Started 5 months ago | Discussions
Cigarguy
Regular MemberPosts: 184
Like?
Re: NX1 rumors
In reply to Raw Jaw, 5 months ago

Raw Jaw wrote:

Cigarguy wrote:

Why in the world would Samsung want to put themselves at the mercy of Google by going with Android? It's not like Samsung lacks resources or a camera OS is that complex compared to that of a smartphone. Android is becoming too fragmented and Samsung will have to wait for Google or at the very least get permission from Google in order to do updates.

Not according to this:

http://www.engadget.com/2014/01/26/google-and-samsung-patent-license-deal/

Makes your statements invalid.

Really? IMO, it's wise for Samsung not to get to entangled and dependent on any one manufacturer. Cross licensing of hardware patent is common, necessary and is different than software control. Also an except from the article you linked to.

"The move suggests that Samsung isn't keen on burning any bridges -- even if it starts drifting away from Android, it should remain in Google's good books."

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Raw Jaw
Contributing MemberPosts: 520
Like?
In reply to Cigarguy, 5 months ago

Yes.

Your words: " Samsung will have to wait for Google or at the very least get permission from Google in order to do updates."

Now Samsung does not need  to  "at the very least get permission from Google"

as you state.

Cigarguy
Like?

Without having insider info on the patent deal, I doubt Samsung hardware patent and cross licensing deal allows Samsung access to Google's software and vice versa.  This deal is no doubt very specific and limited in scope and do not give Samsung access to all of Google's patents and technology.

Do you know for a fact that Samsung have the right to change and/or modify Andriod without Google's consent?  How about Gmail, Picasa, Google+, etc? Or are you assuming that Samsung have access to Google's entire empire based on a hardware patent and cross licensing deal?

That would be the patent deal of all patent deals if Samsung now have access to Google's entire empire because of this one deal.

Taffy
Taffy MOD
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,432
Like?

Raw Jaw wrote:

Taffy wrote:

pixelpushing wrote:

tecnoworld wrote:

From photorumors:

'Samsung NX1 will be announced in autumn (Photokina) with a 28MP APS-C sensor and 4k video recording capabilities. The camera will be weather sealed and will run on the Android OS.'

I hope they are wrong about android as an os.

I'd much prefer Android over what the NX300 has. In fact, I'd prefer almost anything over that.

Well I have the NX300, and a Galaxy NX. The 300, as everyone knows has a Tizen OS, while the Galaxy NX has the Android OS. The NX300's OS is head and shoulders above the Android system, IMO. Tha Android is too slow to start, is to power hungry. Despit the Galaxy NX having a lrger battery, it has a much reduced shooting life, when compared to the NX300. With all uneccessary items disabled in the NX300, and juducious use on the on/off control, I can get a full day's shooting and hudreds of pics out of the 300. Using the Galaxy NX with its larger battery, turniing off every uneccassary thing in the camera, i.e. using it only ti take photo's, I can only get around 4 hours of use before it warns me of having a low battery. No, I would take the 300 over a Galaxy NX any day. I also prefer the style, abd size of the NX300. Of course, this is my preference, and I'm listing MY dislikes, but YMMV.

-- hide signature --

Have a good day.
Regards, Allan.

I use my NX 300 with my Nexus 7 tablet with an Eye-Fi card.

I enjoy the best of both Tizen and Androd and can shoot and transfer Raw on the go.

I can see how it would be beneficial in that way. But, as far as I am concerned to use Android in a camera is a big no, no. It is to slow, to cinvoluted and to poer draining. One could nor use a camera spontaneously with Android as an OS, Whereas it is possible with Tizen.

My only real problem with my NX300 is it gets very hot at times. So hot that I switch batteries to help cool it down, A revised NX300 needs an improved heat sink system.

I have no such problems with mine, is it anything to do with your Eye-fi card? i used my NX300 all day in summer heat shooting at the seaside with no trouble at all.

-- hide signature --

Have a good day.
Regards, Allan.

Raw Jaw
Contributing MemberPosts: 520
Like?
In reply to Taffy, 5 months ago

Taffy wrote:

Raw Jaw wrote:

Taffy wrote:

pixelpushing wrote:

tecnoworld wrote:

From photorumors:

'Samsung NX1 will be announced in autumn (Photokina) with a 28MP APS-C sensor and 4k video recording capabilities. The camera will be weather sealed and will run on the Android OS.'

I'd much prefer Android over what the NX300 has. In fact, I'd prefer almost anything over that.

Well I have the NX300, and a Galaxy NX. The 300, as everyone knows has a Tizen OS, while the Galaxy NX has the Android OS. The NX300's OS is head and shoulders above the Android system, IMO. Tha Android is too slow to start, is to power hungry. Despit the Galaxy NX having a lrger battery, it has a much reduced shooting life, when compared to the NX300. With all uneccessary items disabled in the NX300, and juducious use on the on/off control, I can get a full day's shooting and hudreds of pics out of the 300. Using the Galaxy NX with its larger battery, turniing off every uneccassary thing in the camera, i.e. using it only ti take photo's, I can only get around 4 hours of use before it warns me of having a low battery. No, I would take the 300 over a Galaxy NX any day. I also prefer the style, abd size of the NX300. Of course, this is my preference, and I'm listing MY dislikes, but YMMV.

-- hide signature --

Have a good day.
Regards, Allan.

I enjoy the best of both Tizen and Androd and can shoot and transfer Raw on the go.

I can see how it would be beneficial in that way. But, as far as I am concerned to use Android in a camera is a big no, no. It is to slow, to cinvoluted and to poer draining. One could nor use a camera spontaneously with Android as an OS, Whereas it is possible with Tizen.

I agree.

I would like to see some Youtube videos on the NX30 operating on the Smart Camera App on Android.

My only real problem with my NX300 is it gets very hot at times. So hot that I switch batteries to help cool it down, A revised NX300 needs an improved heat sink system.

I have no such problems with mine, is it anything to do with your Eye-fi card? i used my NX300 all day in summer heat shooting at the seaside with no trouble at all.

That could be, I never thought of that.

I will run with and without the Eye-fi and see if there is a difference. Or maybe it is just my camera.

If warranted will report on a new thread.

I am glad you don't have the heat problem and it is not an NX 300 'problem',

-- hide signature --

Have a good day.
Regards, Allan.

Troutguy
Regular MemberPosts: 213Gear list
Like?
In reply to pixelpushing, 5 months ago

pixelpushing wrote:

Troutguy wrote:

tecnoworld wrote:

From photorumors:

I hope they are wrong about android as an os. But I hope they are right for the rest. Of course I hope it'll have a rangefinder body, though I doubt it considering other nx cameras. Alas.

-- hide signature --

* Dear haters, you are now in my ignore list, so your hostile responses are probably not visible to me.

well, its only rumours but, I dont need or want 28MP and I dont need or want 4k video or

Like it or not, tech marches on.

Or do you still use a 4MP camera with a SmartMedia card and 320x240 video? What does 'need' really mean to an amateur enthusiast..?

it means I wont be waiting on pins and needles for a 28mp 4k video featured Android Samsung camera.I dont need those features and

It also means that I wont be willing to pay for something like this from Samsung,and it will no doubt way over-priced.

thats what "need" means to me, may be different for you

jonathanj
Regular MemberPosts: 456Gear list
Like?

Raw Jaw wrote:

I agree with you, I use my NX20 with a Samsung Galaxy Tab and find the combination works really well. I'm also looking forward to having a proper remote shooting app with the NX30, where it's possible to control all the manual settings.  I love android, and I love Samsung cameras, I just see no reason to combine the two.

I think I had issues with my NX20 overheating / shutter problems in very hot weather, but it's hard to tell. (I definitely don't experience the problem in cold weather.) I've heard from others that eye-fi cards can generate heat, so I'd definitely try shooting without it.

jonathanj's gear list:jonathanj's gear list
Nikon 1 V1 Samsung NX20 Samsung NX30 Samsung NX 30mm F2 Pancake Samsung NX 16mm F2.4 Pancake +3 more
ttbek
Contributing MemberPosts: 929Gear list
Like?
In reply to Troutguy, 5 months ago

Troutguy wrote:

pixelpushing wrote:

Troutguy wrote:

tecnoworld wrote:

From photorumors:

I hope they are wrong about android as an os. But I hope they are right for the rest. Of course I hope it'll have a rangefinder body, though I doubt it considering other nx cameras. Alas.

-- hide signature --

* Dear haters, you are now in my ignore list, so your hostile responses are probably not visible to me.

well, its only rumours but, I dont need or want 28MP and I dont need or want 4k video or

Or do you still use a 4MP camera with a SmartMedia card and 320x240 video? What does 'need' really mean to an amateur enthusiast..?

it means I wont be waiting on pins and needles for a 28mp 4k video featured Android Samsung camera.I dont need those features and

It also means that I wont be willing to pay for something like this from Samsung,and it will no doubt way over-priced.

It just means you're not the target audience of this camera Troutguy, this is being geared as their flagship model, if they didn't include 4k video they would probably die of sheer embarrassment.  Also, if they didn't upgrade the sensor they would never get it to sell, consider how many people have been "meh" about the NX30 because there wasn't much (if any?) improvement there., including in the megapixel count.  I understand that you don't need these features right now and may not be waiting in line for one, no worries, not everyone buys the 1D X from Canon right?  Or the Nikon D4, etc..  We're not all looking to buy the highest end model, for various reasons.  If it's overpriced, then it won't sell well and prices will come down (which could be good for me if they come down enough ^_^).

ttbek's gear list:ttbek's gear list
Canon PowerShot SX10 IS Nikon Coolpix L3 Samsung NX300 Samsung NX 30mm F2 Pancake Samsung NX 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OIS +6 more
tecnoworld
Senior MemberPosts: 4,101Gear list
Like?
In reply to ttbek, 5 months ago

I agree with you. And considering that the 20mp sensor will be an 'ald beast' for that time, I hope the new sensor will soon reach all the other models as well (eg. Nx400).

So, if the nx1 will be a huge piece of bulky camera, ppl wanting to go small AND to have the best possible iq will have a choice. And I hope samsung finally realizes that there are ppl wanting small size AND evf (the two things does not exclude one another).

-- hide signature --

tecnoworld's gear list:tecnoworld's gear list
Samsung TL500 Samsung NX100 Samsung NX200 Samsung NX300 Samsung NX 30mm F2 Pancake +11 more
pixelpushing
Contributing MemberPosts: 992Gear list
Like?
In reply to Troutguy, 5 months ago

Troutguy wrote:

it means I wont be waiting on pins and needles for a 28mp 4k video featured Android Samsung camera.I dont need those features and It also means that I wont be willing to pay for something like this from Samsung,and it will no doubt way over-priced.

Everyone is entitled to want what they want, of course. If you don't want an Android powered camera, you can vote with your wallet, obviously.

But overpriced? I don't think that's a safe assumption. I bought my NX300 for $450 and 30mm on the used market for well under $200. I've never seen the 300 retail for more than $599 in brick and mortars like Best Buy, although the NX10/20/30 series commands a higher tag. The £899 UK price of the NX30 16-50 OIS kit does not, however, seem inflated to me. In fact, I think it bodes very well for a $999 USA price (or close to it). Not exactly outrageous for a starting MSRP for that model, and of course NX cameras usually do fall in price within 6-8 months of release.

I guess my confusion with your stance against 4K video and 28MP is, you pay for the progression of tech whether you like it or not. A few years ago, people were saying anything over 10MP was irrational, unworkable and unacceptable at higher ISO. They kicked and screamed and insisted they refused to buy into such excessive features. Today, most of those people probably own 16MP or 24MP models.

4K is inevitable. Higher MP is inevitable. If the product is too much, don't buy it, but I for one would welcome full Android over Tizen. After owning several cameras with very intuitive and direct control schemes (60D, A57, X100, NX100, NX200), I find the new UI very clunky. The whole 'we released the source for Tizen on NX300' thing was a total PR move with inadequate follow through to back it up so nothing has been done with it.

I mean, if you really oppose 'paying' for the advancement of features, just... Stick with the older model, I guess. Or buy something else?

pixelpushing's gear list:pixelpushing's gear list
Sony Alpha 7 Sony FE 28-70mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Samsung Galaxy S4
pixelpushing
Like?
In reply to lol101, 5 months ago

lol101 wrote:

pixelpushing wrote:

tecnoworld wrote:

From photorumors:

I think you are in a very small minority on that subject.

How will I sleep knowing one person thinks I'm in a 'small minority' wishing for a proper Android OS to back up what is otherwise an excellent platform like the NX300? Sorry if I offended you, but Tizen sucks. And the whole open source thing ended up with... What? Nothing.

Samsung's UI has always been recognized as being particularly nice and efficient when it comes to photography and I agree with that.

It was in my NX100 and 200, but not the 300, IMO.

When it comes to downloading apps and games, Android sure does better though...

Apps being the key thing, here. I'd very much like to have a system on my camera (under the camera shell, of course) that could do RAW processing and more seamless sharing/uploading through WiFi.

pixelpushing
Like?
In reply to Taffy, 5 months ago

Taffy wrote:

pixelpushing wrote:

tecnoworld wrote:

From photorumors:

Well I have the NX300, and a Galaxy NX. The 300, as everyone knows has a Tizen OS, while the Galaxy NX has the Android OS. The NX300's OS is head and shoulders above the Android system, IMO. Tha Android is too slow to start, is to power hungry.

That's not necessarily an Android issue, though - they probably didn't optimize the OS for the more demanding camera hardware. My girlfriend's Google Nexus 7 (2014) is blazing fast. Her S3 and my S4 are fast. These products can go hours and hours streaming video and taking photos...I don't see why we couldn't have at least a quad core CPU with 1GB RAM on an NX. Even three year old cell phones have that.

What about a scaled down Android shell or UX like they did with Tizen? I doubt the NX300 would run as smoothly or as long with a completely un-tweaked distro of full Linux...

Despit the Galaxy NX having a lrger battery, it has a much reduced shooting life, when compared to the NX300.

Yet we can drive a big media tablet like a Galaxy Note 10.1 or an always-on juice-sucker like a cell phone. Both of which have cameras, too (albeit without the bigger, higher MP sensors).

With all uneccessary items disabled in the NX300, and juducious use on the on/off control, I can get a full day's shooting and hudreds of pics out of the 300. Using the Galaxy NX with its larger battery, turniing off every uneccassary thing in the camera, i.e. using it only ti take photo's, I can only get around 4 hours of use before it warns me of having a low battery. No, I would take the 300 over a Galaxy NX any day. I also prefer the style, abd size of the NX300. Of course, this is my preference, and I'm listing MY dislikes, but YMMV.

Again, I don't think the Android core is the primary fault, here. The OS powers loads of very battery hungry devices out there and competes well with iOS and Windows.

It seems to me they just need to engineer the proper 'distro' or shell to run that manages what functions are used by what hardware and when. My suspicion with the NX is that they just took the basic camera hardware and slapped Android on it with minimal cost spent to develop it with battery life in mind. Better processor and some serious UX optimization might work wonders.

ttbek
Like?

pixelpushing wrote:

Troutguy wrote:

it means I wont be waiting on pins and needles for a 28mp 4k video featured Android Samsung camera.I dont need those features and It also means that I wont be willing to pay for something like this from Samsung,and it will no doubt way over-priced.

Everyone is entitled to want what they want, of course. If you don't want an Android powered camera, you can vote with your wallet, obviously.

But overpriced? I don't think that's a safe assumption. I bought my NX300 for $450 and 30mm on the used market for well under $200. I've never seen the 300 retail for more than $599 in brick and mortars like Best Buy,

Nah, it was retailing for 750 at Best Buy just a few months ago (even on Black Friday it didn't drop, I was looking for my camera at that time), and I think he is referring to "list price" rather than what the market price will end up being.  Even now it is currently listed at 650 by Best Buy and higher by some online stores like Dell ($750).  Newegg is at $599.  B&H is cheaper at $579 and Amazon is $550.  All those prices for new and with 18-55 kit lens, the 20-50 kits are a little cheaper.  Maybe you were talking body only, but at least for myself it was my first NX, so body only would have made little sense when the kit lenses add so little to the price.  I'm not trying to say the NX300 is overpriced though, it's not, but the original list price would have been a little bit steep in my opinion.

although the NX10/20/30 series commands a higher tag. The £899 UK price of the NX30 16-50 OIS kit does not, however, seem inflated to me. In fact, I think it bodes very well for a $999 USA price (or close to it). Not exactly outrageous for a starting MSRP for that model, and of course NX cameras usually do fall in price within 6-8 months of release.

I guess my confusion with your stance against 4K video and 28MP is, you pay for the progression of tech whether you like it or not. A few years ago, people were saying anything over 10MP was irrational, unworkable and unacceptable at higher ISO. They kicked and screamed and insisted they refused to buy into such excessive features. Today, most of those people probably own 16MP or 24MP models.

4K is inevitable. Higher MP is inevitable. If the product is too much, don't buy it, but I for one would welcome full Android over Tizen. After owning several cameras with very intuitive and direct control schemes (60D, A57, X100, NX100, NX200), I find the new UI very clunky. The whole 'we released the source for Tizen on NX300' thing was a total PR move with inadequate follow through to back it up so nothing has been done with it.

I mean, if you really oppose 'paying' for the advancement of features, just... Stick with the older model, I guess. Or buy something else?

Canon PowerShot SX10 IS Nikon Coolpix L3 Samsung NX300 Samsung NX 30mm F2 Pancake Samsung NX 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OIS +6 more
tecnoworld
Senior MemberPosts: 4,101Gear list
Like?

And consider that you can buy a fuji x-e1 for 550$. It has an evf, of course.

-- hide signature --

tecnoworld's gear list:tecnoworld's gear list
Samsung TL500 Samsung NX100 Samsung NX200 Samsung NX300 Samsung NX 30mm F2 Pancake +11 more
Troutguy
Regular MemberPosts: 213Gear list
Like?
In reply to tecnoworld, 5 months ago

tecnoworld wrote:

And consider that you can buy a fuji x-e1 for 550$. It has an evf, of course.

-- hide signature --

yes, I am well aware of the XE1, Ive been playing with one for a few months now.

I have a NX20 with the 60mm on it permanently. I love that type of swivel / flip screen and its my macro and close up camera. Ill use it till it stops working.

I also have the NX200 with the 30mm , because of its small size its in my tackle box and I use that when Im out in the boat. Same thing Ill hold onto that as long as it works, but both cameras are not pleasant to work with. Just too slow and buggy.

As Ive mentioned , all my Samsung stuff was bought on sale, some at very low pricing so Im not losing a lot and wont worry about this as I make my full transition to Fuji. Just got the 35mm 1.4 lens for $399, awesome lens.

pixelpushing
Like?

ttbek wrote:

pixelpushing wrote:

But overpriced? I don't think that's a safe assumption. I bought my NX300 for $450 and 30mm on the used market for well under $200. I've never seen the 300 retail for more than $599 in brick and mortars like Best Buy,

Nah, it was retailing for 750 at Best Buy just a few months ago (even on Black Friday it didn't drop, I was looking for my camera at that time), and I think he is referring to "list price" rather than what the market price will end up being.

At my Best Buy, the price has been $449 and $499 and $599 (the most I've seen it for in the store), the further back you go. It was not $750 in December in the BB stores or on Black Friday.

Costco also has the NX2000 with kit lens and 55-200mm for $550 and has since December.

Even now it is currently listed at 650 by Best Buy and higher by some online stores like Dell ($750).

The white and brown 18-55mm NX300 kits are currently $548.99 at BB. Black is $575.99. The only one currently at $640 is the white 20-50, for whatever reason. The 20-50 black kits are currently $537.99.

The various color prices fluctuate, but it has been much cheaper than that over the past few months. Amazon has 20-50 NX300 kits for $499-575 depending on lens and color.

Newegg is at $599. I'm not trying to say the NX300 is overpriced though, it's not, but the original list price would have been a little bit steep in my opinion.

Nope, I was talking kits. I find most launch MSRPs to be a bit steep. That's why I usually wait, like with this.

ttbek
Like?

pixelpushing wrote:

Taffy wrote:

pixelpushing wrote:

tecnoworld wrote:

From photorumors:

Well I have the NX300, and a Galaxy NX. The 300, as everyone knows has a Tizen OS, while the Galaxy NX has the Android OS. The NX300's OS is head and shoulders above the Android system, IMO. Tha Android is too slow to start, is to power hungry.

That's not necessarily an Android issue, though - they probably didn't optimize the OS for the more demanding camera hardware. My girlfriend's Google Nexus 7 (2014) is blazing fast. Her S3 and my S4 are fast. These products can go hours and hours streaming video and taking photos...I don't see why we couldn't have at least a quad core CPU with 1GB RAM on an NX. Even three year old cell phones have that.

What about a scaled down Android shell or UX like they did with Tizen? I doubt the NX300 would run as smoothly or as long with a completely un-tweaked distro of full Linux...

Despit the Galaxy NX having a lrger battery, it has a much reduced shooting life, when compared to the NX300.

Yet we can drive a big media tablet like a Galaxy Note 10.1 or an always-on juice-sucker like a cell phone. Both of which have cameras, too (albeit without the bigger, higher MP sensors).

With all uneccessary items disabled in the NX300, and juducious use on the on/off control, I can get a full day's shooting and hudreds of pics out of the 300. Using the Galaxy NX with its larger battery, turniing off every uneccassary thing in the camera, i.e. using it only ti take photo's, I can only get around 4 hours of use before it warns me of having a low battery. No, I would take the 300 over a Galaxy NX any day. I also prefer the style, abd size of the NX300. Of course, this is my preference, and I'm listing MY dislikes, but YMMV.

Again, I don't think the Android core is the primary fault, here. The OS powers loads of very battery hungry devices out there and competes well with iOS and Windows.

It seems to me they just need to engineer the proper 'distro' or shell to run that manages what functions are used by what hardware and when. My suspicion with the NX is that they just took the basic camera hardware and slapped Android on it with minimal cost spent to develop it with battery life in mind. Better processor and some serious UX optimization might work wonders.

Pretty much. It's not a huge issue whether they go Android or Tizen, but whatever one they go with could use the right tweaking. Tizen can run Android applications if you layer some more stuff on top and Android can be pared down. Unlike some here have implied, they are BOTH open source OSs. The difference is mainly in who is managing and contributing to each project more. That is, Android is Google's baby and while you can make any change you want, that doesn't mean Google will include the change in their version, and so as you branch out you may break compatibility with tons of applications out there. Tizen is contributed to heavily by Intel and Samsung, but it's really the baby of the Linux Foundation and has a history with code going back to Meego and beyond back to some Nokia phones even. So, what does this mean for us... The best compromise might actually be to go Tizen and work to make the Android apps run on there, perhaps with a compatibility layer. This could be loaded in a special camera mode instead of being always active and could stay out of the way of shooting and boot times, etc.. That's just my design perspective though, I have no idea where Samsung wants to go. Unlike some on here, I don't consider my any phone on the market a good device for converting raws. Converting raws takes long enough on a serious desktop, maybe a one off on the phone is neat, but I couldn't see that ever being my normal workflow. My opinion is that once the camera is good at being a camera, then we'll worry about bells and whistles like putting Angry Birds on it ^_^. That is, without taking steps backwards, the NX300 is in a pretty good state with regard to the camera OS, if it were to run Android instead without being slower, then I wouldn't object. If running Android means having the camera boot slower, lower FPS, more shutter lag, more time to change settings, then forget it. Carriers aren't feeling a push for Tizen because there are still dumb phones selling, but there are tons of people like myself that want their device to be good at what it's for as well and have other things be secondary. If my phone was Android based I would never receive a phone call, it would always be dead. My Samsung phone is older, dumb phone, and the battery lasts more than two weeks and fully charges in under two hours. When I need to make a phone call it always works, when I need to receive one, it always works. Now, I'm not against Android or anything, when they get battery life like that and are that reliable, then I'll get a phone running it, and not before then. A non-phone Android device doesn't have to be a phone, so I have one of those, it does it's job as a mobile media device, mp3, mp4 (and more to my tastes, mkv, FLAC, etc.. ^_^), Youtube, throwing stuff onto the tv with chromecast, all the stuff that people get smartphones for. I feel the same way about cameras. We have a specialised domain to worry about, lets do that right, and then think about frivolity.

A few more comments. Battery optimization is a HUGE issue in Android. You'll see this if you look in the kernel modding forums. Different distributions are preferred on different devices for purely this reason and some drain devices at ridiculous rates. It competes well with iOS and Windows, but both of them suck balls (excuse my language) at it as well. All three are designing to just get people through the day and are designed to be charged pretty much every other day as the longest stretch. That's why we've seen the recent explosion in the sale of external power packs and cases with built in additional batteries. Honestly the people running big companies have their priorities in all the wrong places, e.g. making phones thinner (it's nice, but many people would rather have it slightly larger with more battery or more processing power). How many of you out there can name the thinnest phone mass produced? That's what I thought.

So, even with all the things on my list to add to the firmware (in that thread Jerry started, and many are addressed in the NX30 firmware) my vote is to go with Tizen on this model. This the flagship billed as "pro," it has one job to do, and needs to do it without compromise. Well, that's the end of my tirade, and my vote doesn't count, but that's off my chest now ^_^.

Some lighter entertainment since that was a bit heavy, first up, stereotyping Instagram users ^_^:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kdemFfbS5H0

And next, as photographers I'm sure we've heard this, even from other photographers:

http://www.xkcd.com/1314/

ttbek
Like?

pixelpushing wrote:

ttbek wrote:

pixelpushing wrote:

Nah, it was retailing for 750 at Best Buy just a few months ago (even on Black Friday it didn't drop, I was looking for my camera at that time), and I think he is referring to "list price" rather than what the market price will end up being.

At my Best Buy, the price has been $449 and $499 and $599 (the most I've seen it for in the store), the further back you go. It was not $750 in December in the BB stores or on Black Friday.

It was where I live, I wonder if the online store filters you by IP.  If it was that cheap here in Port Huron I would have just bought it at the store instead of ordering mine.  I was there (in the store) pretty much every other week.

Costco also has the NX2000 with kit lens and 55-200mm for $550 and has since December.

That's funny considering that I didn't know NX had a 55-200mm lens. 

Even now it is currently listed at 650 by Best Buy and higher by some online stores like Dell ($750).

The white and brown 18-55mm NX300 kits are currently $548.99 at BB. Black is $575.99. The only one currently at $640 is the white 20-50, for whatever reason. The 20-50 black kits are currently $537.99.

The various color prices fluctuate, but it has been much cheaper than that over the past few months. Amazon has 20-50 NX300 kits for $499-575 depending on lens and color.

They certainly do, I guess I looked at the black one because when I was looking to buy, it was just the white one being priced over the other two.

Newegg is at $599. I'm not trying to say the NX300 is overpriced though, it's not, but the original list price would have been a little bit steep in my opinion.

Nope, I was talking kits. I find most launch MSRPs to be a bit steep. That's why I usually wait, like with this.

pixelpushing
Like?

Wow, war of the walls of text!  My eyes are bleeding.

If Samsung is closer to a truly optimized OS with appropriate UI with Tizen, then fine, I just want something that's intuitive and fast. I do not prefer their current shell to the earlier, more straightforward NX100 and 200 menu system, though. It's also not terribly responsive, considering the touch to shoot requirements.

As we have noted, when you attach any bare OS to any device without regard to optimization for its hardware, you will get crappy performance and efficiency. This leads me to believe a properly tweaked Android shell would run just fine on an NX, without breaking compatibility with at least a substantial number of apps. You certainly aren't running any Linux apps on the current NX edition of Tizen, right? So at best you're in the same boat. And again, I point back to the whole 'we're giving out the source' nonsense that absolutely nothing came out of. What's the point of all that if people can't do hacks and custom fw or even compile apps for the thing? None.

I'm sure this might all be academic since Samsung has no doubt made their minds up as to which direction to go with future models, but I'd say there's still an opportunity to incorporate something like Android. Apps, flexibility, end user customization, firmware hacks, etc. This is stuff that could very well put Samsung NX cameras on the map, media-wise. They'd be smart to model their line behind the idea that 'hey, I use this on my phone and tablet, my camera will work seamlessly with them' and such. People may also see it as an evolution.

Yes, a camera has 'one job to do'. Kind of. That means the shell needs to have a streamlined appearance when you're using the camera for taking photos and video. BUT there's no reason it couldn't do more, just like a phone does far more now than it used to, and without sacrificing the efficiency or performance of the camera.

Anyways, my point is that Android is not necessarily the weak link in battery efficiency or speed vs. Linux or anything else. It just depends on how it's applied. Also, phones and tablets need very thin, light batteries that drive great big bright screens in excess of 4-5" for a phone and 10"+ for a tablet! Not to mention cameras, WiFi and BT, cell radios, etc.

Cigarguy
Like?

Last thing that concern me when looking for a camera is the OS.  Don't care about video and wifi either.  Ergonomics, sensor size and res, availability of accessories and price is what count in my books.  Having said that, a camera with a consistent, easy to use and navigate OS that is optimized and fast is also a must.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads