Contributing MemberPosts: 950
Like?
Re: A6000 first picture
In reply to parallaxproblem, 7 months ago

parallaxproblem wrote:

j0sh wrote:

FYI http://is.gd/Hhqryb

-- hide signature --

The A7-style grip is a bit of a worry: I find the 'ridge' on the A7 grip very uncomfortable

A big concern to me as ergonomics are very important - if you don't like handling a camera then you won't use it (unless you are a pro and need to for your job)

Also if this camera contains the same EVF as the A7 then it is final proof that the A7's 'hump' is just a 'fashion statement' and not technically necessary! Maybe the internal flash would have to be removed, but otherwise there is sufficient space for a FF sensor in this body... so why wasn't the A7 housed in a NEX-6 and the A7r in a NEX-7 body?

-- hide signature --

DUMP the HUMP! Campaign for *REAL* NEX replacement bodies
* newly updated ignore list: hostile responses are probably not visible to me

Well you have seen the picture (above) of the A6000, it has not got the A7 grip. It is merely a tweaked NEX-6/7 grip

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
wictred
Contributing MemberPosts: 953Gear list
Like?

Brian P Smith wrote:

Guess all that complaining and fear mongering about an EVF hump was blown way out of proportion, eh guys?

-- hide signature --

(Not the renowned photographer, just a pharmacist that likes to take pictures)

Not yet, we still have to see the camera (and the NEX-7 replacement) released

And how do you know that there wasn't also a DSLR-style option for this camera planned, that got dropped when Sony saw a number (not just me) of people complaining about it?  Sony have admitted there were several options planned for the A7 and that the DSLR style one was chosen pretty late in the process - why not the other way around here?

-- hide signature --

Because you cant just redesign a camera within a few weeks from prototype to final product. The current a6000 design is probably not really newer than the a7 design. You and your comrades give yourself way too much credit.

wictred's gear list:wictred's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony a6000 Sigma 19mm F2.8 EX DN Sony E 35mm F1.8 OSS Sigma 60mm F2.8 DN +3 more
wictred
Contributing MemberPosts: 953Gear list
Like?
Re: re: DITTO = perhaps it was the level of the outcry that saved us...
In reply to jpr2, 7 months ago

parallaxproblem wrote:

And how do you know that there wasn't also a DSLR-style option for this camera planned, that got dropped when Sony saw a number (not just me) of people complaining about it? Sony have admitted there were several options planned for the A7 and that the DSLR style one was chosen pretty late in the process - why not the other way around here?

...from more humpbacks? Also... given the persistent rumor-mongering that a6k body is replacement for both N6 and N7, them perhaps should there be a persistent users' voice requesting the N7 mk-II, it might not be scratched !!!

jpr2

Oh yes. More spam.

Btw speaking of spam - are there any limits on signature length on dpr? This is getting pathetic.

wictred's gear list:wictred's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony a6000 Sigma 19mm F2.8 EX DN Sony E 35mm F1.8 OSS Sigma 60mm F2.8 DN +3 more
RobDJW
Regular MemberPosts: 180Gear list
Like?
In reply to wictred, 7 months ago

Brian P Smith wrote:

Guess all that complaining and fear mongering about an EVF hump was blown way out of proportion, eh guys?

-- hide signature --

And how do you know that there wasn't also a DSLR-style option for this camera planned, that got dropped when Sony saw a number (not just me) of people complaining about it?  Sony have admitted there were several options planned for the A7 and that the DSLR style one was chosen pretty late in the process - why not the other way around here?

-- hide signature --

Because you cant just redesign a camera within a few weeks from prototype to final product. The current a6000 design is probably not really newer than the a7 design. You and your comrades give yourself way too much credit.

+1

RobDJW's gear list:RobDJW's gear list
Sony a6000 Sony Carl Zeiss Sonnar T* E 24mm F1.8 ZA Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS Tamron 18-200mm F/3.5-6.3 Di III VC Sigma 30mm F2.8 EX DN +2 more
ET2
ET2
Senior MemberPosts: 3,771Gear list
Like?

parallaxproblem wrote:

Brian P Smith wrote:

-- hide signature --

And how do you know that there wasn't also a DSLR-style option for this camera planned, that got dropped when Sony saw a number (not just me) of people complaining about it?

Dream on, dude. These cameras take 2 years before they are in full production cycle. They were planned for full large scale production long before your nonsensical ranting started on the forum.

quezra
Senior MemberPosts: 2,406Gear list
Like?
In reply to Brian P Smith, 7 months ago

Brian P Smith wrote:

No no no, it just means the goalposts will have to be shifted once again.

quezra's gear list:quezra's gear list
Sony Alpha 7 Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Sony FE 28-70mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony Alpha NEX-5N Voigtlander 35mm F1.4 Nokton +7 more
spacemn
Contributing MemberPosts: 950
Like?
In reply to j0sh, 7 months ago

The GX7 looks bloated in comparison. If the A6000 is less than $800, then it will be killler, mag alloys used or not, especially with that updated 24mpix sensor.

quezra
Senior MemberPosts: 2,406Gear list
Like?
In reply to ET2, 7 months ago

ET2 wrote:

parallaxproblem wrote:

Brian P Smith wrote:

-- hide signature --

And how do you know that there wasn't also a DSLR-style option for this camera planned, that got dropped when Sony saw a number (not just me) of people complaining about it?

Dream on, dude. These cameras take 2 years before they are in full production cycle. They were planned for full large scale production long before your nonsensical ranting started on the forum.

These same people worried that the EVF-less cameras were going to come with a hump just because (of what???).  Then claimed credit when they didn't.  So no surprise they're claiming credit for the NEX-6 successor looking nice and sleek despite looking exactly like a cross between a NEX-6 and 7 and there really never was any radical change on the cards.

Goodbye ugly PASM dial... sadly not really replaced by a more sensible tri-navi but at least the camera looks better.

quezra's gear list:quezra's gear list
Sony Alpha 7 Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Sony FE 28-70mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony Alpha NEX-5N Voigtlander 35mm F1.4 Nokton +7 more
JurijTurnsek
Regular MemberPosts: 184Gear list
Like?
In reply to quezra, 7 months ago

No one else noticed the zoom "rocker"? It's a welcome feature to have with the PZ lenses.

JurijTurnsek's gear list:JurijTurnsek's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-5N Samyang 8mm F2.8 UMC Fisheye Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS +1 more
Beaverhelmet
Contributing MemberPosts: 584Gear list
Like?
In reply to JurijTurnsek, 7 months ago

JurijTurnsek wrote:

No one else noticed the zoom "rocker"? It's a welcome feature to have with the PZ lenses.

Huh? All I see is the power switch around the shutter button.

Beaverhelmet's gear list:Beaverhelmet's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony SLT-A77 Sony Alpha 7R Sony Cyber-shot DSC-F707 +7 more
sean lancaster
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,319Gear list
Like?

ET2 wrote:

parallaxproblem wrote:

Brian P Smith wrote:

-- hide signature --

Exactly correct.

sean lancaster's gear list:sean lancaster's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony Alpha 7 Voigtlander 35mm F1.2 Nokton Sony FE 55mm F1.8 +2 more
love_them_all
Senior MemberPosts: 2,739
Like?

Only one command dial. This is a big step back from the NEX7 which it replaces.

quezra wrote:

SAR's one looks much more convincing. No tri-navi

JurijTurnsek
Regular MemberPosts: 184Gear list
Like?
In reply to Beaverhelmet, 7 months ago

Beaverhelmet wrote:

JurijTurnsek wrote:

Huh? All I see is the power switch around the shutter button.

My bad. I wish for one, though.

JurijTurnsek's gear list:JurijTurnsek's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-5N Samyang 8mm F2.8 UMC Fisheye Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS +1 more
PVCdroid
Senior MemberPosts: 2,029Gear list
Like?

parallaxproblem wrote:

Brian P Smith wrote:

-- hide signature --

Two years? Hardly. It's two months max and they have multiple configurations and prototypes for final approval. Look at the A7 teardown. The insides are modules forming a brick and placement of the EVF was flexible.

PVCdroid's gear list:PVCdroid's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony Alpha 7R
nevercat
Senior MemberPosts: 2,336
Like?

parallaxproblem wrote:

j0sh wrote:

-- hide signature --

The A7-style grip is a bit of a worry: I find the 'ridge' on the A7 grip very uncomfortable

A big concern to me as ergonomics are very important - if you don't like handling a camera then you won't use it (unless you are a pro and need to for your job)

I do agree with you that ergonomics is very important, so there is just one way to find out if this camera fits you, and that is wait till it is in the stores and try it! Does it not feel right, then don't buy it! Go for a camera that feels right, that is very important...

Also if this camera contains the same EVF as the A7 then it is final proof that the A7's 'hump' is just a 'fashion statement' and not technically necessary! Maybe the internal flash would have to be removed, but otherwise there is sufficient space for a FF sensor in this body... so why wasn't the A7 housed in a NEX-6 and the A7r in a NEX-7 body?

This has been said in many posts in the last few months. The EVF is at the top of the A7 for several reasons:

1. The LCD on the A7 is larger and takes more space, an EVF with that LCD would make the camera look like the new Sigma, very wide, making it hard to fit in a standard bag, without having very much free room above the camera.

2. The sensor in the camera is larger, taking more room, so there is less room for an EVF in the camera.

3. And ergonomics is important too, the centred EVF is what many people want, so Sony delivers.

4. And at last yes, design is important too, so those reasons together made the hump...

And yes I do think it is possible to make a camera like the Nex 7 with a FF sensor and the smaller LCD. And to be honnest I think it will come some time from now. Sony wanted the larger FF E-mount camera specialy for those people who want that formfactor out first, as they thought that that camera would sell better, no it is out other models will come...

-- hide signature --

It's time for a new campaign, as you have won this one!

nevercat
Senior MemberPosts: 2,336
Like?
In reply to PVCdroid, 7 months ago

PVCdroid wrote:

parallaxproblem wrote:

Brian P Smith wrote:

-- hide signature --

Two years? Hardly. It's two months max and they have multiple configurations and prototypes for final approval. Look at the A7 teardown. The insides are modules forming a brick and placement of the EVF was flexible.

This is a much made misstake. It is not that easy to reform a camera with the same components. Replacing a button or dial can be a disaster in design, as it means redesigning the flat cables, that connect them, redesign the housing for the other location etc.

At some point in design they do have more then one option, but they deside at that point what option they will go with and than they start the tests of that model. The do tweaks on that model and in the end they will go for production with that model. Then they will start with making the components for that model (like the housing the electronics and mechanics) and when all the components are made they go in full production. there will be a shorter time then two years between the choice for the camera style and the actualy production camera, but it is more then 6 months, as after they know what style they are going to make the real testing of the camera can start....

Kashmir442
Regular MemberPosts: 175
Like?

I want to see the back! Very interested to see if this has an AF/MF toggle.

Son Of Mustang Ford
Regular MemberPosts: 287
Like?

parallaxproblem wrote:

j0sh wrote:

-- hide signature --

-- hide signature --

They have a bigger sensor AND a faster shutter.

Habs Fan27
Regular MemberPosts: 341
Like?
In reply to j0sh, 7 months ago

Decent update if you ask me.  Very nice flat top plate.  Shutter stays towards the front of the camera (instead of on top like A7).  The MR function on the mode dial is a pretty big addition to me.  A lot of people on SAR are whining about the mode dial but that feature alone makes it worth having a mode dial.

If the specs posted are to be accurate (24MP, better AF, better processor, etc.) then this will be a pretty solid update.

I'm curious to see the back of the camera to see if it has any added controls.  An AF/MF/AEL switch like the A7/N7 would be icing on the cake but from the top view, I don't think the buttons come out far enough to allow that.

gkstar
Regular MemberPosts: 230Gear list
Like?
In reply to Habs Fan27, 7 months ago

The picture above is not real. Note the shadow/light reflection patterns on the two dials and see how different they are.

gkstar's gear list:gkstar's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony a6000 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony E 18-200mm F3.5-6.3 OSS LE Sony E 35mm F1.8 OSS +1 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads