14mm or 23mm... (and I hardly ever do this)

Started 10 months ago | Questions
Jim Radcliffe
Forum ProPosts: 11,418Gear list
Like?
14mm or 23mm... (and I hardly ever do this)
10 months ago

I would really like to take advantage of the current discounts on both of these lenses but not having had my hands on either one I find it difficult to choose..  I like fast glass.. both lenses seem to be very good in all respects... but I'm not sure I can justify buying both at this time.

These two cost about the same amount of money so that is not an issue.

I rarely ask for others to help me make a decision but in this case I am going to do so.

If you have the time, please list the reasons you would buy one or the other... thanks!  I look forward to your input and your help in keeping me from buying both due to GAS.

-- hide signature --

Jim Radcliffe
http://www.boxedlight.com
The ability to 'see' the shot is more important than the gear used to capture it.

Jim Radcliffe's gear list:Jim Radcliffe's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Fujifilm X-Pro1 Pentax K-5 IIs Fujifilm X-E2 +6 more
ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
brooklyn geezer
Forum MemberPosts: 97
Like?
Re: 14mm or 23mm... (and I hardly ever do this)
In reply to Jim Radcliffe, 10 months ago

Im looking forward to this one! Which lens' do you shoot with now?

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
MostlyUnoriginal
Regular MemberPosts: 269Gear list
Like?

I recently chose between these two after selling some nikon gear... i chose the 23. for me that choice came down mostly to the fact that 90% of my pictures these days are of my kids, and the 23 has worked out really well for this.

but, i also feel like shooting really wide well is very difficult. in the past i've found myself shooting a lot really wide for the 'jeepers - that looks neat' kind of feeling i got from the unnatural perspective, but the photos weren't really good, they were just wide.

just one man's opinion (and unique perspective)

-- hide signature --
 MostlyUnoriginal's gear list:MostlyUnoriginal's gear list
Fujifilm X-E2 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 27mm F2.8 +5 more
vkphoto
Senior MemberPosts: 1,626
Like?

Jim,

all I can say is that 14/2.8 is an extraordinary lens. Optically is good as Distagon T* 2,8/21 on FF.

-- hide signature --
juvx
Contributing MemberPosts: 738Gear list
Like?
In reply to vkphoto, 10 months ago

What other lenses do you currently have for the fuji system?

juvx's gear list:juvx's gear list
Sony RX100 II Nikon D750 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 85mm f/1.4G +2 more
bigpigbig
Senior MemberPosts: 1,681Gear list
Like?

Jim Radcliffe wrote:

I would really like to take advantage of the current discounts on both of these lenses but not having had my hands on either one I find it difficult to choose.. I like fast glass.. both lenses seem to be very good in all respects... but I'm not sure I can justify buying both at this time.

I rarely ask for others to help me make a decision but in this case I am going to do so.

If you have the time, please list the reasons you would buy one or the other... thanks! I look forward to your input and your help in keeping me from buying both due to GAS.

-- hide signature --

Jim Radcliffe
The ability to 'see' the shot is more important than the gear used to capture it.

No one can help you. You are doomed to buy both.

Just open you wallet and pull out the dead presidents.

In all honesty, 21mm and 35mm are very different in angle of view. You should get the one you'd use most (first).

bigpigbig's gear list:bigpigbig's gear list
Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm X-T1 Nikon D810 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +12 more
Mike in Kansas
Contributing MemberPosts: 624Gear list
Like?

If I had the 18-55 and felt that there are times where I want wider, I'd go with the 14mm as you already have the 23mm focal length covered in the zoom.  If I DIDN'T have the 18-55, I may go for the 23mm initially, as that focal length suits my shooting style better.  OR if I have the 18-55 and see that most of my shots are in the 20-30 range I would also go for the 23mm due to better IQ and bokeh.

I have a Sigma 10-20 for my Nikon D300 that hardly ever gets used, where my 24-60 got used frequently (before it broke).  I would have replaced the 24-60 with a 17-55 / 17-70 if I weren't getting into the X System; however, I opted to change systems versus adding more glass to my Nikon kit.

Mike in Kansas's gear list:Mike in Kansas's gear list
Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 27mm F2.8 Nikon D50 Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D +2 more
Al Valentino
Senior MemberPosts: 4,385Gear list
Like?

14mm over the 23mm because it compliments my 18-55 zoom very nicely - and it also takes the same hood and filter size as the zoom. The 23mm is a gem but  I rarely need to shoot wide open at that FL so its virtue is lost for me, whereas the 14mm adds an additional perspective. Of course only you can decide which you need, the 23mm perspective  or the 14mm. Wide is great for dramatic compositions and architectural shots

-- hide signature --

Fuji Silver XE1 w/14, 35, 18-55, 55-200, Rokinon 8mm Fisheye & Tamron 90mm f/2.8 Macro

Al Valentino's gear list:Al Valentino's gear list
Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS +8 more
viking79
Forum ProPosts: 13,798Gear list
Like?

The 14mm is an excellent lens, but to me I think I would prefer the large aperture of the 23mm. That being said I don't really like the 23mm focal length all that much (depends on what I am using it for). The 14mm I think would be better for architecture and the 23mm for environmental portraits.

I haven't tested the 23mm, but I really liked the 14mm: http://erphotoreview.com/wordpress/?p=3862

The Zeiss 12mm lens is good too, but with the discounts now on the 14mm I would probably pick it instead (but the Zeiss is notably wider). When I rented the two I tended to pick up the Zeiss because of the wider field of view, but the size of the Fuji and manual focus feel is much better.

The only point to make is the 14mm will not make stars from the aperture when you stop down, it is too circular, so if you want night cityscapes with starlights you would have to add them in post with the Fuji.

I would probably buy the 10-24mm instead, but given the current discounts that is a tough decision.  The 14mm is a sweet lens for the small size and optical quality.

Eric

viking79's gear list:viking79's gear list
Sony Alpha 7R Samsung NX1 Samsung NX 30mm F2 Pancake Samsung NX 85mm F1.4 ED SSA Samsung NX 60mm F2.8 Macro ED OIS SSA +5 more
juvx
Contributing MemberPosts: 738Gear list
Like?
In reply to Mike in Kansas, 10 months ago

Mike in Kansas wrote:

If I had the 18-55 and felt that there are times where I want wider, I'd go with the 14mm as you already have the 23mm focal length covered in the zoom. If I DIDN'T have the 18-55, I may go for the 23mm initially, as that focal length suits my shooting style better. OR if I have the 18-55 and see that most of my shots are in the 20-30 range I would also go for the 23mm due to better IQ and bokeh.

I have a Sigma 10-20 for my Nikon D300 that hardly ever gets used, where my 24-60 got used frequently (before it broke). I would have replaced the 24-60 with a 17-55 / 17-70 if I weren't getting into the X System; however, I opted to change systems versus adding more glass to my Nikon kit.

I agree

If you have the kit lens. Its pretty sharp at 23mm. You'd be paying for the faster glass. However, by getting the 14mm you'd be paying for a whole new perspective one that's not possible with anything else you have.

However, if you don't plan on shooting wide that often and mainly shoot people not places id go with the 23.

It depends what your main subjects are. People or Places? (i know you can shoot either with either well, but just to narrow it down and simplify it a bit haha)

juvx's gear list:juvx's gear list
Sony RX100 II Nikon D750 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 85mm f/1.4G +2 more
Brad Evans
Contributing MemberPosts: 577Gear list
Like?
Re: What do you like to shoot?

What do you like to shoot?

Without knowing that, it's difficult to relate to your question. What I like to shoot, and the specific lens choices I've made to handle that, I suspect would have little bearing on yours.

Brad
Urban photoblog: http://www.citysnaps.net

cnmne
Regular MemberPosts: 112Gear list
Like?

I would buy the 23mm, and add the 10-24mm zoom when it is available.  A 35mm f/1.4 was my favorite lens for my FF film camera.  While the ultra-wide 20mm f/2.8 got much less use and was seldom used wide open.

cnmne's gear list:cnmne's gear list
Fujifilm X-E2 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS
SVPhotography
Regular MemberPosts: 213
Like?

I purchased the 23mm F1.4 - I am like you - I like fast glass and the 23mm is one sharp lens.

The 14mm F2.8 to me is not really what I would call fast glass for a prime. Plus I tend to use wider lenses on a tripod where large apertures don't really matter.

I am saving my money for the 10-24 F4 zoom.

Jim Radcliffe wrote:

I would really like to take advantage of the current discounts on both of these lenses but not having had my hands on either one I find it difficult to choose.. I like fast glass.. both lenses seem to be very good in all respects... but I'm not sure I can justify buying both at this time.

If you have the time, please list the reasons you would buy one or the other... thanks! I look forward to your input and your help in keeping me from buying both due to GAS.

-- hide signature --

Jim Radcliffe

Les Lammers
Senior MemberPosts: 2,218Gear list
Like?

I would not usually comment on this but I truly believe that you would enjoy and use the 14 more than the 35.

Les Lammers's gear list:Les Lammers's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Fujifilm X10 Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm XF 18mm F2 R Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R +3 more
arcaswissi99
Forum MemberPosts: 98Gear list
Like?

Jim Radcliffe wrote:

-- hide signature --

Jim Radcliffe

Hi Jim,

I´ve bought both a week ago because I return into the Fuji boat

Both lenses are great in my opinion. Unfortunately you can´t compare them.

If sharpness is everything I´d go with the 14mm which is one of the best wide angles I´ve ever tried and believe me these were quite a few. No distortion what fun not to worry about any distortion correction in Lightroom or other progs. Very good against sun for such a wide lens. Color correction! - I hate fringing and this lens is almost free of any longitudinal or lateral chrom. aberration.

If versatility is your thing, go with the 23mm. You have a lens with nice bokeh, with 1,4 perfect for reportage, really nice color rendering - softer than 14mm, also very low distortion. Unfortunately some locas which can be difficult to get rid off and without testing scientific probably a bit less sharp but no slouch - some of my last flickr photos are made with the 23mm - this one with f 2.0.

Fuji X-E1, 23/1,4 with f 2,0. As I forgot to change DR to 100, unintentionally shot with ISO 800.

For me I decided to want both plus the 56/1,2 and the 55-200. Looking forward to getting my X-T1.

-- hide signature --

Erni
www.flickr.com/photos/arcaswissi

arcaswissi99's gear list:arcaswissi99's gear list
Sigma DP1 Merrill Sigma DP2 Merrill Sigma DP3 Merrill Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1
Jim Radcliffe
Like?
In reply to brooklyn geezer, 10 months ago

brooklyn geezer wrote:

Im looking forward to this one! Which lens' do you shoot with now?

35mm, 60mm, 18mm, 18-55mm

-- hide signature --

Jim Radcliffe

Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Fujifilm X-Pro1 Pentax K-5 IIs Fujifilm X-E2 +6 more
Jim Radcliffe
Like?
In reply to juvx, 10 months ago

juvx wrote:

What other lenses do you currently have for the fuji system?

35mm, 60mm, 18mm, 18-55mm

-- hide signature --

Jim Radcliffe

Jim Radcliffe
Like?
In reply to bigpigbig, 10 months ago

bigpigbig wrote:

Jim Radcliffe wrote:

-- hide signature --

Jim Radcliffe

No one can help you. You are doomed to buy both.

Just open you wallet and pull out the dead presidents.

In all honesty, 21mm and 35mm are very different in angle of view. You should get the one you'd use most (first).

Well, for landscapes it's a no-brainer.. same for wide-field astro-photography.. the 14mm

but... the 23 is faster and offers that 35mm field of view...... sigh.

-- hide signature --

Jim Radcliffe

Jim Radcliffe
Like?
Everything...
In reply to Brad Evans, 10 months ago

Brad Evans wrote:

What do you like to shoot?

Without knowing that, it's difficult to relate to your question. What I like to shoot, and the specific lens choices I've made to handle that, I suspect would have little bearing on yours.

Brad
Urban photoblog: http://www.citysnaps.net

Brad, I shoot everything.. really.  A visit to my website will bear this out.  I shoot landscapes, wide-field astro, portraits, macros, seascapes, strange objects, concerts, night work.. you name it.  I shoot anything I find to be interesting, beautiful, wide or up close... that's why I have the problem in making the decision.

-- hide signature --

Jim Radcliffe

Jim Radcliffe
Like?
In reply to Les Lammers, 10 months ago

Les Lammers wrote:

I would not usually comment on this but I truly believe that you would enjoy and use the 14 more than the 35.

Thanks, Les... I guess you are basing this on some of the stuff you've seen me shoot... and in a way, I agree.

-- hide signature --

Jim Radcliffe

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads