There is NO reason not to get X-E1 for $719

Started 5 months ago | Discussions
mistermejia
Senior MemberPosts: 2,751Gear list
Like?
There is NO reason not to get X-E1 for $719
5 months ago

I am officially a former nikon shooter and I am NEVER looking back

Guys, for this type of caliber that you are getting, there is no reason to be crying for the performance of AF of the XE1 after the firmware update.  Yes, i can see what some of you are saying, i can see that now, it is not super snappy and it takes a couple of "milliseconds" until it locks on focus, but it is nothing to cry about unless you shoot in darkness.

I bought the silver version this afternoon after work, i have loaded the latest firmware and i am ALREADY enjoying the thing.  I personally wouldn't be surprised if later on fuji does another touch up on the AF part.  One thing for sure, the AF on my camera does lock AF a little faster in AF-Continuous, and i am not complaining, not for this price sir!  No way Jose!

But let me tell you this, would i pay $1400 for this camera now?  No.  But it doesn't cost that anymore

I bought the camera with a 90mb/sec memory card and i am VERY satisfied.  This camera probably works perfect under plenty of light.  I have taken some simple photos from my house under crappy lighting, and i like the camera very much.  I think this camera and I are going to become very good friends.  Im tired, is been a long day, and i'm going to sleep.

mistermejia's gear list:mistermejia's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix S5 Pro Fujifilm X-E1 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Rokinon 85mm F1.4 +4 more
Fujifilm X-E1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
jers
Regular MemberPosts: 358
Like?
Re: There is NO reason not to get X-E1 for $719
In reply to mistermejia, 5 months ago

I had no problem, buying a second X-E1 body. The price was good, & now, I don't have to change lenses.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Peter Jonas
Senior MemberPosts: 1,578
Like?

Congrats to the purchase. I hope you are not going to miss the response and handling of the D7000. The X-E1 is a nice camera. Did you get a lens included in that price?

By the way, I thought you were getting a Pentax K-3. Whatever happened to that?

-- hide signature --

Cheers,
Peter Jonas

unknown member
(unknown member)
Like?

mistermejia wrote:

I am officially a former nikon shooter and I am NEVER looking back

Guys, for this type of caliber that you are getting, there is no reason to be crying for the performance of AF of the XE1 after the firmware update. Yes, i can see what some of you are saying, i can see that now, it is not super snappy and it takes a couple of "milliseconds" until it locks on focus, but it is nothing to cry about unless you shoot in darkness.

I bought the silver version this afternoon after work, i have loaded the latest firmware and i am ALREADY enjoying the thing. I personally wouldn't be surprised if later on fuji does another touch up on the AF part. One thing for sure, the AF on my camera does lock AF a little faster in AF-Continuous, and i am not complaining, not for this price sir! No way Jose!

But let me tell you this, would i pay $1400 for this camera now? No. But it doesn't cost that anymore

I bought the camera with a 90mb/sec memory card and i am VERY satisfied. This camera probably works perfect under plenty of light. I have taken some simple photos from my house under crappy lighting, and i like the camera very much. I think this camera and I are going to become very good friends. Im tired, is been a long day, and i'm going to sleep.

AF doesn't matter when you shoot things that don't move.

BillyInya
Senior MemberPosts: 1,221Gear list
Like?

Well done on your new X-E1. I reckon the X-E1 churns out better quality images than the X-E2 anyway so you are going to have some serious fun with it.

And I see you've got an S5 Pro ... there's a legendary gem right there!!

BillyInya's gear list:BillyInya's gear list
Nikon D7000 Fujifilm X-E1 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6G ED-IF Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 17-55mm f/2.8G ED-IF Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II +8 more
Randy Benter
Senior MemberPosts: 1,727Gear list
Like?

Reason #1 not to get X-E1: It does not have a CCD sensor.

Reason #2 not to get X-E1: X cameras have "stinking skin tones"

Now, if I could only remember who said such things.  Enjoy your new camera.

Randy Benter's gear list:Randy Benter's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Fujifilm X-Pro1 Canon EOS 70D Fujifilm X-A1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 +23 more
Andy G
Regular MemberPosts: 281Gear list
Like?
In reply to stimpy, 5 months ago

stimpy wrote:

Anybody that bought the X-E1 to capture fast moving subjects clearly possesses a great amount of skill or is not capable of understanding the strengths and weaknesses of a much written about camera.

Having said that, the current firmware autofocus is fast enough and where real speed is involved I simply go back to basics, the way it was done before AF existed.

There are those that dwell on the autofocus of the X-E1, possibly because there are very few negatives to owning such a great value camera right now. Many convince themselves of this "huge" autofocus issue to help justify to themselves (or partner) that more expense is required, to get the desired performance.

For me, photography is all about image quality. Years ago when I spent £1000's on Canon L glass, I did so purely for the image quality and the 2.8 constant. In those days, it was never about autofocus. Today, with me, nothing has changed.

The X-E1 is an outstanding photographic tool for the price point, with superb looks and fine handling.

Andy G's gear list:Andy G's gear list
Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm 50-230mm Adobe Photoshop CS6 extended Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 5 +1 more
Keit ll
Like?
In reply to Andy G, 5 months ago

The problem is that you can't get a body only version of the XE-1 in the UK at that price ....

Andy G
Like?
In reply to Keit ll, 5 months ago

Keit ll wrote:

The problem is that you can't get a body only version of the XE-1 in the UK at that price ....

Just about for that price. However, right now, we get the XC 50-230mm thrown in, with the X-E1 and 18-55 bundle for £700. Great value.

Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm 50-230mm Adobe Photoshop CS6 extended Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 5 +1 more
Joel Stern
Forum ProPosts: 10,142Gear list
Like?

enjoy.  $729, where?

-- hide signature --

If i am typing on my iPad, please excuse any typos.

Keit ll
Like?

Andy G wrote:

Keit ll wrote:

Just about for that price. However, right now, we get the XC 50-230mm thrown in, with the X-E1 and 18-55 bundle for £700. Great value.

Where is this offer available ?

jerrysdean43
Contributing MemberPosts: 562
Like?
In reply to Joel Stern, 5 months ago

My best reason for not buying an XE-1 is that I just purchased an X100s and I am loving it,maybe nexe year I will go for an XE2 but will never sell the X100s.

Sal Baker
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,599Gear list
Like?

I'm very tempted to get one as a second body to my X-E2.  $549 is a great price, and it has the same IQ as Fuji's latest/greatest.  But I'm going to wait until the X-T1 is in good supply.  At that point the X-E2 will probably drop more in price which will push the X-E1 even lower.

I still plan on getting the 56mm 1.2.  But I could almost get two X-E1s for the same price as that one lens!

Sal

Sal Baker's gear list:Sal Baker's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 350D Fujifilm X-E2 Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM +5 more
Andy G
Like?
In reply to Keit ll, 5 months ago

Keit ll wrote:

Andy G wrote:

Keit ll wrote:

http://www.cameraworld.co.uk/fujifilm-x-e1-18-55mm-f2-8-4-r-xf.html    £699

or any UK Fuji dealer.

I chose this one because of the 2 yr warranty that Clifton offer on all products. The SD card is a Samsung 48mb/s, certainly OK as a backup. £719

http://www.cliftoncameras.co.uk/Fujifilm_X-E1_18-55_XF_Lens_Kit_-_Silver

unknown member
(unknown member)
Like?

Andy G wrote:

stimpy wrote:

Anybody that bought the X-E1 to capture fast moving subjects clearly possesses a great amount of skill or is not capable of understanding the strengths and weaknesses of a much written about camera.

I think there are more than a few people who would have purchased the X-E1 at launch, and expected more from a £1000 body.

Having said that, the current firmware autofocus is fast enough and where real speed is involved I simply go back to basics, the way it was done before AF existed.

Fast enough for you it seems (and for me 90% of the time) but that doesn't mean it's fast enough for everyone. Plenty of event & reportage photographers still struggle with the slow AF and lag.

There are those that dwell on the autofocus of the X-E1, possibly because there are very few negatives to owning such a great value camera right now. Many convince themselves of this "huge" autofocus issue to help justify to themselves (or partner) that more expense is required, to get the desired performance.

X series focus has always been poor compared to it's main competitor, m43. The reputation is justified.

For me, photography is all about image quality. Years ago when I spent £1000's on Canon L glass, I did so purely for the image quality and the 2.8 constant. In those days, it was never about autofocus. Today, with me, nothing has changed.

Why are you not shooting full frame then?

The X-E1 is an outstanding photographic tool for the price point, with superb looks and fine handling.

For some people, yes, others no.

unknown member
(unknown member)
Like?

Andy G wrote:

Keit ll wrote:

Andy G wrote:

Keit ll wrote:

http://www.cameraworld.co.uk/fujifilm-x-e1-18-55mm-f2-8-4-r-xf.html £699

or any UK Fuji dealer.

I chose this one because of the 2 yr warranty that Clifton offer on all products. The SD card is a Samsung 48mb/s, certainly OK as a backup. £719

http://www.cliftoncameras.co.uk/Fujifilm_X-E1_18-55_XF_Lens_Kit_-_Silver

You can also get a Fuji refurb with 12 months warranty + 18-55 for £550 (if you use a 10% discount code).

Al Valentino
Senior MemberPosts: 4,348Gear list
Like?

Congratulations on finally making the move. It gets better once you master the little things, which many seem to neglect.

i was one of those people that paid $1,400 new in late December, well before the updates, and was very pleased then and expect to have mine for a while.

no that you have the XE1 and zoom, if you ever plan on more lenses, now is the time with huge sales. Just ordered the 35mm myself.

Have fun!

-- hide signature --

Fuji Silver XE1 w/14, 35, 18-55, 55-200, Rokinon 8mm Fisheye & Tamron 90mm f/2.8 Macro

Al Valentino's gear list:Al Valentino's gear list
Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS +8 more
Joel Stern
Like?
In reply to jerrysdean43, 5 months ago

jerrysdean43 wrote:

My best reason for not buying an XE-1 is that I just purchased an X100s and I am loving it,maybe nexe year I will go for an XE2 but will never sell the X100s.

The 100s is a truly great camera.  Enjoy

-- hide signature --

Joel Stern
Like?
In reply to Sal Baker, 5 months ago

Sal Baker wrote:

I'm very tempted to get one as a second body to my X-E2. $549 is a great price, and it has the same IQ as Fuji's latest/greatest. But I'm going to wait until the X-T1 is in good supply. At that point the X-E2 will probably drop more in price which will push the X-E1 even lower.

I still plan on getting the 56mm 1.2. But I could almost get two X-E1s for the same price as that one lens!

Sal

You can get the body here in the UD cheaper, $600US.

-- hide signature --

Andy G
Like?
In reply to stimpy, 5 months ago

stimpy wrote:

Andy G wrote:

stimpy wrote:

Anybody that bought the X-E1 to capture fast moving subjects clearly possesses a great amount of skill or is not capable of understanding the strengths and weaknesses of a much written about camera.

I think there are more than a few people who would have purchased the X-E1 at launch, and expected more from a £1000 body.

I can accept that, but hopefully the firmware improvements have consoled them somewhat.

Having said that, the current firmware autofocus is fast enough and where real speed is involved I simply go back to basics, the way it was done before AF existed.

Fast enough for you it seems (and for me 90% of the time) but that doesn't mean it's fast enough for everyone. Plenty of event & reportage photographers still struggle with the slow AF and lag.

This is the bit where I want to talk about my recent wedding photographs, where I was the victim of a "wedding photographer". But, I won't, as it only serves to wind me up in a real bad, unhealthy way. I was the victim of a Nikon DSLR in the wrong hands. This experience made me realise how many "professionals" are out there taking money for poor work and how they would never have survived on film or manual focus cameras.

X series focus has always been poor compared to it's main competitor, m43. The reputation is justified.

A reputation of being slower than its competitor is hardly a suggestion that it is not very usable. It clearly is. Granted I have only recently acquired it and don't have the pre-firmware improvement experience.

Why are you not shooting full frame then?

Far too heavy, all sold (2004)and they were stuck on the end of a couple of film bodies (EOS 1V HS).  I once carried an EOS 1V HS, a 70-200 2.8 L, 16-35 2.8L and a 28-70 2.8L up Beinn Alligin and wanted to throw it back down rather than carry it.

For some people, yes, others no.

Personal choice applies to just about anything, but it doesn't stop it being an outstanding photographer tool and deliverer of superb images. I hate Merc's, my Dad loves them, still excellent cars.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads