* Wed C&C No Theme Thread #303 14 02 12 *

Started 10 months ago | Photos
Scott Whittemore
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,186
Like?
Worry
In reply to 19andrew47, 10 months ago

I was away last week and off the grid so I missed last week's thread. I might go back andlook at last week's posts if time permits but here's one for this week. This is from Trinidad, where I was last week, but this shot is not from last week. It's from my previous trip to Trinidad, a couple of years ago. This woman was looking out her kitchen door and casting her shadow on the wall opposite the door.

Worry

-- hide signature --
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Scott Whittemore
Like?
Re: Channel Markers
In reply to minniev, 10 months ago

I like this a lot and I think you could have a much stronger composition by cropping from the right to put the nearest marker about a third of the way in from the right-hand side. I think you would then have a nice series of three markers forming a diagonal curve leading through the image into the distance. I think I'd also crop a bit off the top -- maybe about half the space between the highest marker and the top of the frame.

This is a beautiful, minimalist image with a very calming and serene effect. Fog can be a great photographic device and you've used it well here, IMO.

-- hide signature --
19andrew47
Forum ProPosts: 13,664Gear list
Like?
Re: Re Cycling
In reply to Zindanfel, 10 months ago

To be honest about it, the doping controversy and title stripping I don't really care about at all, although some do but that is a whole other issue.

The image shows the poster displayed with empty frames, and as such being treated as one (it appears to have a frame but maybe not as at this size one can not be certain).  I corrected the vertical distortion to remove the unnecessary clutter from the sides as they didn't add any thing for me.  I also did a small crop to the top and bottom leaving the shelf and a small amount of carpet showing on the bottom to anchor the barrel.  I think it puts more emphasis on the obvious 'non-star' of the image.

Andrew

Zindanfel
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,538
Like?
Re: The corrected version..
In reply to LouHolland, 10 months ago

LouHolland wrote:

Zin, Well seen, but you forgot the lamp post on the right. I have also removed a bit of the blue cast to achive more clarity. Now it looks as cold as it was that morning, minus -3 degrees. Thanks for your comments Zin and here is the corrected version.

Lou

Zindanfel wrote:

The air looks as thick as in a pool hall, and as unmoving as in a tomb.

I'd be tempted to rotate slightly clockwise; the ship seems to list to the left. Off-vertical seems uncharacteristic for a moored vessel.

-- hide signature --

Zin

Lou, I think your rework to "colder" is very effective; the stronger mood now recalls to me having worked in and visited similar places in such early quiet hours.

I didn't mention the intrusion of lamp in the upper right corner because I assumed it was a mere oversight.

-- hide signature --

Zin

RoelHendrickx
Forum ProPosts: 22,777
Like?
Re: The corrected version..
In reply to Zindanfel, 10 months ago

Zindanfel wrote:

LouHolland wrote:

Zin, Well seen, but you forgot the lamp post on the right. I have also removed a bit of the blue cast to achive more clarity. Now it looks as cold as it was that morning, minus -3 degrees. Thanks for your comments Zin and here is the corrected version.

Lou

Zindanfel wrote:

The air looks as thick as in a pool hall, and as unmoving as in a tomb.

I'd be tempted to rotate slightly clockwise; the ship seems to list to the left. Off-vertical seems uncharacteristic for a moored vessel.

-- hide signature --

Zin

Lou, I think your rework to "colder" is very effective; the stronger mood now recalls to me having worked in and visited similar places in such early quiet hours.

I agree.

The first version looked a bit dull and flat.

Much clearer and crisper now: less fog, more cold.

I didn't mention the intrusion of lamp in the upper right corner because I assumed it was a mere oversight.

-- hide signature --

Zin

-- hide signature --

Roel Hendrickx
lots of images: www.roelh.zenfolio.com
my E-3 user field report from Tunisian Sahara: http://www.biofos.com/ukpsg/roel.html

19andrew47
Like?
Re: Underworld...
In reply to stephent, 10 months ago

A very attractive setting.  I like the silhouetted swimmers and the colour in the water is nice.  Also I like the highlights in the rocks.  I don't know that trying to pull up any details in the swimmers would make it better so I don't think I would bother with anything along those lines.  I might clone out the swimmer in the water though as he is mostly blocked by the legs of the one standing on the rocks in front.

Andrew

Zindanfel
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,538
Like?
Re: leaf and woman
In reply to Mr.NoFlash, 10 months ago

Mr.NoFlash wrote:

The facial color/texture of the model brings to mind the lifelike plasticky material of Cabbage Patch dolls.

One does see quite a few still-photo adverts in which female models have a vacant, impersonal countenance. Maybe it's taught in modeling school? While I haven't studied the topic, I don't recall that male models in ads often (ever?) have "the look."

The photo has an antiseptic, unreal aura. Not for the family album, but I'd think quite adaptable for some commercial use.

-- hide signature --

Zin

19andrew47
Like?
Re: Water
In reply to RoelHendrickx, 10 months ago

A very fine image depicting one aspect of what is obviously a harsh way of life.

Andrew

MikePDX
Senior MemberPosts: 1,579Gear list
Like?
Immediate patio seating available

A heavy snow storm, rare in the Pacific Northwest, and a new m.ZD 12-40 lens for my E-M5 got me itching to take a few "test" shots.  So after the worst of the storm cleared, I took a stroll through my back yard.  It is nothing spectacular, but I liked it a bit.

Immediate seating available on our patio!

-- hide signature --

-Mike
You can observe a lot by looking - Yogi Berra
http://www.flickr.com/photos/mike-pdx/collections/

MikePDX's gear list:MikePDX's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1
19andrew47
Like?
Re: In Between Storms
In reply to NewGirlLiz, 10 months ago

Well composed, good colour and an interesting image.  Also interesting that the couple is perfectly insink (the leg postion).  I wouldn't change anything.

Andrew

19andrew47
Like?
Re: Channel Markers
In reply to minniev, 10 months ago

For this image, I would crop from the top and bottom, more so from the top as there is some detail in the water in the lower part, to bring the bottom of the 'middle' post to about the lower one third line making the image more panoramic.  It is a nice atmospheric image and it may in fact be all there is to get which would explain why you haven't yet managed what you are trying for.

Andrew

19andrew47
Like?
Re: Worry
In reply to Scott Whittemore, 10 months ago

A nice image.  I like the treatment and the 'indirect' subject.  Maybe a small rotation?

Hope you had a good trip.  Trinidad sounds very good this morning.  It was -26 C when I took out the garbage at 8:00.

Andrew

19andrew47
Like?
Re: Immediate patio seating available
In reply to MikePDX, 10 months ago

Nice detail visible in both the snow and the wood of the bench.  (A very nice bench by the looks of it as well.)  I might crop a bit from the top of the image.  Do you have image two with your rear end print in the snow?

Hope the new lens works well for you.  I am waiting to see if there is a kit in the Americas that contains the 12 -40.  I remember when I purchased the E3 there was a kit at a very good price that contained the 12 - 60 mm.  I should have bought it but bought just the body and later ended up buying the lens used for much more than I could have gotten it for in the kit.  (about $300 if I recall).

Andrew

Scott Whittemore
Like?

Thanks, Andrew. Yes, I guess as I age the heat and humidity of Trinidad seems more pallatable than the dry frigidity of northern winters. When I lived in New England, the adjustment to Trinidad's climate was more difficult for me than it is now that I'm a partially acclimated Floridian.

-- hide signature --
19andrew47
Like?
Re: Gone for a smoke-
In reply to savonie, 10 months ago

I think this has a good feel to it but could use some 'exposure' and other adjustments to bring out the most from it, along with a small crop to the left side and top. I have posted a version below for your consideration. There are two graduated filters applied, some noise reduction, clarity and other exposure adjustments made. I think other possible adjustments could be made by those using local adjustment tools that likely give superior results.

Andrew

Scott Whittemore
Like?
Re: Immediate patio seating available
In reply to MikePDX, 10 months ago

Nice image. I like the way the bench's warm color contrasts with the cold surroundings. Good job on the exposure. As Andrew suggested, cropping a bit from the top might strengthen the composition, but I'm not sure.

I recently acquired the m.ZD 12-40 too but I haven't yet used it much. I'm looking forward to working on a few images I've taken with it & seeing how well it lives up to all the accolades.

-- hide signature --
dave gaines
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,181Gear list
Like?
Entry Foyer Rotunda - In the Round

Looking up above the main entry foyer of the Getty Center on Sunday around sunset I was struck by the architectural shapes and the indigo pale blue skylight coming in from above. With a backpack full of lenses I layed down on the floor on my back and shot nearly straight up to capture this fisheye image.

Shortly after sunset at the Getty Center

-- hide signature --

Dave

dave gaines's gear list:dave gaines's gear list
Olympus C-8080 Wide Zoom Olympus E-330 Nikon D800E Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED +7 more
RoelHendrickx
Like?
Re: Entry Foyer Rotunda - In the Round
In reply to dave gaines, 10 months ago

dave gaines wrote:

Looking up above the main entry foyer of the Getty Center on Sunday around sunset I was struck by the architectural shapes and the indigo pale blue skylight coming in from above. With a backpack full of lenses I layed down on the floor on my back and shot nearly straight up to capture this fisheye image.

Shortly after sunset at the Getty Center

-- hide signature --

Dave

The Getty Center is a photographer's dream.

For shots like this, I have been known to lay my camera flat on the ground, with the articulating LCD turned towards the front (alas, only available on FT models, not yet on any mFT model unless I am mistaken), and shoot with the 2 sec timer.

It's been ages since I last posted an echo image to someone's image (I used to do that quite often back in the days), so I think I'll just go ahead and do it once more:

Same place, earlier in the day, also fisheye

-- hide signature --

Roel Hendrickx
my E-3 user field report from Tunisian Sahara: http://www.biofos.com/ukpsg/roel.html

19andrew47
Like?
Re: Entry Foyer Rotunda - In the Round
In reply to dave gaines, 10 months ago

While I am generally not a fan of fisheye images, there are times when the distortion is not off putting for me, and this is one.  A nice view and well framed with that lens.  It might benefit from some brightening or contrast, without playing with it, a little hard to be sure but it seems like it could use a little lift.

I envy the results you can get with your new system but not the lugging of it.

Andrew

RoelHendrickx
Like?
In reply to Scott Whittemore, 10 months ago

Scott Whittemore wrote:

I was away last week and off the grid so I missed last week's thread. I might go back andlook at last week's posts if time permits but here's one for this week. This is from Trinidad, where I was last week, but this shot is not from last week. It's from my previous trip to Trinidad, a couple of years ago. This woman was looking out her kitchen door and casting her shadow on the wall opposite the door.

Worry

-- hide signature --

I like how a colour image can be B&W. (Or is this a toned B&W and done in a very subtle way : the bouquet has me in doubt.) Whether the scene was like this or you chose the colour treatment : it is excellent.  Soft and with emphasis on form and shape.

You have a silhouette here that is as clear and crisp as a portrait and maybe even better looking.

Enhancing the portrait are a few tidbits of every day life that (we would like to think) tell us more about the person: household utensils and a modern kitchen appliance (I believe we have the same microwave but I should check), but also room for just a bit of frivolity in the form of that bouquet.

Very pleasant to look at.

-- hide signature --

Roel Hendrickx

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads