Who plans to order the G1X Mark II?

Started 7 months ago | Discussions
happyass
Junior MemberPosts: 30
Like?
Re: Who plans to order the G1X Mark II?
In reply to Tonkotsu Ramen, 7 months ago

I will buy it ASAP. I wonder when will it be available?

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Tapper123
Senior MemberPosts: 1,159Gear list
Like?
In reply to Jennyhappy2, 7 months ago

Jennyhappy2 wrote:

Now that it is nearly official and all the pessimistic folks can step aside, who plans to order the G1X Mark II?

I'm curious to see reviews. Love my RX100II, and this seems similar but even better specced.

Question is, how small is it? The main reason I bought the RX was to have a pocket camera with good IQ. If this is much bigger than the RX then it's not really competing for the same market. If it's on the larger side then it will be competing with a lot of CSC's, and that's a crowded field now.

Tapper123's gear list:Tapper123's gear list
RX100 III Sony Alpha NEX-F3 +2 more
Hinder
Contributing MemberPosts: 537Gear list
Like?
In reply to Tapper123, 7 months ago

I will have to read reviews and play with one first before I buy it.  I don't think I've ever bought anything without touching and seeing something in person.  Kinda sucks there is no viewfinder other than the add on, just another thing to carry.

Hinder's gear list:Hinder's gear list
Canon EOS 60D Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0L USM Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6L IS USM +17 more
Tonkotsu Ramen
Senior MemberPosts: 1,061Gear list
Like?
In reply to Tapper123, 7 months ago

When I had my RX100II, i found that it was too thick to comfortably fit in my jeans pockets (unlike my Canon S90, which is much thinner), so I ended up buying a small case for it or using my jacket pockets. I think this is the segment that Canon is aiming for with this product.

True Pocketable = Canon S120 3.9 x 2.3 x 1.1

Somewhat Pocketable = Sony RX100II 4 x 2.29 x 1.51

Somewhat Pocketable = Canon G1X Mark II 4.6 x 2.9 x 2.6

Being about half an inch larger in every direction completely removes it from being "jeans pocketable" but it'll still do fine in jacket or cargo pockets imo

Rod McD
Senior MemberPosts: 2,213Gear list
Like?

Hi Tonkotsu and Peter

You may well both be right.  However, I'm not an RX100 buyer, so I'll have to head in the opposite direction.  C'est la vie.

I already have a DSLR and it's a good smaller travel camera I'm after.  As far as mirror-less cameras go there is clearly more than one design school.  Fuji, Olympus and Sony appear to have aimed their upper (enthusiast) models at those who want a BIEVF.    There is another stream of thought around external controls versus touch screens.  Fuji appears to be the one following the BIEVF and external control philosophy, so I suspect that'll be where I head.  Their XT1 is looking very good.

Canon only offers the M which does have a touch screen and doesn't have a BIEVF.  This is clearly a school of thought Canon are following at the moment so I'll have to look elsewhere.  I'll be keeping my Mark 1 for the time being.......

All the best with your own decision making.

Cheers, Rod

Rod McD's gear list:Rod McD's gear list
Canon PowerShot G12 Canon PowerShot G1 X Pentax K-5 Fujifilm X-T1
Tapper123
Senior MemberPosts: 1,159Gear list
Like?

Tonkotsu Ramen wrote:

When I had my RX100II, i found that it was too thick to comfortably fit in my jeans pockets (unlike my Canon S90, which is much thinner), so I ended up buying a small case for it or using my jacket pockets. I think this is the segment that Canon is aiming for with this product.

Being about half an inch larger in every direction completely removes it from being "jeans pocketable" but it'll still do fine in jacket or cargo pockets imo

Thanks for the measurements. Definitely not a direct competition for RX100 series then. Too big.

I find RX100 very pocketable. Not shirt pocket, but most others. G1XII at a half inch bigger in each dimension seems a lot bigger to me.

Tapper123's gear list:Tapper123's gear list
RX100 III Sony Alpha NEX-F3 +2 more
Jennyhappy2
Senior MemberPosts: 1,112Gear list
Like?

Thats like comparing the S120 to the G16...completely different sizes for different purposes, but with the RX100 and G1X even bigger sensor sizes which one would expect the camera to be bigger.

Tonkotsu Ramen wrote:

Tonkotsu Ramen
Like?

That's true as well, but since we're talking "compact" (hah!) cameras, i thought I'd throw in the others.

Here's the comparison on camerasize.com (threw in the EOS-M for comparison)

http://camerasize.com/compact/#257,467,351.349,ha,t

The g1x is about the same as the g1x m2, except about .3" wider, but it's about the size you can expect.

Then here it is vs the NEX-5T i'm replacing:

http://camerasize.com/compact/#257,478.360,ha,t

And the NEX-3N

http://camerasize.com/compact/#257,442.360,ha,t

After looking at the size and weight, I will need to wait for reviews. I didn't think those inches would add up so quickly, and the weight (same as my Sony A57 body), may make it uncomfortable to hold for long durations. Hope to see reviews soon!

KJaay
Senior MemberPosts: 3,184Gear list
Like?

The G1X Mark II has a bigger sensor and only around 13 mp, the IQ might be Great, and external EVF will be a great option, if it is large and has high mp count. The cams with good built in evfs run around $1300. Interesting camera.

-- hide signature --

KJ

KJaay's gear list:KJaay's gear list
Canon PowerShot S3 IS Fujifilm X-S1 Canon EOS 450D
mpix345
Contributing MemberPosts: 601Gear list
Like?
In reply to Rohith Thumati, 7 months ago

Rohith Thumati wrote:

Jennyhappy2 wrote:

It will be... DIGIC 6....look at the S110 to S120 and G15 to G16.

peter_friend wrote:

If the speed Af is better, i will buy the Mark II. See some reviews before.

The question really is how much better, which the early previews hopefully will answer. Is it Olympus E-M5 competitive? Or closer to, say, Fuji X100? I'm looking forward to finding out.

That is my question as well.  If it punches with the E-M5 then I'm all in.  It seems that every new camera comes with a claim of having fastest AF.  The fact that Canon does not make this claim makes me a bit nervous.  

mpix345's gear list:mpix345's gear list
Canon PowerShot SX230 HS Nikon Coolpix P510
meland
Senior MemberPosts: 3,461
Like?
In reply to mpix345, 7 months ago

mpix345 wrote:

It seems that every new camera comes with a claim of having fastest AF. The fact that Canon does not make this claim makes me a bit nervous.

The fact that Canon does not make that claim is actually quite refreshing in a world apparently driven largely by hype.

Jennyhappy2
Like?
PowerShot G1 X Mark II High-End, Advanced Digital Cameras
DocetLector
Regular MemberPosts: 170Gear list
Like?
In reply to Rod McD, 7 months ago

+1 !!!

I was hoping to replace my G11, but no viewfinder, less external controls -  to me it is not a PowerShot G anymore.

DocetLector's gear list:DocetLector's gear list
Canon PowerShot G11 Fujifilm FinePix S3 Pro Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Nikon AF Micro-Nikkor 60mm f/2.8D Tokina AT-X Pro 12-24mm f/4 (IF) DX +1 more
AdamT
Forum ProPosts: 56,415Gear list
Like?
No thanks they Ruined it

all they needed to do was replace the OVF with an EVF and speed the thing up - that was ALL  !! . the lens, sensor, user interface, handling, swivelly screen the lot were pretty much perfect on the oriiginal G1X - I Hate the touchscreen on my EOS-M and wish it could be totally disabled as it`s easy to touch when handling the camera messing up the focus point or worse ......

what I like most after the RAW IQ of the original G1X has been removed, the Exposure comp dial , two command dials and swivel screen all gone, Yes a Faster lens is good so long as its as perfect as the slower G1X unit which was tack sharp edge to edge end to end (in otherwords not compromised by the speed and range increase) we`ll see how it fares in RAW at the edges and for CA .

-- hide signature --

** Please ignore the Typos, I'm the world's worst Typist **

AdamT's gear list:AdamT's gear list
Sigma DP1 Fujifilm X-S1 Canon PowerShot G1 X Nikon Coolpix P330 Olympus OM-D E-M5 +1 more
Jennyhappy2
Like?
Ready for pre-order

Looks like it's now available for pre-order at Amazon, Adorama, etc.

Digital Shutterbug
Senior MemberPosts: 1,685Gear list
Like?
Re: No thanks they Ruined it
In reply to AdamT, 7 months ago

AdamT wrote:

all they needed to do was replace the OVF with an EVF and speed the thing up - that was ALL !! . the lens, sensor, user interface, handling, swivelly screen the lot were pretty much perfect on the oriiginal G1X - I Hate the touchscreen on my EOS-M and wish it could be totally disabled as it`s easy to touch when handling the camera messing up the focus point or worse ......

what I like most after the RAW IQ of the original G1X has been removed, the Exposure comp dial , two command dials and swivel screen all gone, Yes a Faster lens is good so long as its as perfect as the slower G1X unit which was tack sharp edge to edge end to end (in otherwords not compromised by the speed and range increase) we`ll see how it fares in RAW at the edges and for CA .

-- hide signature --

I have to agree completely. I looks as though the tilt screen only tilts upward. What about holding the camera overhead in a crowd? The swivel screen of the G1X had that covered.

I also am not that crazy about the touchscreen. With the M, M2, 70D and SL1, I am having to force myself to learn to deal with touch screen, but I still like dials. I can see how the camera is set up before I even turn it on if it has external controls. If it's not what I want, change it. Fujifilm has done things right with their new X-T1. I wish Canon would move in that same direction, but I guess us older folks are going to have to be satisfied with more and more touchscreen control. That looks like the future. One more thing, what good is an EVF if you have to take the camera away from your eye to use a touchscreen to make setting changes? The two rings on the lens may mitigate that problem, but I would need to handle the camera to see how those can be used.

As Year77 points out in his reply, what's up with 13MP? So many cameras, many with smaller sensors, have 18+MP. With today's sensors and processing capabilities, there is little to be gained in fewer pixels.

I'm glad that Canon increased the wide angle end of the lens to 24mm. I would make use of that. The faster lens speed is also nice.

The OVF on the G1X is certainly not good, but I can use it in bright sunlight. Now, you have to spend another $300 to get an EVF. Are you kidding? Now we're at $1100, and still can't change the lens. There is simply too much competition in the $1100 price range for me to consider the G1X MK II.

-- hide signature --

Steve

Michel Cojan
Regular MemberPosts: 419Gear list
Like?
In reply to Digital Shutterbug, 7 months ago

Digital Shutterbug wrote:

AdamT wrote:

all they needed to do was replace the OVF with an EVF and speed the thing up - that was ALL !! . the lens, sensor, user interface, handling, swivelly screen the lot were pretty much perfect on the oriiginal G1X - I Hate the touchscreen on my EOS-M and wish it could be totally disabled as it`s easy to touch when handling the camera messing up the focus point or worse ......

-- hide signature --

I have to agree completely. I looks as though the tilt screen only tilts upward. What about holding the camera overhead in a crowd? The swivel screen of the G1X had that covered.

I also am not that crazy about the touchscreen. With the M, M2, 70D and SL1, I am having to force myself to learn to deal with touch screen, but I still like dials. I can see how the camera is set up before I even turn it on if it has external controls. If it's not what I want, change it. Fujifilm has done things right with their new X-T1. I wish Canon would move in that same direction, but I guess us older folks are going to have to be satisfied with more and more touchscreen control. That looks like the future. One more thing, what good is an EVF if you have to take the camera away from your eye to use a touchscreen to make setting changes? The two rings on the lens may mitigate that problem, but I would need to handle the camera to see how those can be used.

As Year77 points out in his reply, what's up with 13MP? So many cameras, many with smaller sensors, have 18+MP. With today's sensors and processing capabilities, there is little to be gained in fewer pixels.

I'm glad that Canon increased the wide angle end of the lens to 24mm. I would make use of that. The faster lens speed is also nice.

The OVF on the G1X is certainly not good, but I can use it in bright sunlight. Now, you have to spend another $300 to get an EVF. Are you kidding? Now we're at $1100, and still can't change the lens. There is simply too much competition in the $1100 price range for me to consider the G1X MK II.

-- hide signature --

Steve

Totally right !

Michel Cojan's gear list:Michel Cojan's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P7800
Tonkotsu Ramen
Like?

AdamT wrote:

-- hide signature --

-- hide signature --

Steve

Man, so many issues. Let me address some.

-The LCD tilts both up and down, crowd shots shouldn't be an issue, but portrait shots won't be as easy as the original.

-The new camera has dual control rings on the front lens that can be assigned to numerous functions. You'll be fine.

-The original camera also had a fixed lens. At this point, you're just looking at random things to complain about. If you wanted to change lenses, you wouldn't buy a purposely fixed lens camera anyways. There are numerous ILC/DSLR's that you can get instead.

-THE POINT is that the original g1x was a sales failure, and they don't want a repeat of that. This camera goes 10 steps forward 1 step back. Most people will love it.

meland
Senior MemberPosts: 3,461
Like?

AdamT wrote:

-- hide signature --

Turn the camera upside down?

-- hide signature --

Steve

requa
Regular MemberPosts: 194Gear list
Like?
In reply to meland, 7 months ago

meland wrote:

Turn the camera upside down?

No. The LCD can swivel up 180 degrees or down 45 degrees. It looks like a double hinge assembly. Check the photos in Canon's site under Features.

requa's gear list:requa's gear list
G1 X II
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads