Lenstip tests the DA 20-40 F2.8-4 Limited lens!

Started 8 months ago | Discussions
DAVID MANZE
Senior MemberPosts: 1,628Gear list
Like?
Lenstip tests the DA 20-40 F2.8-4 Limited lens!
8 months ago

Hi guys,

After a disappointing review of this lens on Pentax Forums in terms of their results at the 40mm end regarding edge performance, I'm pleased to see the review from my favourite site LensTip has just been published, here's the link!

http://www.lenstip.com/2078-news-Pentax_HD_DA_20-40_mm_f_2.8-4.0_ED_Limited_DC_WR_-_lens_review.html

-- hide signature --

Dave's clichés

DAVID MANZE's gear list:DAVID MANZE's gear list
Sigma 50-500mm F4.5-6.3 DG OS HSM Pentax K20D Pentax K-5 Pentax K-01 Pentax K-3 +14 more
Ian Leach
Senior MemberPosts: 1,230
Like?
Re: Lenstip tests the DA 20-40 F2.8-4 Limited lens!
In reply to DAVID MANZE, 8 months ago

I wish there were more reviews to be sure about this lens as far as scenic photography is concerned. Looking at the full size samples the lens seems soft even at f8 (building shots), no better than my kit lens. Maybe they got a poor sample may be not, I would want to see more samples from other copies of the lens to really decide.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
JL Salvignol
Contributing MemberPosts: 873Gear list
Like?

David, Thank you for the link.

Always the same sauce: the price of   compact designwith more and more demanding sensors is increasingly higher. But the Sigma is so big and heavy  

-- hide signature --

JLS

JL Salvignol's gear list:JL Salvignol's gear list
Sigma DP2 Merrill Nikon 1 V1 Pentax K-01 Nikon 1 S1 Nikon 1 V3 +12 more
miles green
Senior MemberPosts: 3,597Gear list
Like?

I just read the review, very interesting.

They compare the 20-40 directly with the sigma 18-35 f/1.8, interestingly.

The Siggy is much sharper, in the center and especially at the edges of the frame.

Chromatic abberations are a little better with the Siggy too... distortion similar, AF speed too.

But the Siggy completely drops the ball when it comes to flare control, whereas the 20-40 is close to perfect.

-- hide signature --

Miles Green
Pentaxian with chronic LBA
Corfu, Greece

miles green's gear list:miles green's gear list
Pentax K-5 Sigma 70-200mm F2.8 EX DG Macro HSM II Pentax smc DA 21mm F3.2 AL Limited Pentax smc FA 31mm F1.8 AL Limited Pentax smc FA 43mm F1.9 Limited +9 more
DAVID MANZE
Senior MemberPosts: 1,628Gear list
Like?
In reply to Ian Leach, 8 months ago

Ian Leach wrote:

I wish there were more reviews to be sure about this lens as far as scenic photography is concerned. Looking at the full size samples the lens seems soft even at f8 (building shots), no better than my kit lens. Maybe they got a poor sample may be not, I would want to see more samples from other copies of the lens to really decide.

-- hide signature --

Lenstip state that their images are unsharpened and to me they look just that, even the Zeiss Otus 55mm 1.4 images didn't look that great and that's the sharpest lens on the planet.

It's killed Pentax Forums "call" that it could not achieve sharp borders at 40mm even when stopping down. When it's price comes down it looks pretty good for a compact zoom.

Dave's clichés

DAVID MANZE's gear list:DAVID MANZE's gear list
Sigma 50-500mm F4.5-6.3 DG OS HSM Pentax K20D Pentax K-5 Pentax K-01 Pentax K-3 +14 more
Ian Leach
Senior MemberPosts: 1,230
Like?

DAVID MANZE wrote:

Ian Leach wrote:

-- hide signature --

Lenstip state that their images are unsharpened and to me they look just that, even the Zeiss Otus 55mm 1.4 images didn't look that great and that's the sharpest lens on the planet.

It's killed Pentax Forums "call" that it could not achieve sharp borders at 40mm even when stopping down. When it's price comes down it looks pretty good for a compact zoom.

Dave's clichés

I could not see a comment that the samples were raw conversions with no sharpening so I took it that they were out of camera jpg. If so they have the default jpg sharpening and I don’t think the photos look sharp enough in that case. If they are raw conversions without sharpening I think that is a bit of a weird way to do samples. However it is worth noting that I'm a bit of a geek concerning sharpness.

citrontokyo
Contributing MemberPosts: 767Gear list
Like?

"As our test showed, the Pentax HD DA 20–40 mm f/2.8–4.0 ED Limited DC WR is not such a pearl of a lens so it seems to be aimed only at the biggest fans of that brand, still remembering and venerating the legend of the cult Limited lenses which, currently, is becoming more and more tarnished."

This doesn't sound like a positive review.

"New users and those immune to the Limited magic will be hardly encouraged by this instrument to enter the Pentax system."

He says it's not a bad lens, it's just not a good lens either. He harps on it being overpriced, and compares it negatively to the Sigma 1.8 zoom. Sorry, but you really have to spin this to make it sound in any way better than the 18-55 kit zoom, which is smaller, lighter, also WR, and a quarter of the price!

I'm not usually negative on any Pentax products, but with this lens, it just seems like we're being scammed. How many negative reviews does it take to flush out the effects of drinking too much Kool Aid?

citrontokyo's gear list:citrontokyo's gear list
Pentax K-5 Pentax smc DA 55-300mm F4.0-5.8 ED Pentax smc DA 21mm F3.2 AL Limited Pentax smc DA 70mm F2.4 AL Limited Pentax smc FA 43mm F1.9 Limited +4 more
Walt_A
Senior MemberPosts: 1,535
Like?
In reply to Ian Leach, 8 months ago

Ian Leach wrote:

I could not see a comment that the samples were raw conversions with no sharpening so I took it that they were out of camera jpg. If so they have the default jpg sharpening and I don’t think the photos look sharp enough in that case. If they are raw conversions without sharpening I think that is a bit of a weird way to do samples. However it is worth noting that I'm a bit of a geek concerning sharpness.

It's discussed in their FAQ's, a quote from them "It is also worth noticing that all sample photos are taken with the noise reduction switched off and sharpening set on minimum or low, depending on a given camera, in order to make the comparison between them easier. As most of users don’t set the sharpening so low in their cameras our sample shots might seem weak to them."

Alex Sarbu
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,501Gear list
Like?

DAVID MANZE wrote:

Hi guys,

After a disappointing review of this lens on Pentax Forums in terms of their results at the 40mm end regarding edge performance, I'm pleased to see the review from my favourite site LensTip has just been published, here's the link!

http://www.lenstip.com/2078-news-Pentax_HD_DA_20-40_mm_f_2.8-4.0_ED_Limited_DC_WR_-_lens_review.html

Pretty negative. However, while the people at lenstip looks quite competent and knowledgeable, I have a hard time believing a site which claims the DA21 is sharper than the DA70.

I guess that with all these reviews, you don't know much about a lens until you use one yourself.

-- hide signature --

Dave's clichés

Alex

Alex Sarbu's gear list:Alex Sarbu's gear list
Pentax K20D Pentax K-5 Pentax smc DA* 60-250mm F4.0 ED (IF) SDM Pentax smc DA 21mm F3.2 AL Limited Pentax smc DA 70mm F2.4 AL Limited +4 more
Walt_A
Like?
In reply to Alex Sarbu, 8 months ago

Alex Sarbu wrote:

DAVID MANZE wrote:

Hi guys,

Pretty negative. However, while the people at lenstip looks quite competent and knowledgeable, I have a hard time believing a site which claims the DA21 is sharper than the DA70.

I guess that with all these reviews, you don't know much about a lens until you use one yourself.

I haven't recently read these tests and am therefore not aware if the claim they 21 is sharper than the 70, however are you aware they were tested on different cameras? K10D and K-5 so you cannot compare the image resolution figures directly?

Alex Sarbu
Like?
In reply to Walt_A, 8 months ago

Walt_A wrote:

Alex Sarbu wrote:

DAVID MANZE wrote:

Hi guys,

I haven't recently read these tests and am therefore not aware if the claim they 21 is sharper than the 70, however are you aware they were tested on different cameras? K10D and K-5 so you cannot compare the image resolution figures directly?

I am aware of that; still, it shouldn't win by a landslide.

I have both lenses and for me there is no doubt: the 70mm is the better one, and with more uniform characteristics.

Alex

Pentax K20D Pentax K-5 Pentax smc DA* 60-250mm F4.0 ED (IF) SDM Pentax smc DA 21mm F3.2 AL Limited Pentax smc DA 70mm F2.4 AL Limited +4 more
KL Matt
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,162
Like?
Ransacking Pentax Limited brand for a quick buck

If that's what Ricoh is all about, we're in trouble.

It's difficult to understand what else this could possibly be. Releasing a Limited that is a Limited in name, appearance, and price only without the optical quality to back that up is sabotage. I wonder if that decision won't come back to haunt them much sooner than they expected.

Hint: lots of us are here for the great optics. If that is no longer priority number one, Ricoh better hope they find a large, gullible horde of new users who are more interested in looks and monikers than fine optics and don't have any financial constraints to influence their buying decisions.

Good luck with that. Maybe Lenstip just got a bad sample, and the noticeably poor sharpness and contrast visible to the naked eye at f/4 is just an anomaly. Hope so! Other reviews will hopefully confirm or deny.

Matt

-- hide signature --

... interested in .... photographs? Heh? Know what a mean? Photographs? (He asked him knowingly). Nudge nudge, snap snap, grin grin, wink wink, say no more, say no more, know what a' mean? Know what a' mean?
http://www.pentaxphotogallery.com/home#section=ARTIST&subSection=183820&subSubSection=0&language=EN

Walt_A
Like?
In reply to Alex Sarbu, 8 months ago

Alex Sarbu wrote:

Walt_A wrote:

Alex Sarbu wrote:

DAVID MANZE wrote:

Hi guys,

I have both lenses and for me there is no doubt: the 70mm is the better one, and with more uniform characteristics.

I don't want to derail this thread as it's about the 20-40 however I would say looking at the image resolution chart for the 21 and the 70, the 70 is better. It has a better balance between the centre and edge resolution and better wide open etc. I'm just wondering why you think the 21 wins by a landslide, is there something I've missed in the review?

miles green
Senior MemberPosts: 3,597Gear list
Like?
Pentax vs Siggy flare
In reply to miles green, 8 months ago

from the same lenstip site...

Pentax 20-40 left, Sigma 18-35 right

As no lens is perfect, so it's easy to fling dung around. So here i go, just for kicks:

When it comes to flare control, even the kit zoom of the Q is (much) better than the Sigma 18-35, which is obviously NOT a landscape lens. Even stitched panos will be impossible...

The pentax 20-40 on the other hand, has perfect flare control, is 1/4th the weight, and is weatherproof.

Horses for courses...

-- hide signature --

Miles Green
Pentaxian with chronic LBA
Corfu, Greece

miles green's gear list:miles green's gear list
Pentax K-5 Sigma 70-200mm F2.8 EX DG Macro HSM II Pentax smc DA 21mm F3.2 AL Limited Pentax smc FA 31mm F1.8 AL Limited Pentax smc FA 43mm F1.9 Limited +9 more
Heie2
Regular MemberPosts: 475Gear list
Like?
Re: Pentax vs Siggy flare

At least we know the HD coating wasn't just marketing - it really freaking works

-Heie

-- hide signature --

Need affordable /weather sealing/ in a DSLR you can trust?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eo61t5fH6Qw&feature=player_embedded
Think there aren't any opportunities to shoot in poor weather, and thus no benefits to weather sealing?
http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/readflat.asp?forum=1036&message=42338261

Heie2's gear list:Heie2's gear list
Pentax K-7 Pentax K-5 Pentax K-3 Pentax smc DA* 55mm F1.4 SDM Pentax smc DA* 16-50mm F2.8 ED AL (IF) SDM +3 more
Alex Sarbu
Like?
In reply to Walt_A, 8 months ago

Walt_A wrote:

Alex Sarbu wrote:

Walt_A wrote:

Alex Sarbu wrote:

DAVID MANZE wrote:

Hi guys,

I don't want to derail this thread as it's about the 20-40 however I would say looking at the image resolution chart for the 21 and the 70, the 70 is better. It has a better balance between the centre and edge resolution and better wide open etc. I'm just wondering why you think the 21 wins by a landslide, is there something I've missed in the review?

It's a figure of speech It does so because it's quite good in the center, and because of the higher resolution camera; in the corners they're more or less equal.

It doesn't feel right, not with a 25% vertical resolution increase - but a much stronger AA filter.

Alex

yesman12
Contributing MemberPosts: 828Gear list
Like?

I was at CES and tried both the 20-40 and the sigma 18-35. To be honest, the difference in size is more than offset by the performance and speed of the sigma.  Hats off to sigma for making a great product.  No way I would get the 20-40 so I agree with Lens tips.  As far as weather sealing.... plenty of pentax lenses in this range.  (18-55, 18-135, 16-50).  So really not a factor.

-- hide signature --

A picture is worth a thousand words but talk is cheap.
Best regards
Nick

yesman12's gear list:yesman12's gear list
Pentax smc FA 77mm 1.8 Limited
jeanphilippe Goube
Senior MemberPosts: 1,362Gear list
Like?
Re: Pentax vs Siggy flare

For me, these are different lenses for different usages :

Pentax 20-40 will shine for landscapes or buildings - no matter to stop down to f5.6

Sigma will shine in coverage of an event, poor light conditions

-- hide signature --

jpgoube

jeanphilippe Goube's gear list:jeanphilippe Goube's gear list
HD Pentax DA 15mm F4 ED AL Limited Pentax Q Pentax K-3 Pentax smc DA 70mm F2.4 AL Limited Pentax smc FA 31mm F1.8 AL Limited +13 more
wed7
New MemberPosts: 8Gear list
Like?
In reply to yesman12, 8 months ago

Pentax Forums and Lenstip made their review, I wish DPR and Photozone would release theirs,...

I was able to use this lens for a short period of time, handling seems trally great but I cannot judge it's optics, but from my short experience, I will not give up my Tamron 17-50 that easy, but being WR looks really handy, but then again,... the asking price is too much for me at the moment.

wed7's gear list:wed7's gear list
Pentax K-30 Pentax smc DA 21mm F3.2 AL Limited Pentax smc DA 70mm F2.4 AL Limited Tamron SP AF 17-50mm F/2.8 XR Di II LD Aspherical (IF) Pentax smc DA 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 AL WR +3 more
Bill Robb
Senior MemberPosts: 3,332
Like?

miles green wrote:

I just read the review, very interesting.

They compare the 20-40 directly with the sigma 18-35 f/1.8, interestingly.

The Siggy is much sharper, in the center and especially at the edges of the frame.

Chromatic abberations are a little better with the Siggy too... distortion similar, AF speed too.

But the Siggy completely drops the ball when it comes to flare control, whereas the 20-40 is close to perfect.

What's a 'Siggy'?

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads