Started 7 months ago | Discussions
sean lancaster
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,319Gear list
Like?
Re: A6000 first picture
In reply to Donny out of Element here, 7 months ago

Donny out of Element here wrote:

Alohaman wrote:

Shouldn't the A6000 been announced in London already? Or am I one day off?

It's 9 p.m. in London now. A6k will be announced at 4 a.m. London time, so we still have to wait 7 hours.

FYI - 11 PM in Eastern time (USA).

-- hide signature --
 sean lancaster's gear list:sean lancaster's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony Alpha 7 Voigtlander 35mm F1.2 Nokton Sony FE 55mm F1.8 +2 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Donny out of Element here
Contributing MemberPosts: 693Gear list
Like?
In reply to sean lancaster, 7 months ago

sean lancaster wrote:

Donny out of Element here wrote:

Alohaman wrote:

Shouldn't the A6000 been announced in London already? Or am I one day off?

It's 9 p.m. in London now. A6k will be announced at 4 a.m. London time, so we still have to wait 7 hours.

FYI - 11 PM in Eastern time (USA).

-- hide signature --

Yep. Same thing. Still 7 hours of wait.

captura
Forum ProPosts: 14,016Gear list
Like?
In reply to davect01, 7 months ago

+1

Correct.

captura's gear list:captura's gear list
Fujifilm X10 Sony Alpha NEX-7 Samsung NX1000 NEX5R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R +10 more
captura
Like?
In reply to davect01, 7 months ago

davect01 wrote:

Looks like a great camera, at a great price.

One more source:

http://www.cameraegg.org/sony-a6000-images-specs/

Hybrid of the 6 and 7, with the step down shutter button of the F3.

That's just Newegg saying so. Obvious to me is that it is a replacement for the NEX-6 but NOT the NEX-7.

While not interested in giving up my 6, I am glad to see the NEX form is not being given up on, (despite the constant rumormongering and "A salesperson at the Sony Store told me" comments).

Good!

Just what I thought. An A7 style line and and NEX style line will continue.

It is encouraging.

-- hide signature --

Novice photobug. Former 3 and F3 owner. Current proud 6 owner.
http://davesnex-3photos.blogspot.com/

A notable statement they made, if true:

"Fastest AF of all E-mount cameras"

Fujifilm X10 Sony Alpha NEX-7 Samsung NX1000 NEX5R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R +10 more
jpr2
Forum ProPosts: 13,786Gear list
Like?
Steve: how are your snowstorms, still raging gala force :) ??
In reply to captura, 7 months ago

captura wrote:

well, there is always some hope, although "fastest of all E-mounts" doesn't necessarily mean truly fast, esp. for highly dynamic action scenes shooting & tracking - am keeping my fingers crossed (but not hanging my hopes very high = that announcement arrived suspiciously close on heels of the Fuji XT-1 apparently very good results; too close not to be suspected of being marketing blurb rather than a reality - we'll see in few weeks when [perhaps] some first result from independent sources will pop up),

jpr2

captura
Like?
In reply to areichow, 7 months ago

areichow wrote:

Thank the gods for our brave forum signature warriors! LOL

And your meaning is supposed to be some kind of trite sarcastic remark, or something really helpful to the forum?

chromnd
Regular MemberPosts: 348Gear list
Like?
1.400K dot EVF?!
In reply to j0sh, 7 months ago

http://www.sonyalpharumors.com/sr5-a6000-evf-and-phase-detection-specs-announcement-at-4am-london-time/

SAR says the A6000 has a 1.400K dot EVF. The NEX-6 has a 2.300K dot viewfinder. I wonder if this is correct? "Upgrading" to a lower resolution does not make so much sense to me.

chromnd's gear list:chromnd's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony DT 35mm F1.8 SAM Sony E 18-200mm F3.5-6.3 OSS Samyang 85mm F1.4 Aspherical IF Sony Carl Zeiss Sonnar T* E 24mm F1.8 ZA +5 more
captura
Like?
In reply to 123Mike, 7 months ago

123Mike wrote:

I briefly looked at what E-mount could do for me, but I have the impression that the lenses are so crappy and so limited and the acceptable ones so expensive, that I'm not getting why anyone that cares for image quality would pick over an E-mount over an A-mount camera, except if size really matters, and/or people use the adapters a lot. Is that what most people use, those adapters?

Maybe you should do some lens comparisons between A lenses and E lenses on DxO. That should change your mind. Also E-mount bodies feature metal construction and body mounts, while most A lenses are very cheap.

Please inform others on the A mount forum.

Donny out of Element here
Contributing MemberPosts: 693Gear list
Like?
Re: 1.400K dot EVF?!
In reply to chromnd, 7 months ago

chromnd wrote:

http://www.sonyalpharumors.com/sr5-a6000-evf-and-phase-detection-specs-announcement-at-4am-london-time/

SAR says the A6000 has a 1.400K dot EVF. The NEX-6 has a 2.300K dot viewfinder. I wonder if this is correct? "Upgrading" to a lower resolution does not make so much sense to me.

Main upgrade is 24Mp sensor and improved OSPDAF. BIONZ-X chip also contributes to faster general processing and cleaner images overall (more so for jpeg shooters). We haven't seen back dial yet. There may be some surprises!

captura
Like?

They cost what they are worth. I own 2 Canon rebels. Their lenses perform well but are built of the cheapest imaginable construction and materials. Unless you pay more for the better ones.

No problem; with E-mount cameras we can adapt all of the good Canon or other lenses, too. I am getting an EF 85mm either 1.8 or 1.2, which I will use on my NEX-5R.

wictred
Contributing MemberPosts: 953Gear list
Like?

captura wrote:

who have earned their keep on the forum, through useful productive diligence.

so what happened?

wictred's gear list:wictred's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony a6000 Sigma 19mm F2.8 EX DN Sony E 35mm F1.8 OSS Sigma 60mm F2.8 DN +3 more
captura
Like?
Re: Steve: how are your snowstorms, still raging gala force :) ??
In reply to jpr2, 7 months ago

jpr2 wrote:

captura wrote:

well, there is always some hope, although "fastest of all E-mounts" doesn't necessarily mean truly fast, esp. for highly dynamic action scenes shooting & tracking - am keeping my fingers crossed (but not hanging my hopes very high = that announcement arrived suspiciously close on heels of the Fuji XT-1 apparently very good results; too close not to be suspected of being marketing blurb rather than a reality - we'll see in few weeks when [perhaps] some first result from independent sources will pop up),

jpr2

Hi jpr.

No snow for now, but ranging between -9C (day) and -20C (nightime.) Wering a heavy down parka, 5 layers. Take gloves off for 5 minutes and my hands start to freeze. I have plans to do those tests...ned to go down to the lake where they have a doggypark and obliging owners...no-one there right now. Worst winter I can remember, what's up with that? I figure the jetstreams travel lopsided. One year it's high on this side, the next year they're high over in Yourp.

Now a thought...why don't Sony install Art Filter like some of the other makers? And ND filters, too? It's a neat thing, sometimes.

Regards,

Steve

CalvinLayne
Junior MemberPosts: 28Gear list
Like?

CalvinLayne wrote:

nevercat wrote:

CalvinLayne wrote:

After a few lens switches the black mount is gonna be full of unsightly scratches ugh there goes my planned update.

WOW update from what camera? I see only Canon on your gear list....

Then when you use your camera the only scratches will be on the front of the mount, that is always under the lens you use, so you won't see it. this is the most ridiculous reason not to buy a camera. When you don't like Sony, that is a good reason not to buy it, but the cr@p you tell is not more then funny!

I'd be updating from the nex 5t. I'm rather picky when it comes to camera bodies, I can't stand anodized metal anywhere on the body because of how easy it scratches. If a silver option is available though I'd make an exception since it conceals scratches better. It's a personal thing but I like to resell bodies when I upgrade so keeping it in near mint is second nature to me and anodized parts make it that much harder lol.

Hi. I'd be really interested in your reasons for updating from the NEX-5T.
 Thanks.

The lack of a viewfinder is the only reason. The IQ is great but I do a lot of out door shooting with off camera flash so I can't really substitute that slot to use the optional viewfinder. I may just upgrade to the nex 6 since the mount turned me off the a6000. The 5t is good for studio use where you don't need the viewfinder though.

CalvinLayne's gear list:CalvinLayne's gear list
A3000
saintz
Regular MemberPosts: 496Gear list
Like?

123Mike wrote:

I briefly looked at what E-mount could do for me, but I have the impression that the lenses are so crappy and so limited and the acceptable ones so expensive, that I'm not getting why anyone that cares for image quality would pick over an E-mount over an A-mount camera, except if size really matters, and/or people use the adapters a lot. Is that what most people use, those adapters?

The E Mounts generally have better IQ than the A mounts. They have no mirror to reduce image quality (by losing light and forcing higher ISO or lower shutter), although depending on your style of photography this may or may not be significant. The lenses are also generally optically fantastic. The SEL50 is the sharpest lens I've used, which includes Canon L and other lenses costing much more. Many of the E mount options are cheaper, smaller, and optically better, both body and lens.

For example, A3000 + SEL50 = $500

A58 (same sensor) + SAL50 = $550

The A3000 will have better low light performance (and the lens is sharper and better for video), the A58 better AF. Which is more important?

Not always true, however.

NEX 7 + SEL35= $1,100

A65 (same sensor) + SAL35 = $600

It really depends on your needs.

saintz's gear list:saintz's gear list
Sony a6000 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS
blue_skies
Senior MemberPosts: 7,051Gear list
Like?
Re: Then it is the Nex-7 tri-navi downgraded to dual-navi ...
In reply to jpr2, 7 months ago

jpr2 wrote:

from SAR

• if true then gonne are the dreams of A7-like UI and external controls
  • which would affect configurability/flexibility;
  • and of course many structure/options;

also some specs:

• 24.3MP Exmor APS HD CMOS sensos;
  • image processing engine BIONZ X;
  • LCD 921,000 dot 3.0-inch. tiltable;
  • kit lens 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 OSS;
  • double kit 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 OSS + 55-210mm F4.5-6.3 OSS;

jpr2

So it appears that one of the Nex-7 navigation buttons becomes a permanent "mode" button then.

I guess it makes sense, in most modes this button is only EV function.

The Nex-6 button layout is easier to work, although it is bulkier, the Nex-7 layout looks 'slicker'.

But, essentially, it is a Nex-6 update.

I wonder if it will get the AF/MF lock button.

-- hide signature --

Cheers,
Henry

blue_skies's gear list:blue_skies's gear list
Canon PowerShot S95 Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony Alpha 7 Sony a6000 +30 more
forpetessake
Senior MemberPosts: 3,542
Like?

chromnd wrote:

I wouldn't be surprised if that were correct. It looks like Sony decided to make Axxxx series as cheap as possible, cutting all the 'luxury' items from NEX series, only putting the newer sensors inside. A3000 is below NEX-3*, A5000 is below NEX-5*, A6000 is likely also below NEX-6.

nevercat
Senior MemberPosts: 2,336
Like?
In reply to forpetessake, 7 months ago

forpetessake wrote:

chromnd wrote:

I wouldn't be surprised if that were correct. It looks like Sony decided to make Axxxx series as cheap as possible, cutting all the 'luxury' items from NEX series, only putting the newer sensors inside. A3000 is below NEX-3*, A5000 is below NEX-5*, A6000 is likely also below NEX-6.

Well in fact the A5000 is the successor of the Nex 3n, and you know what? It is above the Nex 3n in every way! good isn't it? Then the A6000, all the specs we know are rumors. You base a statment on rumors! So the A6000 look like a very good camera when the rumors are correct:

It has an impressive AF system (according to the same rumors you are basing your statement on)
It has a 24 MP sensor with PDAF sensors on it.
It has a flat top plate
Improved RGB filter

So basicly it is improved over the Nex 6 in almost any way, but the resolution of the EVF. So when the rumor of the EVF is true, could it be possible that the EVF is faster in updating the screen? Is it possible that it is showing better low light pictures? If so is the EVF then maybe an update over the old EVF?

IN a few hours we know more....

parallaxproblem
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,709
Like?

captura wrote:

+1

Correct.

My own guess of A6000 development timeline:

September/October 2012: development of NEX-6 replacement prototype options start as soon as model is launched

September/October/November 2013: field testing of various prototypes (as many as five, including DSLR 'format' and 'brick format).  Procurement of base components and manufacture of common components starts

December 2013: final decision on which prototype to use based on:

• Orders and pre-orders of A7, A3000 and NEX-5T in run-up to Christmas
  • Feeback from field testing
  • Market surveys (Focus groups, marketing surveys and public perception from DPReview, SAR etc etc)

December/January 2013: production line finalised and assembly of new model starts and marketing is planned.  Certification applied for, documentation and packaging prepared

February 2013: model announced

May 2013: first cameras start shipping

-- hide signature --

DUMP the HUMP! Campaign for *REAL* NEX replacement bodies
* newly updated ignore list: hostile responses are probably not visible to me

captura
Like?
Re: Blaming the Focus Groups for Sony's (and Canon, Nikon, Olympus and Panasonic) mistakes.
In reply to nevercat, 7 months ago

borrowed from:

eoshd.com/Canon NEX

http://www.eoshd.com/content/8578/canon-eos-m-mirrorless-unveiled-return-of-the-ef-m-system

"Canon’s mirrorless looks to take a similar approach to the market as Sony with their NEX system. Certainly the design of the new lenses takes a lot from Sony’s E-mount range.

Unlike the Nikon 1, the NEX system is a sales success and the large almost DSLR sized APS-C lenses didn’t seem to bother anybody.

However in my mind there seems to be very little sense in a low end mirrorless camera like the NEX C3, EOS M, Lumix GF3 or Olympus PEN.

Enthusiasts will go with a higher end mirrorless or DSLR. Consumers will go for a high end compact like the Sony RX100. Everyone else will be shooting with a smartphone.

Wrong strategy?

Focus groups keep telling camera manufacturers they want DSLR quality in a small camera.

Canon, Nikon, Olympus and Panasonic took this to mean a small DSLR with interchangeable lenses.

This pleased their accountants – there is much margin in cheap glass. Rather than sell only a body like they were doing with compacts, Sony, Panasonic and Olympus could now sell multiple lenses to the mass market for the first time not just to enthusiasts and pros.

However.

What they needed was to listen to a visionary like Steve Jobs instead, because a focus group doesn’t actually know they really want.

Sure enough it turns out that what these people really wanted was a compact camera with a massive zoom lens built in and a higher end compact camera with DSLR image quality that they could put in their pocket like the RX100.

So what is the point of low end mirrorless now?

In my view mirrorless should be pulled out of the low end of the market, and manufacturers should concentrate more on high end mirrorless cameras like the GH2, X Pro 1 and NEX 7.

Now in the age of large sensor compacts, mirrorless cameras have to offer something else compelling other than just small size and a crappy kit zoom which isn’t pocketable.

For nearly 3 years I have been using mirrorless cameras for professional work and my own creative projects. Cameras like the GH1, GH2 and NEX 5N were already giving me something compelling above and beyond DSLRs – and it wasn’t small size.

I got the GH2 because I like to adapt a huge range of lenses from the most affordable Canon FD to the best Leica M. I also like to fool Francis Ford Coppola into thinking I am using an Alexa.

I got the NEX 7 because it has an OLED viewfinder and a 24MP APS-C sensor which thrashes the dated 3 year old sensor in the T4i into the weeds."

I got the Fuji X Pro 1 because it has a better sensor than even the NEX 7, not to mention Leica rangefinder style handling and looks.

I got the Olympus OM-D E-M5 because as an all-rounder for high quality stills it beats the lot of ‘em."

parallaxproblem
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,709
Like?

chromnd wrote:

Difficult to believe this one...   we need to wait for the announcement and (hopefully) some explanations from Sony if it does turn out to be true...

-- hide signature --

DUMP the HUMP! Campaign for *REAL* NEX replacement bodies
* newly updated ignore list: hostile responses are probably not visible to me

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads