Struggling with D7100

Started 7 months ago | Questions
JK5700
Senior MemberPosts: 1,540Gear list
Like?
Struggling with D7100
7 months ago

I recently bought a D7100 as a backup to my D3s. I have been using the D7100 with my 500VR and AF-S 80-400VR. I am however not getting enough sharp photos with the combinations. I was doing much better with the D300s and of course the D3s.

I understand that the extra megapixels makes long lens technique more critical, but not to the extent that I am experiencing. Are there any tricks to using the D7100 that I am missing?

-- hide signature --

http://kennekam.blogspot.com/
www.pbase.com/kennekam

JK5700's gear list:JK5700's gear list
Fujifilm X100S Nikon D200 Nikon D4 Nikon D7100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G IF-ED VR +9 more
ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Nikon D300S Nikon D3S Nikon D7100
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
alex41
Regular MemberPosts: 303
Like?
Re: Struggling with D7100
In reply to JK5700, 7 months ago

Hi,

I don’t have the ultra-long lenses but even with 70-300VR my keepers dropped considerably with D7100. Try increasing your shutter speed around 1/800 – 1/1000 and shut the VR off and see if there is any difference. Also post a few samples full size which you consider non-keepers.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
A. Westreich
Senior MemberPosts: 1,195Gear list
Like?

JK5700 wrote:

I recently bought a D7100 as a backup to my D3s. I have been using the D7100 with my 500VR and AF-S 80-400VR. I am however not getting enough sharp photos with the combinations. I was doing much better with the D300s and of course the D3s.

I understand that the extra megapixels makes long lens technique more critical, but not to the extent that I am experiencing. Are there any tricks to using the D7100 that I am missing?

-- hide signature --

www.pbase.com/kennekam

Don't know about the 500VR but I've used the new 80-400 and D71K for a while now.  As I don't know what you are shooting, or what your current techniques are, it's sort of tough to know where to start.  I went from a 300 on a D90 to the 80-400 on the D71K and can tell you that the combination is much more demanding on technique.

The first and most obvious thing as mentioned above is to up the shutter speed (or get a Wimberley).  I started out shooting birds at 1/1000 and quickly upped it to 1/1600.  As my technique improved I found I could take it down again, but it took some practice.

It should be obvious, but if you set the system on a tripod and shoot a static subject in good light, then effectively post process the files, you should get a good idea of how sharp the lens can be.  It is a good combination:

A. Westreich's gear list:A. Westreich's gear list
Nikon D7100 Nikon AF Nikkor 35mm f/2D Nikon AF-S DX Micro Nikkor 40mm F2.8 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 80-400mm f/4.5-5.6G ED VR
sshoihet
Senior MemberPosts: 2,305Gear list
Like?

JK5700 wrote:

More pixels will only possibly make the image appear less sharp at 100% but under the same condition and using the same technique, the D7100 image should look at least as good as the D300 when viewed at the same size; the D7100 should never be worse.

Without seeing the images it's hard to say what the problem is but I'd put the camera on a good support and then compare the images between LV and PDAF to rule out the AF.  All my lenses on both my cameras required a bit of AF fine tune to get the best out of them.  My buddy's D7100 with 24-70 is spot on and required none.

sshoihet's gear list:sshoihet's gear list
Canon PowerShot S95 Nikon D7000 Canon EOS M Nikon D600 Nikon D7100 +14 more
Westmill
Regular MemberPosts: 446Gear list
Like?

JK5700 wrote:

-- hide signature --

www.pbase.com/kennekam

Yes... you need to fine adjust the lens to the camera. Ive had the same problem with 3 out of 4 lenses. You are in effect dealing with 58 million pixel density. That is what it is if you were to carry it across to FF. its a pain in the butt  You need top glass to see any of it. My Sigma 50-150 I bought... eeek ... keeper rate was perhaps 1 in 20 lol. Now it is superb and never misses. Check it out in the Nikon SLR lens talk on here where I have given it a bit of a review. Before I fine tuned it, it was simply awful

Westmill's gear list:Westmill's gear list
Nikon D700 Nikon D7100 Sigma 50-150mm F2.8 EX DC APO OS HSM Tamron SP 24-70mm F/2.8 Di VC USD Sigma 18-35mm F1.8 DC HSM +2 more
nfpotter
Senior MemberPosts: 4,072
Like?
In reply to Westmill, 7 months ago

Westmill wrote:

JK5700 wrote:

-- hide signature --

www.pbase.com/kennekam

Yes... you need to fine adjust the lens to the camera. Ive had the same problem with 3 out of 4 lenses. You are in effect dealing with 58 million pixel density. That is what it is if you were to carry it across to FF. its a pain in the butt You need top glass to see any of it. My Sigma 50-150 I bought... eeek ... keeper rate was perhaps 1 in 20 lol. Now it is superb and never misses. Check it out in the Nikon SLR lens talk on here where I have given it a bit of a review. Before I fine tuned it, it was simply awful

No evidence that the OP needs to fine tune.  A VERY, VERY over-used "feature", and quite dangerous.

nfpotter
Like?
In reply to sshoihet, 7 months ago

sshoihet wrote:

JK5700 wrote:

More pixels will only possibly make the image appear less sharp at 100% but under the same condition and using the same technique, the D7100 image should look at least as good as the D300 when viewed at the same size; the D7100 should never be worse.

Without seeing the images it's hard to say what the problem is but I'd put the camera on a good support and then compare the images between LV and PDAF to rule out the AF. All my lenses on both my cameras required a bit of AF fine tune to get the best out of them. My buddy's D7100 with 24-70 is spot on and required none.

Thank you.  OP, listen to this guy.  The "more pixels means better technique things" is almost 100% false, unless you're always going to be doing massive crops (unlikely).

Post some sample shots.

Westmill
Regular MemberPosts: 446Gear list
Like?
In reply to nfpotter, 7 months ago

nfpotter wrote:

Westmill wrote:

JK5700 wrote:

-- hide signature --

www.pbase.com/kennekam

Yes... you need to fine adjust the lens to the camera. Ive had the same problem with 3 out of 4 lenses. You are in effect dealing with 58 million pixel density. That is what it is if you were to carry it across to FF. its a pain in the butt You need top glass to see any of it. My Sigma 50-150 I bought... eeek ... keeper rate was perhaps 1 in 20 lol. Now it is superb and never misses. Check it out in the Nikon SLR lens talk on here where I have given it a bit of a review. Before I fine tuned it, it was simply awful

No evidence that the OP needs to fine tune. A VERY, VERY over-used "feature", and quite dangerous.

Eh ?  what nonsense. Certainly not even going to start going down that road with you.

as for evidence... his pictures are not sharp from lenses that are sharp on all others. That is more than enough evidence to me lol.

I know you need a little knowledge to fine tune well, but its hardly rocket science. Not to mention it can be turned off or reset and altered at any time. I have to be honest and say that is one of the strangest things I have ever read. I would have three lenses that were hardly usable without tuning. Sorry but I am just a bit gobsmacked by that comment lol

Westmill's gear list:Westmill's gear list
Nikon D700 Nikon D7100 Sigma 50-150mm F2.8 EX DC APO OS HSM Tamron SP 24-70mm F/2.8 Di VC USD Sigma 18-35mm F1.8 DC HSM +2 more
nfpotter
Like?

Westmill wrote:

nfpotter wrote:

Westmill wrote:

JK5700 wrote:

-- hide signature --

www.pbase.com/kennekam

No evidence that the OP needs to fine tune. A VERY, VERY over-used "feature", and quite dangerous.

Eh ? what nonsense. Certainly not even going to start going down that road with you.

as for evidence... his pictures are not sharp from lenses that are sharp on all others. That is more than enough evidence to me lol.

I know you need a little knowledge to fine tune well, but its hardly rocket science. Not to mention it can be turned off or reset and altered at any time. I have to be honest and say that is one of the strangest things I have ever read. I would have three lenses that were hardly usable without tuning. Sorry but I am just a bit gobsmacked by that comment lol

Let's help you out a bit here:

First, whether you're tuning a prime or zoom lens, results can vary MASSIVELY depending on what target and distance you're using.  Second, if you're tuning a zoom lens, you WILL get different results (if tested correctly) at different zoom lengths.  Third, you may get very different results under different lighting conditions, and/or with different focus targets.

These things that most people don't take into account, and then they wonder why they're still struggling.

I own 3 Nikon bodies (2 of which have fine tune), and about 14 lenses (mostly Nikon but some 3rd party).  They all work great with ZERO fine tune adjustments (even my "infamous" D7000).

As well, MANY, MANY people use bodies with no fine tune option, and produce brilliant, sharp photos.

Fine-tune is a VERY, VERY over-rated and misused "feature".  Period.

jimoyer
Senior MemberPosts: 1,635Gear list
Like?

I have to agree with Westmill.  Especially with some of the longer lenses and longer zoom lenses, it's something for you to consider.  Without seeing images, I can't offer anything more definitive than that though.

I found that my D7100 needed fine tuning with pretty much every lens.  It was frustrating to the point that I nearly got rid of the camera, and sitting down and putting in the time to fine tune it for every lens paid huge dividends.  The only OOF images I get now are ones that are due to user error.  As long as I do my part, the camera now nails focus every single time.

jimoyer's gear list:jimoyer's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G5 Nikon D7100 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G IF-ED VR Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-200mm F4-5.6 OIS +5 more
AWG_Pics
Contributing MemberPosts: 684Gear list
Like?

Agree with potter... no AF-fine tune needed for my 2 D300s bodies, nor the D700, D7100 or D800. It is an overhyped 'feature' in my opinion. Others may not be happy until they tweak their lenses. Seems like a waste of time to me, but each to their own I suppose.

AWG_Pics's gear list:AWG_Pics's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS2 Nikon Coolpix P330 Nikon D40 Nikon D90 Nikon D700 +40 more
JimPearce
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,349Gear list
Like?
One trick...

Be aggressive with the aperture. According to DPReview the benefit of no OLPF is gone by f5. I generally shoot birds with my 300 f2.8 VR (with or without TC) at f5, and the same with the bare 500 f4. Of course I can't do that with the 500 f4 plus TC, nor can you do that with the 80-400. I'm finding my two main wildlife lenses are incredibly sharp with this camera.

-- hide signature --

Jim

JimPearce's gear list:JimPearce's gear list
Nikon D7100
JK5700
Senior MemberPosts: 1,540Gear list
Like?
In reply to AWG_Pics, 7 months ago

Thanks for the input.

I usually shoot from the car using either a Badger bean bag or Badger window mount with Wimberley II. Bit dangerous to use tripods with lions about. When shooting from bird hides, I usually use a bean bag on the counter.

I will definitely push my speed  up. I am used to making 1/800 a minimum, but will now push it more. I also bought Focal a while ago and now that the D7100 version is available, I will try to fine tune. Can also reset if it does not help.

www.pbase.com/kennekam

JK5700's gear list:JK5700's gear list
Fujifilm X100S Nikon D200 Nikon D4 Nikon D7100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G IF-ED VR +9 more
chary zp
Regular MemberPosts: 432Gear list
Like?
Overrated? Loads of BS!

nfpotter wrote:

Westmill wrote:

nfpotter wrote:

Westmill wrote:

JK5700 wrote:

-- hide signature --

www.pbase.com/kennekam

Eh ? what nonsense. Certainly not even going to start going down that road with you.

First, whether you're tuning a prime or zoom lens, results can vary MASSIVELY depending on what target and distance you're using. Second, if you're tuning a zoom lens, you WILL get different results (if tested correctly) at different zoom lengths. Third, you may get very different results under different lighting conditions, and/or with different focus targets.

These things that most people don't take into account, and then they wonder why they're still struggling.

I own 3 Nikon bodies (2 of which have fine tune), and about 14 lenses (mostly Nikon but some 3rd party). They all work great with ZERO fine tune adjustments (even my "infamous" D7000).

As well, MANY, MANY people use bodies with no fine tune option, and produce brilliant, sharp photos.

Fine-tune is a VERY, VERY over-rated and misused "feature". Period.

Out of sheer curiosity I did finetune when I got my D7100. The results?

Nik 85/1,8G -8

Nik 35/2D -15

Nik 50/1,8D -11

Nik 18-105vr -9 (weighed average)

Nik 18-70 -6 (weighed average)

Sig 10-20/4-5,6 +20 (weighed average, stress on widest)

Tam 200-500 +8 (across the span)

Tam 70-200/2,8 -8 (across the span)

I daresay that fine tune helped me A LOT to get the best possible from my lenses.

chary zp's gear list:chary zp's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P7700 Nikon D90 Nikon D200 Nikon D7100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR +8 more
six34sigma
Senior MemberPosts: 1,049Gear list
Like?

Found the camera, D7100, more demanding than my D90 in terms of technique with the same lenses. So I took some time, a 1/2 day and worked with my lenses especially my 80-200, controlled breathing, kept elbows, etc. The other thing I did was started using single point AF when I could and set the AE-L/AF-L button to AF-ON meaning I separated my AF and shutter actuation. Use the control dial to move the point to where I want. Use AF-ON all the time now regardless of AF-A/C/3D or number of focus points. The D7100 does have a weakness in tracking along the edges, with cross type sensors all concentrated in the center. Once I did/learned these few things was back to my keeper rate as with my D90 rapidly. Meaning there was no technical flaw with the shot. Many other issues that make me unhappy, like composition but thats my fault.

Have to say I am still experimenting with some things like ISO, where I pushed the ISO to 2500 with the D7100 and did not like the noise. Easy enough to cure with NX2, but still in learning curve.

Suggest you try AF-ON with single point where appropriate and see if that helps.

-- hide signature --

Regards,
Sanjay

six34sigma's gear list:six34sigma's gear list
Nikon D90 Nikon D7100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D Tokina AT-X Pro 11-16mm f/2.8 DX +3 more
chary zp
Like?
In reply to jimoyer, 7 months ago

jimoyer wrote:

I have to agree with Westmill. Especially with some of the longer lenses and longer zoom lenses, it's something for you to consider. Without seeing images, I can't offer anything more definitive than that though.

I found that my D7100 needed fine tuning with pretty much every lens. It was frustrating to the point that I nearly got rid of the camera, and sitting down and putting in the time to fine tune it for every lens paid huge dividends. The only OOF images I get now are ones that are due to user error. As long as I do my part, the camera now nails focus every single time.

Couldn't agree more!

Nikon Coolpix P7700 Nikon D90 Nikon D200 Nikon D7100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR +8 more
nfpotter
Like?
Re: Overrated? Loads of BS!
In reply to chary zp, 7 months ago

chary zp wrote:

nfpotter wrote:

Westmill wrote:

nfpotter wrote:

Westmill wrote:

JK5700 wrote:

-- hide signature --

www.pbase.com/kennekam

First, whether you're tuning a prime or zoom lens, results can vary MASSIVELY depending on what target and distance you're using. Second, if you're tuning a zoom lens, you WILL get different results (if tested correctly) at different zoom lengths. Third, you may get very different results under different lighting conditions, and/or with different focus targets.

I own 3 Nikon bodies (2 of which have fine tune), and about 14 lenses (mostly Nikon but some 3rd party). They all work great with ZERO fine tune adjustments (even my "infamous" D7000).

Nik 85/1,8G -8

Nik 35/2D -15

Nik 50/1,8D -11

I daresay that fine tune helped me A LOT to get the best possible from my lenses.

Like MOST people that "report" this, you are only stating what you THINK you know.  There is absolutely NO evidence that your results are "correct", especially with no before and after shots, no description or pics of your test method.  You have to understand that MANY, MANY people have done the same as you - no proof.

Strap all of those lenses on, say a D5100, or any body that doesn't have fine tune.

I would bet a fairly large sum of money that you never needed any of it.

chary zp
Like?
not a waste of time
In reply to AWG_Pics, 7 months ago

AWG_Pics wrote:

Agree with potter... no AF-fine tune needed for my 2 D300s bodies, nor the D700, D7100 or D800. It is an overhyped 'feature' in my opinion. Others may not be happy until they tweak their lenses. Seems like a waste of time to me, but each to their own I suppose.

I had to send my D90 to be finetuned with 18-105 in the Nikon service. Now with D7100 I can do it myself and my lens collection varies from -15 to +20. Not a waste of time at all to me, but not everybody is as lucky as you are, apparently

chary zp
Like?

nfpotter wrote:

chary zp wrote:

nfpotter wrote:

Westmill wrote:

nfpotter wrote:

Westmill wrote:

JK5700 wrote:

-- hide signature --

www.pbase.com/kennekam

Nik 85/1,8G -8

Nik 35/2D -15

Nik 50/1,8D -11

Like MOST people that "report" this, you are only stating what you THINK you know. There is absolutely NO evidence that your results are "correct", especially with no before and after shots, no description or pics of your test method. You have to understand that MANY, MANY people have done the same as you - no proof.

Strap all of those lenses on, say a D5100, or any body that doesn't have fine tune.

Having shot a series of photos with different settings and having picked the sharpest ones is enough proof for me. What proof would you like, and why? In my language there is a saying which goes something like "you do not need to persuade your friends and your enemies cannot be persuaded". Your offensive method of argumentation discourages me from any over-the-limit effort.

I had my D90 + 18-105 combo fine tuned in Nikon service (backfocus) in the old days and now I can do it myself. Advantage: fine tune.

If if in-camera fine-tune was so useless, why would they have put it in there in the first place? Why are there so many issues of front focus / back focus and why do I buy lenses with a laptop and check them in the shop to see which of them is the sharpest and best centered? Or do you really think that front focus and back focus are virtual, non-existent issues? You made my day, sir

nfpotter
Like?
In reply to chary zp, 7 months ago

chary zp wrote:

nfpotter wrote:

chary zp wrote:

nfpotter wrote:

Westmill wrote:

nfpotter wrote:

Westmill wrote:

JK5700 wrote:

-- hide signature --

www.pbase.com/kennekam

Nik 85/1,8G -8

Nik 35/2D -15

Nik 50/1,8D -11

Like MOST people that "report" this, you are only stating what you THINK you know. There is absolutely NO evidence that your results are "correct", especially with no before and after shots, no description or pics of your test method. You have to understand that MANY, MANY people have done the same as you - no proof.

Having shot a series of photos with different settings and having picked the sharpest ones is enough proof for me. What proof would you like, and why? In my language there is a saying which goes something like "you do not need to persuade your friends and your enemies cannot be persuaded". Your offensive method of argumentation discourages me from any over-the-limit effort.

I had my D90 + 18-105 combo fine tuned in Nikon service (backfocus) in the old days and now I can do it myself. Advantage: fine tune.

If if in-camera fine-tune was so useless, why would they have put it in there in the first place? Why are there so many issues of front focus / back focus and why do I buy lenses with a laptop and check them in the shop to see which of them is the sharpest and best centered? Or do you really think that front focus and back focus are virtual, non-existent issues? You made my day, sir

You are welcome to your opinion. I have mine. I should also mention that I DID, at one point, have to send my D7000 to Nikon service (I had a BAD case of lubricant on the sensor, early D7000 production run). At the same time, I had them look at focus with the 18-105 VR, because I could not get sharp shots with it on that body (although it worked fine on my other bodies). I didn't even send the lens, but when I got the camera back, it worked great with the 18-105. None of my 12-13 other lenses needed help. Go figure.

There is, as another example, another case, that I should bring up.  It is quite widely known that the D7000, paired with the AFS 35mm f/1.8, has some major problems with correct focus under incandescent light.  It's all over the place, and I have it.  At one point, I "fine-tuned" that lens as best I could (-20 wasn't even quite enough, but was close), but as soon as I'd get it ANY other light temperature, then my focus was off.  A zero fine tune, it still works fantastically in all but pure incandescent light.

Point in case: take AF Fine Tune with a VERY large grain of salt.

It seems you're missing my point. Here's what happens:
A "newbie" buys a camera, then reads about AF Fine Tune, and whether the camera REALLY needs adjustment or not, said "newbie" decides to play with it, almost always using improper analysis technique. This is massively exaggerated by that "newbie" reading sites like dpreview and others, and reading about "focus issues" with this or that body, and any number of other supposed "issues".

You should know that I'm correct, if you've spent more than a few minutes on the internet.

I'm not saying that AF Fine Tune is a bad feature, or doesn't serve a purpose. I'm stating, with some fair amount of real-world knowledge, that a VERY, VERY large percentage of people that THINK they need fine tune simply do not. Maybe you did, but a company as big as Nikon is NOT NOT NOT going to ship a large percentage of any give model with calibration issues. Period. It is FAR too competitive a marketplace for them to do that.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads