Sigma 120-300mm F2.8 DG OS HSM SPORTS at Mercedes Benz Fashion Week in New York City

Started 7 months ago | User reviews
MichaelVadon
Contributing MemberPosts: 649
Like?
Sigma 120-300mm F2.8 DG OS HSM SPORTS at Mercedes Benz Fashion Week in New York City
7 months ago

I decided to bring the lens to fashion week and use it almost exclusively. Usually I will use the Canon 70-200mm 2.8 IS II, but I thought I needed to change things up.

I did my post processing with DXO Optics 9 converting from raw to jpg. I did not do any re-touching on the faces. All I did was fix the white balance which I had determined by meter to be at about 2700 kelvin. I process all photos through DXO Optics 9 with the "Prime" noise reduction setting. I do just a tad bit of sharpening. There was some cropping performed on some of the photos.

Here are a few samples:

MichaelVadon's score
Average community score
SignUpsDot
Regular MemberPosts: 172Gear list
Like?
Re: Sigma 120-300mm F2.8 DG OS HSM SPORTS at Mercedes Benz Fashion Week in New York City
In reply to MichaelVadon, 7 months ago

Nice shots

I've never been to a fashion show before myself, so it's cool to see some of the clothes and styles.

Although... the eyebrow less thing is a bit bizarre to me.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Antal I Kozma
Contributing MemberPosts: 874Gear list
Like?
Re: Sigma 120-300mm F2.8 DG OS HSM SPORTS at Mercedes Benz Fashion Week in New York City

MHere are a few samples:

Boy,

Good images with that Sigma, seems like a versatile and solid instrument.

Now, the models..... I never figured it out why designers make them so unattractive and cool looking... Sometimes they look as if they have just walked back from afterlife, would not marry any of them. Not as if I would expect any of them taking interest in an old photographer who just does not understand "trend and cool".

Well, "dead look" might as well be exciting just that I do not get it, my fault I suppose.

Although I have worked with clients of the high fashion world I never really identified myself with the fashion culture of artsy-fartsy. I see them as another segment of the overpaid and overvalued "circus and bread" for the masses show...... The money spent on the runway could be better used in making post secondary education more affordable for the kids.

Anyhow, the Sigma is a winner.

Regards, AIK

Antal I Kozma's gear list:Antal I Kozma's gear list
Nikon D4 Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 60mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/2.8G ED-IF VR +14 more
SushiEater
Senior MemberPosts: 1,750Gear list
Like?
In reply to Antal I Kozma, 7 months ago

Antal I Kozma wrote:

MHere are a few samples:

Boy,

Now, the models..... I never figured it out why designers make them so unattractive and cool looking...

Because they want you to look at the clothes not the models.

SushiEater's gear list:SushiEater's gear list
Nikon D800E Nikon D810 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm f/4G ED VR Sigma 70-200mm F2.8 EX DG OS HSM Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm f/4G ED VR +10 more
Antal I Kozma
Contributing MemberPosts: 874Gear list
Like?
In reply to SushiEater, 7 months ago

SushiEater wrote:

Antal I Kozma wrote:

MHere are a few samples:

Boy,

Now, the models..... I never figured it out why designers make them so unattractive and cool looking...

Good point, the clothes are beautiful. Kind of every day casual that most people are after.....;-)

Cheers,
AIK:-)

Antal I Kozma's gear list:Antal I Kozma's gear list
Nikon D4 Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 60mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/2.8G ED-IF VR +14 more
MichaelVadon
Like?

Thanks everyone. All these shots were done hand-held with no monopod stabilization BTW.  The OS was on.

MarceloLI
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,809Gear list
Like?
Fantastic shots

The Sigma is a very versatile and sharp lens, and you pictures are a proof of that.

Thank you for sharing.

Marcelo

MarceloLI's gear list:MarceloLI's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Nikon D600 Nikon D7100 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/4D ED-IF +14 more
Photo Geezer
Regular MemberPosts: 253Gear list
Like?
In reply to Antal I Kozma, 7 months ago

Antal I Kozma wrote:

cool looking...

Good point, the clothes are beautiful. Kind of every day casual that most people are after.....;-)

Cheers,
AIK:-)

Yes indeed, and I love those sensible shoes too... 

-- hide signature --

Photo Geezer

Photo Geezer's gear list:Photo Geezer's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P600 Nikon D300 Nikon D800E Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G IF-ED VR Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.4D +3 more
MichaelVadon
Like?
Re: Fantastic shots
In reply to MarceloLI, 7 months ago

Thank you very much. The only negative about the lens is that its longer and heavier then the Canon 70-200. When I got home, I took two Ibuprofen. It depends on what type of shape you are in, but this one definitely needs more physical power and stamina to carry/handhold. The other negative is that it doesn't fit into too many bags. It does come with a bag however.

MarceloLI wrote:

The Sigma is a very versatile and sharp lens, and you pictures are a proof of that.

Thank you for sharing.

Marcelo

Gearóid Ó Laoi, Garry Lee
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,824Gear list
Like?

Great shots. I have the predecessor of this lens, the OS non-sports version. Sharpness wise I find it terrific, but for fast sports, e.g. running, it's not up to the Sigma 300 which I also have. It's fine for soccer.

There's a chap who has written a blog about this problem (both OS and OS Sports) with the 1Div which is what I use. He says it only affects the D series. I'm getting a 1Dx today so we'll see how it does with that.

Have you tried it on running e.g. with the 5Diii?

Gearóid Ó Laoi, Garry Lee's gear list:Gearóid Ó Laoi, Garry Lee's gear list
Canon PowerShot S90 Fujifilm X10 Canon EOS-1Ds Mark III Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Canon EOS-1D Mark IV +27 more
MichaelVadon
Like?
In reply to Gearóid Ó Laoi, Garry Lee, 7 months ago

Here is the great part of this lens.  This lens can be hooked up to the USB dock so if there are any issues you simply report them to Sigma and then you can get the lens updated with the newest firmware.

The camera I was using was a Canon 5D Mark III and it seemed to work perfectly.   I set the custom focus with the USB dock, but then I forgot which settings I put for custom 1 and custom 2.  I relied upon the default focus setting.  Next time I will tape a little reminder on the lens.

You can set this lens for speed focus or accurate focus.  The factory setting leans toward an accurate focus, but I could not really tell a difference no matter how I set it.

Gearóid Ó Laoi, Garry Lee wrote:

Great shots. I have the predecessor of this lens, the OS non-sports version. Sharpness wise I find it terrific, but for fast sports, e.g. running, it's not up to the Sigma 300 which I also have. It's fine for soccer.

There's a chap who has written a blog about this problem (both OS and OS Sports) with the 1Div which is what I use. He says it only affects the D series. I'm getting a 1Dx today so we'll see how it does with that.

Have you tried it on running e.g. with the 5Diii?

Gearóid Ó Laoi, Garry Lee
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,824Gear list
Like?

Thanks..

Mind you, the chap on the blog couldn't sort it out or get it sorted out. He found it fine on a 7d and a 40d, so it appeared to be a 1Div problem..

-- hide signature --

Níor bhris focal maith fiacail riamh (Irish Gaelic)
A good word never broke a tooth.

Gearóid Ó Laoi, Garry Lee's gear list:Gearóid Ó Laoi, Garry Lee's gear list
Canon PowerShot S90 Fujifilm X10 Canon EOS-1Ds Mark III Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Canon EOS-1D Mark IV +27 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads