What are advantages of Df over D600/D610

Started 8 months ago | Discussions
Hank Photo
Forum MemberPosts: 61Gear list
Like?
What are advantages of Df over D600/D610
8 months ago

I have a feeling that several members of this forum now have a Nikon Df  and may have had or still have D600 or D610.  So I am wondering what advantages one would find with the Df.

I am also wondering how skin tones are handled and if DR is any different.

-- hide signature --

Hank K
Nikon D600, Sony RX1, Nikon Coolpix A, (and on the shelf Samsung NX20 kit waiting for NX30)

Hank Photo's gear list:Hank Photo's gear list
Sony RX1 Nikon Coolpix A Samsung NX20 Fujifilm X-E1 Nikon D600
Nikon D600 Nikon D610 Nikon Df Samsung NX30 Sony RX1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Rservello
Senior MemberPosts: 1,140Gear list
Like?
Re: What are advantages of Df over D600/D610
In reply to Hank Photo, 8 months ago

Hank Photo wrote:

I have a feeling that several members of this forum now have a Nikon Df and may have had or still have D600 or D610. So I am wondering what advantages one would find with the Df.

I am also wondering how skin tones are handled and if DR is any different.

-- hide signature --

Hank K
Nikon D600, Sony RX1, Nikon Coolpix A, (and on the shelf Samsung NX20 kit waiting for NX30)

Looks cool with a scarf and skinny jeans?

-- hide signature --

https://www.flickr.com/photos/49019071@N03/
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm2334596/
* Sensitive Internet User Disclaimer: All opinions are my own and are not meant to offend you or damage your precious beliefs.

Rservello's gear list:Rservello's gear list
Nikon D600 Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D Voigtlander 58mm F1.4 Nokton SL II Rokinon 85mm F1.4 Apple Aperture +3 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
enkindler
Regular MemberPosts: 130Gear list
Like?

The DF is lighter, has a stop faster non-boost ISO. The DF has both af-on and ae-lock and has much lower shutter lag and startup times.

Obviously the workflow and controls are slightly different between the two but there isn't that much of a difference in "good" light between most of these cameras including apc sized cameras.

I personally wanted the extra stop of native ISO and the controls that I have become use to on the "pro" level bodies over the past several years. I owned a D600 that had the rare oil problem and upgraded to the D800 but I will say that for most photographs any of these cameras (even the D5100) would do a great job. The latest generation of cameras are all pretty much amazing but it depends on how you want to work and what you find important.

Personally I live in a place that is very dim even at noon in the winter and for me the extra stop of native ISO was worth the extra cost just as it is sometimes worth paying three times as much for an extra 2/3 of stop on a lens. I also use ae-l and af-on all the time and like how easy it is to switch ISO compared to the D610.

I also mix strobes so the sync port is nice to have. But these are all minor differences and the styling of the Df wasn't even a factor in my choice although I will admit to liking it now that I own the camera.

But to be honest, outside of that extra stop of native ISO I could most likely take the same photos with both.

enkindler's gear list:enkindler's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Nikon D300S Nikon D800 Nikon Df Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G +7 more
NTNphoto
Regular MemberPosts: 173Gear list
Like?

I have both and for me the primary reason was the extra ISO ability. It's a bit cleaner at 3200 and above than the D600. I do a ton of low light shooting and this has saved me post processing time and given me cleaner and more useable results at higher ISO.

The camera also has a bit of lower profile(I have the black version) as far as weight and size go.

If I'm shooting lower ISO I pick up the D600 for the higher resolution sensor and to be honest I find it to be a bit better ergonomically than the Df although I have gotten used to the Df's unique handling.

NTNphoto's gear list:NTNphoto's gear list
Nikon D600 Sony Alpha 7 Nikon Df Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 85mm f/1.8G +4 more
CAlanS
Forum MemberPosts: 75Gear list
Like?

Take a look here for a comparoison of D610 v DF and D600 and DF. See also the Spec and Score Tabs. The DR figures at the bottom of the Spec Tab:

http://snapsort.com/compare/Nikon-D610-vs-Nikon-DF

http://snapsort.com/compare/Nikon-D600-vs-Nikon-DF

CAlanS's gear list:CAlanS's gear list
Nikon D90 Nikon D7000 Nikon D600 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G IF-ED VR Nikon AF Nikkor 24-85mm f/2.8-4D IF +2 more
chooflaki
Regular MemberPosts: 397Gear list
Like?
In reply to CAlanS, 8 months ago

If you are into old lenses, the Df will mount and meter just about all the F mount lenses made from inception in 1959 which no other DSLR can do.

chooflaki's gear list:chooflaki's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Sigma DP2 Merrill Fujifilm FinePix S2 Pro Fujifilm FinePix S3 Pro Fujifilm FinePix S5 Pro +2 more
ImagesInstyle
Contributing MemberPosts: 691Gear list
Like?

this snapsport website is wack..the specs are wrong for D610 vs A7

ImagesInstyle's gear list:ImagesInstyle's gear list
Sony a6000
BasiliskPhoto
Contributing MemberPosts: 696
Like?
In reply to chooflaki, 8 months ago

chooflaki wrote:

If you are into old lenses, the Df will mount and meter just about all the F mount lenses made from inception in 1959 which no other DSLR can do.

The D600/610 will mount and meter any AI and AIS lenses which is probably about 90% of the manual lenses out there. You would have to be a bit of a vintage lens nut to deliberately seek the very earliest lenses. No evidence that the Df is any better for handling and focussing manual lenses.

I think it is mainly that old lenses look classier on a retro body.

Jay Paul H
Regular MemberPosts: 173Gear list
Like?
In reply to ImagesInstyle, 8 months ago

ImagesInstyle wrote:

this snapsport website is wack..the specs are wrong for D610 vs A7

They also posted errors regarding the Nikon 1 series.

Jay Paul H's gear list:Jay Paul H's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Canon EOS 5D Mark II Nikon 1 V1 Nikon 1 J1 Nikon D800 +27 more
dgrPhotos
Forum MemberPosts: 83Gear list
Like?

The DR numbers are at base ISO only.  The Df will have greater DR at ISO 800 and beyond.

dgrPhotos's gear list:dgrPhotos's gear list
Nikon D70s Nikon D7100 Nikon Df Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF-S Nikkor 200mm f/2G ED-IF VR +6 more
Patrick McMahon
Senior MemberPosts: 1,210Gear list
Like?

Hank Photo wrote:

So I am wondering what advantages one would find with the Df.

Hank - schematically speaking the differences/advantages are easily measured. There is a use factor that can't be quantified, especially in a forum which is technology-centric.

I love my Df, but I have consistently told people who are struggling to decide between the 2, to get the D610. If the Df's sensor and form factor do not set it apart from another camera you are considering then I believe you should get the other camera.

The D610 is an amazing camera. I was very interested in moving to it from a D700 but there were things that kept me away.

Many on this board see each camera as a zero-sum game when they share certain characteristics, and that is the wrong approach. Others are motivated by some passive aggressive behavior that isn't really worth engaging.

I recently joined Nikongear and it is an amazing site which goes far beyond some of the discussions here, on all models as well as photography as a whole. The signal to noise ratio gets flipped so there will likely be less of the asshat comments.

Patrick McMahon's gear list:Patrick McMahon's gear list
Nikon D700 Nikon Df Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF Nikkor 18-35mm f/3.5-4.5D IF ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24mm f/1.4G ED +6 more
Raul
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,504Gear list
Like?

http://www.dpreview.com/products/compare/side-by-side?products=nikon_d600&products=nikon_df

-- hide signature --

"There is not a thin line between love and hate. There is - in fact - a Great Wall of China with armed sentries posted every 20 feet between love and hate." (House)

nikonuserinfo
Regular MemberPosts: 275Gear list
Like?
Margin of profit for Nikon and dealers...

nt

-- hide signature --

Stany
http://www.nikonuser.info
My former Dpreview profiles ( For which I do not have the Original email address anymore)
Stany Buyle
Photoforfun

nikonuserinfo's gear list:nikonuserinfo's gear list
Nikon D1 Nikon D1H Nikon D2H Nikon D200 Nikon D810 +1 more
Shotcents
Senior MemberPosts: 3,961Gear list
Like?

Df makes a cleaner file at higher ISOs with no fuss. I tried hard to avoid topping ISO 3200 with my D800, not just because of noise, but also because of color shifts and loss of dynamic range. The D600 is about the same, though both of these high res cameras do very well overall. In good light they are superior and have more features than the Df.

With the Df you get the following....

1) Best high ISO results available. Yes, you can downsize, tweak D600/D800 files and get good results, but the Df will do it better more often and more easily.

2) Df is smallest/lightest Nikon FX camera

3) Df has TWO sets of controls. You can use the dials OR command wheels. I use both and it's fun!

4) Df is a beautiful camera, engaging to use.

I can make a longer list of D600 advantages. The Df is a high caliber expensive niche product and not for everyone. The folks who it's NOT for are upset about that. The rest of us are in heaven and the Df has replaced my D800 for most uses. I'm still using the D800 for shooting jewelry and other products.

Cheers,

Robert

Shotcents's gear list:Shotcents's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P7700 Nikon D800 Nikon D5200 Nikon Df Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II +10 more
wasserball
Senior MemberPosts: 2,532Gear list
Like?
In a nutshell
 wasserball's gear list:wasserball's gear list
Kenko Teleplus Pro 300 AF 1.4x Nikon D3S Nikon D600 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 400mm f/2.8G ED VR II +3 more
tommiejeep
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,833
Like?
Re: Good question....

tomorrow I will take the Df and the D610 and two lenses to a local fish market where I will get many skin colours/tones.  I'll shoot everything in neutral and then standard swapping out the lenses.   Should be some higher iso in the early morning and lower as the sun gets up .  I'll then go down the road to the fishing village where there are many colours.

My first reaction is Df has better AWB and seems to nail exposure ( I normally have the D610 0n -.3 EV) but I am interested to see the results.

Cheers,

-- hide signature --

Anticipate the Light and wing it when you get it wrong
Tom
http://taja.smugmug.com/

Kpatel55
Regular MemberPosts: 126Gear list
Like?

1. You can use all old Nikon lenses.

2. Better Low light then 610.

3. Better Body.

Rservello
Senior MemberPosts: 1,140Gear list
Like?
In reply to Kpatel55, 8 months ago

Kpatel55 wrote:

1. You can use all old Nikon lenses.

2. Better Low light then 610.

3. Better Body.

As was already mentioned you can use older lenses on the D600 and as for low light...the D600 does tremendously well.

Shot at ISO 5000, still incredible detail and nice DOF, and ability to capture, sharply, a bouncing baby, as a result.

-- hide signature --

https://www.flickr.com/photos/49019071@N03/
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm2334596/
* Sensitive Internet User Disclaimer: All opinions are my own and are not meant to offend you or damage your precious beliefs.

Rservello's gear list:Rservello's gear list
Nikon D600 Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D Voigtlander 58mm F1.4 Nokton SL II Rokinon 85mm F1.4 Apple Aperture +3 more
tissunique
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,204
Like?

It's high cost with only marginal iso benefit will decrease your future spending on a whim...

tissunique
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,204
Like?
In reply to Shotcents, 8 months ago

Robert, glad you are now using the right camera for your jewellery shots. Now all you need to do is choose a more appropriate background colour and you're almost there! Well done...

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads