Happy G1 X owners excited about G1 X Mark II?

Started 6 months ago | Discussions
unknown member
(unknown member)
Like?
Happy G1 X owners excited about G1 X Mark II?
6 months ago

Now that the rumors have started becoming much more concrete, I think it is safe to say we know what to expect on Thursday.  That being the case, I wanted to find out if there are people out there who own the G1 X and are happy about the direction the G1 X Mark II has gone or were somewhat underwhelmed by (and didn't purchase) the G1 X but now think the G1 X line has some real potential.

We still don't have the full list of features and specs, but perhaps we can keep the G1 X II discussion down to a few thousand threads by having a positive discussion here and leaving all the bitterness to other threads.  Yes?

So far what I've seen makes me think the new G1 X Mark II is going to be a worthy upgrade to the G1 X.  I have no idea what to make of the pixel count and the changing AF specs, but I'm hoping that we're going to see a much faster on-sensor PDAF implimentation (maybe a DP PDAF) and an AF mechanism to match.

As for the looks, I dont' think it's ugly in the slightest.  The G1 X is an awesomel looking ugly camera in my opinion, if you understand my meaning.  Have you ever seen an ugly attractive person or an attractive ugly person?  I have, and the G1 X and G1 X II are striking in their stark, utilitarian appeal.  And unless something is really all-around ugly, distasteful, and hard to look at because of poor design, horrible ergonomics, and no attention to aesthetics then why does anyone care?  Some have said it's ugly enough to not buy.  How many times have we heard that pathetic argument?  The G1 X wasn't pretty enough to buy, but it also wasn't ugly enough to hate....in my opinion, anyway.  And once you use these non-gorgeous things don't they become extremely attractive all of a sudden?

Anyway, I'm hoping to be convinced more in the next couple of days that the little lady needs a new camera that will then basically spend most of its time in my hands. 

 howardroark's gear list:howardroark's gear list
Canon PowerShot G1 X
Canon PowerShot G1 X
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
mcslsk
Senior MemberPosts: 1,032Gear list
Like?
Re: Happy G1 X owners excited about G1 X Mark II?
In reply to howardroark, 6 months ago

Don't know yet. After waiting for Canon so long to fix the shortcommings of the G1X (mainly speed), I have just bought a NEX6 with several lenses. But: If there is a G2X in the making (which now even Marco seems to believe ), I will wait and see if a) IQ is the same as with the G1X - which nothing short of stunning, and b) whether there is a significant increase in operational speed (there should be). I am uncertain about the lack of OVF (which I use quite a bit on the G1X) and are afraid the EVF add on will cost as much as the camera. Since the G1X serves we well in situations where speed is not an issue, the G2X needs to be pretty convincing in order for me to spend the money.

 mcslsk's gear list:mcslsk's gear list
Canon PowerShot S110 G1 X II Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS Sony E 55-210mm F4.5-6.3 OSS +3 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
unknown member
(unknown member)
Like?
Re: Happy G1 X owners excited about G1 X Mark II?
In reply to mcslsk, 6 months ago

mcslsk wrote:

Don't know yet. After waiting for Canon so long to fix the shortcommings of the G1X (mainly speed), I have just bought a NEX6 with several lenses. But: If there is a G2X in the making (which now even Marco seems to believe ), I will wait and see if a) IQ is the same as with the G1X - which nothing short of stunning, and b) whether there is a significant increase in operational speed (there should be). I am uncertain about the lack of OVF (which I use quite a bit on the G1X) and are afraid the EVF add on will cost as much as the camera. Since the G1X serves we well in situations where speed is not an issue, the G2X needs to be pretty convincing in order for me to spend the money.

I like finally having real specs thanks to the Best Buy link posted elsewhere.  The pictures also finally show us what the camera looks like in action.

Ah yes, Marco.  At least he hasn't claimed to know all along that it was coming.  He would have been better off stating his belief once and then claming up about it so as to look slightly less foolish.

Yeah, the speed will certainly make or break the camera.  I don't understand the drop in resolution unless there is some on-sensor PDAF pixels, but that doesn't seem to be the case.  Perhaps we'll get some much imporved DR and low-light noise.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/powershot-g1-x-mark-ii-12-8-megapixel-digital-camera/3986094.p

Captures high-resolution images up to 4160 x 3120 pixels at 3:2 aspect ratio (13.1 effective megapixels at 4:3 aspect ratio).

Through a wide-angle lens for precise zooming and accuracy. The lens features dual control rings for customized functions similar to SLR lenses and a 9-blade aperture for beautiful, blurred backgrounds.

Makes it easy to navigate features and displays images in crisp, bright detail. The tilting design lets you achieve an ideal view of the screen from multiple angles.

Enables one-touch recording of stunning videos in 1080p resolution via the dedicated movie button.

Combines with the CMOS sensor to create the Canon HS SYSTEM, which optimizes low-light performance.

Reduces image blur caused by camera shake and vibration. ISO up to 12,800 ensures images are clearly captured, even in dimly lit environments.

Include creative shot, portrait, star, handheld night scene, snow, fireworks, nostalgic, fish-eye effect, background defocus, super vivid and more, so you can add a variety of artistic, complementary effects to your shots.

Allows you to capture dynamic, fast-motion events at up to 5.2 fps. Face detection isolates subjects in-frame and optimizes conditions, letting you take high-quality pictures of friends and family members.

Include auto, daylight, shade, cloudy, tungsten, fluorescent, fluorescent H, flash, underwater and custom, helping you achieve natural tones in a wide range of lighting conditions.

With auto, on, slow synchro and off modes provides efficient illumination, so you can capture clear, properly lit images.

Improves focusing speed, letting you quickly hone in on subjects from as close as 2".

Enables the wireless transfer of photos and videos to compatible mobile devices, select social networking sites and Wi-Fi-enabled computers and lets you remotely operate the camera using an enabled cell phone or tablet.

Allows you to pair the camera and your compatible Android device with just 1 touch.

Supports Secure Digital, Secure Digital High Capacity and SDXC memory cards (not included), so you can store plenty of photos and videos.

 howardroark's gear list:howardroark's gear list
Canon PowerShot G1 X
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Greynerd
Senior MemberPosts: 3,508
Like?
Re: Happy G1 X owners excited about G1 X Mark II?
In reply to howardroark, 6 months ago

How can Marco be considered foolish. This camera bears no resemblance to any G series camera let alone the G1X. I am not saying there is anything wrong with the camera but they have just brought out an entirely different camera but using an old name. I do not think you can really say that the concept behind the G1X has been reproduced in any way.

howardroark wrote:

Ah yes, Marco. At least he hasn't claimed to know all along that it was coming. He would have been better off stating his belief once and then claming up about it so as to look slightly less foolish.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
boogieboogie
Regular MemberPosts: 191Gear list
Like?
Re: Happy G1 X owners excited about G1 X Mark II?
In reply to howardroark, 6 months ago

Things I would've added to G1X to make it perfect.

Improve the AF

Improve the macro

Keep the articulated screen although I much prefer a tilt mechanism...a 180 degree tilt would be awesome.

Make the lens brighter.

Make the lens wider.

I like the physical controls but I'd really like a lens ring controller.

Give the flash a hinge mechanism so it can be bounced.

Add a touch screen.

Make it smaller.

Keep the sensor size and low light ability as is or better it.

Improve the optical viewfinder as per fuji x20 or give us an evf.

Don't kill me with the price.

So, price, AF and overall handling is all I'm waiting for but it's looking like canon have hit this one out of the ball park. What they've done with the lens is incredible for such a compact unit and is all most of us will ever need in focal length coverage. Can't wait to hear reviews.

As far as looks are concerned, its very typical canon - solid and utilitarian. It's plain but also subtle and to the untrained eye just like any number of compact cameras and therefore not likely to get unwanted attention or stand out like a photo nerd's camera at parties. Meanwhile it'll be getting shots that no other compact will even be able to get close to.

I didn't buy a G1X but this one I am very very excited about.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
unknown member
(unknown member)
Like?
Re: Happy G1 X owners excited about G1 X Mark II?
In reply to Greynerd, 6 months ago

Marco said the G1 X was a camera disguised as a G series camera.

"This is going to be a fascinating exercise by Canon. Because they need to convince the world that the 'Slow and Bulky camera that had trouble with Closeup Photography and couldn't do Macro shots without an additional lens" is now UGLIER. It might be technically superior to the last publicly unpopular offering they sent out to market disguised as a G-camera."

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/53091515

And for the record, the G1 X was billed as a high-end compact P&S and not the same line as the typical G cameras.  Also, the G camera have gone back and forth between big and bulky and much slimmer.  This iteration of the G1 X is no different.  The guts and the design put it within the G series, maybe a little closer to the S in size, and producing similar image quality its namesake the G1 X.

Greynerd wrote:

How can Marco be considered foolish. This camera bears no resemblance to any G series camera let alone the G1X. I am not saying there is anything wrong with the camera but they have just brought out an entirely different camera but using an old name. I do not think you can really say that the concept behind the G1X has been reproduced in any way.

howardroark wrote:

Ah yes, Marco. At least he hasn't claimed to know all along that it was coming. He would have been better off stating his belief once and then claming up about it so as to look slightly less foolish.

 howardroark's gear list:howardroark's gear list
Canon PowerShot G1 X
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Ranlee
Contributing MemberPosts: 678Gear list
Like?
Re: Happy G1 X owners excited about G1 X Mark II?
In reply to howardroark, 6 months ago

I am very excited about this camera.  If the lens is as good as the one in my G1X - yet faster and wider, well - what more could we ask for?  If those control rings around the lens actually do something I'm even more excited.  I won't miss the viewfinder - and doubt if I'd by the EVF for what would shoot with it but I will miss the fully articulating LCD.  Tilt is nice but not in the same ballpark.

-- hide signature --

Randy

 Ranlee's gear list:Ranlee's gear list
G1 X II Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS Panasonic Lumix G X Vario 35-100mm F2.8 OIS
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
unknown member
(unknown member)
Like?
Re: Happy G1 X owners excited about G1 X Mark II?
In reply to boogieboogie, 6 months ago

boogieboogie wrote:

Things I would've added to G1X to make it perfect.

Improve the AF

Improve the macro

Keep the articulated screen although I much prefer a tilt mechanism...a 180 degree tilt would be awesome.

Make the lens brighter.

Make the lens wider.

I like the physical controls but I'd really like a lens ring controller.

Give the flash a hinge mechanism so it can be bounced.

Add a touch screen.

Make it smaller.

Keep the sensor size and low light ability as is or better it.

Improve the optical viewfinder as per fuji x20 or give us an evf.

Don't kill me with the price.

So, price, AF and overall handling is all I'm waiting for but it's looking like canon have hit this one out of the ball park. What they've done with the lens is incredible for such a compact unit and is all most of us will ever need in focal length coverage. Can't wait to hear reviews.

They certainly have covered all of the bases that topped the list of those who complained the most about the G1 X.  The image quality really sold the G1 X, but now I think it is possible that its successor will be a much bigger mainstream success.

As far as looks are concerned, its very typical canon - solid and utilitarian. It's plain but also subtle and to the untrained eye just like any number of compact cameras and therefore not likely to get unwanted attention or stand out like a photo nerd's camera at parties. Meanwhile it'll be getting shots that no other compact will even be able to get close to.

I didn't buy a G1X but this one I am very very excited about.

The faster this one performs, the more it will sell.  The list of features will already make it popular, but if it is really snappy it will be a huge hit.

 howardroark's gear list:howardroark's gear list
Canon PowerShot G1 X
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
oxon1
Regular MemberPosts: 273
Like?
Re: Happy G1 X owners excited about G1 X Mark II?
In reply to boogieboogie, 6 months ago

Will the IQ be better than G1X ? more sharper .

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
papillon_65
Forum ProPosts: 17,958Gear list
Like?
Well I was...
In reply to howardroark, 6 months ago

until I realised I won't be able to mount my UWA converter on it as they have removed the adaptor capability at the base of the lens. This means it's pretty much a non-starter for me. It looks like it should be a great camera but I probably won't be buying one, no UWA is a deal breaker for me. I'll be interested to see what the IQ is like in comparison to the G1X, that's the only thing that might make me change my mind, if it's as good or better through the range as the G1X I might be tempted, I'm guessing it won't be but obviously I could be wrong.

-- hide signature --

“The most puzzling development in politics during the last decade is the apparent determination of Western European leaders to re-create the Soviet Union in Western Europe.”
Mikhail Gorbachev
Tony
http://the-random-photographer.blogspot.com/

 papillon_65's gear list:papillon_65's gear list
Sigma DP1 Merrill Sigma DP2 Merrill Fujifilm XF1 Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS +2 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
boblu
Regular MemberPosts: 344Gear list
Like?
Re: Happy G1 X owners excited about G1 X Mark II?
In reply to boogieboogie, 6 months ago

Feel the same way. I like the touch screen control--like M has it. Have to let M go because it's slow/hunting focus AF that had missed focus for some important moment! Tried one day on G1X--cannot bear the slow hunting AF! The G1X mark 2 seems very promise to me that Canon has resolved this AF issue. Will definitely buy one.

 boblu's gear list:boblu's gear list
Canon PowerShot ELPH 330 HS Nikon 1 V1 Canon EOS M Canon EOS 6D Nikon 1 Nikkor 18.5mm f/1.8 +3 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
panamforeman
Contributing MemberPosts: 847Gear list
Like?
Re: Happy G1 X owners excited about G1 X Mark II?
In reply to mcslsk, 6 months ago

With the published Chinese brochure I am now, but not quite, virtually convinced. Which means I will have egg on my face, and stupidly said I would post a photo of same. (will I ever learn?) But still, lets see what tomorrow brings:

1. Does it have the same size sensor?: 1.5

2. Is the sensor an improvement over the original one in the G1X?

3. Is AF faster? (although I never had a problem with it, but seems to be the chief compalint)

4. It appears to have a "tilt" LCD and not a fully articulated one. (I can live with that)

5. Ergonomics? Will it handle as well as the one I have now? A real plus of the G1X is the way it handles and feels in my hand. I have large hands and it feels perfect, more so than any camera I own except for a DSLR, of which I have two and hardly use anymore.

There will be, of course nay-sayers, trolls and Canon haters from other forums. But if Canon does what it is capable of (and we haven't seen much of that in recent years, except for the EOS M INHO) then the new G1X Mark II will be a success, I sure hope so, if for no other reason than to quiet the whiners & complainers of the current G1X (a great camera IMHO).

We shall see!

 panamforeman's gear list:panamforeman's gear list
Canon PowerShot S120
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
snofox
Regular MemberPosts: 204Gear list
Like?
Re: Happy G1 X owners excited about G1 X Mark II?
In reply to howardroark, 6 months ago

I'm extremely happy with my G 1X, and won't give it up anytime soon, but it looks as if Canon has addressed the major concerns well with the new Mark II. I could live easily with a tilt screen, although keeping the tilt/swivel would have been better. The camera has greatly improved macro function and a superb lens has been made even better (I trust). It appears the EC dial at the top of the camera has gone. That's a BIG loss for me ( I do a lot of HDR bracketing, and having that dial is extremely quick and useful), but it wouldn't be a deal breaker. I was sort of hoping that Canon would put an Exposure Comp dial on its dSLRs too, I would have loved that.

Ugly? Yes, it's ugly, but so am I and I am still a great guy.

EDIT: I notice the front dial is gone also. Bummer.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
crashpc
Senior MemberPosts: 2,143Gear list
Like?
Re: Happy G1 X owners excited about G1 X Mark II?
In reply to howardroark, 6 months ago

howardroark wrote:

Now that the rumors have started becoming much more concrete, I think it is safe to say we know what to expect on Thursday. That being the case, I wanted to find out if there are people out there who own the G1 X and are happy about the direction the G1 X Mark II has gone or were somewhat underwhelmed by (and didn't purchase) the G1 X but now think the G1 X line has some real potential.

We still don't have the full list of features and specs, but perhaps we can keep the G1 X II discussion down to a few thousand threads by having a positive discussion here and leaving all the bitterness to other threads. Yes?

So far what I've seen makes me think the new G1 X Mark II is going to be a worthy upgrade to the G1 X. I have no idea what to make of the pixel count and the changing AF specs, but I'm hoping that we're going to see a much faster on-sensor PDAF implimentation (maybe a DP PDAF) and an AF mechanism to match.

As for the looks, I dont' think it's ugly in the slightest. The G1 X is an awesomel looking ugly camera in my opinion, if you understand my meaning. Have you ever seen an ugly attractive person or an attractive ugly person? I have, and the G1 X and G1 X II are striking in their stark, utilitarian appeal. And unless something is really all-around ugly, distasteful, and hard to look at because of poor design, horrible ergonomics, and no attention to aesthetics then why does anyone care? Some have said it's ugly enough to not buy. How many times have we heard that pathetic argument? The G1 X wasn't pretty enough to buy, but it also wasn't ugly enough to hate....in my opinion, anyway. And once you use these non-gorgeous things don't they become extremely attractive all of a sudden?

Anyway, I'm hoping to be convinced more in the next couple of days that the little lady needs a new camera that will then basically spend most of its time in my hands.

Heh you almost made me sizzle two streams of juice out of my nose

Very well! I see it the same. Ugly utilitian people and things. Those, who are looked weirdly, the way as dog looks at a new dish

That´s what I love, and I believe G1X II delivers pretty decently. Not harsh.

-- hide signature --

Why does he do it?

 crashpc's gear list:crashpc's gear list
Canon EOS M Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF-M 22mm f/2 STM
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
jonrobertp
Forum ProPosts: 10,833Gear list
Like?
Re: Happy G1 X owners excited about G1 X Mark II?
In reply to crashpc, 6 months ago

Are we sure it's touchscreen ?   and the regular fps is ...?

I like the unit.  Especially the lens.

 jonrobertp's gear list:jonrobertp's gear list
Sony RX100 G1 X II Canon EOS 70D
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
crashpc
Senior MemberPosts: 2,143Gear list
Like?
Re: Happy G1 X owners excited about G1 X Mark II?
In reply to jonrobertp, 6 months ago

I´m not, but it´s quite obvious. They´d mess up if it would not...

-- hide signature --

Why does he do it?

 crashpc's gear list:crashpc's gear list
Canon EOS M Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF-M 22mm f/2 STM
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
unknown member
(unknown member)
Like?
Yes, real specs have been posted.
In reply to jonrobertp, 6 months ago

jonrobertp wrote:

Are we sure it's touchscreen ?   and the regular fps is ...?

I like the unit.  Especially the lens.

Yes, the specs posted at Best Buy point to all this.  3FPS with active focus, and 5FPS with focus locked.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/powershot-g1-x-mark-ii-12-8-megapixel-digital-camera/3986094.p

 howardroark's gear list:howardroark's gear list
Canon PowerShot G1 X
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
jonrobertp
Forum ProPosts: 10,833Gear list
Like?
Re: Happy G1 X owners excited about G1 X Mark II?
In reply to crashpc, 6 months ago

well touchscreen makes focus more accurate ...and for close ups...that's a good item.

While it's not tiny, it looks like it may fit into a jacket pocket a bit easier than the old version.

 jonrobertp's gear list:jonrobertp's gear list
Sony RX100 G1 X II Canon EOS 70D
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
crashpc
Senior MemberPosts: 2,143Gear list
Like?
Re: Happy G1 X owners excited about G1 X Mark II?
In reply to jonrobertp, 6 months ago

Agree, but... Too late. SL1 with 40mm STM must now fit in my jacket pocket. And it actually does Don´t want to mess across more threads. I was into G1X II even after my buy, but now with SL1 in my hands and 18Mpx sensor, I believe I WON. I´d propably win anyway...

-- hide signature --

Why does he do it?

 crashpc's gear list:crashpc's gear list
Canon EOS M Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF-M 22mm f/2 STM
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
jonrobertp
Forum ProPosts: 10,833Gear list
Like?
Re: Yes, real specs have been posted.
In reply to howardroark, 6 months ago

howardroark wrote:

jonrobertp wrote:

Are we sure it's touchscreen ? and the regular fps is ...?

I like the unit. Especially the lens.

Yes, the specs posted at Best Buy point to all this. 3FPS with active focus, and 5FPS with focus locked.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/powershot-g1-x-mark-ii-12-8-megapixel-digital-camera/3986094.p

thx.

 jonrobertp's gear list:jonrobertp's gear list
Sony RX100 G1 X II Canon EOS 70D
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads