* Wed C&C No Theme Thread #303 14 02 12 *

Started 8 months ago | Photos
19andrew47
Forum ProPosts: 12,754Gear list
Like?
* Wed C&C No Theme Thread #303 14 02 12 *
8 months ago

Welcome to the Wednesday Comments and Critique (No Theme) thread!

We are continuing the great tradition of this C&C thread because we are convinced that looking at and talking about images is vital for better photography.

The idea is simple: you post an image and get critique on it, and in return give other people your opinion of their images, or vice versa.

Generally, you should post only one single image for C&C. As an exception, you may post two pictures resulting from one shutter release but with different treatment (for example a color and a black & white version, or a different crop) for us to choose from and comment on.

TWO RULES:

1.If you post an image, you should critique at least one other image.

2.Keep your comments honest but polite. If you don’t care for an image try to explain why. This is neither a “Good shot!” nor an image-bashing thread.

Any style, any camera. It is a peer-to-peer photography workshop!

Feedback is guaranteed (for up to 48 h after the thread has started)! Though keep in mind that the thread tends to be busiest during the first 24 hours or so, so later image posts may get little feedback.

HOW TO PLAY:

1.Turn on "Threaded view" and reply to this post with a web-sized image. Change the title so we can sort different images out easily!

2.Get back to this thread in a minute, an hour or a day or so, and…

3.…still in threaded view, look at one or more pictures of your choice, click reply and critique it.

4.Remember to add the EXIF if your image doesn't embed it as this may help

5.Image posters: please consider telling us what your own opinion on your image is. What prompted you to click that shutter button? What did you see? Why do you like the result? You don't have to explain, but it might be interesting.

6.You are very welcome to post a group reply to the feedback you have received. This could include a new version of your image modified in response to the comments.

IF THIS IS YOUR FIRST TIME, WELCOME! AND BE SURE TO READ THIS:

•The critique you give (point 3 from the above list) is vital. What was your first impression? What catches your eye about an image? Why? What do you like, and what distracts you? What would you change?

•Fiddle with the image in your head - composition, perspective, color balance, exposure.

• It is understood that unless the original poster specifically states that they do not want an altered image posted that you are free to alter the posted image and repost it in a reply for C&C purposes. That reposted image may remain permanently or you may remove it after a short period of time if you prefer.

•More general feedback is also welcome. Do you know something about taking the same sort of image that would make matters easier - share your own as an example in your reply. Encourage - it is a scary business putting your work up for other people to judge!

•Finally what is the verdict? Waste-bin? Snapshot? Could be better? Family Album? Frame on wall? Poster-size frame on wall? Billboard? Reuters? World Press Photo? National Geographic? Museum? (pick your own superlative here)

One of the first replies is “The Related Post”. This is the place to post your general musings about the C&C Thread.

Another of the first replies includes a link to all previous threads. This is called "Archives".

Andrew (19andrew47)

19andrew47
Like?
* The Related Post *
In reply to 19andrew47, 8 months ago

Welcome to the Wednesday Comments and Critique (No Theme) thread!

We are continuing the great tradition of this C&C thread because we are convinced that looking at and talking about images is vital for better photography.

The idea is simple: you post an image and get critique on it, and in return give other people your opinion of their images, or vice versa.

Generally, you should post only one single image for C&C. As an exception, you may post two pictures resulting from one shutter release but with different treatment (for example a color and a black & white version, or a different crop) for us to choose from and comment on.

TWO RULES:

1.If you post an image, you should critique at least one other image.

2.Keep your comments honest but polite. If you don’t care for an image try to explain why. This is neither a “Good shot!” nor an image-bashing thread.

Any style, any camera. It is a peer-to-peer photography workshop!

Feedback is guaranteed (for up to 48 h after the thread has started)! Though keep in mind that the thread tends to be busiest during the first 24 hours or so, so later image posts may get little feedback.

HOW TO PLAY:

1.Turn on "Threaded view" and reply to this post with a web-sized image. Change the title so we can sort different images out easily!

2.Get back to this thread in a minute, an hour or a day or so, and…

3.…still in threaded view, look at one or more pictures of your choice, click reply and critique it.

4.Remember to add the EXIF if your image doesn't embed it as this may help

5.Image posters: please consider telling us what your own opinion on your image is. What prompted you to click that shutter button? What did you see? Why do you like the result? You don't have to explain, but it might be interesting.

6.You are very welcome to post a group reply to the feedback you have received. This could include a new version of your image modified in response to the comments.

IF THIS IS YOUR FIRST TIME, WELCOME! AND BE SURE TO READ THIS:

•The critique you give (point 3 from the above list) is vital. What was your first impression? What catches your eye about an image? Why? What do you like, and what distracts you? What would you change?

•Fiddle with the image in your head - composition, perspective, color balance, exposure.

• It is understood that unless the original poster specifically states that they do not want an altered image posted that you are free to alter the posted image and repost it in a reply for C&C purposes. That reposted image may remain permanently or you may remove it after a short period of time if you prefer.

•More general feedback is also welcome. Do you know something about taking the same sort of image that would make matters easier - share your own as an example in your reply. Encourage - it is a scary business putting your work up for other people to judge!

•Finally what is the verdict? Waste-bin? Snapshot? Could be better? Family Album? Frame on wall? Poster-size frame on wall? Billboard? Reuters? World Press Photo? National Geographic? Museum? (pick your own superlative here)

One of the first replies is “The Related Post”. This is the place to post your general musings about the C&C Thread.

Another of the first replies includes a link to all previous threads. This is called "Archives".

Andrew (19andrew47)

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
19andrew47
Like?
* Archives *

Here is the list of all previous editions of our weekly exercise in ruthless peer-to-peer coaching for better photography; a refuge from gear discussions.

All Threads from 2014

Week 302 14 02 05 http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/53049187

Week 301 14 01 29 http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/53004183

Week 300 14 01 22 http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/52955902

Week 299 14 01 15 http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/52911432

Week 298 14 01 08 http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/52861838

Week 297 14 01 01 http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/52814240

All Previous Threads

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/52814278

19andrew47
Like?
CN Tower, Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Pushing the limits of the camera lens combination and the operator: full telephoto, wide open 12 - 50 mm (not its best performance range) at ISO 3200 and 1/6 s handheld.

Andrew

Mr.NoFlash
Senior MemberPosts: 2,175Gear list
Like?
leaf and woman

Mr.NoFlash's gear list:Mr.NoFlash's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix Real 3D W1 Leica Digilux 3 Samsung NX300
LouHolland
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,251
Like?
Morning light

Morning light at the Harbour. Research/survey vessel EDT Protea. E3, 14-54mm

Thanks for looking/Comments

Lou

best seen enlarged

savonie
Regular MemberPosts: 443Gear list
Like?
Re: CN Tower, Toronto, Ontario, Canada

That is a nice rendition of the CN Tower- It is hard to take a 'different' picture but I think you did quite well-

Monty

savonie's gear list:savonie's gear list
Olympus E-1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus Zuiko Digital 14-54mm 1:2.8-3.5 II Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 14-150mm 1:4-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 II R +2 more
savonie
Regular MemberPosts: 443Gear list
Like?
Gone for a smoke-

This is taken at my local with my E-PL5 - This about the third pic I took with it- I like the camera and it compliments my E-M5 quite nicely-

Monty

Smoke break-

savonie's gear list:savonie's gear list
Olympus E-1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus Zuiko Digital 14-54mm 1:2.8-3.5 II Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 14-150mm 1:4-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 II R +2 more
Zindanfel
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,439
Like?
Re Cycling

Better viewing quality in Expanded and Original modes.

-- hide signature --

Zin

Zindanfel
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,439
Like?
Re: Morning light
In reply to LouHolland, 8 months ago

The air looks as thick as in a pool hall, and as unmoving as in a tomb.

I'd be tempted to rotate slightly clockwise; the ship seems to list to the left.  Off-vertical seems uncharacteristic for a moored vessel.

-- hide signature --

Zin

stephent
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,434
Like?
Re: CN Tower, Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Hi mate it works for me, I like the contrasting colours and the framing.

Regards.

Stephen.

stephent
Like?
Re: leaf and woman
In reply to Mr.NoFlash, 8 months ago

Hi mate, Eve perhaps? not sure about the direct flash.

Regards.

Stephen.

stephent
Like?
Re: Morning light
In reply to LouHolland, 8 months ago

Hi mate, when I had a quick look at work today I thought this was a reflection, but that does not seem to be the case. Shot through a window? the light seems blue, different in a good way.

Regards.

Stephen.

stephent
Like?
Re: Gone for a smoke-
In reply to savonie, 8 months ago

Hi mate you should have a lot of fun with your new camera, this one could perhaps be cropped a little closer to the glass.

Regards.

Stephen.

stephent
Like?
Re: Re Cycling
In reply to Zindanfel, 8 months ago

Hi mate how the mighty have fallen, if that was a trash can on the ground it would be perfect.

An employee over here placed Mr Armstrong's books in the fiction section of their book store, some did not find it funny.

Regards.

Stephen.

stephent
Like?
Underworld...

Hi everyone this weeks entry.

Regards.

Stephen.

P.S Best viewed at full size.

RoelHendrickx
Forum ProPosts: 22,561
Like?
Water

Selection of images has been made for my exhibition on the cooperation between Antwerp and the Oriental Region in Morocco.  The final stages of preparation (layout of the exhibition, having the big prints made, brochure, promo, ...) are in full swing.

This gives me the opportunity and liberty to start showing some outtakes of the few hundred usable images I collected on a 6 day tour through a beautiful but desolate and challenged landscape, in October of last year.

Here is one.

ZD14-54 on E-3

Some context: this image shows the big water tank just outside the sook of Afsou, a small rural community in the mountains between Nador and Guercif.  The government fills the tank and water can be taken free of charge by the locals, who come there at the smaller fountain with donkeys laden with jerrycans and anything that can hold water.

Small houses and settlements that are too far from this reservoir, mostly have their own water supply in a private underground tank, from which they draw their daily needs, much like decades or even centuries ago (I have images of that situation too, near a house where I received an hospitable bed for the night, but that is for another time).

Alternatively, people who live to far for donkey-transport to be practical, can choose to have the big water truck come by and deliver water, paying only the transport fee for the delivery.  That's the big water truck being filled you see in the background.

-- hide signature --

Roel Hendrickx
lots of images: www.roelh.zenfolio.com
my E-3 user field report from Tunisian Sahara: http://www.biofos.com/ukpsg/roel.html

RoelHendrickx
Like?
Re: leaf and woman
In reply to Mr.NoFlash, 8 months ago

Mr.NoFlash wrote:

Good bold colours.

But I am not sure about the expression: it's not really smiling and not really neutral or relaxed.

A bit like the startled look of a deer caught in headlights, and this is accentuated by the fact that you have the reflection of the flash right in the middle of the pupil.  That looks strange.  Having a catchlight in an eye is a wonderful thing for portraits : it makes the eyes come alive.  But the catchlight should prefereably be in the iris or over iris and white, not in the pupil (at least not completely.

Off-camera flash is great to achieve this.

Even with only on-camera flash, you can still direct it sideways and have it reflect back off a reflector (or even a large white board).

-- hide signature --

Roel Hendrickx
my E-3 user field report from Tunisian Sahara: http://www.biofos.com/ukpsg/roel.html

RoelHendrickx
Like?
Don,
In reply to Zindanfel, 8 months ago

Zindanfel wrote:

Better viewing quality in Expanded and Original modes.

-- hide signature --

Zin

Expanding expands, but view oriiginal results in "404 Page not found".

A good shot with a lot between the lines: Lance Armstrong is exiled to the lower reaches of the shop display, right next to a bin that reads "posters", but could just as well read "posers".

We are seeing multiple personalities here, and I believe that such is actually a pretty accurate representation of the man, but there are a few too many on a bike and a few missing that were probably more "in the shadows".

-- hide signature --

Roel Hendrickx

RoelHendrickx
Like?
Re: Underworld...
In reply to stephent, 8 months ago

stephent wrote:

Hi everyone this weeks entry.

Regards.

Stephen.

P.S Best viewed at full size.

A really  gorgeous view, for which the only thing I wonder about, is the question whether or not it was possible to take two steps to the right (or extend arm to the right for shooting).  that would have made the higher figure even better pronounced against the background of rushing water, like the person on the left of him (although the light around his silhouette does also make him stand out against that rock).

The overwhelming sensation here is "wish I was there".

-- hide signature --

Roel Hendrickx

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads