Fujifilm FinePix Real 3D W1 Leica Digilux 3 Samsung NX300
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Brandon c
Regular MemberPosts: 100
Like?
Re: Channel Markers
In reply to minniev, 10 months ago

minniev wrote:

This is a location I go to whenever there is fog because I suspect there is a grand and mysterious photo to be had here that I can't quite find. Of course every fog is different and the sentinels change at times. Please tell me what I can do to get the photo I suspect may be hiding here. I've tried various lenses. The approach is limited - either from the bridge over the channel or a small jut of land to the right of these channel markers, but it doesn't get you quite level with the water.

I really like the simplicity of this photo, it has a great atmosphere. As for improvements, like the person above me, i feel it could benefit from a little more air/water to the right but really even without that i think it is a great photo

-- hide signature --
Brandon c
Regular MemberPosts: 100
Like?
The blues
In reply to 19andrew47, 10 months ago

Shutter speed: 1/500 Iso: 160 Aperture: f/4

This part of my music of the streets series

-- hide signature --
RoelHendrickx
Forum ProPosts: 22,790
Like?

Extreme minimalism.

I once shot a river estuary with some boats and gulls on buoys in Fowey, Cornwall (UK).  And I thought of myself that that shot was minimalistic, but this takes minimalism to a whole other level.

I like it.  I can see this hanging, printed extremely large, on the wall of a loft appartment in a trendy part of town.  Now please pass me my dry martini but hold the olive (olives are not minimalistic enough).

-- hide signature --

Roel Hendrickx
lots of images: www.roelh.zenfolio.com
my E-3 user field report from Tunisian Sahara: http://www.biofos.com/ukpsg/roel.html

Scott Whittemore
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,186
Like?
Group Reply: Worry
In reply to Scott Whittemore, 10 months ago

Thank you all for looking and commenting.

Andrew: Yes, perhaps a slight rotation and even a slight rectilinear adjustment.

Roel: I did desaturate this in Lightroom. I started with Lightroom's "Sepia" preset and made various tonal adjustments from there.

Lou: I might have already removed the clutter in the lower left-hand corner had I not considered it thematically essential.

Mike: Worry is in the eye of the beholder.

Mr.NoFlash: A high-contrast treatment might be quite effective but it's not typically my approach. I like to use contrast sparingly.

A few words about my own intentions for this image: To me it depicts a figure standing in the light, turned away from the banal practicalities and worries of everyday life, perhaps seeking or longing for something else. Real is, however, real.

-- hide signature --
Scott Whittemore
Like?
Re: The blues
In reply to Brandon c, 10 months ago

Great street scene. I think it would have been better if the musician's feet were in the frame.

-- hide signature --
Scott Whittemore
Like?
Re: Immediate seating - Uncropped
In reply to 19andrew47, 10 months ago

Definitely an improvement, IMO.

-- hide signature --
RoelHendrickx
Like?
Great Lou
In reply to LouHolland, 10 months ago

LouHolland wrote:

50 ways to leave your lover, 50 ways to love your leaf.

That was a great one.

Of course the text is a bit different, it's a songtext from Paul Simon and I couldn't help to create a different and free text version here

But what also strikes me is that the nose is a little red at the bottom, creating a drawing of a ram's horn arises. Not disturbing as it in ancient or mythological sense fits very well into the picture and it's atmosphere, provided by the use of strong and even some delicate colours and composition too. It defenitly looks very attractive to me.

Good catch on the red nose.

Lou

Mr.NoFlash wrote:

-- hide signature --

Roel Hendrickx
my E-3 user field report from Tunisian Sahara: http://www.biofos.com/ukpsg/roel.html

19andrew47
Forum ProPosts: 13,771Gear list
Like?

I would agree with Scott that less on top but the feet on the bottom would be better.  Also I think I might prefer a slightly less contrasty treatment here, but not having tried it perhaps not.  In the same vane I might have tried a rotation to straighten the buildings behind but again not having tried it and seen the effect on he musician I may not like it as well.

Andrew

RoelHendrickx
Like?

Brandon c wrote:

This part of my music of the streets series

It is often a good idea to include sufficient background to provide a subject with context.

In this case, however, I don't really get the proportions of the image.  Instead of so much "meaningless" building above and behind him, I would have preferred to see his feet.

Well, you cannot add feet that are not there, but you could crop away a considerable amount of emptiness above him.  While you are at it (cropping), also remove that sliver of person on the far left : it doesn't add anything, while the three complete background persons do (the woman and the man with child - there is a fourth person there, behind the player, but we see only one foot).

In essence : crop to enhance.  The tilt is fine for me.

-- hide signature --

Roel Hendrickx

dave gaines
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,181Gear list
Like?
Entry Foyer Rotunda - Shadow lifting

LouHolland wrote:

(layed down on the floor?)

Dave, I never realized that you needed some all weather cloths in the Getty House

Lovely shot, I like the illuminated atrium, but according the histogram a bit of shadow lifting would do no harm. makes the colour even a bit more delicate. Very nice.

Lou

dave gaines wrote:

... I layed down on the floor on my back and shot nearly straight up to capture this fisheye image.

Lou,

Thanks for the example image. Andrew said about the same thing. Bringing up the shadow details the way you did looks good. I had to see it to believe it.

Yes, a pair of workman's coveralls would have helped me on Sunday. I often get down low to get a wider, lower perspective. I was shooting with wide angle and the fisheye all day and several times I got down on the floor or patio to shoot.

-- hide signature --

Dave

dave gaines's gear list:dave gaines's gear list
Olympus C-8080 Wide Zoom Olympus E-330 Nikon D800E Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED +7 more
minniev
Senior MemberPosts: 1,548
Like?

Brandon c wrote:

This part of my music of the streets series

-- hide signature --

Since I'm from Mississippi where blues is a part of everything, this photo, from somewhere far away  intrigued me. Gloves and hats on a blues musician are a serious contradiction to those of us in the south USA, though it makes perfect sense to people in cooler zones, lets us know how far this music has traveled. I like the photo, agree with others that having feet on the musician and losing the fellow on the left border would help. I wish the musician had a little less shadow hiding his face. I like having enough context in the signs to tell me where the photo was taken. The real magic, to my view, is the little girl who has stopped to look. She and the musician create the tension and interaction in the shot. The others are rightfully darkened and blurred as they go about the humdrum of their daily trudge. Very enjoyable photo. The tilt doesn't bother me as much as it usually does. Us old people do have a bit of vertigo looking at those sometimes.

dave gaines
Like?
Re: Entry Foyer Rotunda - In the Round
In reply to Mr.NoFlash, 10 months ago

Thanks Mr. Nof Lash,

I had a Nikon on the floor lashing me down. No flash required, but it might have helped to illuminate the undersides of those beams. Just having fun with your forum moniker.

I tried to insert this as a cover photo on my Facebook page last night but it's to square to fit the wide, low profile of that feature. Maybe a screen saver? Maybe a print?

Thanks for looking.

-- hide signature --

Dave

Olympus C-8080 Wide Zoom Olympus E-330 Nikon D800E Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED +7 more
dave gaines
Like?
Re: leaf and woman, flora and fauna
In reply to Mr.NoFlash, 10 months ago

What a lovely nose she has! Lou's eye caught an interesting feature there that I would not have noticed. It's amazing how patient some of our best models can be when we ask them to pose. Here I really like the juxtaposition of flora and fauna. Nice work with the flash too.

-- hide signature --

Dave

MikePDX
Senior MemberPosts: 1,581Gear list
Like?
Just a thought

I like this image, and I don't think it requires cropping.  Having said that, I wonder if a single bird might have better conveyed the feeling of calmness and serenity.  Here is something to consider - not sure it will improve the shot.  Clone out the more distant bird.  Also there are several birds floating on the water.  They are so small as to look like dots or blemishes.  I would suggest removing them as well.

-- hide signature --

-Mike
You can observe a lot by looking - Yogi Berra
http://www.flickr.com/photos/mike-pdx/collections/

MikePDX's gear list:MikePDX's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1
dave gaines
Like?
Morning light, 4 containers wide

Great catch Lou,

I had to click and expand the image to really appreciate how foggy and subtle the light was. This is a unique ship with the big crane on the fore deck. Could be for lifting a research submarine onto the deck? Could be how they get those 4 containers on and off the deck? No shortage of electronic navigation equipment there too. The ship looks like it could go anywhere on the oceans in search of marine life. I can imagine the adventure they must have... Thanks for posting this rare image. I think it could look as good a few minutes later with more light on the ships deck.

-- hide signature --

Dave

dave gaines
Like?
Re Cycling
In reply to Zindanfel, 10 months ago

Hi Don,

Nice catch on the bookcase full of frames. In my mind I see a vendor with many picture frames and a few posters to sell.  I thought it was a sidewalk or garage sale scene. Thanks to your explanation I understand it is within a thrift store. I have a photo of Lance cycling through Pasadena during an exposition race. What are we going to do with all these Lance images now?

Reduce Reuse and Recycle

-- hide signature --

Dave

dave gaines
Like?
Re: Water
In reply to RoelHendrickx, 10 months ago

It's a very telling scene. Justa weeka go a friend showed us his images from a trip to Morroco in December/January. He and his wife travelled with a tour guide to some remote desert locations. He said there is water not far below the surface, but the desert is dry. The images of people sitting in the sand made me think of dirt but he said the sand was very clean, not dusty. Some of the adobe structures were quite unique to the region. I was fascinated with the images and story.

This is such an image, very revealing about the nature of life in the northern african desert. Water everywhere but not a glass of it to drink.

I got a notice for your exhibit but alas, I can not visit northern Europe at that time. Was that a link to view it online?

-- hide signature --

Dave

minniev
Senior MemberPosts: 1,548
Like?

I appreciate all the encouragement and tips I received here. At the risk of being a pest, I am adding two edits for any further feedback you might be willing to give. Everyone may have one of Roel's martinis, too.

dave gaines
Like?

An ethereal view, not revealing the water's surface, except in the reflection. I expanded the view and I think if you cropped to just the 3 markers on the left it becomes more interesting. Perhaps in a vertical frame, tightly cropped. I would try the telephoto again. The details hold promise. The feeling you get when you go here may be hard to convey in a photo.

-- hide signature --

Dave

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads