Canon G1X M2 pics....?
10 months ago
Mk7
Mk7
Senior MemberPosts: 1,128
Like?
Re: Canon G1X M2 pics....?
In reply to Tonkotsu Ramen, 10 months ago

Looks decent. Vari-angle screen is gone! Hope that screen flips 180 degrees. The 1.5" sensor is still there, with fast lens!

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Tonkotsu Ramen
Senior MemberPosts: 1,382
Like?
In reply to Mk7, 10 months ago

i'm a bit disappointed with the screen if it cannot flip 180, that would be a pretty big step backwards

but 2.0-3.9?? 3.9 @ 120mm? yessss

looking @ the pic, it appears to retain a 1.5" sensor

also NFC? so i don't need to fumble with logging in or connecting or starting some wifi connection.. and the camera will automatically start it like on the new sony cameras?

now we wait for the official announcement

Mk7
Mk7
Like?

No 180 flip, no sale, AFAIK.
That's one heck of a built-in lens cap!

dirk242
New MemberPosts: 5Gear list
Like?

can't wait to get the real specs and maybe sell my rx100

dirk242's gear list:dirk242's gear list
Sony RX100 II Canon EOS 5D
Rohith Thumati
Regular MemberPosts: 432
Like?

Thanks for posting!

It may not be the prettiest thing, but it looks super interesting. It's the same thing as CR's image, except for the faux leather part of the grip and the lens barrel that doesn't end in space

I don't mind a flip out LCD (versus vari-angle); my Olympus E-M5 has a similar screen and I'm happy with it, but I can understand others finding the vari-angle a necessity. I also don't mind the lack of built in OVF: I never liked the G series' OVF's, and I don't mind composing on a screen. I prefer an EVF, anyway, so an add on EVF works just fine for me.

The lack of dials (compared with the G1X M1) is disappointing; that was one of the best parts of the original. Hopefully the rear part of the barrel is a dial, like that on the S series cameras so the camera has 2 dials for manual control.

While I'm hoping, here's also hoping the AF speed, touchscreen (assuming), and EVF are competitive with those of my E-M5, that the image quality is at least as good as the current G1X's, and both the camera and EVF are reasonably affordable (I'll be happy if the camera alone comes out for $800, like the original G1X, given that lens). If so for all of those, it'll be the travel camera I've been looking for.

Enough speculation and hope - I'm really looking forward to getting final specs and reading the previews and reviews.

Mk7
Mk7
Like?
In reply to Rohith Thumati, 10 months ago

Yes, most likely the rear barrel is a control dial, and the front pops off.

dartmoorman
Regular MemberPosts: 253
Like?
In reply to Mk7, 10 months ago

Why does it say G1X on it?

dirk242
New MemberPosts: 5Gear list
Like?
In reply to dartmoorman, 10 months ago

dartmoorman wrote:

you can see the "mark II" on the top of the camera.

dirk242's gear list:dirk242's gear list
Sony RX100 II Canon EOS 5D
abortabort
Senior MemberPosts: 1,144Gear list
Like?
In reply to dartmoorman, 10 months ago

dartmoorman wrote:

It says Mark II on the smaller text underneath

abortabort's gear list:abortabort's gear list
Sony RX100 Konica Minolta Maxxum 7D Nikon D700 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Sony Alpha 7 +33 more
Marco Nero
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,064Gear list
Like?
Heh!

Tonkotsu Ramen wrote:

http://www.mirrorlessrumors.com/new-images-of-the-canon-g1x-markii

it's interesting.

What a disappointment.  Canon should have learned that half-measures have always been a waste of their time.  It looks more like an EOS-M Pro than a G1X V2. Then again, we were complaining bitterly that they included an OVF on the G1X to begin with. Dreadful decision to drop the vari-angle flip-LCD screen for the old (cheap) tilt-screen.

G1X Mk2 (?)

G1X Mk1

-- hide signature --

Regards,
Marco Nero.
www.pbase.com/nero_design

Marco Nero's gear list:Marco Nero's gear list
Canon PowerShot S95 Canon PowerShot G1 X Canon EOS 60D Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS M +6 more
dartmoorman
Regular MemberPosts: 253
Like?
In reply to abortabort, 10 months ago

Ah, Yes, see it now. Wonder why they didn't put in on the front. too? there's enough space. Anyway, I really like my G1X and would like to think they could improve on it although I would miss the Vari screen if that goes. Would like a wider angle lens, though. Keep the same size sensor, improve the macro, and start at F2. Would the physics support that? probably not in a small package.

Mk7
Mk7
Like?
Re: Heh!
In reply to Marco Nero, 10 months ago

Marco Nero wrote:

What a disappointment. Canon should have learned that half-measures have always been a waste of their time. It looks more like an EOS-M Pro than a G1X V2. Then again, we were complaining bitterly that they included an OVF on the G1X to begin with. Dreadful decision to drop the vari-angle flip-LCD screen for the old (cheap) tilt-screen.

You should know by now... Canon giveth and Canon taketh away. Remember all the wailing when G7 was announced with fixed screen, slow lens and no raw? They will always do something to make sure G- and S-series sales don't cut too much into Rebel/lens sales.

omanko
New MemberPosts: 10
Like?

Here is a catalogue.
http://bbs.kakaku.com/bbs/K0000339868/SortID=17077840/ImageID=1810795/
http://bbs.kakaku.com/bbs/K0000339868/SortID=17077840/ImageID=1810797/
http://bbs.kakaku.com/bbs/K0000339868/SortID=17077840/ImageID=1810798/

13.1 megapixels
1.5" sensor
Lens 12.5(W) - 62.5(T) mm (35mm film equivalent: 24(W) - 120(T) mm)
F2.0 - F3.9
Macro 5cm (W) / 40cm (T)
Size 116.3 x 74.0 x 66.2
Weight 553g (including the battery and memory card)

mjdundee
Contributing MemberPosts: 798Gear list
Like?

G1X M2 won't win a design award - but hey, this looks like a really great photographing tool and the smaller size makes it a true successor of my beloved S95 which is fitted with Richard F.'s grip.

The specs are very promissing - I hope that the IQ is at least as good as the G1X M1 and ads some reasonable macro ability.

mjdundee's gear list:mjdundee's gear list
Canon PowerShot S95 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-150mm F4-5.6 ASPH Mega OIS Panasonic Lumix G Vario HD 12-32mm F3.5-5.6 Mega OIS
G-D
G-D
Regular MemberPosts: 227Gear list
Like?
Re: Heh!

Well well, it looks like the G1X will have a real successor after all, despite all the furious claims by some that it definitely certainly would not happen. And the info from CR was correct all along, even the first picture (albeit possibly PS'ed, now who would do such a thing?) was the real thing... Not bad for a rumor site.

Anyhow, so far I like what I see. Finally a fast lens, and 24mm. Bye bye tiny useless OVF. I never liked the old awkwardly unfolding vari-angle screens, I much prefer a simple tilting screen.

If IQ, AF, handling and performance turn out OK then the G1X II might even become my new P&S.

omanko
New MemberPosts: 10
Like?
In reply to omanko, 10 months ago

New features from the catalogue.
Some functions are assigned to the control ring instead of the dial.
The above picture is for custom grip version. The standard version is on catalogue.
Remote camera control through smartphone like EOS remote is available.

Marco Nero
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,064Gear list
Like?
The problem with this design...
In reply to mjdundee, 10 months ago

mjdundee wrote:

G1X M2 won't win a design award - but hey, this looks like a really great photographing tool and the smaller size makes it a true successor of my beloved S95 which is fitted with Richard F.'s grip.

This is going to be a fascinating exercise by Canon. Because they need to convince the world that the 'Slow and Bulky camera that had trouble with Closeup Photography and couldn't do Macro shots without an additional lens" is now UGLIER. It might be technically superior to the last publicly unpopular offering they sent out to market disguised as a G-camera. In the 21st century, looks are everything. Most buyers won't use WiFi - and it was my experience that activating Canon WiFi it by enforcing Canon website signups ended up requiring over an hour of online computer wrangling. Horrible. Perhaps user experience varies?

The specs are very promissing - I hope that the IQ is at least as good as the G1X M1 and ads some reasonable macro ability.

I agree. They will no doubt release some "pretty" pictures where it's been lit beautifully in the studio... but design-wise it is two geometric shapes: a rectangle with a cylinder on it. I suppose that as you get smaller that you do end up using simpler designs but this is pretty basic to look at. Even the decision to remove the lens cap and apply a lens shutter to protect the glass means more complications. Why isn't the Control dial recessed? That alone makes no sense. I wonder if there will be people complaining about the lens shutter scratching the lens elements or what they might do to cripple it (eg No Raw etc)? It certainly wouldn't be the first time. First reviews by other members ought to be very interesting indeed...
As for replacing my s95... that sure isn't going to happen. It's also too thick to sit on your hip like an s95 can ... and the strap tangs now stick out on BOTH sides making it wider than the specs will admit. That alone is a bad design flaw considering the original G1X has flush strap tangs.
Ergonomics is a very important part of modern design. Canon are no longer surrounded by two or three competitors any more.  There's almost a dozen sellers competing for your dollar. Now it would seem that they are barely putting any effort in to design something beautiful and simultaneously functional. Remember that their sales will be influenced greatly by people who won't care about technical features which they won't understand. They'll see this camera in the window or in a catalog and they'll buy it for its visible appeal. Be honest: If you came across the "perfect camera" for your personal uses and yet it was as ugly as sin, you'd seriously reconsider it. In this generation, people are more often influenced more by attractive design than the benefits or function of the device. This is the secret to Apple Computers' success. But Canon seem to be cutting corners again. Let's see what else this camera offers when/if announced tomorrow. 
I'm prepared to wait and see what they're announcing and give them some leeway. I'm sure they wouldn't want to stick their necks out on a risky product in the current volatile market.

-- hide signature --

Regards,
Marco Nero.

Marco Nero's gear list:Marco Nero's gear list
Canon PowerShot S95 Canon PowerShot G1 X Canon EOS 60D Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS M +6 more
Harold66
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,546Gear list
Like?
Re: The problem with this design...

Well it is too bad that they got rid of the front dial . Even if one of the ring of the lens can function as a dial , when one wants to use this ring as a step zoom , there is no dial on the front

and the menu wheel on the back is not a dial

Too bad because otherwise I thought that this G1xwas clicking a lot of nice points

i wish they had kept the chunky and more elegant front of the first model as well as the vari LCD

Harold

-- hide signature --

www.haroldglit.com
www.modelmayhem.com/haroldglit

Harold66's gear list:Harold66's gear list
Ricoh GR Digital IV Sigma DP2 Merrill Sigma DP3 Merrill Ricoh GR Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX100 +16 more
mjdundee
Contributing MemberPosts: 798Gear list
Like?
Re: The problem with this design...

Marco Nero wrote:

mjdundee wrote:

This is going to be a fascinating exercise by Canon. Because they need to convince the world that the 'Slow and Bulky camera that had trouble with Closeup Photography and couldn't do Macro shots without an additional lens" is now UGLIER. It might be technically superior to the last publicly unpopular offering they sent out to market disguised as a G-camera. In the 21st century, looks are everything. Most buyers won't use WiFi - and it was my experience that activating Canon WiFi it by enforcing Canon website signups ended up requiring over an hour of online computer wrangling. Horrible. Perhaps user experience varies?

I agree. They will no doubt release some "pretty" pictures where it's been lit beautifully in the studio... but design-wise it is two geometric shapes: a rectangle with a cylinder on it. I suppose that as you get smaller that you do end up using simpler designs but this is pretty basic to look at. Even the decision to remove the lens cap and apply a lens shutter to protect the glass means more complications. Why isn't the Control dial recessed? That alone makes no sense. I wonder if there will be people complaining about the lens shutter scratching the lens elements or what they might do to cripple it (eg No Raw etc)? It certainly wouldn't be the first time. First reviews by other members ought to be very interesting indeed...
As for replacing my s95... that sure isn't going to happen. It's also too thick to sit on your hip like an s95 can ... and the strap tangs now stick out on BOTH sides making it wider than the specs will admit. That alone is a bad design flaw considering the original G1X has flush strap tangs.

I agree - the new design has some severe mistakes and - me too - I will never give my S95 away.

Hopefully the front dial will work similar to the S95 which is a pleasure to use.

In the end Canon finally presents a 24mm fast wideangle in a compact body besides the S100-120 (which never satisfied my IQ requiremends) with a lens barrel dial.

It is also clear that they will never ever present the 'perfect' camera in a small package.

They offer various models that are alway not perfect in a certain way - screen, dial, OVF, strap,

RAW, zoomrange - there are many ways to play this game.

Ergonomics is a very important part of modern design. Canon are no longer surrounded by two or three competitors any more. There's almost a dozen sellers competing for your dollar. Now it would seem that they are barely putting any effort in to design something beautiful and simultaneously functional. Remember that their sales will be influenced greatly by people who won't care about technical features which they won't understand. They'll see this camera in the window or in a catalog and they'll buy it for its visible appeal. Be honest: If you came across the "perfect camera" for your personal uses and yet it was as ugly as sin, you'd seriously reconsider it. In this generation, people are more often influenced more by attractive design than the benefits or function of the device. This is the secret to Apple Computers' success. But Canon seem to be cutting corners again. Let's see what else this camera offers when/if announced tomorrow.
I'm prepared to wait and see what they're announcing and give them some leeway. I'm sure they wouldn't want to stick their necks out on a risky product in the current volatile market.

Regards,
Marco Nero.

Sure - lets wait one more day before we may decide if Canon is back in the serious compact game or the Sony guys will open another Champagne bottle.

mjdundee's gear list:mjdundee's gear list
Canon PowerShot S95 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-150mm F4-5.6 ASPH Mega OIS Panasonic Lumix G Vario HD 12-32mm F3.5-5.6 Mega OIS
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads