Olympus faux-technical sounding names

Started 7 months ago | Discussions
Henry Richardson
Forum ProPosts: 12,805
Like?
Olympus faux-technical sounding names
7 months ago

I wonder if I am the only one who finds the Olympus faux-technical sounding names hard to remember? All those hyphens and hard to remember exactly where they go. Why have hyphens at all? Wouldn't OMD EM5 work just as well?

OM-D E-M5
OM-D E-M1
OM-D E-M10
PEN E-P5
PEN E-PL5
PEN E-PL6
PEN E-PM2

Maybe go the Apple route and name the products without all the hyphens and strange coded letters. For example, Olympus could name their cameras after deadly epidemics:

Bubonic Plague = E-M5
Ebola = E-M1
Smallpox = E-M10
Dengue Fever = E-P5
etc.

I think I like that.

Panasonic isn't much better.

Henry Richardson
http://www.bakubo.com

Olympus E-M1 Olympus OM-D E-M10 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus PEN E-P5 Olympus PEN E-PL5 Olympus PEN E-PM2
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Guy Parsons
Forum ProPosts: 18,806Gear list
Like?
Re: Olympus faux-technical sounding names
In reply to Henry Richardson, 7 months ago

Henry Richardson wrote:

I wonder if I am the only one who finds the Olympus faux-technical sounding names hard to remember? All those hyphens and hard to remember exactly where they go. Why have hyphens at all? Wouldn't OMD EM5 work just as well?

OM-D E-M5
OM-D E-M1
OM-D E-M10
PEN E-P5
PEN E-PL5
PEN E-PL6
PEN E-PM2

Maybe go the Apple route and name the products without all the hyphens and strange coded letters. For example, Olympus could name their cameras after deadly epidemics:

Bubonic Plague = E-M5
Ebola = E-M1
Smallpox = E-M10
Dengue Fever = E-P5
etc.

I think I like that.

Henry Richardson

Why does everyone try to make this more complicated than it really is?

OM-D is a product line for those who like viewfinders, Pen is a product line where that feature is optional. The hyphen in OM-D is there to show it harks back to the famous OM film cameras but this time 'round it's Digital.

The "E-" is the line of cameras within the early Olympus system of naming. Originally there were "C-" and D-" cameras as well, and the "E-" were the system cameras, but over time marketing triumphed and the old C- and D- morphed into something else but the E- carried on to this day. Look down the bottom of the page at http://www.dpreview.com/products/olympus/cameras?subcategoryId=cameras to see the old naming.

So in Olympus forums the names E-M10, E-M5, E-PM2, E-PL5 etc etc all make perfect sense, no need for the product line prefix. In fact if we all got lazy then M10, M5, PM2, PL5 also make perfect sense here but would upset some predantic purist.

So relax and don't get your knickers in a knot about camera names, it's all so easy when you think about it.

Regards.... Guy

Guy Parsons's gear list:Guy Parsons's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PL5 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-150mm F4-5.6 ASPH Mega OIS Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX3 Casio Exilim EX-ZR1000 +16 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
zuikowesty
Senior MemberPosts: 1,144Gear list
Like?

Henry Richardson wrote:

OM-D E-M5
OM-D E-M1
OM-D E-M10
PEN E-P5
PEN E-PL5
PEN E-PL6
PEN E-PM2

Bubonic Plague = E-M5
Ebola = E-M1
Smallpox = E-M10
Dengue Fever = E-P5
etc.

I think I like that.

Henry Richardson

I agree, and I think we're well past the point of needing an "E" prefix, since PEN and OM-D already differentiate the product lines. OMD-5, OMD-1 and OMD-10 make sense to me, but it doesn't really bother me, we just call them what we want anyway...

-- hide signature --
 zuikowesty's gear list:zuikowesty's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus Stylus Tough-3000 Olympus Stylus 5010 Olympus E-410 Olympus PEN E-PM2 +10 more
Henry Richardson
Forum ProPosts: 12,805
Like?
Leishmaniasis and Trypanosomiasis trip off the tongue

Henry Richardson wrote:

Bubonic Plague = E-M5
Ebola = E-M1
Smallpox = E-M10
Dengue Fever = E-P5
etc.

I think I like that.

Leishmaniasis and Trypanosomiasis trip off the tongue and would stand out among the crowd.  Might need to make bigger bodies though to have enough space for the name plate.

-- hide signature --

Henry Richardson

ApertureAcolyte
Contributing MemberPosts: 875Gear list
Like?

Henry Richardson wrote:

I wonder if I am the only one who finds the Olympus faux-technical sounding names hard to remember?

They should rationalise the naming eg.,

OMD Pro

OMD

OMD Lite

Pen Pro

Pen

Pen Mini

ApertureAcolyte's gear list:ApertureAcolyte's gear list
Canon EOS 600D Olympus OM-D E-M5 Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12mm 1:2 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75mm 1:1.8 +1 more
Jim Salvas
Senior MemberPosts: 2,827Gear list
Like?

It's all so simple.

O = Olympus

M = Maitani (designer of the original OM-1)

D = Digital (in case you thought they all of a sudden started making analog cameras again)

E = Electronic (because maybe you thought it was mechanical)

M = Mirrorless

1 = The best (until a better one comes along)

-- hide signature --

Jim Salvas

Jim Salvas's gear list:Jim Salvas's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PM2 Olympus E-M1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 II R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R Samyang 7.5mm F3.5 UMC Fisheye MFT +7 more
Sean Nelson
Forum ProPosts: 10,277
Like?
In reply to Jim Salvas, 7 months ago

Jim Salvas wrote:

It's all so simple.

O = Olympus

D = Digital (in case you thought they all of a sudden started making analog cameras again)

M = Mirrorless

-- hide signature --

Jim Salvas

Compared to "GH4" it's actually way overkill, IMHO...

Lab D
Senior MemberPosts: 3,996Gear list
Like?
I voted for "Honey Badger" a while back...
 Lab D's gear list:Lab D's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ1000 Nikon D600 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4
Aethon
Regular MemberPosts: 309
Like?
In reply to Guy Parsons, 7 months ago

Guy Parsons wrote:

OM-D is a product line for those who like viewfinders, Pen is a product line where that feature is optional. The hyphen in OM-D is there to show it harks back to the famous OM film cameras but this time 'round it's Digital.

The "E-" is the line of cameras within the early Olympus system of naming. Originally there were "C-" and D-" cameras as well, and the "E-" were the system cameras, but over time marketing triumphed and the old C- and D- morphed into something else but the E- carried on to this day. Look down the bottom of the page at http://www.dpreview.com/products/olympus/cameras?subcategoryId=cameras to see the old naming.

So in Olympus forums the names E-M10, E-M5, E-PM2, E-PL5 etc etc all make perfect sense, no need for the product line prefix. In fact if we all got lazy then M10, M5, PM2, PL5 also make perfect sense here but would upset some predantic purist.

So relax and don't get your knickers in a knot about camera names, it's all so easy when you think about it.

Regards.... Guy

Two problems. One: the main point of differentiation that you offer is not exactly dispository. OM-D has a viewfinder whereas PEN...may or may not, it depends... That's as clear as mud.

Second, nowhere does anyone explain what all the letters mean. I bought into Olympus m43 two years ago and your differentiation between OM-D and PEN lines is the first I have heard of it - I've never  understood the difference.

It's exponentially worse for people familiarizing themselves with the brand for the first time. I have a friend currently trying to understand the naming schemes for Nikon and Canon cameras. He's wondering why both companies insist on using only the digits 5, 6, 0 and D to name their mid-range cameras - and he's right of course. It's idiotic.

There are a million ways to name products. The way that camera companies do it is genuinely stupid.

ApertureAcolyte
Like?
In reply to Sean Nelson, 7 months ago

Sean Nelson wrote:

Jim Salvas wrote:

It's all so simple.

O = Olympus

M = Mirrorless

-- hide signature --

Jim Salvas

Real world impact?

Canon EOS 600D Olympus OM-D E-M5 Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12mm 1:2 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75mm 1:1.8 +1 more
Jim Salvas
Like?
Re: I voted for "Honey Badger" a while back...
In reply to Lab D, 7 months ago

Yeah, I started that other thread as a joke and took some heat because of it. Some people can't take a joke; some people can't recognize a joke.

-- hide signature --

Jim Salvas

Olympus PEN E-PM2 Olympus E-M1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 II R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R Samyang 7.5mm F3.5 UMC Fisheye MFT +7 more
ApertureAcolyte
Like?

Jim Salvas wrote:

Yeah, I started that other thread as a joke and took some heat because of it. Some people can't take a joke; some people can't recognize a joke.

-- hide signature --

Jim Salvas

Helps if you are actually funny

Nippero
Contributing MemberPosts: 663Gear list
Like?

Guy Parsons wrote:

Henry Richardson wrote:

OM-D E-M5
OM-D E-M1
OM-D E-M10
PEN E-P5
PEN E-PL5
PEN E-PL6
PEN E-PM2

Bubonic Plague = E-M5
Ebola = E-M1
Smallpox = E-M10
Dengue Fever = E-P5
etc.

I think I like that.

Henry Richardson

The "E-" is the line of cameras within the early Olympus system of naming. Originally there were "C-" and D-" cameras as well, and the "E-" were the system cameras, but over time marketing triumphed and the old C- and D- morphed into something else but the E- carried on to this day. Look down the bottom of the page at http://www.dpreview.com/products/olympus/cameras?subcategoryId=cameras to see the old naming.

Regards.... Guy

I've bolded basically exactly why I think these names are so odd for myself and others.

I had no idea where the "OM-D" name came from when the EM5 was released. I probably wasn't born when people were running around with OMs and Pens.

Why do we need E-PL and E-PM if "PEN" is already part of the full name? Or does that P stand for something else...? Olympus PEN Electronic-PEN1?

EDIT: So if M means mirrorless, are the E-PL, E-PM, E-P lines not mirrorless? If D means Digital, why do we need Electronic? So what happens when a OM-D (or a PEN?) comes out with emphasis on electronic shutters? Is it an OM-D E-EM?

I'm sure for people familiar with Olympus it all makes sense, but I stick to Panasonic and have no clue about Olympus's history, so I tend to forget where the hypens go and etc.

But...

All other camera manufacturers tend to stick to one designation for their entire line. Sony had alpha for DSLRs, NEX for MILCs, now its all alpha.

Panasonic starts all their m43s with "G" and it all began with the "G1" Simple enough, although its starting to be confusing since its G, GF, GX, GH, GM. But hey, at least there arent any weird hypens in there unless you want the whole model name, then just add "DMC-" to everything.

Canon has EOS. Nikon has D___. It also helps that these two companies kept their numbering scheme the same, single digits = flagships, more digits = lower end. Not sure how that makes sense, but its easy to remember since they both do it that way, and Olympus used to do it that way as well (E-420, E-520, E-5).

Nippero's gear list:Nippero's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Sigma 50mm F1.4 EX DG HSM Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX3 +2 more
Jim Salvas
Like?
In reply to ApertureAcolyte, 7 months ago

ApertureAcolyte wrote:

Jim Salvas wrote:

-- hide signature --

Jim Salvas

Helps if you are actually funny

I know this is a mirrorless forum, but I can recognize my reflection. 

-- hide signature --

Jim Salvas

Guy Parsons
Forum ProPosts: 18,806Gear list
Like?
In reply to Aethon, 7 months ago

Aethon wrote:

Two problems. One: the main point of differentiation that you offer is not exactly dispository. OM-D has a viewfinder whereas PEN...may or may not, it depends... That's as clear as mud.

Well, let us make it simpler. The OM-D line is for those who like their cameras to look like DSLRs, the Pen line is for those who like their cameras to look like rangefinder style bodies.

Some of us must use viewfinders, others don't like viewfinders and can happily live without them (= me).

Second, nowhere does anyone explain what all the letters mean. I bought into Olympus m43 two years ago and your differentiation between OM-D and PEN lines is the first I have heard of it - I've never understood the difference.

Pen because they played the history/nostalgia thing to "revive" the idea of the original Pen film cameras, though they were half frame and this now is quarter frame. Then of course the OM-D from the OM film cameras, it's all about bald old geezers making major decisions.

The Pen line is logical in that E-PMx means Mini and E-PLx means Lite and the prestige/costly Pen is just the E-Px model.

The OM-D line is really screwed up and may eventually go back to the way they had the film cameras where single digit was top of the line, double digit was mid and more digits for lesser models.They even sold an Olympus OM2000 which was made for Olympus by Cosina, just as the Nikon FE-10 was made by Cosina and looked much the same. More on numbers of those old OM cameras here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Olympus_OM_system

In my mind the E-M5 should have been called the E-M10, E-M1 is OK and the current E-M10 should be say E-M100, but the company was in desperate straights at that time (two years ago) with rumbles & angst due to the huge financial scandal and they had to hit the streets running with something that sounded and looked good. In my opinion the E-M5 came out a bit earlier than it should have but it sure was a lot better than previous cameras. The hero product that saved their bacon and reassured the shareholders.

Official history reading here http://www.olympus-global.com/en/corc/history/

It's exponentially worse for people familiarizing themselves with the brand for the first time. I have a friend currently trying to understand the naming schemes for Nikon and Canon cameras. He's wondering why both companies insist on using only the digits 5, 6, 0 and D to name their mid-range cameras - and he's right of course. It's idiotic.

Idiotic equates to Marketing generally, engineering would have had some sensible project name for each camera.

There are a million ways to name products. The way that camera companies do it is genuinely stupid.

Agreed, but they try to make out they are all different, but they are all much the same with some minor differences. Just about any camera now is good.

Regards...... Guy

Guy Parsons's gear list:Guy Parsons's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PL5 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-150mm F4-5.6 ASPH Mega OIS Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX3 Casio Exilim EX-ZR1000 +16 more
Dheorl
Senior MemberPosts: 2,372Gear list
Like?

Guy Parsons wrote:

Dropping the E would get confusing for me. I see M10 and automatically think of the new Leica (yes, I know technically it's just the M, or the M 240 but that won't stop people calling it the M10), and with the panasonic GM1 out calling the EM1 just the M1 will be even more confusing on these forums. Personally I just don't bother with the hyphens.

thomasw333
Regular MemberPosts: 447Gear list
Like?

ApertureAcolyte wrote:

Henry Richardson wrote:

I wonder if I am the only one who finds the Olympus faux-technical sounding names hard to remember?

They should rationalise the naming eg.,

OMD Pro

OMD

OMD Lite

Pen Pro

Pen

Pen Mini

While I have no trouble keeping the camera names in my head, I like the idea you have. I want to see the names changed like you have it here. But, get rid of the Pen Mini, with 3 OMD cameras and they selling so well, the Pen line just needs to cameras.

-- hide signature --

Lets promote calm rational arguments.

thomasw333's gear list:thomasw333's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PM2 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 II R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 17mm 1:1.8
Lab D
Senior MemberPosts: 3,996Gear list
Like?
Jim, I liked that thread....

I try to have a sense of humor.

Lab D's gear list:Lab D's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ1000 Nikon D600 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4
n3eg
Contributing MemberPosts: 594Gear list
Like?

Henry Richardson wrote:

Bubonic Plague = E-M5
Ebola = E-M1
Smallpox = E-M10
Dengue Fever = E-P5

Henry Richardson

You didn't name the E-PL5.

I call mine the "Not-A-DSLR."

-- hide signature --

It ain't easy being me, but someone's gotta do it.

n3eg's gear list:n3eg's gear list
Kodak EasyShare Z990 Olympus PEN E-PL5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 II R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R Olympus M.Zuiko ED 75-300mm 1:4.8-6.7 II +20 more
Impulses
Contributing MemberPosts: 853Gear list
Like?

Sean Nelson wrote:

Jim Salvas wrote:

It's all so simple.

O = Olympus

M = Mirrorless

-- hide signature --

Jim Salvas

Real world impact?

That's the crux of the matter isn't it? I agree the naming scheme isn't hard to figure out once you've done a little bit of research, that's exactly the problem tho, most consumers are gonna do next to no research and they couldn't care less about OM this or Pen that... This kinda branding just makes it even harder to market their products; granted, it's probably not even amongst the top five reasons why Canikon have far more mindshare, but every little bit helps.

Not all cars have quirky names like Rabbit or Pathfinder, but the ones called WRX or 328i aren't changing their numbering/lettering every year either... If you ask me, the only reason to go with more obscure branding is when you're trying to hide something. Intel went to obscure numbering when the GHz race was over, video card companies have always been there because they rebrand old products like crazy.

The camera industry seems to straddle this line between common consumer good (car, phone, etc) and specialized enthusiast/pro tool... It's not doing itself any favors IMO.

Sometimes a name is just a name tho... Except, apparently, if it has the number 4 and you're Japanese. Speaking of which, whatever happened to all the bad juju that would befall them if they used 4? Both of the main Pen lines and the G/GF lines purposely skipped the 4 yet all of a sudden we have a GH4? Now THAT's confusing!

Impulses's gear list:Impulses's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LF1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 +20 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads