PLEASE STOP Hawking That guy

Started 9 months ago | Discussions
bikinchris
Forum ProPosts: 14,883Gear list
Like?
PLEASE STOP Hawking That guy
9 months ago

People seem to have a need to run on here and brodcast every comment, nuance and life lesson from "that guy." You all know who he is. There are at least three seperate threads quoting his "review" of the D4S, which he has not ever seen.

Why? All HE does is post stupid, controversial stuff to draw hits. You folks not only drive his hits, you come on here and hawk his outrageous posts and sometimes even post links.

Please stop promoting that sideshow.

-- hide signature --

"Transport is a subtly political business. Left-wingers like trains
(central planning, low fuel consumption, largely egalitarian seating).
Right-wingers like cars (freedom, independence, individualism). Only
the bicycle crosses the political divide: it embodies both liberty
and equality." This is the first paragraph from a short article titled
"The Bicycle is Best" by Emma Duncan

bikinchris's gear list:bikinchris's gear list
Nikon D2H Nikon D3 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 17-35mm f/2.8D ED-IF Nikon AF-S Nikkor 28-70mm f/2.8 ED-IF Nikon AF-S Nikkor 200-400mm f/4G ED-IF VR +1 more
Nikon D4
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
scokill
Senior MemberPosts: 1,726Gear list
Like?
Re: PLEASE STOP Hawking That guy
In reply to bikinchris, 9 months ago

Since everybody knows who "that guy" is, you are doing the same thing.  I like his lens database though, but I come on here and listen to all the really smart people that post....;-)

scokill's gear list:scokill's gear list
Nikon D610 Nikon Df Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
T O Shooter
Senior MemberPosts: 2,188Gear list
Like?
Are you referring to Ken Rockwell,

the best freakin' Nikon reviewer on the web???

Just had to do it. You opened yourself to that one. If I had more time I'd post a link  

-- hide signature --

Photography - I do it for passion, not for a buck! It's just better that way.

T O Shooter's gear list:T O Shooter's gear list
Canon PowerShot G5
afterburn
Contributing MemberPosts: 796Gear list
Like?

bikinchris wrote:

People seem to have a need to run on here and brodcast every comment, nuance and life lesson from "that guy." You all know who he is. There are at least three seperate threads quoting his "review" of the D4S, which he has not ever seen.

Why? All HE does is post stupid, controversial stuff to draw hits. You folks not only drive his hits, you come on here and hawk his outrageous posts and sometimes even post links.

Chill man, for the majority of people here KR reviews are as good or bad as any.

Typical DPR mentality:

Site X reviews Camera Y positive -> DPR Camera Y forum cheer and tout great review

Site X reviews Camera Y negative -> DPR Camera Y forum slashes Site X, they're wrong, they didn't test correctly and Site X always sucked anyway and none of their review have any meaning or value.

It is best to steer completely clear of any review or mention of a review here on DPR forums and just go about your own business and make up your own mind. You can even read all the reviews you want in peace, just don't get lured into discussing them here, or participating in one on here.

-- hide signature --

Gijs from The Netherlands
Nikon D800

afterburn's gear list:afterburn's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm f/4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G Apple Aperture +2 more
user_name
Senior MemberPosts: 2,782Gear list
Like?
Time for Popcorn

and a front row seat.

user_name's gear list:user_name's gear list
Leica M8 Nikon D700 Nikon D800
fotolopithecus
Senior MemberPosts: 1,699Gear list
Like?

bikinchris wrote:

-- hide signature --

Chris the question occurs, who gives a damn what Rockwell does, and why do you waste your time being so concerned with it.

fotolopithecus's gear list:fotolopithecus's gear list
Nikon D610 Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G
bikinchris
Like?
In reply to fotolopithecus, 9 months ago

bikinchris wrote:

-- hide signature --

Chris the question occurs, who gives a damn what Rockwell does, and why do you waste your time being so concerned with it.

I could just as well ask the same of anything.
If this guy was serious or even trying to be serious, I would leave it alone.

-- hide signature --

Nikon D2H Nikon D3 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 17-35mm f/2.8D ED-IF Nikon AF-S Nikkor 28-70mm f/2.8 ED-IF Nikon AF-S Nikkor 200-400mm f/4G ED-IF VR +1 more
Rbrt
Regular MemberPosts: 127Gear list
Like?

bikinchris wrote:

"Transport is a subtly political business. Left-wingers like trains...

Only the bicycle crosses the political divide: it embodies both liberty and equality."

I've got news for you. Right wingers absolutely HATE bicycles.

Rbrt's gear list:Rbrt's gear list
Nikon D610 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 85mm f/1.8G Sigma 35mm F1.4 DG HSM
bikinchris
Like?
In reply to Rbrt, 9 months ago

bikinchris wrote:

Only the bicycle crosses the political divide: it embodies both liberty and equality."

Do you really think that is news to me? I have been working for bicycle advocacy for 37 years. In Louisiana no less. "If it's not oilfield, it ain't &4/#." Is what I hear.
The only right wingers here who tolerate cycling are the ones who ride.

-- hide signature --

T O Shooter
Senior MemberPosts: 2,188Gear list
Like?
Hey, Ken likes bikes - something in common.

bikinchris wrote:

bikinchris wrote:

Do you really think that is news to me? I have been working for bicycle advocacy for 37 years. In Louisiana no less. "If it's not oilfield, it ain't &4/#." Is what I hear.

-- hide signature --

I might have made that up though! 

-- hide signature --

T O Shooter's gear list:T O Shooter's gear list
Canon PowerShot G5
dog house riley
Regular MemberPosts: 219Gear list
Like?

I know how his comments can and do get under peoples skin! I too feel that way at times, he jumps to this camera and that back and forth and then to film, yup makes you mad. Well in his favor I like to go to his lens and camera history, it helps me decide just how a lens may or may not benefit me, from his lens history i just purchased a Nikon 20 35 2.8 with hood, and I love it, I didn't have the money to spend on newer Nikon models-17 35 or 16 35, so for a fraction of the cost I bought the 20 35. I also bought a 70 210 D 4 5.6 lens, I have the 70 300VR, but many times its bulky, and long before I heard of KR, I had friends tell me to get the 70 210 lens, so after all these years I did!

I'm not loaded with funds like most posters on DP my pockets aren't near as deep, and not like most posters here there is a limit to how much I can spend, when I see the gear lists of most of these folks I can't imagine  spending that much money on equipment, and KR has good listings of older Nikon equipment and being used, its easy to purchase, and i get as much fun, use, and with the older gear and I'm very satisfied with the results I get.

But KR does get on your nerves with his on going tests of equipment when its not even on the street yet, so when the D4s is available we'll see how his vision really is?

Thanks      "dog house riley"

dog house riley's gear list:dog house riley's gear list
Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 II Nikon D90 Nikon D2X Nikon D200 Nikon D700 +12 more
bikinchris
Like?
Good one
In reply to T O Shooter, 9 months ago

T O Shooter wrote:

bikinchris wrote:

bikinchris wrote:

-- hide signature --

I might have made that up though! 

Good one. I don't hate the guy as a person. He might be fun to hang around etc. But to endorse or advance his shenanigans as honest information? No way.

-- hide signature --

-- hide signature --

MisterHairy
Senior MemberPosts: 1,392Gear list
Like?

I love Ken Rockwell because he winds up most of the self appointed "experts" on this forum. I also love the fact that I have heard of him, yet have no idea who they are, even though they must be fantastic photographers. They must be to be so free with their criticisms.

MisterHairy's gear list:MisterHairy's gear list
Nikon D700 Nikon Df Nikon D810 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24mm f/1.4G ED +15 more
wasserball
Senior MemberPosts: 2,578Gear list
Like?
Another sideshow.

You just started another sideshow. I always go to him first.  He makes sense while the other guys go overboard with their opinions because they got more wind than Ken.  Go, Ken, love ya.

wasserball's gear list:wasserball's gear list
Kenko Teleplus Pro 300 AF 1.4x Nikon D3S Nikon D600 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 400mm f/2.8G ED VR II +3 more
golf1982
Contributing MemberPosts: 660
Like?
In reply to MisterHairy, 9 months ago

MisterHairy wrote:

I love Ken Rockwell because he winds up most of the self appointed "experts" on this forum. I also love the fact that I have heard of him, yet have no idea who they are, even though they must be fantastic photographers. They must be to be so free with their criticisms.

There are many people you will have heard of for bad reasons, having heard of someone is a terrible way to judge their competence.

wasserball
Senior MemberPosts: 2,578Gear list
Like?

Think about it.  I have a D3s.  Do I want to pay $6000 (my estimate for the D4s), sell my D3s for about $3500 so I can shoot "better" sports photos for $2500 more?  Do you think my money grow on trees?

wasserball's gear list:wasserball's gear list
Kenko Teleplus Pro 300 AF 1.4x Nikon D3S Nikon D600 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 400mm f/2.8G ED VR II +3 more
MisterHairy
Senior MemberPosts: 1,392Gear list
Like?
In reply to golf1982, 9 months ago

golf1982 wrote:

MisterHairy wrote:

There are many people you will have heard of for bad reasons, having heard of someone is a terrible way to judge their competence.

Better to make a bad impression than no impression at all.

MisterHairy's gear list:MisterHairy's gear list
Nikon D700 Nikon Df Nikon D810 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24mm f/1.4G ED +15 more
golf1982
Like?
In reply to MisterHairy, 9 months ago

MisterHairy wrote:

golf1982 wrote:

MisterHairy wrote:

Better to make a bad impression than no impression at all.

Take a look in the media for 5 minutes. The answer is NO

golf1982
Like?
Re: Another sideshow.
In reply to wasserball, 9 months ago

wasserball wrote:

You just started another sideshow. I always go to him first. He makes sense while the other guys go overboard with their opinions because they got more wind than Ken. Go, Ken, love ya.

Do you, like Ken shoot with the camera set to 6ish mp, medium quality JPEG, with saturation turned to max and  always in program mode? If that is the sort of advise you want then you have found the right place for you.

Shotcents
Senior MemberPosts: 3,981Gear list
Like?
Ken Rockwell is terrific!

Right in his introduction KR States clearly that his website is a "work of fiction" and "his aggressive opinion" and "not a logical presentation of fact."

Man, it's right there in B&W.

There's a TON of useful info on his site and most of it is correct. I bet all of the critics here have used his info more than once!

So here are the facts, for you Pavlovian pooches and pawns. He's making great money with his passion and mostly helping people. His site is not leading anyone astray, unless they are paramountly stupid to begin with. His biggest critics are simply jealous, envious and lacking in any creativity to do what he's done. He's one person with a HUGE audience, while other sites have a STAFF fighting for a shred of online real estate.

Do you think he's worried about a bunch of cry babies on a few forums?

BTW, I've contacted him on several points over the years and he's always responded cheerfully and politely; something this forum can't manage very often. I disagree with him at about the same rate as any other review site.

Cheers,

Robert

Shotcents's gear list:Shotcents's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P7700 Nikon D800 Nikon D5200 Nikon Df Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II +10 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads