G1X Mk2 - First sample images ... (PICS)

Started 5 months ago | Discussions
Marco Nero
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,986Gear list
Like?
G1X Mk2 - First sample images ... (PICS)
5 months ago

These images are already at 100% so don't bother clicking on them to view them larger. These are from the Australian Canon website and are said to be samples from the G1X Mk2. No doubt they have not been seriously post processed. Would make a good photojournalist camera imo.

http://www.canon.com.au/en-AU/Personal/Products/Cameras-and-Accessories/Digital-Cameras/PowerShot-G1X-Camera-Mark-II#enlargeImage

Marco Nero's gear list:Marco Nero's gear list
Canon PowerShot G11 Canon PowerShot S95 Canon PowerShot G1 X Canon EOS 60D Canon EOS 5D Mark III +7 more
Mk7
Mk7
Senior MemberPosts: 1,101
Like?
Re: G1X Mk2 - First sample images ... (PICS)
In reply to Marco Nero, 5 months ago

Are you sure these are real? You mean there really is a MarkII? I seem to recall someone once saying:

"Canon have no intention of producing a sequel to the G1X. I've been pointing this out for over a year now but for some strange reason people here keep expecting to see a successor.
In the meanwhile... forum members keep posting the same "where's the G2X?" threads asking for a sequel. There's not going to be one."

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Rally Man
Regular MemberPosts: 412Gear list
Like?
In reply to Mk7, 5 months ago

Mk7 wrote:

Are you sure these are real? You mean there really is a MarkII? I seem to recall someone once saying:

"Canon have no intention of producing a sequel to the G1X. I've been pointing this out for over a year now but for some strange reason people here keep expecting to see a successor.
In the meanwhile... forum members keep posting the same "where's the G2X?" threads asking for a sequel. There's not going to be one."

Yup tis true.  NEXT!

Mk7
Mk7
Like?

Corners are still soft

Marco Nero
Like?

Mk7 wrote:

G1X Mk2 is NOT a G2X.  It's not even considered a successor.  Same as Canon lenses with a Mk2 designation are not a new type of lens but a re-marketing of the original lens using technical advancements.  This new camera is simply a re-modelled G1X.  In fact it's still called a G1X.  It is not a G2X.

-- hide signature --

Regards,
Marco Nero.
www.pbase.com/nero_design

Canon PowerShot G11 Canon PowerShot S95 Canon PowerShot G1 X Canon EOS 60D Canon EOS 5D Mark III +7 more
Oswald61
Regular MemberPosts: 289
Like?

Great shots!

Will it fit into my tight trouser pocket though? If not. that's a deal breaker for me.

Tonkotsu Ramen
Contributing MemberPosts: 951Gear list
Like?

Marco are you getting this cam? I'm going to replace my S90 with it, and if I had my EOS-M, it would replace that as well. (Because I had only used it with the 22mm pancake). If it's good enough for my purposes, I will sell all my recently acquired Sony E-Mount stuff as well!

mcslsk
Senior MemberPosts: 1,019Gear list
Like?

Marco, come on, it is the successor of the G1X no matter how it is called . With no OVF, an EFV option, a different lense and a new processor, it is quite a development. Question will be IQ (hopr they did not mess with that) and speed (more AF points - but no on chip?)

mcslsk's gear list:mcslsk's gear list
Canon PowerShot S110 G1 X II Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS Sony E 55-210mm F4.5-6.3 OSS +3 more
Mk7
Mk7
Like?

Marco Nero wrote:

Mk7 wrote:

G1X Mk2 is NOT a G2X. It's not even considered a successor. Same as Canon lenses with a Mk2 designation are not a new type of lens but a re-marketing of the original lens using technical advancements. This new camera is simply a re-modelled G1X. In fact it's still called a G1X. It is not a G2X.

The Canon announcement begins:
"Canon has announced the long-awaited follow-up to its PowerShot G1 X large-sensor compact: the G1 X Mark II."
Where I come from, "follow-up", "sequel" and "successor" mean pretty much the same.
Anyway, I'm glad they did a follow-up.

mcslsk
Senior MemberPosts: 1,019Gear list
Like?

Absolutely. Developing such a lovely Chip/lens combo and not following up would have been very sad. I am a bit nervous about focus/overall speed. EOS-M was not that great as I understand, so let's hope for this one to be acceptable.

mcslsk's gear list:mcslsk's gear list
Canon PowerShot S110 G1 X II Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS Sony E 55-210mm F4.5-6.3 OSS +3 more
Tonkotsu Ramen
Like?
In reply to mcslsk, 5 months ago

mcslsk wrote:

Absolutely. Developing such a lovely Chip/lens combo and not following up would have been very sad. I am a bit nervous about focus/overall speed. EOS-M was not that great as I understand, so let's hope for this one to be acceptable.

When I was looking for a compact, I compared the Sony RX100II and Canon S120 side by side. The Sony had the "previous gen" Bionz processor, and the Canon had the new Digic 6.

In this case, the canon was quick (much faster than the EOS-M), but the sony was simply faster. During my brief usage, AF speed was about the same between the two, but the sony processed it's shots faster and had a much faster turnaround time, I'd say almost 2x faster.

Now, sony has the bionzX processor which, in the A6000, allows 11FPS with AF and a nearly unlimited buffer when shooting jpg.

To me, this tells me canon is still significantly behind sony when it comes to live view (lcd) shooting. Canon simply hasn't developed its non-dslr line to the point where they can match sony and ILC makes.

So in my opinion, it is definitely acceptable, but will quickly be leapfrogged by sony and the ILC gang in 1 year/generation.

tkbslc
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,045Gear list
Like?
In reply to Oswald61, 5 months ago

Oswald61 wrote:

Great shots!

Will it fit into my tight trouser pocket though? If not. that's a deal breaker for me.

Obviously not.

Marco Nero
Like?
Tonkotsu Ramen: Re: Am I getting one?
In reply to Tonkotsu Ramen, 5 months ago

Tonkotsu Ramen wrote:

Marco are you getting this cam? I'm going to replace my S90 with it, and if I had my EOS-M, it would replace that as well. (Because I had only used it with the 22mm pancake). If it's good enough for my purposes, I will sell all my recently acquired Sony E-Mount stuff as well!

Whenever a new camera is announced, the first thing I try to do is figure out if it can do a better job than any of my existing cameras. Less noise, better low-light performance and accurate AF is important to me. Better dynamic range is also important. Usually, when a new camera is announced, it's only slight more advanced than previous models. Thus I tend to wait a couple of years between models to see a larger increase in technology and capability.
The G1X Mk2 needs to be able to outperform my G1X. At this stage the photograph samples look much the same as what I can get right now with my G1X. A slightly wider lens means more aspherical distortion. A faster, brighter lens often struggles with Chromatic Aberration unless stopped down. Less noise at higher ISO sounds good... although the recent S120 was a massive disappointment to me because the camera was aggressively over-processing the images with strong noise-reduction.
The G1X has a lot going for it so the G1X Mk2 needs to offer me much more. Lack of a Flip Screen means I can't protect the LCD in a bag. It certainly can't do what my EOS-M does so well and even the reports from Canon that the G1X Mk2 state that "you can achive high quality background blur" [when shooting Wide at f2.0].  But I remember Canon making much the same claims about the G1X when it was released and the background blur was quite limited unless shooting with additional closeup lenses.

Original G1X - pretty small to begin with.
At this stage I don't see any reason to update my G1X but I would like to see this new update to the G1X (that's what the Mk2 is... it's an updated G1X) is explained by Canon.  A new owner who doesn't have a G1X might want to adopt the new machine. I think it has strong merits.  There's a potential for disappointment if the camera design or software is lacking in any way. A wide lens might produce vignetting with an external filter.  Will it take the old filter mount?  Will Canon limit the features on the camera to prevent damage to their more lucrative DSLR lens range?  Could they over apply overly aggressive noise reduction to draw the most out of the lowlight abilities they're claiming?  Why not?  They've done it before.
We really need to wait and see what other people's first experiences are.  It's not a pretty camera but neither was the G1X.  Both are tough and rugged but being unable to flip the LCD around to protect it on the G1X Mk2 means there's a real risk of damage in a bag or hanging from your shoulder.  Some of the design aspects are a step backwards.  We just have to wait and see more.  If it turns out to be a noticeable advancement over the original version of the G1X, then I'd certainly consider it.  But so far the Mk2 looks to be a stripped-down version of what most of us might want and the promises of faster AF and better low noise performance must first be proven against the critics.

-- hide signature --

Regards,
Marco Nero.

Tonkotsu Ramen
Like?
Re: Tonkotsu Ramen: Re: Am I getting one?

For me, what i've wanted for a really long time was a "true" S90 upgrade, as in, not a lateral upgrade like the year to year ones. I basically wanted a fixed zoom lens version of the EOS-M, and that was the G1X.

Unfortunately, I read review after review of the slow-ish performance, and while ergonomics were really good (you're right, the M2 seems to have taken a few steps back), the thing was just a bit too big.

Well, for me, this might just be it. When the specs were announced, I put up all my current small camera gear. Though I'm not leaving Sony A-Mount yet.

While this isn't as pocketable as my S90, it appears to be exactly what I'm looking for in a camera.

-Large sensor

-compact body

-tilting + touchscreen LCD

-wide angle

-close up performance comparable to my S90 (none of the non-macro NEX lenses do well in this aspect, which is why I'm going to sell all my E-Mount stuff)

The things that worry me now are:

-weight

-battery life

-size

Assuming those are all acceptable, this will be my main camera for the next few years just like the S90 was my main camera until my friend dropped it.

Oswald61
Regular MemberPosts: 289
Like?

So you'll be buying one them Marco, right?;-)

Just so you know I'm only joking. I feel sorry for all the flack you took back when the original G1x came out. You did a great job of showing what the camera was capable of. It was you and some others here that made me want to go and get the G1x and sell my Olympus Xz1.

For all it's quirks, the G1x is a fantastic camera. The new version looks promising.

Marco Nero wrote:

Tonkotsu Ramen wrote:

Whenever a new camera is announced, the first thing I try to do is figure out if it can do a better job than any of my existing cameras. Less noise, better low-light performance and accurate AF is important to me. Better dynamic range is also important. Usually, when a new camera is announced, it's only slight more advanced than previous models. Thus I tend to wait a couple of years between models to see a larger increase in technology and capability.
The G1X Mk2 needs to be able to outperform my G1X. At this stage the photograph samples look much the same as what I can get right now with my G1X. A slightly wider lens means more aspherical distortion. A faster, brighter lens often struggles with Chromatic Aberration unless stopped down. Less noise at higher ISO sounds good... although the recent S120 was a massive disappointment to me because the camera was aggressively over-processing the images with strong noise-reduction.
The G1X has a lot going for it so the G1X Mk2 needs to offer me much more. Lack of a Flip Screen means I can't protect the LCD in a bag. It certainly can't do what my EOS-M does so well and even the reports from Canon that the G1X Mk2 state that "you can achive high quality background blur" [when shooting Wide at f2.0]. But I remember Canon making much the same claims about the G1X when it was released and the background blur was quite limited unless shooting with additional closeup lenses.

At this stage I don't see any reason to update my G1X but I would like to see this new update to the G1X (that's what the Mk2 is... it's an updated G1X) is explained by Canon. A new owner who doesn't have a G1X might want to adopt the new machine. I think it has strong merits. There's a potential for disappointment if the camera design or software is lacking in any way. A wide lens might produce vignetting with an external filter. Will it take the old filter mount? Will Canon limit the features on the camera to prevent damage to their more lucrative DSLR lens range? Could they over apply overly aggressive noise reduction to draw the most out of the lowlight abilities they're claiming? Why not? They've done it before.
We really need to wait and see what other people's first experiences are. It's not a pretty camera but neither was the G1X. Both are tough and rugged but being unable to flip the LCD around to protect it on the G1X Mk2 means there's a real risk of damage in a bag or hanging from your shoulder. Some of the design aspects are a step backwards. We just have to wait and see more. If it turns out to be a noticeable advancement over the original version of the G1X, then I'd certainly consider it. But so far the Mk2 looks to be a stripped-down version of what most of us might want and the promises of faster AF and better low noise performance must first be proven against the critics.

-- hide signature --

Regards,
Marco Nero.

biza43
Senior MemberPosts: 1,969Gear list
Like?

Marco Nero wrote:

Mk7 wrote:

G1X Mk2 is NOT a G2X. It's not even considered a successor. Same as Canon lenses with a Mk2 designation are not a new type of lens but a re-marketing of the original lens using technical advancements. This new camera is simply a re-modelled G1X. In fact it's still called a G1X. It is not a G2X.

-- hide signature --

Regards,
Marco Nero.

Really? Are you saying that the G1X MKII is not the successor of the G1X? Come on, you are grabbing at straws here... there is nothing wrong in admitting one was wrong...

-- hide signature --

www.paulobizarro.com

biza43's gear list:biza43's gear list
Canon EOS 6D Olympus E-M1 Carl Zeiss Distagon T* 2,8/21 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 17mm 1:1.8 +1 more
biza43
Senior MemberPosts: 1,969Gear list
Like?

Marco Nero wrote:

Tonkotsu Ramen wrote:

The G1X has a lot going for it so the G1X Mk2 needs to offer me much more. Lack of a Flip Screen means I can't protect the LCD in a bag. It certainly can't do what my EOS-M does so well and even the reports from Canon that the G1X Mk2 state that "you can achive high quality background blur" [when shooting Wide at f2.0]. But I remember Canon making much the same claims about the G1X when it was released and the background blur was quite limited unless shooting with additional closeup lenses.

At this stage I don't see any reason to update my G1X but I would like to see this new update to the G1X (that's what the Mk2 is... it's an updated G1X) is explained by Canon. A new owner who doesn't have a G1X might want to adopt the new machine. I think it has strong merits. There's a potential for disappointment if the camera design or software is lacking in any way. A wide lens might produce vignetting with an external filter. Will it take the old filter mount? Will Canon limit the features on the camera to prevent damage to their more lucrative DSLR lens range? Could they over apply overly aggressive noise reduction to draw the most out of the lowlight abilities they're claiming? Why not? They've done it before.
We really need to wait and see what other people's first experiences are. It's not a pretty camera but neither was the G1X. Both are tough and rugged but being unable to flip the LCD around to protect it on the G1X Mk2 means there's a real risk of damage in a bag or hanging from your shoulder. Some of the design aspects are a step backwards. We just have to wait and see more. If it turns out to be a noticeable advancement over the original version of the G1X, then I'd certainly consider it. But so far the Mk2 looks to be a stripped-down version of what most of us might want and the promises of faster AF and better low noise performance must first be proven against the critics.

-- hide signature --

Regards,
Marco Nero.

The G1X is still a very good camera, but the MKII seems to improve on most of the previous version's limitations. And there is a big difference between 28mm and 24mm, and a big difference between the maximum apertures on the new lens, compared to the older lens.

As for "being unable to flip the LCD around to protect it on the G1X Mk2 means there's a real risk of damage in a bag or hanging from your shoulder", I really don't find it a true problem. In all my years of using, and abusing, my digital cameras, I have never damaged an LCD. And if you are really concerned, you can always buy a cover.

-- hide signature --

www.paulobizarro.com

biza43's gear list:biza43's gear list
Canon EOS 6D Olympus E-M1 Carl Zeiss Distagon T* 2,8/21 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 17mm 1:1.8 +1 more
Wellington100
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,755Gear list
Like?
Oh wow

Marco Nero wrote:

These images are already at 100% so don't bother clicking on them to view them larger. These are from the Australian Canon website and are said to be samples from the G1X Mk2. No doubt they have not been seriously post processed. Would make a good photojournalist camera imo.

http://www.canon.com.au/en-AU/Personal/Products/Cameras-and-Accessories/Digital-Cameras/PowerShot-G1X-Camera-Mark-II#enlargeImage

This is the camera that I have been waiting for for the last 10 years. Bye bye Nikon

-- hide signature --

Doctors are bad for your lifestyle.

wolfie
Senior MemberPosts: 2,527
Like?
Finally an upgrade path for my G11 replacement!

Was disappointed in size and performance of G1X, but the wider zoom range is absolutely perfect for my uses outdoors, and with fast aperture, close focus, hopefully decent AF and 5fps it should tick a lot of boxes as a top walk around compact. Pity the battery life is only 240 shots so I would always be taking a spare. Price looks OK too.

-- hide signature --

Shoot the Light fantastic

Inir
New MemberPosts: 1
Like?

Looking at the EXIF data all pictures were taken within a period of 15 minutes !!!!!!

From night pictures to pictures at daytime

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads