Penrax K3 weather sealing problem.

Started 8 months ago | Discussions
me_tarzan
Regular MemberPosts: 216
Like?
8 months ago

I just went out in light rain with my Pentax K3. All seals closed on the camera. (I've had a Pentax K7 and K5 for years and know what they can and can't do). After about 15 minutes in the rain, I noticed water getting into the top display box. The camera still is working after 1 hour but the presence of water in this part of the camera hardly inspires confidence. I'm assuming the camera was made either with a mal positioned seal or possiblya missing seal. Obviously I'll take it to the camera so tomorrow and complain but I wondered if anyone else has had this problem? I was using the 18-135 WR lens, which I use regularly on the K5 (in the rain) and have never had a problem. The rain wasn't even heavy. It was what I'd refer to as heavy spitting or light rain. Not happy as I was told the K3 was even more sealed than the K5 and K7. I've taken some pictures with my Galaxy Note 3 (even that didn't let water in) if anyone's interested.
Any suggestions or advice would be appreciated.
Ian
Queensland, Australia.

sleepwalker400
Contributing MemberPosts: 941Gear list
Like?
Re: Penrax K3 weather sealing problem.
In reply to me_tarzan, 8 months ago

SHAME ON IT

sleepwalker400's gear list:sleepwalker400's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-R1 Pentax *ist DL Pentax K10D Pentax K-30
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
ozdean
Forum ProPosts: 20,486Gear list
Like?

Take it straight back and ask fro a replacement - it is faulty.

-- hide signature --

Regards Dean - Capturing Creation
N.B. All my Images are Protected by Copyright

ozdean's gear list:ozdean's gear list
Pentax MX-1 Pentax smc DA 15mm F4 ED AL Limited Pentax smc DA* 60-250mm F4.0 ED (IF) SDM Pentax smc DA 70mm F2.4 AL Limited Pentax smc D-FA 100mm F2.8 Macro WR +7 more
me_tarzan
Like?
In reply to ozdean, 8 months ago

For sure. The camera is only a month old but it's a little disconcerting that this should have happened in the first place. Pentax have always been (in my experience) extremely well made and reliable. Have the new company (Ricoh) dropped production quality standards? It would be a sad day if Pentax lost the very thing that they have always been famous for ie, reliability and high quality.

Leandros S
Senior MemberPosts: 1,111Gear list
Like?
One faulty camera doesn't make a pattern (nt)
-- hide signature --

No amount of perceived entitlement can replace actual expertise.

me_tarzan
Like?
Re: One faulty camera doesn't make a pattern (nt)
In reply to Leandros S, 8 months ago

Fair comment but it's just that in so many years of being a Pentax user (film and digital), this is the first time that I've had a new Pentax that has a glaring mechanical fault. I've seen software issues with Pentax. They were irritating but rain getting into a weatherproof camera is a fundamental fail. Pentax is such a respected name, their equipment has been used by professionals and amateurs for 60 years. I just hope that this experience of mine isn't a harbinger of Pentax's future.

ryanshoots
Regular MemberPosts: 401
Like?

Hopefully they stand behind it better than they did for this longtime Pentax user in a similar situation.

http://pentaxworld.com/forum/pentax-dslr/a-word-of-caution-regarding-the-weather-sealing-of-our-camera-equipment/

me_tarzan
Like?
Re: One faulty camera doesn't make a pattern (nt)

Well, if they let me down, it will be the very last time I ever buy or recommend a Pentax. But would Ricoh/Pentax possibly be concerned about one customer? - Doubtful. These are big companies and I'm sure they don't really care whether one person is disenchanted. Is there equipment out there that is made to a better standard? Any experience with Nikon, Canon, Sigma etc?

Wallace Ross
Senior MemberPosts: 1,912
Like?

There is no point in arguing and speculating about what they will and wont do and what was the source of the problem.  I hope they do obviously support it and let us know what happens but I see no point that some big long thread builds about Ricoh QC and build based on the information so far.

-- hide signature --
me_tarzan
Like?
In reply to Wallace Ross, 8 months ago

It's unfortunate - extremely unfortunate - that there is always one person who finds comments regarding problems encountered offensive in some way. Your post was unhelpful, unpleasant and inappropriate.

Please refer to the preceding post so that you can see why I am concerned.

Since making post on this and other forums, I have received responses from a number of people who have had their warranties arbitrarily voided by Pentax, for just this same issue. The grounds given were "any internal water damage voids the warranty". The irony of advertising a camera as weatherproof, then voiding the warranty on the basis of water ingress seems to escape Pentax. (and seems inconsequential to you). Had you bought an expensive camera and after 30 days it failed miserably you might have shown a little more sympathy. Your lofty and righteously indignant recommendation for patience would be understandable if you worked for the Ricoh Public Relations department (I assume you don't). This is supposed to be a friendly community where free interchange of ideas, thoughts, problems and suggestions abound. The camera cost me $1800. I'm now facing an uncertain situation and you feel it appropriate to complain about my concerns as being in some way premature.

Shame on you. This is a forum for Pentax enthusiasts. In what way do you consider that your odious comments are in the good spirit of our community?

Zvonimir Tosic
Senior MemberPosts: 2,191Gear list
Like?
Don't make fuss out of it — just replace it

me_tarzan wrote:

Fair comment but it's just that in so many years of being a Pentax user (film and digital), this is the first time that I've had a new Pentax that has a glaring mechanical fault. I've seen software issues with Pentax. They were irritating but rain getting into a weatherproof camera is a fundamental fail. Pentax is such a respected name, their equipment has been used by professionals and amateurs for 60 years. I just hope that this experience of mine isn't a harbinger of Pentax's future.

You did a good job of testing it out in adverse weather.

Then do yourself another favour, and don't make too much fuss out of this — it happens, and you can get a new one. You are covered.

-- hide signature --

Zvonimir Tosic
“A portrait is not made in the camera, but on either side of it.”
— Edward Steichen

Zvonimir Tosic's gear list:Zvonimir Tosic's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100
Cigarguy
Regular MemberPosts: 248
Like?
Re: Don't make fuss out of it — just replace it
In reply to Zvonimir Tosic, 8 months ago

^^^ I agree. Every once in a while product X of brand Y will slip through QC or is shipped when it shouldn't. Doesn't mean the whole line is crap/defective or otherwise. Just means that your particular item isn't up to snuff. That's why they have warranties and return policy.  This can happen with anything; a $2,500 fridge, $50 camera or $80,000 car.

ozdean
Forum ProPosts: 20,486Gear list
Like?

Ditto as Zvonimir said, you are covered, CRK are excellent with warranty and returns and really do the best by their customers, send a photo with the camera and I don't think they will even question it.

-- hide signature --

Regards Dean - Capturing Creation
N.B. All my Images are Protected by Copyright

ozdean's gear list:ozdean's gear list
Pentax MX-1 Pentax smc DA 15mm F4 ED AL Limited Pentax smc DA* 60-250mm F4.0 ED (IF) SDM Pentax smc DA 70mm F2.4 AL Limited Pentax smc D-FA 100mm F2.8 Macro WR +7 more
Mike Hiran
Contributing MemberPosts: 848Gear list
Like?

Does not sound like something that should have happened, and I can understand your frustration.  But I don't think we've heard of this happening alot (actually this is the first I've heard of a k3 WR issue) so I don't think there's enough data to suggest a pattern.  Fortunately this happened during your warranty period so this should be taken care of by Pentax or the store you purchased the camera from.  Hopefully it gets handled quickly.

Good luck!

Mike Hiran's gear list:Mike Hiran's gear list
Pentax K-7 Pentax K-5 Pentax Q Pentax K-01 Pentax K-30 +22 more
tcom
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,983Gear list
Like?

Zvonimir Tosic wrote:

me_tarzan wrote:

Then do yourself another favour, and don't make too much fuss out of this — it happens, and you can get a new one. You are covered.

A few months ago, I would have given the same reply. But in the meantime, I have learned that water ingress is a reason for Ricoh to void the warranty. It is now up to Ricoh to decide whether they honor the warranty or voiding it.

I wish good luck to the original poster.

Not only did I have to pay a new camera after Ricoh voided the warranty, I also had to pay a service tax since the 10 months old camera was not anymore under warranty...

My mistake was to have used the K5 IIs in the fog on an afternoon with a non weather sealed lens, the DA15. Even if the analyses of the inner parts of the camera points to a defect in the seal of the AF/MF switch, Ricoh does not mind, water ingress is a reason to void the warranty.

My lessons learned is not to use a weather sealed Ricoh camera again in adverse conditions without weather sealed lens. I also took an insurance on photo equipment covering a wide range of damages, even water ingress and hope in case of a similar problem, the insurance will deal with Ricoh on why they exclude the seals from the warranty on weather sealed equipment.

On a side note, I ended up replacing the k5 IIs by buying two K3. I figured out I will cover the one or other stopover of the Volvo Ocean Race next year and even if my Nikon D4 should not have a problem resisting to the adverse conditions, it remains cheaper to replace the K3 than the D4.

tcom's gear list:tcom's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix S5 Pro Pentax 645D Nikon D4 Leica M Typ 240 Pentax K-3 +24 more
tcom
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,983Gear list
Like?

That's exactly the problem. You can take whatever product photo Ricoh uses to advertise the weather sealed cameras and mentionning whenever they can ths unique selling point in this price category, but then, they protect themselves by excluding the seals from the warranty.

The other problem are these forums. We all have taken our weather sealed equipment out in pretty bad conditions and most of the time are pretty impressed on how well the camera dealt with it. But if a problem arises, there is the common understanding that since it is weather sealed, the damage is covered by the warranty, where Ricoh clearly took that out and leaves it to their own decision to honor the warranty or not.

Best luck with solving your problem.

tcom's gear list:tcom's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix S5 Pro Pentax 645D Nikon D4 Leica M Typ 240 Pentax K-3 +24 more
Ian Stuart Forsyth
Senior MemberPosts: 1,844Gear list
Like?
In reply to tcom, 8 months ago

tcom wrote:

Zvonimir Tosic wrote:

me_tarzan wrote:

A few months ago, I would have given the same reply. But in the meantime, I have learned that water ingress is a reason for Ricoh to void the warranty. It is now up to Ricoh to decide whether they honor the warranty or voiding it.

I wish good luck to the original poster.

Not only did I have to pay a new camera after Ricoh voided the warranty, I also had to pay a service tax since the 10 months old camera was not anymore under warranty...

My mistake was to have used the K5 IIs in the fog on an afternoon with a non weather sealed lens, the DA15. Even if the analyses of the inner parts of the camera points to a defect in the seal of the AF/MF switch, Ricoh does not mind, water ingress is a reason to void the warranty.

My lessons learned is not to use a weather sealed Ricoh camera again in adverse conditions without weather sealed lens. I also took an insurance on photo equipment covering a wide range of damages, even water ingress and hope in case of a similar problem, the insurance will deal with Ricoh on why they exclude the seals from the warranty on weather sealed equipment.

On a side note, I ended up replacing the k5 IIs by buying two K3. I figured out I will cover the one or other stopover of the Volvo Ocean Race next year and even if my Nikon D4 should not have a problem resisting to the adverse conditions, it remains cheaper to replace the K3 than the D4.

Did you ever find out with your k5IIs what the oxidation was caused by salt or poor quality casting ?

-- hide signature --

The Camera is only a tool, photography is deciding how to use it.
The hardest part about capturing wildlife is not the photographing portion; it’s getting them to sign a model release

Ian Stuart Forsyth's gear list:Ian Stuart Forsyth's gear list
Pentax *ist DS Pentax K10D Pentax K20D Pentax K-7 Pentax K-5 +19 more
me_tarzan
Like?
In reply to Mike Hiran, 8 months ago

Thanks for the words of encouragement. I'll raise Caine if they try and wriggle out of their responsibility.  I'll see how I go and post the results on the forum as soon as I have more information. It's not likely to be for a few weeks though, since warranty wheels revolve very slowly.

(This silly business about "Look we have a great weatherproof camera but if it gets any water in it, we're going to nullify the guarantee..." seems a little like an umbrella manufacturer advertising how waterproof their product is, then turning their backs on the customer when the umbrella leaks....

Maybe I just don't have a well developed sense of humour.

me_tarzan
Like?
In reply to tcom, 8 months ago

Believe me, I'm going to give this 100% effort. If Pentax try and stiff me on this I will not take it lying down.

Either the camera is weatherproof, in which case it's guaranteed or it's not weatherproof, in which case I'll be making complaints galore to the advertising authorities. Pentax can't have it both way.

Alex Sarbu
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,577Gear list
Like?

me_tarzan wrote:

Believe me, I'm going to give this 100% effort. If Pentax try and stiff me on this I will not take it lying down.

Either the camera is weatherproof, in which case it's guaranteed or it's not weatherproof, in which case I'll be making complaints galore to the advertising authorities. Pentax can't have it both way.

Just start in a non-confrontational manner - they might be willing to solve the problem.

Alex

Alex Sarbu's gear list:Alex Sarbu's gear list
Pentax K20D Pentax K-5 Pentax smc DA* 60-250mm F4.0 ED (IF) SDM Pentax smc DA 21mm F3.2 AL Limited Pentax smc DA 70mm F2.4 AL Limited +4 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads