Does the D800 rocognize snow?

Started 6 months ago | Discussions
hzmeyer
Contributing MemberPosts: 938Gear list
Like?
Does the D800 rocognize snow?
6 months ago

I just took a few outdoor snow scenes with my D800 to see how it handled the mostly white landscape. Some were exposed using the Sunny 16 rule in Manual. Some were exposed using the in-camera meter and some were exposed using the reading from my Sekonic incident light meter. All were surprisingly similar exposures. I also took one with +1.7 exposure compensation which I usually have used for snow scenes. This was the only one that appeared lighter on the camera monitor. It appears that the D800 must recognize the abundance of snow and apply an adjustment to the exposure.

How many of you have taken snow scenes and not had to crank up the exposure compensation?

Nikon D800
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
coronawithlime
Senior MemberPosts: 1,973Gear list
Like?
Re: Does the D800 rocognize snow?
In reply to hzmeyer, 6 months ago

Mine seemed to meter appropriately last month.  Surprised me

-- hide signature --

http://www.nightstreets.com
-
"Sick cultures show a complex of symptoms such as you have named...but a dying culture invariable exhibits personal rudeness. Bad manners. Lack of consideration for others in minor matters. A loss of politeness, of gentle manners is more significant than a riot."
This symptom is especially serious in that an individual displaying it never thinks of it as a sign of ill health but as proof of his/her strength. ...Friday, it is too late to save this culture--this worldwide culture... Therefore we must now prepare the monasteries for the coming Dark Age. Electronic records are too fragile..."
--Robert A. Heinlein in "Friday"

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
soloryb
Senior MemberPosts: 1,121Gear list
Like?

hzmeyer wrote:

I just took a few outdoor snow scenes with my D800 to see how it handled the mostly white landscape. Some were exposed using the Sunny 16 rule in Manual. Some were exposed using the in-camera meter and some were exposed using the reading from my Sekonic incident light meter. All were surprisingly similar exposures. I also took one with +1.7 exposure compensation which I usually have used for snow scenes. This was the only one that appeared lighter on the camera monitor. It appears that the D800 must recognize the abundance of snow and apply an adjustment to the exposure.

How many of you have taken snow scenes and not had to crank up the exposure compensation?

I always add +exposure compensation, the brighter and whiter - the more. This becomes progressively more important if the ISO is raised, since you then lose dynamic range.

soloryb

soloryb's gear list:soloryb's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Nikon D800E Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF Fisheye-Nikkor 16mm f/2.8D +9 more
Hokkaido Jan
Regular MemberPosts: 204Gear list
Like?
In reply to soloryb, 6 months ago

Yup, being in Hokkaido we have meters deep snow, and it's in almost every photo I have taken in last month. Not once have I had to do the "expose for snow". Metering has nailed it every time!

Hokkaido Jan's gear list:Hokkaido Jan's gear list
Sony SLT-A77 Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/4D ED-IF Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +17 more
Jules Design
Forum MemberPosts: 57
Like?

Forget the sunny 16 rule, that is just a rough guideline.

If you need to meter the snow outside, look for something gray as a reference point. Mason work, a tree, a Gray card, your hand (add 1 stop if you are Caucasian)

The D800 camera has an awesome dynamic range. You will just need to know and learn how to meter the light more effectively. I suggest that you read up on this matter and great detail.

I would propose the following two assignments for you; photo a black scarecrow in a coal mine, or a white bunny in a snowstorm.

frank-in-toronto
Contributing MemberPosts: 980
Like?
In reply to Jules Design, 6 months ago

i just shoot and adjust later (i have the d600).  sure, some are underexposed, but i'm more worried about protecting the highlights.  and it only takes a second to adjust exposure in pp. at the same time i make minor adjustments to the wb (especially in the shadows).

each to his own...f

PerL
Forum ProPosts: 12,524
Like?
Yes, Nikons matrix metering does

hzmeyer wrote:

I have shot a lot of snow scenes and the matrix meter seems to recognize snow. You might have to dial in some compensation, but surprisingly little.

For instance, compare this. First image Nikon with +0.3 compensation, second image Panasonic G2H with +1.3 compensation.

W A Stewart
Contributing MemberPosts: 977Gear list
Like?
Re: Yes - I don't know if it's snow as such, but...
In reply to PerL, 6 months ago

Hello Nikon users - I've just joined after a long hiatus. I used Nikons starting with an S3 (a pro rangefinder) up through the F3, and really liked them. Just did a stretch today with my new (well, reconditioned) D800E, all on snow in bright hazy conditions. It seemed to me that I needed to ratchet up the exposure by 0.7, which isn't a lot. In any event I really look forward to using it.

-- hide signature --

W Alex Stewart

W A Stewart's gear list:W A Stewart's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Nikon D800E Olympus E-M1 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 17-35mm f/2.8D ED-IF Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 +7 more
SensorGuy
Junior MemberPosts: 35
Like?
In reply to Hokkaido Jan, 6 months ago

That looks a little dark (1EV) to me.

W A Stewart
Contributing MemberPosts: 977Gear list
Like?
In reply to SensorGuy, 6 months ago

It's quite dark.  Metering just isn't all tha smart yet (if ever). Also, there is no need to fear highlight clipping in snow scenes - bright ones anyway. Even dialing in +.7, 1, or 1.3 EV you are very unlikely to use the right end of your histogram.

Written in snowy Wisconsin.

-- hide signature --

W Alex Stewart

W A Stewart's gear list:W A Stewart's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Nikon D800E Olympus E-M1 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 17-35mm f/2.8D ED-IF Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 +7 more
InTheMist
Senior MemberPosts: 2,456Gear list
Like?

Hokkaido Jan wrote:

Yup, being in Hokkaido we have meters deep snow, and it's in almost every photo I have taken in last month. Not once have I had to do the "expose for snow". Metering has nailed it every time!

Looks way too dark to me.

-- hide signature --

It's more important how an image looks as a thumbnail than how it looks at 100%.
http://inthemistphoto.com

InTheMist's gear list:InTheMist's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon 1 AW1 Nikon Df Nikon D810 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED +11 more
vagtanklan
Senior MemberPosts: 1,345Gear list
Like?
In reply to InTheMist, 6 months ago

InTheMist wrote:

Hokkaido Jan wrote:

Looks way too dark to me.

-- hide signature --

It's more important how an image looks as a thumbnail than how it looks at 100%.
http://inthemistphoto.com

I think both the D610 and D800 tend to expose snow on the dark side ... no matter though as the leverage in post is huge.

-- hide signature --
 vagtanklan's gear list:vagtanklan's gear list
Nikon D40 Canon EOS M Canon EOS 6D Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G II Canon EF-M 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM +9 more
Lance B
Forum ProPosts: 27,093Gear list
Like?

hzmeyer wrote:

I really don't know how it would recognise snow. That is something you must adjust for, otherwise the camera is metering incorrectly.

Lance B's gear list:Lance B's gear list
Nikon D800E Nikon D810 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm f/4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +13 more
calson
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,312
Like?

The sample shot of the snowboarder is underexposed so not a good way to illustrate the accuracy of the camera's metering. Even with matrix metering i go to +0.7 EV on overcast days are when it is snowing. Much less of an EV adjustment than if using CW metering but I still adjust and I still shoot only RAW which provides a much greater DR than capturing to JPEG.

soloryb
Senior MemberPosts: 1,121Gear list
Like?
Snow can fool the meter

hzmeyer wrote:

A camera light meter is designed to evaluate the reflected light from an 18% gray card (on some cameras this value may be 16% or so). When the light from bright white snow reaches the sensor, it treats it as if that 18% gray card is reflecting more light than is actually bouncing off the snow. The metering system then responds by reducing the exposure. That can lead to the snow being underexposed, which is the reason for adding ev compensation. This adjustment can vary somewhat depending on the camera so it's always a good idea to experiment a little and determine the amount of compensation to add for yourself. Add to this mix the variability of outdoor lighting conditions and the level of contrast between subject and bright white background snow, and you can see why there is no steadfast rule that will work for all scenes.

The D800 also is blessed with a rather large dynamic range. Together with the probability that a snowy outdoor scene will be shot at a low ISO (highest DR), this makes it likely that the image will not have clipped the highlights to the extent where you can't do something about it during post.

When in doubt - bracket.

soloryb

soloryb's gear list:soloryb's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Nikon D800E Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF Fisheye-Nikkor 16mm f/2.8D +9 more
Leonard Shepherd
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,425Gear list
Like?

For sunlit snow matrix has got snow exposures right since the F100 era - provided you do not apply any exposure compensation as you would if using centre weighted or spot.

For snow in shade the latest cameras underexpose a little - easily sorted by looking at the histogram for the first shot.

-- hide signature --

Leonard Shepherd
Great images are often of good subjects.
If they are great images does what lens, body or technique was used matter more than the skill of the photographer?

Leonard Shepherd's gear list:Leonard Shepherd's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon D7100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G IF-ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 12-24mm f/4G ED-IF Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm f/4G ED VR +19 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads