Suggestions on a tablet for pp? a few q's...

Started 7 months ago | Questions
unknown member
(unknown member)
Like?
Re: Suggestions on a tablet for pp? a few q's...
In reply to abortabort, 7 months ago

abortabort wrote:

hyenadog wrote:

joel artino wrote:

seraiah wrote:

Hi! I'm looking at getting my first tablet, and I've never had a smart phone, so: please bear with me if these are dumb questions ;).

I'm posting here because I'm hoping to get one that 'plays well' with my NEX5R, if there's one that's easier to work with for a newbie? I'd like to be able to use it for post-processing, and maybe for remote viewing/control - (is that an option?) We'd use it on trips, for backing up and viewing photos, so does that mean I should go with one that has a memory card slot?

Do people prefer Android, Apple or Windows in cases like this? which has the best tablet apps for pp?

Tablets with Wacom styluses are intriguing, but how much better are they for writing and pp than capacitive styluses?

Our main computer runs Windows, if that means anything. Budget is up to about 500. Thanks for any help you can give to get me off the fence!

It's a no brainer as far as i am concerned, get an iPad Air, best user experience, great screen, great selection of software. Only problem is that once you view your photos on the iPad Air, you'll most likely want to get a better computer monitor.

Joel

spot on Joel, i far prefer PC's to OSx(apple) but the retina screen and 4:3 screen ratio (along with the guarantee of manufacturer apps) are the reasons i got an ipad 4

.. remember though IOS takes up a fair bit of the default 16GB (scam really) you get .. and apple im sure to force you to upgrade also makes it difficult for apps to release memory (another scam to force you to upgrade) so you will really struggle with 16GB .. get 32GB at least ... thats my only regret really getting the 16GB rather than the 32GB

wifi drives only do so much you will still have to transfer from the wifidrive to the ipad to do anything on the files

"IOS takes up a fair bit of the default 16GB (scam really)" Try to get a 16GB windows tablet. In fact, check to see how much room is left on a 32GB windows tablet. iOS 6 took up about 2GB. iOS7 takes up about 3.1GB.

"also makes it difficult for apps to release memory (another scam to force you to upgrade) so you will really struggle with 16GB"

Which iOS are you using? Pre-iOS 7, just hit the home button twice and click on the programs in memory with a "X" and you can clear them. In iOS7, do the same and swipe up on the screen icon.

"wifi drives only do so much you will still have to transfer from the wifidrive to the ipad to do anything on the files"

Nope. With the latest ones, you can copy the files from your SD card to the hard drive, edit them on the hard drive, and save them to, say, Dropbox or Box.

If you own an iPad, make an appointment with an Apple Store, come with a list of your questions, and spend perhaps 30-40 minutes learning how to do what you clearly don't understand.

Anyone who owns an Asus can go to the Asus store in your local mall and ask them. Or a Best Buy salesman.

Or if a Surface, to the Microsoft island in your local mall. See what the guy manning it knows. You don't need an appointment.

Wow, I'm just stunned. You seem to know an awful lot about what the OP needs, based on your own ideals about the iPad. I see you didn't rebutt a single one of the items I listed, didn't even try because you are completely out of your depth... You make all these broad claims and then have nothing to back them up with other than some snippets you read on the internet.

Well actually it is you and the others in this thread with your iPad blinkers on that cause this thread to degrade. Instead of letting people share their experiences and let the OP make up theie own mind, you constantly have to howl down any other suggestions with your cult of iPad nonsense. Between you and Joel you seem to think if you shout it enough and if you keep 'proving' it by talking about user base you'll get another in your cult.

Lets look at it another way, who has a bigger installed user base - OS X or Windows? Forget about iPad for a minute. If you want professional software for professional tasks these are the two systems most will turn to.

People don't turn to an oversized phone to get serious work done, simple as that. With real systems for getting work done you have those two choices and unfortunately (for me) Apple has a really limited selection of hardware choices for that, you can have a laptop, a slightly bigger laptop or a bigger laptop again OR you can have a desktop, a bigger desktop or a bigger desktop.

Sadly then, Windows is the only professional choice OS that also runs on a variety of hardware, including tablet devices. I wish there was a Mac option, but there is not. An iPad is the point and shoot of the tablet world, but great if all you want is a point and shoot.

You start off by saying that the OP only wants something simple, however the question is 'what is the best tablet for PP?' and that my friend is not the iPad.

The problem here is that the OP asked a non specific question that can't be answered properly without more detail as to what type of PP he is looking for and plans to do on the tablet, so the responses are all over the place.  Then the OP does nothing to clarify his question as 10s of responses only create more opinions based on nothing specific to the undeclared needs of the OP.  Then he ask a totally stupid question about "Is Android worthless", instead of finally clarifying his initial question.  Had he done the slightest bit of research before he posed the question, then posed a clear question to enable good and not so good alternatives to be presented by responders, this thread would have been concluded hours ago without all this drama.

JMHO.

Joel

joel artino's gear list:joel artino's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS20 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Olympus PEN E-PM2 Fujifilm X-A1
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Russell Evans
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,190
Like?
Re: iPad Advantage over Surface Pro 2?
In reply to hyenadog, 7 months ago

hyenadog wrote:

Sir Pics A Lot wrote:

What advantages does the iPad have over the Surface Pro 2?

4:3 screen ratio, retina screen and guarantee of manufacturer apps eg there is an ipad app for NEX but not a win 8 app

There is a way to run Android on top of Windows. It's a bit geek at this point, but it probably will be made easier to install and get running as time goes on. Personally I have an Android phone and a Windows tablet which is a much better solution for me. I'm going to have my phone with me, so replicating that experience on a tablet doesn't really buy me much, which is part of the reason I went with a Windows tablet. The OP is a little different in that there isn't a smart phone in the equation to address this.

I don't really like the iPad 3 Retina we have for travel, and for me, the smaller 7 and 8 inch tablets are a better fit. This makes it harder to do a lot of PP on the road, but I don't usually do much on the road as time is pretty expensive on a trip. I would prefer to be out going and doing. For photography, I mostly just want to be able to keyword tag and geotag my images, backup my SD cards, tethering to my DSLR, remote live view, and photo review. My cameras don't have wifi, Sony Nex-5n and Pentax k-5, so I'm using a USB video capture device to pull the live view feed into the tablet. This is possible since the tablet provides an USB port and Windows support for USB devices is probably a given for most devices.

The larger tablets aren't really the field portable solution I want, but for home or maybe at the hotel, they probably are the better solution for the larger screens. If I was going to buy a larger tablet, I would want one with a keyboard dock, the Surface Pro/Pro2, Asus T100, or the Dell Venue 11 Pro with its keyboard dock. The Asus T100 is the least expensive option, but the Dell Venue 11 Pro is the only tablet I know of with a user replaceable battery. I've had many laptops and cell phones over the years, and the first thing to go has always been the battery. I would pay the extra for the Venue 11 Pro just for this, as I tend to use my hardware for as long as possible.

The iPad 3 Retina we bought for my wife  a while back as I have been using the desktop more and more for photography. We were thinking it would be a good solution for her needs and it was the first tablet we bought. It hasn't really worked out as well as we hoped it would. We are going to try the mini next I think, but we sort of want to pass the iPad 3 on to a family first before moving on. Sort of a limbo period for now. I bought my side of the family all Android tablets, but her side of the family is more into iPad as the niece was required to buy one for school. The parents are pretty mad about that as the school hasn't really made use of the tablets in any way, so it has been an unnecessary expense. It's just one of those marketing things the school does to seem more relevant I guess. It's too late now to change, the school still requires her to have the iPad anyway, and Facetime has become the way we keep in touch, and the way they keep in touch with the grandparents. We all live in different countries.

It's hard to argue with the price of the Surface Pro/Pro2 for the i5 CPU, storage, and ram. All the other similarly equipped Windows tablets are more expensive than the Pro models. The Atom based Windows tablets are much less expensive and although they have less powerful hardware, they seem to provide a good enough experience in my opinion. It's a different level of hardware and expense, so there is going to be a need to have different expectations going in. I want portability, lower price as it is a portable and things are more likely to happen to it, and still a workable solution.

Thank you
Russell

abortabort
Contributing MemberPosts: 959Gear list
Like?

hyenadog wrote:

joel artino wrote:

seraiah wrote:

Hi! I'm looking at getting my first tablet, and I've never had a smart phone, so: please bear with me if these are dumb questions ;).

I'm posting here because I'm hoping to get one that 'plays well' with my NEX5R, if there's one that's easier to work with for a newbie? I'd like to be able to use it for post-processing, and maybe for remote viewing/control - (is that an option?) We'd use it on trips, for backing up and viewing photos, so does that mean I should go with one that has a memory card slot?

Do people prefer Android, Apple or Windows in cases like this? which has the best tablet apps for pp?

Tablets with Wacom styluses are intriguing, but how much better are they for writing and pp than capacitive styluses?

Our main computer runs Windows, if that means anything. Budget is up to about 500. Thanks for any help you can give to get me off the fence!

It's a no brainer as far as i am concerned, get an iPad Air, best user experience, great screen, great selection of software. Only problem is that once you view your photos on the iPad Air, you'll most likely want to get a better computer monitor.

Joel

spot on Joel, i far prefer PC's to OSx(apple) but the retina screen and 4:3 screen ratio (along with the guarantee of manufacturer apps) are the reasons i got an ipad 4

.. remember though IOS takes up a fair bit of the default 16GB (scam really) you get .. and apple im sure to force you to upgrade also makes it difficult for apps to release memory (another scam to force you to upgrade) so you will really struggle with 16GB .. get 32GB at least ... thats my only regret really getting the 16GB rather than the 32GB

wifi drives only do so much you will still have to transfer from the wifidrive to the ipad to do anything on the files

"IOS takes up a fair bit of the default 16GB (scam really)" Try to get a 16GB windows tablet. In fact, check to see how much room is left on a 32GB windows tablet. iOS 6 took up about 2GB. iOS7 takes up about 3.1GB.

"also makes it difficult for apps to release memory (another scam to force you to upgrade) so you will really struggle with 16GB"

Which iOS are you using? Pre-iOS 7, just hit the home button twice and click on the programs in memory with a "X" and you can clear them. In iOS7, do the same and swipe up on the screen icon.

"wifi drives only do so much you will still have to transfer from the wifidrive to the ipad to do anything on the files"

Nope. With the latest ones, you can copy the files from your SD card to the hard drive, edit them on the hard drive, and save them to, say, Dropbox or Box.

If you own an iPad, make an appointment with an Apple Store, come with a list of your questions, and spend perhaps 30-40 minutes learning how to do what you clearly don't understand.

Anyone who owns an Asus can go to the Asus store in your local mall and ask them. Or a Best Buy salesman.

Or if a Surface, to the Microsoft island in your local mall. See what the guy manning it knows. You don't need an appointment.

Wow, I'm just stunned. You seem to know an awful lot about what the OP needs, based on your own ideals about the iPad. I see you didn't rebutt a single one of the items I listed, didn't even try because you are completely out of your depth... You make all these broad claims and then have nothing to back them up with other than some snippets you read on the internet.

Well actually it is you and the others in this thread with your iPad blinkers on that cause this thread to degrade. Instead of letting people share their experiences and let the OP make up theie own mind, you constantly have to howl down any other suggestions with your cult of iPad nonsense. Between you and Joel you seem to think if you shout it enough and if you keep 'proving' it by talking about user base you'll get another in your cult.

Lets look at it another way, who has a bigger installed user base - OS X or Windows? Forget about iPad for a minute. If you want professional software for professional tasks these are the two systems most will turn to.

People don't turn to an oversized phone to get serious work done, simple as that. With real systems for getting work done you have those two choices and unfortunately (for me) Apple has a really limited selection of hardware choices for that, you can have a laptop, a slightly bigger laptop or a bigger laptop again OR you can have a desktop, a bigger desktop or a bigger desktop.

Sadly then, Windows is the only professional choice OS that also runs on a variety of hardware, including tablet devices. I wish there was a Mac option, but there is not. An iPad is the point and shoot of the tablet world, but great if all you want is a point and shoot.

You start off by saying that the OP only wants something simple, however the question is 'what is the best tablet for PP?' and that my friend is not the iPad.

Actually I take it all back, for a newbie just get an iPad. working around all it's limitations and trying to figure out way to do really basic stuff, like copying some files from one place to another will be an 'exciting adventure'. Figuring out how to store your images from your SD card onto that WiFi harddrive at 30,000 feet and exporting to dropbox will be 'fun' and you can ask the Genius Bar on the plane and you definitely won't run out of battery... well on most flights, unlike my last Asus which only ran for a measly 19 hours on the battery.

The other thing that will be 'great' is editing your photos on the go, uploading them and sharing them on the go. When you get back you can continue to edit them... but onky on your iPad, thats ok though as the HDD stores them for you, so you can edit them from scratch on your main computer, because editing things twice is extra fun.

How about we import the files using one app but then decide that you want to use an editing feature in another app, because of those hundreds of $10 apps you buy that were all such a bargain, not one of them does everything you need, they all do this and that, but you need to do two things in two different apps. Well that's cool because they are on the same device and it's so smart and easy to use that files from.one app can't be used in another, they're sandboxed. Oh well thats ok we can work around that, first I wilk edit my RAW in app a) then... oh wait, uhm ok so I edit my RAW in app a) then i'll upload a JPEG to dropbox, cool! Look how fun this is! Now I will get app b) to download the JPEG (yeah it's only 8bit but hey, I'm having fun! So I'll just point app b) to the JPEG in dropbox... erm wait, this app doesn't connect to dropbox... Ok so i'll email myself the JPEG so I can download it to my camera roll and then I can definitely edit my JPEG in app b)... oh except the full res JPEG is too big for my email, ok so i'll use the downsize facility in the email app to make the JPEG smaller, hey it's still fun! Look at me I'm editing on the go! Oh cool! it finished uploading to my email server, now I just need to wait a moment, yep there's the email weee! Problem solving with this thing is just more fun!

Ok so now I just wait for my attachment to download.. ok done. Now I'll just save it to the camera roll, ok! Phew! Boy is this fun! Ok so I go find my app, now I look in the camera roll and bam! There it is, wahoo! Look I'm totally owning this iPad thing and look my battery is only at 90%.

Now I can do that other edit, just play with this little slider and bring up those shadows and it will be perfect... oh. That doesn't look so great. Hmm maybe I should have applied an xyz in app a) before bringing into app b)? Though maybe it is because it has been exported to JPEG and then downsized in the mail app? Maybe if I go back to app a) and start again... Or maybe i'll wait until we land, I'm sure they'll have a genius bar... that will be cool, *singing* making a little trip to the genius bar on this trip, so so fun leanring the new iPad, by the way I don't think I showed the guy next to me how thin it is, look guy it's so thin and did I mention light? *singing*...

Oh but look I have heaps of battery life to get me through this flight, maybe some angry birds could be fun? Gosh this iPad sure does have everything! So fun!

I'm glad that nobody tried to steer you away from an iPad, just think if they had and you listened how much fun you would miss out on

abortabort's gear list:abortabort's gear list
Ricoh GR Sony RX100 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 Canon EOS 6D Sony Alpha 7 +32 more
Mel Snyder
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,618Gear list
Like?
Re: How safe is back up to HDD on a trip??
In reply to bill hansen, 7 months ago

bill hansen wrote:

Thanks Mel - Looks interesting. I'll have to check it out further. Have you used it, or do you know anyone who has used it?

-- hide signature --

Bill Hansen
Ithaca NY, USA

I use it every time I travel. I had a Kingston MobileLite that somehow corrupted the FAT on 2 consecutive copying attempts (got all files back with CardRescue), and Kingston was very late with an iOS7 compatible app. Now I always write protect all SD cards with the RAV device.

I back up to Toshiba Canvio Basics hard drives, usually 750GB. You MUST format them in an MS compatible format - the RAV device cannot write to an OSX drive.

One point - if you try to copy more than perhaps 100 files at a time off an SD card to a hard drive, the copy process stops - probably a buffer issue. Better to do it in tranches.

There's probably nothing wrong with the Kingston - I just got spooked, and was bummed out by the lack of an iOS7 app to run it (now available), so I bought the RAV. If you send me your mailing address in a private message, I'l stick the Kingston in a padded envelope and mail it to you, gratis, to play with during those cold Ithaca nights...

Mel Snyder's gear list:Mel Snyder's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony Alpha 7 Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS Sony E 55-210mm F4.5-6.3 OSS Leica Summicron-M 50mm f/2 +13 more
Russell Evans
Like?
Re: How safe is back up to HDD on a trip??
In reply to bill hansen, 7 months ago

bill hansen wrote:

Have you used it, or do you know anyone who has used it?

I have the Kingston Mobilelite which is a similar device. It has the wireless, SD card slot, USB port for connecting media readers or low powered devices, and internal battery. I bought it to use with my phone a while back. The thing to like about it is that once the transfer starts, file or folder level, you can disconnect your phone/tablet and the transfer will continue. If you hit the hotel to change before dinner, you can pop in a card and transfer the files without worry that you will need to stick around for it to finish. You don't even have to do this gracefully, you can just walk out of the wireless range with your phone if you like.

The wireless connection can be bridged so that when you connect your phone or tablet, you can also connect to the Internet. This allows the app to send files out directly from the card without having to import them into the device. Email and social sites are supported.

It can be used as a normal card reader when connected to the charging/computer connecting USB port. The USB charging port is the standard micro A USB port that most Android phones use, so you can charge the device in the hotel room from you phone charger while you are out and about, and then charge your phone when back in your room, while still having the unit using its battery to transfer files. These are probably standard features of all the like devices, but those are the things that I notice.

There's not much I can say other than it has just worked well for me. There have been a couple of firmware upgrades and the app for the phone gets updated from time to time as well. I'm pleased with it.

Thank you
Russell

PVCdroid
Senior MemberPosts: 2,037Gear list
Like?
In reply to seraiah, 7 months ago

seraiah wrote:

If you decide on a Android tablet, DPReview came out with this article last month on their Connect site. Photo Mate R2 is the software and it looks like a good solution for quick post processing on the road. I have been using RAW Droid and Photo Editor on my Galaxy Note 8 but will give this one a try. This would get you under $500 as a solution and a backup solution while on the road as well with your own microSD card.

http://connect.dpreview.com/post/7236815772/raw-processing-on-android-with-photo-mate-r2?page=2

PVCdroid's gear list:PVCdroid's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony Alpha 7R
Roger65
Regular MemberPosts: 201
Like?

Pardon me if this has been suggested already, I haven't read all five pages of this thread, but DPreview just did an article on an Android Raw converter

http://connect.dpreview.com/post/7236815772/raw-processing-on-android-with-photo-mate-r2

They were using a Samsung Galaxy Note 2014 quad core.

Apple tablets are nice but require an adapter to get photos transferred over. The adapter is easy to lose, ask me how I know.

seraiah
Forum MemberPosts: 71Gear list
Like?
Re: let me try again: why do YOU say Android tabs are "useless devices"? (n/t)

abortabort wrote:

That's my personal experience with them. Others might be able to suggest otherwise with their own reasons. If I want a tablet device to edit images on the go, I don't want a limited quasi-app or have to use multiple apps and then figure out how to 'sync' somehow these devices AND not be able to transfer any of my edits / libraries over to my main editing machine when I get back home. Using a Windows tablet is simply like using an ultrabook in a tablet form factor. I can use LR on a regular USB hard drive with all my libraries saved that I can plug straight into my (Mac) laptop and continue editing, no exporting, no having to buy external devices that often do less than they advertise, or have cluncky work arounds to get stuff in and out of them.

It isn't about whether an iPad can do it, it is how it actually fits in with my other gear and my workflow. Yes I could probably do an edit of sorts on an iPad, but with non-destructive editing I have to have that edit information come across to my main system and it simply won't. So when I go to edit 'properly' I have to start from scratch - This makes the whole editing on the go process completely pointless to me.

Android has even less useful apps in my experience and is no way near as mature as the iPad. But Windows has been around a lot longer than both of them put together and has by far the biggest range of fully fledged professional applications available. For me I just use Sketchbook Pro, Lightroom, Photoshop plus web browser, email etc and that's it on my PP tablet. If I want a general surfing device there are better options (the iPad definitely being one of them) but for image manipulation there is nothing close to a Windows tablet (oh except the wonderful but bloody expensive Axiom Mac converted tablets - One of those would be the best of the best, but sadly out of my budget).

thanks for the response; I'd like to go from editing on the tablet to editing on our main computer, so this was helpful input.

Russell Evans
Like?
Re: Do you shoot RAW, if so only one tablet can do it..
In reply to Russell Evans, 7 months ago

Russell Evans wrote:

seraiah wrote:

thanks for all the info. SP2 is attractive, indeed. I don't need anything professional level, though, and it seems like all the things you listed won't fit my relatively meagre budget :/

The first generation Surface Pro can be bought a BestBuy for $600 which put you closer to your budget.

Let me try this in English.

The first generation Surface Pro can be bought at BestBuy for $600, which puts it closer to your budget of $500.

Thank you
Russell

PVCdroid
Like?
In reply to PVCdroid, 7 months ago

PVCdroid wrote:

seraiah wrote:

If you decide on a Android tablet, DPReview came out with this article last month on their Connect site. Photo Mate R2 is the software and it looks like a good solution for quick post processing on the road. I have been using RAW Droid and Photo Editor on my Galaxy Note 8 but will give this one a try. This would get you under $500 as a solution and a backup solution while on the road as well with your own microSD card.

http://connect.dpreview.com/post/7236815772/raw-processing-on-android-with-photo-mate-r2?page=2

I just downloaded and tried this $10 app on my Galaxy Note 8. I have my Eye-FI card set to upload both RAW and JPEG to the tablet. I was just playing around with the features and it is very similar to Lightroom. Adjustments are quick and results are immediate which is important, especially working with NEX-7 raw or JPEG files. You can save the developed RAW file out to JPEG for sending off in an email or posting to your social site. XMP sidecar files can be saved for import to LR retaining your adjustments although I haven't had a chance to try this yet. Very slick! The RAM recommendation is 2GB so keep this in mind if you are planning an Android tablet purchase.

seraiah
Like?
Re: Dell Venue Pro 8 using Fotor (pics)
In reply to José B, 7 months ago

thanks for the info and examples

what program/app do you use to 'light process' your photos?

seraiah
Like?
lol Re: Suggestions on a tablet for pp? a few q's...

abortabort wrote:

Actually I take it all back, for a newbie just get an iPad. working around all it's limitations and trying to figure out way to do really basic stuff, like copying some files from one place to another will be an 'exciting adventure'. Figuring out how to store your images from your SD card onto that WiFi harddrive at 30,000 feet and exporting to dropbox will be 'fun' and you can ask the Genius Bar on the plane and you definitely won't run out of battery... well on most flights, unlike my last Asus which only ran for a measly 19 hours on the battery.

The other thing that will be 'great' is editing your photos on the go, uploading them and sharing them on the go. When you get back you can continue to edit them... but onky on your iPad, thats ok though as the HDD stores them for you, so you can edit them from scratch on your main computer, because editing things twice is extra fun.

How about we import the files using one app but then decide that you want to use an editing feature in another app, because of those hundreds of $10 apps you buy that were all such a bargain, not one of them does everything you need, they all do this and that, but you need to do two things in two different apps. Well that's cool because they are on the same device and it's so smart and easy to use that files from.one app can't be used in another, they're sandboxed. Oh well thats ok we can work around that, first I wilk edit my RAW in app a) then... oh wait, uhm ok so I edit my RAW in app a) then i'll upload a JPEG to dropbox, cool! Look how fun this is! Now I will get app b) to download the JPEG (yeah it's only 8bit but hey, I'm having fun! So I'll just point app b) to the JPEG in dropbox... erm wait, this app doesn't connect to dropbox... Ok so i'll email myself the JPEG so I can download it to my camera roll and then I can definitely edit my JPEG in app b)... oh except the full res JPEG is too big for my email, ok so i'll use the downsize facility in the email app to make the JPEG smaller, hey it's still fun! Look at me I'm editing on the go! Oh cool! it finished uploading to my email server, now I just need to wait a moment, yep there's the email weee! Problem solving with this thing is just more fun!

Ok so now I just wait for my attachment to download.. ok done. Now I'll just save it to the camera roll, ok! Phew! Boy is this fun! Ok so I go find my app, now I look in the camera roll and bam! There it is, wahoo! Look I'm totally owning this iPad thing and look my battery is only at 90%.

Now I can do that other edit, just play with this little slider and bring up those shadows and it will be perfect... oh. That doesn't look so great. Hmm maybe I should have applied an xyz in app a) before bringing into app b)? Though maybe it is because it has been exported to JPEG and then downsized in the mail app? Maybe if I go back to app a) and start again... Or maybe i'll wait until we land, I'm sure they'll have a genius bar... that will be cool, *singing* making a little trip to the genius bar on this trip, so so fun leanring the new iPad, by the way I don't think I showed the guy next to me how thin it is, look guy it's so thin and did I mention light? *singing*...

Oh but look I have heaps of battery life to get me through this flight, maybe some angry birds could be fun? Gosh this iPad sure does have everything! So fun!

I'm glad that nobody tried to steer you away from an iPad, just think if they had and you listened how much fun you would miss out on

thanks for lightening the mood and addressing some of my concerns at the same time

José B
Forum ProPosts: 17,479Gear list
Like?
Re: Dell Venue Pro 8 using Fotor (pics)

seraiah wrote:

thanks for the info and examples

what program/app do you use to 'light process' your photos?

My pleasure. I used Fotor.

José B's gear list:José B's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-6 Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS-1D Mark III Sony a6000 Sony Carl Zeiss Sonnar T* E 24mm F1.8 ZA +10 more
Digitalize
Regular MemberPosts: 184Gear list
Like?

I was wondering what you and others thought about the upcoming Galaxy Note 12 inch series? Here is a link.  Has a micro SD slot.

http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-Galaxy-NotePRO-12-2-Black/dp/B00HWMPSK6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1392064722&sr=8-1&keywords=galaxy+note+12.2+pro

seraiah wrote:

Digitalize's gear list:Digitalize's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 Sony SLT-A57 Sony a77 II
seraiah
Like?
In reply to Digitalize, 7 months ago

Digitalize wrote:

I was wondering what you and others thought about the upcoming Galaxy Note 12 inch series? Here is a link. Has a micro SD slot.

http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-Galaxy-NotePRO-12-2-Black/dp/B00HWMPSK6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1392064722&sr=8-1&keywords=galaxy+note+12.2+pro

it's out of my price range, but I was looking at the 2014 Note 10.1.

seraiah
Like?
In reply to Roger65, 7 months ago

Roger65 wrote:

Pardon me if this has been suggested already, I haven't read all five pages of this thread, but DPreview just did an article on an Android Raw converter

http://connect.dpreview.com/post/7236815772/raw-processing-on-android-with-photo-mate-r2

They were using a Samsung Galaxy Note 2014 quad core.

Apple tablets are nice but require an adapter to get photos transferred over. The adapter is easy to lose, ask me how I know.

: )

do you work with Android?

seraiah
Like?
In reply to PVCdroid, 7 months ago

PVCdroid wrote:

PVCdroid wrote:

I just downloaded and tried this $10 app on my Galaxy Note 8. I have my Eye-FI card set to upload both RAW and JPEG to the tablet. I was just playing around with the features and it is very similar to Lightroom. Adjustments are quick and results are immediate which is important, especially working with NEX-7 raw or JPEG files. You can save the developed RAW file out to JPEG for sending off in an email or posting to your social site. XMP sidecar files can be saved for import to LR retaining your adjustments although I haven't had a chance to try this yet. Very slick! The RAM recommendation is 2GB so keep this in mind if you are planning an Android tablet purchase.

I was looking at the galaxy Note series, so I appreciate your input on it, and on Android (not too many people have posted about it). Does the note 8 let you work on the photo side by side with the original file? and do you find working on the 8" screen restrictive; do you think 10" would be more comfortable?

Do you like the stylus?

tia!

abortabort
Contributing MemberPosts: 959Gear list
Like?
Re: lol Re: Suggestions on a tablet for pp? a few q's...

abortabort wrote:

thanks for lightening the mood and addressing some of my concerns at the same time

Welcome

Seriously they will all do it in one way or another.

Another thing to keep in mind is that just because something 'can' edit RAW files doesn't mean they always do a good job of it, as we know from the many debates about which RAW prcessor is best. I don't see a lot of comparisons between RAW processor output on tablet devices with RAW processing software, it's almost like reviewers (and users) are so excited by the fact they can even do it at all on their device that they stop caring how well it works compared to the established software (such as Lightroom, Aperture, DXO etc).

I would prefer to work with software that I know works and is going to process my RAWs in exactly the same way as I do at home, even if it means the computer is a little slower.

I think that Asus Vivotab Note 8 M80TA is well worth a look, a bit like a Galaxy Note 8 but obviously running more traditional software, should run about $350 for the 64GB version - which should leave you enough to buy a copy of LR or similar.

abortabort's gear list:abortabort's gear list
Ricoh GR Sony RX100 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 Canon EOS 6D Sony Alpha 7 +32 more
PVCdroid
Like?

PVCdroid wrote:

PVCdroid wrote:

I was looking at the galaxy Note series, so I appreciate your input on it, and on Android (not too many people have posted about it). Does the note 8 let you work on the photo side by side with the original file? and do you find working on the 8" screen restrictive; do you think 10" would be more comfortable?

Do you like the stylus?

tia!

Using the photo mate r2 app, you can view the original photo alongside your developed one. You can also expand the image using your fingers. Editing the raw photo is non destructive. I'm glad I looked into this today and downloaded it. The 8 inch is perfect for me and not restrictive. The screen is bright and colors are superb.It fits in my bag easily. Getting a large tablet while having a laptop seemed kind of redundant to me. I don't intend to use the tablet for all post processing and just when I'm out for quick viewing, development, sending to Google+ or sending an email occasionally. I'll also use it to tag/rate photos when on the road. The stylus is handy and I've been using it to adjust sliders on the new app. It provides more precision than your finger. It's kind of fun for doodling, drawing as well in other apps. I've tried the handwriting recognition app from Samsung and with practice could get it to work efficiently but it's a bit klougy for routine use. The stylus will also invoke the menu and return buttons below the screen which many don't. Loaded with my games/apps on 16GB Wi-Fi note 8, I'm only using a little over half the available internal storage memory. My 64gb micro sd card is where I'm storing photos, music and videos so I don't think you would need the 32gb version. The important spec is ram in my opinion and the Notes have 2gb.

PVCdroid
Like?
Re: lol Re: Suggestions on a tablet for pp? a few q's...

abortabort wrote:

abortabort wrote:

Welcome

Seriously they will all do it in one way or another.

Another thing to keep in mind is that just because something 'can' edit RAW files doesn't mean they always do a good job of it, as we know from the many debates about which RAW prcessor is best. I don't see a lot of comparisons between RAW processor output on tablet devices with RAW processing software, it's almost like reviewers (and users) are so excited by the fact they can even do it at all on their device that they stop caring how well it works compared to the established software (such as Lightroom, Aperture, DXO etc).

I would prefer to work with software that I know works and is going to process my RAWs in exactly the same way as I do at home, even if it means the computer is a little slower.

I think that Asus Vivotab Note 8 M80TA is well worth a look, a bit like a Galaxy Note 8 but obviously running more traditional software, should run about $350 for the 64GB version - which should leave you enough to buy a copy of LR or similar.

I agree that these tablet solutions should not replace established software/hardware for your photo development work where a good 20+ inch monitor is needed. I haven't looked into the Windows 8 tablet versions which are taking off lately but you could put a version of Lightroom on them with no problem as a free second device installation with licensing. If Android is preferred I'm sure Adobe will come or with a Lr version for it after Apple but I'm not willing to deal with annual subscriptions. I also see no need for a 4g tablet device. It's expensive on data and I can wait till I get a Wi-Fi connection on the road or tether the tablet to my phone. Things are changing so fast it doesn't make sense to me to put a bunch of money into these devices.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads