Happy G1 X owners excited about G1 X Mark II?

Started 10 months ago | Discussions
mcslsk
Senior MemberPosts: 1,200Gear list
Like?
Re: Happy G1 X owners excited about G1 X Mark II?
In reply to howardroark, 10 months ago

Fotokoch in Germany offer pre-order for €849. That is a lot! Will wait this time to see if speed has really improved significantly. If not, G1X still serves me well, and I am getting more and more fond of the NEX6 if speed is critical.

mcslsk's gear list:mcslsk's gear list
Sony Alpha 7 Sony a6000 Canon EF 70-200mm f/4.0L USM Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS +5 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
particleman78
Regular MemberPosts: 121Gear list
Like?
In reply to rrccad, 10 months ago

Looking at the specs, the G1X II has fixed my primary complaints about the G1X. I hated the 4:3 aspect ratio and I it has faster AF. Plus it has a faster lens to boot! I will definitely be picking one up when they become available.

The only other thing I could ask for is weather sealing to keep dust out of the lens and off the sensor, like the RX10, but the RX10 is DSLR like in size and build.

unknown member
(unknown member)
Like?
Hopefully fewer pixels means...
In reply to biza43, 10 months ago

Much better low-light/high ISO performance.  I'm not as concerned about dynamic range as some others, but an improvement there would be great as well.  Come on test shots.

biza43 wrote:

Excited? Not really. Interested? Yes.

In today's market, for a "compact" camera to succeed, it has to be small; Canon have made the camera small, while keeping it's core features: large sensor, robust construction, fixed high quality zoom lens (and faster than previous model), nice touch screen interface. They also finally got rid of the useless OVF.

So, all in all, it seems like a very competent photographic tool, that will give DSLR-like image quality in a very small package.

-- hide signature --

www.paulobizarro.com

howardroark's gear list:howardroark's gear list
Canon PowerShot G1 X
nolten
Regular MemberPosts: 258
Like?

Wow, its real then. Nice.  Sorry Marco, but I'm glad you were wrong. 

As a happy G1X owner, I welcome the continuation and improvements in the line. If Canon has done their job it looks like an improvement equivalent to the 5D2 to 5D3 generation. The EVF and lens improvements are significant and the AF looks promising. 30 FPS HD video is also a welcome improvement. Sensor improvements are still TBD. Price is the same as the G1X at introduction and its come down to about $600.

I don't feel compelled, at this point, to replace my G1X like I was when the G1X was announced as a replacement for my G10. But then, I felt this way when the 5D3 was announced too

Having done side by side IQ comparisons between my G1X and 5Dc + 24-105 and 7D/SL1 + 15-85 I can say that the IQ of the G1X is very close to those combinations, particularly the 15-85 between 18-50 and ISOs up to 1600. I use my G as a supplement to my 5D3 when traveling, for backpacking, and underwater. To really tempt me the Gmk2 will have to convince me I can leave my 24-105 home and just take my Voigtlander 20, 35 f2 IS, and 100-400 for the 5D3. A tall order given the resolution difference with the 5D3. The Gmk2 sensor is no different in resolution than the G1X, 4352 px wide, 5Dc width.

I think the improvements will make the new G a much more generally attractive camera and thus ensure the continuation of the line. I've loved my Gs as sturdy, reliable little cameras when I've been out in the field and the G1X easily convinced me that I'd never go to a small P&S sensor again. I don't understand why anyone would buy a regularly numbered G with the X line available. And don't say close focus because a 250D filter easily fixes that. Assuming the exposure compensation dial has moved to one of the front rings, my only niggle is the loss of the fully closing LCD display. I look forward to reviews and testing.

unknown member
(unknown member)
Like?
In reply to Mk7, 10 months ago

Mk7 wrote:

howardroark wrote:

Mk7 wrote:

papillon_65 wrote:

Mk7 wrote:
Just because the RX is smaller and lighter doesn't mean they aimed lower. Its sensor and lens can give comparable and often better results than the G1 X.

I'd like to see that.
Canon sensors are lacking in dynamic range compared to others. Besides, an RX100 in the pocket and with you beats a G1 X brick left at home every time!

That G1 X "brick" is with me all the time and the size difference is so insignificant to many able-bodied adults that we don't worry about whether the camera will fit into our front shirt pocket or not. Again, the RX100's main claim to fame is that it is smaller, and for some people the size difference is enough for that to be important. For others, the size of the G1 X is worth what you get in return.

I agree, that's why I lug mine around instead of a pocket cam.
My G1 X is with me most of the time, but, unlike most consumers, I carry a camera case or pack most of the time. There are times and places where I must go light, and the G1 X gets left behind in favor of something smaller.
DPReview says, "For anyone simply looking for the best image quality from a compact, the RX100 II is the answer." Small, portable phones aren't the #1 camera type because of their IQ. The RX hits a sweet spot that has made it a runaway hit.

Maybe a runaway hit for Sony...finally.  But the real runaway hit is the Canon G series and maybe the S series.  These two cameras have the largest sensor of P&S cameras that predate the G1 X and RX100.  They have been huge sellers the likes of which Sony has only dreamed of.  Good thing Sony finally made a camera with a somewhat large sensor that could make people forget that they were buying a Sony.

That said, I've already seen enough of the G1 X MarkII to know that it will be my next cam. I know the performance, lens and sensor will be good enough for my needs. I hope to have one in time for my April vacation.

As appealing as a very small camera can be, I can't get over the image quality issues and missing features you have to accept, so I'm on board with you here.  The lens is freaking huge even compared to the G1 X.  Comparing the two side by side on that goofy camera size website shows how Canon quit riding the lens fence here and finally took out the big guns.  Great zoom, fast, wide focal length, greatly improve macro, and with such large amount of glass I'm very optimistic detail resolution will be stunnying.  I might be able to resist a 7D II, but I doubt I can resist a G1 X II.

Canon PowerShot G1 X
Steen Bay
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,406
Like?
Re: Looks like a winner!
In reply to Great Bustard, 10 months ago

Great Bustard wrote:

The 12.5mm - 62.5mm / 2-3.9 lens on its 1.9x sensor is equivalent to a 24-120 / 3.8-7.5 on FF, which, in my opinion, is just what the doctor ordered, assuming the lens is sharp wide open and full-on one stop down, and the sensor is at least as efficient as the most efficient sensors in modern mirrorless and DSLRs.

Well, define "efficient". The G1x II (most likely) has a Canon sensor, so you know what to expect.

unknown member
(unknown member)
Like?
In reply to Greynerd, 10 months ago

Greynerd wrote:

Who would have thought a couple of years ago they could drop even the dedicated EVF dial on a G with scarce a whimper.

mcslsk wrote:

It' s called G1X but it is not a G1X? Very funny. It sure is the same concept w/o OVF.

You mean the dedicated Exposure Compensation dial?  Notice that the lens has two control rings, and I'd imagine they can be somewhat customized.  EC is one of those things most people are happy adjusting using menus, and with a touch screen it is possible to make some very quick changes without using dials or buttons.

Canon PowerShot G1 X
Greynerd
Senior MemberPosts: 3,841
Like?

Sorry the F crept in, meant EV. Probably a very configurable camera but seems very different for a Mk II version. If the second ring is not a dummy that will be a good feature. It is an interesting bit of kit.

howardroark wrote:

Greynerd wrote:

Who would have thought a couple of years ago they could drop even the dedicated EVF dial on a G with scarce a whimper.

mcslsk wrote:

It' s called G1X but it is not a G1X? Very funny. It sure is the same concept w/o OVF.

You mean the dedicated Exposure Compensation dial? Notice that the lens has two control rings, and I'd imagine they can be somewhat customized. EC is one of those things most people are happy adjusting using menus, and with a touch screen it is possible to make some very quick changes without using dials or buttons.

nolten
Regular MemberPosts: 258
Like?
Re: Hopefully fewer pixels means...

It is exactly the same sensor size as the G1X. 24 mm effective on the wide end means you can't have both full height and full width - hence the choice in aspect ratio. Probably a good trade-off to get 24 mm optical width, but you will have to rely on electronic improvements for lower noise or better dynamic range. Not to say this isn't possible.

unknown member
(unknown member)
Like?
In reply to Greynerd, 10 months ago

There is some discussion of the two control rings either here or elsewhere, but there is also a youtube video that shows one ring being a smooth adjustment for things like autofocus and the other is clicky for things like shutter speed or aperture....seems like each one can be configured using a list of possible options.

Greynerd wrote:

Sorry the F crept in, meant EV. Probably a very configurable camera but seems very different for a Mk II version. If the second ring is not a dummy that will be a good feature. It is an interesting bit of kit.

howardroark wrote:

Greynerd wrote:

mcslsk wrote:

You mean the dedicated Exposure Compensation dial? Notice that the lens has two control rings, and I'd imagine they can be somewhat customized. EC is one of those things most people are happy adjusting using menus, and with a touch screen it is possible to make some very quick changes without using dials or buttons.

Canon PowerShot G1 X
particleman78
Regular MemberPosts: 121Gear list
Like?
In reply to nolten, 10 months ago

I liked the fully closing LCD on the G1X too as it saved me from having to buy a screen protector.  But if it has a durable glass screen like on the G15-16, then it isn't a big deal, it will even save you the trouble of having to flip the screen before using it. But if it is just a cheap plastic screen then I will have to buy a screen protector.

nolten wrote:

my only niggle is the loss of the fully closing LCD display. I look forward to reviews and testing.
Great Bustard
Forum ProPosts: 24,681
Like?
Re: Looks like a winner!
In reply to Steen Bay, 10 months ago

Steen Bay wrote:

Great Bustard wrote:

The 12.5mm - 62.5mm / 2-3.9 lens on its 1.9x sensor is equivalent to a 24-120 / 3.8-7.5 on FF, which, in my opinion, is just what the doctor ordered, assuming the lens is sharp wide open and full-on one stop down, and the sensor is at least as efficient as the most efficient sensors in modern mirrorless and DSLRs.

Well, define "efficient".

Made by anyone besides Canon. 

The G1x II (most likely) has a Canon sensor, so you know what to expect.

Well, the QE for the G1x is 38%, so I would hope we'd see at least 50%, with the gain not coming at the expense of a weaker CFA.  It would be nice to see base ISO read noise lower and FWC higher, but that's highly doubtful if a Canon sensor.

infocus
Regular MemberPosts: 163Gear list
Like?

I love my G1X. Light enough to carry in my backpack, great shots. The Mark II improves on many of the issues some had. I'm glad about the 5x optical zoom. Never used the viewfinder so that's no biggie to me.

Here are the specs translated into English from the Canon site.

infocus's gear list:infocus's gear list
Canon PowerShot G1 X Canon PowerShot G1 X II
infocus
Like?
Explain the Tilt Screen
In reply to panamforeman, 10 months ago

I'm having a hard time imagining how the tilt screen will work. Does it basically function the same as the foldout kind? What if I hold the camera way above my head: can I tilt the screen down to view?

unknown member
(unknown member)
Like?
Re: Hopefully fewer pixels means...
In reply to nolten, 10 months ago

nolten wrote:

It is exactly the same sensor size as the G1X. 24 mm effective on the wide end means you can't have both full height and full width - hence the choice in aspect ratio. Probably a good trade-off to get 24 mm optical width, but you will have to rely on electronic improvements for lower noise or better dynamic range. Not to say this isn't possible.

Thank you for pointing that out.  I believe it is possible that this isn't exactly the same sensor, but however it's made the proof will be in the pudding.

Canon PowerShot G1 X
Greg Gebhardt
Forum ProPosts: 25,360Gear list
Like?
I will be getting one but

we all must understand that it will not be a HUGE leap in quality over the G1X.

Mine is on order early thsi am.

-- hide signature --

Greg
Jax, FL

Greg Gebhardt's gear list:Greg Gebhardt's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 Leica M9 Nikon D4
unknown member
(unknown member)
Like?
Re: I will be getting one but
In reply to Greg Gebhardt, 10 months ago

Greg Gebhardt wrote:

we all must understand that it will not be a HUGE leap in quality over the G1X.

Mine is on order early thsi am.

-- hide signature --

Greg
Jax, FL

What qualifies as a HUGE leap these days?  If a faster lens with a wider focal length and more zoom that can pull focus much quicker or allow you to manual focus much quicker will allow you to get pictures you otherwise wouldn't get then I think the difference in quality is the difference between a black frame and frame with a wonderful image recorded.

Image quality presumes the existence of the image, but everything required to get up to that point is HUGEly important.  If the G1 X II really is 56% faster than the G1 X then you're going to get a great camera.

Canon PowerShot G1 X
Mk7
Mk7
Senior MemberPosts: 1,127
Like?
In reply to Strick Shooter, 10 months ago

Strick Shooter wrote:
I doubt Canon was concerned about the RX100 when designing the MKII.......they are a different class camera (still don't get why people want to compare them).

Good thing Canon engineers aren't so limited in their thought.

http://camerasize.com/compact/#534,257,ha,f

Sure looks smaller to me.

Strick Shooter
Junior MemberPosts: 39
Like?
In reply to Mk7, 10 months ago

Mk7 wrote:

Strick Shooter wrote:
I doubt Canon was concerned about the RX100 when designing the MKII.......they are a different class camera (still don't get why people want to compare them).

Good thing Canon engineers aren't so limited in their thought.

http://camerasize.com/compact/#534,257,ha,f

Sure looks smaller to me.

If the same width, deeper, heavier, but 6mm shorter is smaller to you then more power to you.  The only reason is 6mm shorter is they tossed the OVF.

I happen to like the fact that it didn't get smaller, that is not what a G series camera is.

-- hide signature --
infocus
Like?

Yes, I shoot panoramas all the time. With my iPhone but also with my G1 X (stitching them in Photoshop). I'd love a pano feature but it's not a deal breaker.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads