gear list
Canon EOS 100D Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM Canon EF-S 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
c.hammett
Forum ProPosts: 11,580Gear list
Like?
Re: Am I getting one? My reasons for "not" ...
In reply to jonrobertp, 8 months ago

jonrobertp wrote:

Carolyn, nice to see you get good results in dim light w the G. Today there is another rumour of the Nikon P 8000 which looks interesting to me as well.... if the talk turns out to be true as it was w the new G.

Smaller is good for my pockets. .....IMO ..if it happens before the new G is on shelves...it will take some sales momentum from G1x2. Competition is good for consumers; even when gear is not exactly the same .

Best wishes

J.

I have been out-of-the-loop re: other similar new cameras from other manufacturers.  I've always had Canons since the beginning of time.... well since the old AE-1 anyway !   My brain is so Canon oriented, that I don't ever even look at other cameras any more. I had a little Oly once and hated it. I think I traded it in on a lens at my local (now long gone) local full service camera store.

If I were needing another camera, I would look at the Nikons though.  So let usknow how the P 8000 works out when /if you get one.

carolyn

-- hide signature --

Ranger a.k.a chammett
http://www.pbase.com/chammett
'elegance is simplicity'

 c.hammett's gear list:c.hammett's gear list
Canon EOS 100D Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM Canon EF-S 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads