With the world’s fastest autofocus system (A6000)

Started 7 months ago | Discussions
sean lancaster
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,265Gear list
Like?
With the world’s fastest autofocus system (A6000)
7 months ago

Just found this on th eSony site: http://blog.sony.com/press/sony-electronics-introduces-the-versatile-α6000-interchangeable-lens-camera-with-worlds-fastest-autofocus-system1/

So, fastest AF seems to be running rampant through mirrorless camera announcements lately (e.g., see the Fujifilm X-T1). But it's nice to see Sony at least believing they can make the claim about one of their cameras. Hmmmm.

Snippet: Even quicker than most professional DSLRs, the phenomenal autofocus speed of the α6000 camera is powered by Sony’s advanced Hybrid AF system. The new model features a focal plane phase-detection AF sensor with an extremely wide autofocus coverage area – 179 focal points– that is teamed with high-precision contrast-detection AF. This potent combination allows the camera to accurately track and respond to a subject moving through nearly the entire frame, and to shoot at an eye-popping speed of up to 11 frames per second with continuous autofocus. It’s an unprecedented combination of speed and frame coverage in today’s market.

Another snippet: The Sony α6000 compact interchangeable lens camera will be available in April 2014 in black and silver in a kit with a compact, versatile 16-50mm motorized zoom lens (model SELP1650) for about $800. It will also be offered separately as a body for about $650.

-- hide signature --
 sean lancaster's gear list:sean lancaster's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony Alpha 7 Voigtlander 35mm F1.2 Nokton Sony FE 55mm F1.8 +2 more
Fujifilm X-T1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
sean lancaster
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,265Gear list
Like?
Re: With the world’s fastest autofocus system (A6000)
In reply to sean lancaster, 7 months ago

dpreview has their first look at the A6000 here.

-- hide signature --
 sean lancaster's gear list:sean lancaster's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony Alpha 7 Voigtlander 35mm F1.2 Nokton Sony FE 55mm F1.8 +2 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
CalvinLayne
Junior MemberPosts: 28Gear list
Like?
Re: With the world’s fastest autofocus system (A6000)
In reply to sean lancaster, 7 months ago

Now I just wait for that nex 6 price drop

 CalvinLayne's gear list:CalvinLayne's gear list
A3000
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
captura
Forum ProPosts: 13,570Gear list
Like?
Re: With the world’s fastest autofocus system (A6000)
In reply to sean lancaster, 7 months ago

sean lancaster wrote:

Just found this on th eSony site: http://blog.sony.com/press/sony-electronics-introduces-the-versatile-α6000-interchangeable-lens-camera-with-worlds-fastest-autofocus-system1/

So, fastest AF seems to be running rampant through mirrorless camera announcements lately (e.g., see the Fujifilm X-T1). But it's nice to see Sony at least believing they can make the claim about one of their cameras. Hmmmm.

Snippet: Even quicker than most professional DSLRs, the phenomenal autofocus speed of the α6000 camera is powered by Sony’s advanced Hybrid AF system. The new model features a focal plane phase-detection AF sensor with an extremely wide autofocus coverage area – 179 focal points– that is teamed with high-precision contrast-detection AF. This potent combination allows the camera to accurately track and respond to a subject moving through nearly the entire frame, and to shoot at an eye-popping speed of up to 11 frames per second with continuous autofocus. It’s an unprecedented combination of speed and frame coverage in today’s market.

Another snippet: The Sony α6000 compact interchangeable lens camera will be available in April 2014 in black and silver in a kit with a compact, versatile 16-50mm motorized zoom lens (model SELP1650) for about $800. It will also be offered separately as a body for about $650.

-- hide signature --

Good find.

"The new model features a focal plane phase-detection AF sensor with an extremely wide autofocus coverage area – 179 focal points."

Canon have pioneered this approach and I think that Nikon are onto it, too. The points are spread out to cover most of the focal plane. Current NEX-6 and 5R/T models were already quite fast when using PDAF-adaptable Sony E-mount lenses, contrary to some negative 'spin' otherwise. This A6000 indeed, with a new 24mp sensor, just might become a Fuji XT1-beater.

 captura's gear list:captura's gear list
Fujifilm X10 Sony Alpha NEX-7 Samsung NX1000 NEX5R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R +10 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
jpr2
Forum ProPosts: 13,733
Like?
Sean: AF is running rampant in announcements indeed :( n/t
In reply to sean lancaster, 7 months ago

jpr2

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
krae
New MemberPosts: 8
Like?
Re: With the world’s fastest autofocus system (A6000)
In reply to sean lancaster, 7 months ago

Video preview here: DanKReviews

I like the multiple little green squares showing the active AF points than the one big green box on the a7.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
captura
Forum ProPosts: 13,570Gear list
Like?
Re: Sony a6000 First Impressions Review posted
In reply to sean lancaster, 7 months ago

sean lancaster wrote:

dpreview has their first look at the A6000 here.

-- hide signature --

You got there first, Sean!

 captura's gear list:captura's gear list
Fujifilm X10 Sony Alpha NEX-7 Samsung NX1000 NEX5R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R +10 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
EinsteinsGhost
Forum ProPosts: 10,897Gear list
Like?
Nice! And there's the NEX-5R/T replacement, now with EVF!!
In reply to sean lancaster, 7 months ago

Thanks for posting this.

sean lancaster wrote:

Just found this on th eSony site: http://blog.sony.com/press/sony-electronics-introduces-the-versatile-α6000-interchangeable-lens-camera-with-worlds-fastest-autofocus-system1/

So, fastest AF seems to be running rampant through mirrorless camera announcements lately (e.g., see the Fujifilm X-T1). But it's nice to see Sony at least believing they can make the claim about one of their cameras. Hmmmm.

Snippet: Even quicker than most professional DSLRs, the phenomenal autofocus speed of the α6000 camera is powered by Sony’s advanced Hybrid AF system. The new model features a focal plane phase-detection AF sensor with an extremely wide autofocus coverage area – 179 focal points– that is teamed with high-precision contrast-detection AF. This potent combination allows the camera to accurately track and respond to a subject moving through nearly the entire frame, and to shoot at an eye-popping speed of up to 11 frames per second with continuous autofocus. It’s an unprecedented combination of speed and frame coverage in today’s market.

Another snippet: The Sony α6000 compact interchangeable lens camera will be available in April 2014 in black and silver in a kit with a compact, versatile 16-50mm motorized zoom lens (model SELP1650) for about $800. It will also be offered separately as a body for about $650.

-- hide signature --
 EinsteinsGhost's gear list:EinsteinsGhost's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-F828 Sony SLT-A55 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sigma 18-250mm F3.5-6.3 DC OS HSM Sony 135mm F2.8 (T4.5) STF +12 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
dlkeller
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,207
Like?
Power Zoom Question
In reply to sean lancaster, 7 months ago

A most E mount lenses Power Zoom or is this one an exception?  My experience with power zoom has not been very good as it is usually slower and harder to control than manual zoom so I'm really curious.

-- hide signature --

Dave

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
SDF
SDF
Senior MemberPosts: 2,131Gear list
Like?
Re: Power Zoom Question
In reply to dlkeller, 7 months ago

Dave, only two. This PZ pancake kit zoom and the PZ18-200mm. The rest are manuals.

dlkeller wrote:

A most E mount lenses Power Zoom or is this one an exception? My experience with power zoom has not been very good as it is usually slower and harder to control than manual zoom so I'm really curious.

-- hide signature --

Dave

 SDF's gear list:SDF's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Sony RX1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-L1 Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony Alpha NEX-6 +3 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
captura
Forum ProPosts: 13,570Gear list
Like?
Re: Sony a6000 First Impressions Review posted
In reply to captura, 7 months ago

http://www.dpreview.com/previews/sony-alpha-a6000

  • 24.3 megapixel APS-C CMOS sensor
  • Bionz X image processor
  • Hybrid AF system with 25 contrast-detect and 179 phase-detect points
  • Built-in flash + Multi-Interface Shoe
  • 11 fps continuous shooting with subject-tracking
  • 3-inch tilting LCD with 921,600 dots
  • Articulated LCD Tilting
    Screen size 3″
    Touch screen NO
    Screen type TFT LCD
  • OLED electronic viewfinder with 1.44M dots * NEX-6 Viewfinder resolution was 2,359,000 dots!
  • Diffraction correction, area-specific noise reduction, and detail reproduction technology
  • Full HD video recording at 1080/60p and 24p; clean HDMI output
  • Wi-Fi with NFC capability and downloadable apps
  • new processor as offering 'Detail Reproduction Technology'
  • the Bionz X processor has 'Diffraction Reduction'
  • the Bionz X chip offers a more advanced version of its context-sensitive, 'area-specific noise reduction'
  • Max burst rate increased from 10 to 11 fps.
  • the EVF, which is smaller and lower resolution....WHY?
  • Viewfinder resolution 1,440,000
  • Environmentally sealed NO.
  • Weight (inc. batteries) 344 g (0.76 lb / 12.13 oz)
  • Dimensions120 x 67 x 45 mm (4.72 x 2.64 x 1.77″)

The major changes here are related to the sensor. The new 24 megapixel 'Exmor APS HD' CMOS sensor has on-chip phase detection like its predecessor, but covers a much larger area of the frame. Sony promises better AF tracking, especially when shooting continuously. The a6000 uses Sony's latest image processor - Bionz X - which touts improved detail and smarter noise reduction as improvements.

While the specs of the a6000's movie mode aren't a whole lot different from the NEX-6, users now have access to a zebra pattern, and can output 'clean' video over HDMI. The menus have switched to the new 'Alpha' style found on the a7 and a7R (for better or for worse), and the camera can now be controlled via a Mac or PC over a USB connection. The Wi-Fi feature is about the same as on the NEX-6, with even more apps available for download.

Why was the EVF reduced to  1.44M dots ?

-

 captura's gear list:captura's gear list
Fujifilm X10 Sony Alpha NEX-7 Samsung NX1000 NEX5R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R +10 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
SDF
SDF
Senior MemberPosts: 2,131Gear list
Like?
Re: With the world’s fastest autofocus system (A6000)
In reply to krae, 7 months ago

Just watched the video. Wow .06 seconds AF speed is amazing.

krae wrote:

Video preview here: DanKReviews

I like the multiple little green squares showing the active AF points than the one big green box on the a7.

 SDF's gear list:SDF's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Sony RX1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-L1 Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony Alpha NEX-6 +3 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Gato Amarillo
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,455
Like?
Re: Power Zoom Question
In reply to SDF, 7 months ago

The 18-105 f4 is also power zoom.

-- hide signature --

"We paint with our brain, not with our hands" -- Michelangelo
Portrait, figure and fantasy photography at Silver Mirage Gallery:
silvermirage.com

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
EinsteinsGhost
Forum ProPosts: 10,897Gear list
Like?
Re: Sony a6000 First Impressions Review posted
In reply to captura, 7 months ago

captura wrote:

http://www.dpreview.com/previews/sony-alpha-a6000

  • 24.3 megapixel APS-C CMOS sensor
  • Bionz X image processor
  • Hybrid AF system with 25 contrast-detect and 179 phase-detect points
  • Built-in flash + Multi-Interface Shoe
  • 11 fps continuous shooting with subject-tracking
  • 3-inch tilting LCD with 921,600 dots
  • Articulated LCD Tilting
    Screen size 3″
    Touch screen NO
    Screen type TFT LCD
  • OLED electronic viewfinder with 1.44M dots * NEX-6 Viewfinder resolution was 2,359,000 dots!
  • Diffraction correction, area-specific noise reduction, and detail reproduction technology
  • Full HD video recording at 1080/60p and 24p; clean HDMI output
  • Wi-Fi with NFC capability and downloadable apps
  • new processor as offering 'Detail Reproduction Technology'
  • the Bionz X processor has 'Diffraction Reduction'
  • the Bionz X chip offers a more advanced version of its context-sensitive, 'area-specific noise reduction'
  • Max burst rate increased from 10 to 11 fps.
  • the EVF, which is smaller and lower resolution....WHY?
  • Viewfinder resolution 1,440,000
  • Environmentally sealed NO.
  • Weight (inc. batteries) 344 g (0.76 lb / 12.13 oz)
  • Dimensions120 x 67 x 45 mm (4.72 x 2.64 x 1.77″)

The major changes here are related to the sensor. The new 24 megapixel 'Exmor APS HD' CMOS sensor has on-chip phase detection like its predecessor, but covers a much larger area of the frame. Sony promises better AF tracking, especially when shooting continuously. The a6000 uses Sony's latest image processor - Bionz X - which touts improved detail and smarter noise reduction as improvements.

While the specs of the a6000's movie mode aren't a whole lot different from the NEX-6, users now have access to a zebra pattern, and can output 'clean' video over HDMI. The menus have switched to the new 'Alpha' style found on the a7 and a7R (for better or for worse), and the camera can now be controlled via a Mac or PC over a USB connection. The Wi-Fi feature is about the same as on the NEX-6, with even more apps available for download.

Why was the EVF reduced to 1.44M dots ?-

There was no EVF on 5R/T. Sure one could add 2.4M EVF or get it in NEX-6, but now you were in $1K territory... expect that feature on a7000.

 EinsteinsGhost's gear list:EinsteinsGhost's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-F828 Sony SLT-A55 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sigma 18-250mm F3.5-6.3 DC OS HSM Sony 135mm F2.8 (T4.5) STF +12 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Donny out of Element here
Contributing MemberPosts: 693Gear list
Like?
Re: It's gonna humiliate X-T1 and OMD E-M1! :)
In reply to SDF, 7 months ago

SDF wrote:

Just watched the video. Wow .06 seconds AF speed is amazing.

krae wrote:

Video preview here: DanKReviews

I like the multiple little green squares showing the active AF points than the one big green box on the a7.

11fps! with AF tracking - that is amazing! It is actually unique camera right now on the market.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
EinsteinsGhost
Forum ProPosts: 10,897Gear list
Like?
Re: With the world’s fastest autofocus system (A6000)
In reply to krae, 7 months ago

krae wrote:

Video preview here: DanKReviews

I like the multiple little green squares showing the active AF points than the one big green box on the a7.

I agree. That itself is a HUGE improvement.

 EinsteinsGhost's gear list:EinsteinsGhost's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-F828 Sony SLT-A55 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sigma 18-250mm F3.5-6.3 DC OS HSM Sony 135mm F2.8 (T4.5) STF +12 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
SDF
SDF
Senior MemberPosts: 2,131Gear list
Like?
Re: Sony a6000 First Impressions Review posted
In reply to captura, 7 months ago

$650 for body. That's cheaper than a month old Olympus OM10 $699 and the Fuji XT1 $1299.

captura wrote:

http://www.dpreview.com/previews/sony-alpha-a6000

Why was the EVF reduced to 1.44M dots ?

-

 SDF's gear list:SDF's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Sony RX1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-L1 Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony Alpha NEX-6 +3 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
blue_skies
Senior MemberPosts: 6,956Gear list
Like?
Re: Sony a6000 First Impressions Review posted
In reply to captura, 7 months ago

captura wrote:

  • OLED electronic viewfinder with 1.44M dots * NEX-6 Viewfinder resolution was 2,359,000 dots!

Why was the EVF reduced to 1.44M dots ?

Cost, and marketing

This is the old EVF from the Alpha SLT cameras it seems.

I guess that this camera is not for MF lenses, but for fast AF lenses

Also, it enables a (big) distinction for a future upmarket (=pricier) A7000 model.

-- hide signature --

Cheers,
Henry

 blue_skies's gear list:blue_skies's gear list
Canon PowerShot S95 Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony Alpha 7 Sony a6000 +30 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
blue_skies
Senior MemberPosts: 6,956Gear list
Like?
Re: With the world’s fastest autofocus system (A6000)
In reply to sean lancaster, 7 months ago

sean lancaster wrote:

So, fastest AF seems to be running rampant through mirrorless camera announcements lately (e.g., see the Fujifilm X-T1). But it's nice to see Sony at least believing they can make the claim about one of their cameras. Hmmmm.

I love it, Sony going out making the claim themselves!

That should shut up at least on or two of the regular posters here

-- hide signature --

Cheers,
Henry

 blue_skies's gear list:blue_skies's gear list
Canon PowerShot S95 Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony Alpha 7 Sony a6000 +30 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads