What do m4/3 users think about the Canon G1X II?

Started 10 months ago | Discussions
rpm40
Senior MemberPosts: 1,937Gear list
Like?
What do m4/3 users think about the Canon G1X II?
10 months ago

The rumor mill is starting to pin down how the new Canon G1X will turn out, and it looks like the new model will have a slightly smaller sensor, even closer to m4/3 size (a 1.92x crop, in fact). With such similar sensor dimensions, it makes me wonder how it will compare to existing m4/3, and also if it will satisfy those looking for a fixed lens m4/3 equivalent. I think it will be a serious consideration for those people.

Specs:

Smaller size than G1X with reduced external controls (size should be similar to, say, e-pl5 with pancake)

Approx 1.4" sensor, 13.1 megapixels

Lens: 24-120mm 2.0-3.9 with built in lens cap

Tilting touch LCD

Wifi with NFC and remote wireless control

Built in flash, no OVF, hotshoe w/ optional EVF

Interchangable grips

5cm macro mode

Price probably $799ish

I think it's a very interesting package. Essentially the size of an m4/3 with pancake lens, but with a fast and versatile lens built in. No lens switching, no lens caps, it should even have a built in ND filter like the GX1/S series. This sounds like a really convenient all around shooter.

If it turns out to be as good as it sounds, I might be tempted. What do you think?

rpm40's gear list:rpm40's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PL1 Olympus PEN E-PM2 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 +3 more
smithling
Regular MemberPosts: 306Gear list
Like?
Re: What do m4/3 users think about the Canon G1X II?
In reply to rpm40, 10 months ago

Agreed. Good lens. Adequate sensor. Nice specs. Could be a good take-with-you-everywhere camera. The problem I foresee is the lack of responsiveness as compared with Panasonic's  LX and Sony's RX100 series and how fast the lens stops down at full telephoto. l'll be watching the reviews.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Dheorl
Senior MemberPosts: 2,637Gear list
Like?

Depends how good the video on it is and the ergonomics. Might end up replacing my Fuji X20 if they've solved some of the problems from the first G1X (as a general rule I find it pays to never get the first of any camera).

Ranlee
Contributing MemberPosts: 720Gear list
Like?

I only recently moved to MFT but not because I was unsatisfied with my G1X.  Yes, it is slower than molasses shot to shot but the lens is marvelous and I only find the IQ lacking a little in dynamic range which can be worked around.  I will definitely be interested in G1X II if the lens still resolves as well as the first model.  I won't miss the almost worthless viewfinder but I do wonder about losing a control wheel and how well the touch will be implemented.  One thing I will definitely miss is the articulating LCD - tilt is nice but not in the same ballpark for versatility.

-- hide signature --

Randy

Ranlee's gear list:Ranlee's gear list
Canon PowerShot G1 X II Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM5 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS Panasonic 20mm F1.7 II +5 more
Elemental Photography
Contributing MemberPosts: 670Gear list
Like?
Zero interest here

I'm interested in interchangeable lens cameras because the lenses are interchangeable, not because of an arbitrary sensor size. I do have an integrated camera because it does things my system cameras cannot (go swimming, mainly).
--
A photograph is a creative interpretation of reality.

Elemental Photography's gear list:Elemental Photography's gear list
Pentax Optio WG-2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH +7 more
Steen Bay
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,428
Like?

Also..  multi-aspect ratio sensor like e.g. Panasonic GH2 (though, just 4:3 and 3:2). Add-on EVF.

Ontario Gone
Senior MemberPosts: 4,150Gear list
Like?

I think a lot of people are going to mistakenly buy GX1s and wonder where the Canon logo is.

-- hide signature --

"Run to the light, Carol Anne. Run as fast as you can!"

Ontario Gone's gear list:Ontario Gone's gear list
Nikon D7000 Canon EOS 70D Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G Canon EF 40mm f/2.8 STM
JeanPierre Martel
Senior MemberPosts: 2,085Gear list
Like?
Too late

Canon is still a market leader, like IBM was 30 years ago. It has huge number of very talented people working for that company. But it's leaders are petrified. Unable to react quickly to the turmoil of a market shaken by a technological revolution: the advent of mirrorless cameras.

The big-sensor P&S cameras is a good idea but that's too late. All the P&S market will be eaten by Smart phones (at the low-end) and by ILCs (at the other end).

Of course, many naive people will pay 800$ for that. But as soon as they will be more knowledgeable about photography, they'll realize that they made a very bad deal.

In a couple of years, Canon will eventually give unsold unit at discount price. And at 100$-250$, it will be a good deal. But 800$: LOL !!!

JeanPierre Martel's gear list:JeanPierre Martel's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm 1:2.8 Macro Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 +22 more
xMichaelx
Regular MemberPosts: 120
Like?

As someone who mostly uses his camera to take snapshots (rather than real, artistic photographs) and is often in low-light places (bars, streets at night, etc.) this seems like the camera I've been waiting for with 2 caveats:

1. EVF isn't "optional" for me. I've had WAY too many daylight pics ruined by not being able to see the screen on my EPL2, and I refuse to carry around yet another piece of equipment that should have come with my camera to begin with. No built-in viewfinder, no sale.
  2. At this point, I have too many m4/3 lenses to justify switching. 

So while this camera interests me, I won't be buying it. If I really wanted a compact, Fuji would still be my first choice.

But it looks like I'll be buying the EM-10 when the price drops a little.

honeyiscool
Senior MemberPosts: 1,002Gear list
Like?

I don't know why everyone is hating on it. I think it's a tremendous camera. It addresses so many things I've wanted in a compact camera.

First of all, a good fastish lens that goes all the way to 24mm. Something the RX100 never gave me. A tilt screen that goes 180 degrees for those shots that 25 year old girls always want to take. Touch screen! Something that RX100 nor X20 gave me. And if the EOS M did one thing right, it had a really good touch screen. It looks like it can do 1080p video at 30 fps, which is pretty good.

As for the Stylus 1, f/2.8 just isn't fast enough for me, not at 1/1.7" but here's a camera that has a sensor even bigger than my GH3. I've been going around with the 12-35mm on my GH3 a lot because it's the only wide angle I have. This could help me go around with a lighter prime and maybe a lighter camera while I can take the Canon for wide angle shots and movies, because Canon cameras usually take excellent video in my experience.

Plus, it's honestly cheap at the price they're asking. RX100 II is only $100 less and has a much less impressive lens and a much smaller sensor. Plus, EM10 is great, but you need a lens for it. To get a lens that can rival the G1X lens will cost you a pretty fortune. I think for any situation where I need speed, gotta go for my GH3, but for any social setting, a G1X should excel.

honeyiscool's gear list:honeyiscool's gear list
Olympus E-PL7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH +3 more
Dheorl
Like?
Re: Too late
In reply to JeanPierre Martel, 10 months ago

JeanPierre Martel wrote:

Canon is still a market leader, like IBM was 30 years ago. It has huge number of very talented people working for that company. But it's leaders are petrified. Unable to react quickly to the turmoil of a market shaken by a technological revolution: the advent of mirrorless cameras.

The big-sensor P&S cameras is a good idea but that's too late. All the P&S market will be eaten by Smart phones (at the low-end) and by ILCs (at the other end).

When smartphones can match the performance of the current large sensor compacts that might happen, atm though they're nowhere near so I think companies still have a fair window to make money from them.

Also I see a lot of photographers who have a large DSLR and the a small but larger sensor compact. I don't see phones replacing that.

Of course, many naive people will pay 800$ for that. But as soon as they will be more knowledgeable about photography, they'll realize that they made a very bad deal.

In a couple of years, Canon will eventually give unsold unit at discount price. And at 100$-250$, it will be a good deal. But 800$: LOL !!!

I think it's a pretty fair price for what you're getting tbh.

honeyiscool
Like?
Re: Too late
In reply to Dheorl, 10 months ago

Dheorl wrote:

JeanPierre Martel wrote:

When smartphones can match the performance of the current large sensor compacts that might happen, atm though they're nowhere near so I think companies still have a fair window to make money from them.

Also I see a lot of photographers who have a large DSLR and the a small but larger sensor compact. I don't see phones replacing that.

I think it's a pretty fair price for what you're getting tbh.

Yeah, I actually think $800 is a really good deal by M43 standards. I mean, the only fast wide angle we have is... $800, and Canon gives you a lens that has those specs at the wide end, plus it zooms. And has a sensor bigger than a 4/3" sensor behind it. So how is that overpriced?

Olympus E-PL7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH +3 more
Jorginho
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,585Gear list
Like?
Of no particular interest to me. 4/3 sensor is meaningless

The 4/3 sensorformat is of interest because it means smaller interchangable lenses. This is not an interchangable cam, so it might be 1", 2"etc.

I am really prejudiced btw. Anything Canon comes up with evoes zero interest in me. One day, I will be wronged by canon for sure. But their sensor underperform underperform and underperform. Their AF is below par, like their sensor (in these kind of cams). Their innovativity is below par too. To me, canon is just blaaahhhh.

I am interested in Sony, Fuji and m43 cams mostly because all these cams do something different and most of the times it is something good.

Jorginho's gear list:Jorginho's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Olympus PEN E-PL5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 Panasonic 12-35mm F2.8 +9 more
honeyiscool
Like?
Re: Of no particular interest to me. 4/3 sensor is meaningless
In reply to Jorginho, 10 months ago

Jorginho wrote:

The 4/3 sensorformat is of interest because it means smaller interchangable lenses. This is not an interchangable cam, so it might be 1", 2"etc.

I am really prejudiced btw. Anything Canon comes up with evoes zero interest in me. One day, I will be wronged by canon for sure. But their sensor underperform underperform and underperform. Their AF is below par, like their sensor (in these kind of cams). Their innovativity is below par too. To me, canon is just blaaahhhh.

I am interested in Sony, Fuji and m43 cams mostly because all these cams do something different and most of the times it is something good.

G1X series has a bigger sensor than 4/3".

I know we all feel jaded about Canon but if this is as good as it looks on paper, it is a huge threat to MFT cameras. Many people never buy anything better than a kit lens, and the lens on the G1X is much better than any MFT kit lens, and with a bigger sensor. Macro down to 5 cm. It delivers exactly what a lot of people want from a compact camera but in a more serious package than an RX100. Perhaps it's the camera Sony should have made instead of the RX10.

Jim Salvas
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,118Gear list
Like?

If I wanted a compact fixed lens camera without a viewfinder, I would think about it. I don't want one of those, therefore I don't think about it.

-- hide signature --

Jim Salvas

Jim Salvas's gear list:Jim Salvas's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Olympus PEN E-PM2 Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75mm 1:1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 II R +7 more
Cipher
Senior MemberPosts: 2,430Gear list
Like?
Canon is boring...

my last Canon camera was an S95.  I still have it.  I've not purchased another Canon since because they're not all that innovative anymore.  Canon seems to be stuck with their old sensors which have long been over leaped by everyone else.  I played with a G1X and found the focus speed to be way too frustratingly slow.  Once you're used to DSLR or Panasonic/Olympus m43 focus speeds, it's hard to go to something that's slower.

Cipher's gear list:Cipher's gear list
Sony RX100 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Nikon D700 Nikon D800 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 +12 more
nevada5
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,428Gear list
Like?
I'd like to see it

I have a G1X and I'd be interested in looking at it's replacement.  What the camera has going for it is exceptional IQ, an all-in-one package that includes a sharp and useful zoom.

My issues with the G1X are poor DR, slow response times and the three-axis articulating LCD.  Fix them and you have my attention.

I don't foresee giving up my GX7, but when I do a comparison of metadata in LR, I note that I have very few images taken past a FL of about 100mm equiv. So do I need to have an interchangeable-lens camera?  I've been wondering that for 40+ years.

-- hide signature --

Life is short - drive a convertible.
Tolerance is the last virtue of a dying society. Aristotle

nevada5's gear list:nevada5's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P330 Samsung NX300M Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7
Don Karner
Contributing MemberPosts: 831Gear list
Like?

Not much.  I think my G6 with fully articulating touch screen, nice EVF, fun Exp comp rocker switch and higher resolution simply kicks the Canon's butt.  (And i even like Canon).  I like my Panny G6 even more.

-- hide signature --

Ol' Don in Broken Arrow

Don Karner's gear list:Don Karner's gear list
Canon PowerShot SX230 HS Canon EOS M Nikon D5300 Canon EF-M 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM Canon EF-M 22mm f/2 STM +5 more
Fredrik Glckner
Senior MemberPosts: 2,810
Like?

When the G1 X was released, I noted that the sensor had exactly the same properties as the GH1 sensor:

http://m43photo.blogspot.com/2012/02/canon-g1x-sensor-size-same-as-gh1.html

The only difference being that the G1 X used the whole sensor, slightly larger than the Four Thirds size, due to the multi aspect sensor of the GH1.

Looking at the specs, it appears that the G1 X II uses a sensor of a similar size, so it is probably again from Panasonic. Why else would they use exactly this size? It's not like a lot of sensors are being made in these sizes.

Dheorl
Like?
In reply to Fredrik Glckner, 10 months ago

Fredrik Glckner wrote:

When the G1 X was released, I noted that the sensor had exactly the same properties as the GH1 sensor:

http://m43photo.blogspot.com/2012/02/canon-g1x-sensor-size-same-as-gh1.html

The only difference being that the G1 X used the whole sensor, slightly larger than the Four Thirds size, due to the multi aspect sensor of the GH1.

Looking at the specs, it appears that the G1 X II uses a sensor of a similar size, so it is probably again from Panasonic. Why else would they use exactly this size? It's not like a lot of sensors are being made in these sizes.

I dunno, from what I recall the GX1 had exactly the same pixel characteristics as the larger canon sensors, meaning people thought it was just a cut down version of those.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads