Suggestions on a tablet for pp? a few q's...

Started 8 months ago | Questions
Fred Briggs
Senior MemberPosts: 1,006Gear list
Like?
Re: Do you shoot RAW, if so only one tablet can do it..
In reply to Mike Fewster, 8 months ago

Mike Fewster wrote:

chillzatl wrote:

Mike Fewster wrote:

The Surface pro2 It is the only tablet that has the grunt for proper raw processing. With other machines you will be limited to jpeg files or very slow processing.

If you want something to travel with that has the power to process RAW and do hedium serious editing as you travel, you will need either the Surface pro 2 or an Apple laptop or PC ultrabook/laptop. You also need at least 4 meg of ram which the Surface Pro2 has.

That's not true at all. The latest gen quad core bay trail processors handle raw images just fine and with only 2gb of ram.

I may be wrong, I wouldn't have thought any atom based processor could do a satisfactory job with RAW files. But I will follow it up. What tablet is using that processor and what RAW processing software on that tablet are you referring to?

-- hide signature --

Mike Fewster
Adelaide Australia

I have the Asus T100 tablet/laptop which runs the full version of Windows 8.1. It has the latest Atom CPU (1.33-GHz quad-core Atom Z3740) and 2GB of RAM, and also comes with a free Office 2013 Home and Student license. There are versions with 32 and 64GB SSDs as the main boot drive, and it has a MicroSD slot to take up to 64GB cards for additional storage on the tablet. The detachable keyboard provides a full size USB 3.0 socket.  There are also versions with an additional 500 GB HDD housed in the keyboard.  I have one of these and it is ideal for photo backups.

I can confirm that this device can run the full version of Adobe Lightroom and open RAW files from all of my past and present cameras. It is obviously not as fast as my desktop computer at editing, but still very usable.  This is not an issue for me on trips, where I generally just want to review the day's shots, and maybe do a bit of editing to see if a marginal shot is usable. I will then export the LR catalog when I get home and do the final editing on the desktop.

So far the only problems I have found is that it needed a BIOS update to fix a problem with failures to restart or come out of sleep mode reliably. It also seems to have a habit of ignoring the power button sometimes and needing repeated attempts to switch on. I am not sure if this a general firmware problem or just a sticky button on my example.

I believe the Surface Pro, which is a similar device, uses the Intel i5 which is as good as the CPU in most laptops or desktops, but at around twice the price of the Asus T100.

For the Apple fans out there think of this sort of Windows device as equivalent to a Macbook Air running full Mac O/S, able to run full Mac applications and also iOS tablet apps, but in tablet form factor with detachable keyboard.  This is a highly versatile class of device, but it is just not available from Apple.  You would need a Macbook Air plus an iPad to cover the same bases, albeit less elegantly, in the Apple world.

Fred

-- hide signature --

"We are so small between the stars, so large against the sky." Leonard Cohen c1967

Fred Briggs's gear list:Fred Briggs's gear list
Sony Alpha 7 Sony E 10-18mm F4 OSS Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS Sony FE 24-70mm F4 OSS
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Mel Snyder
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,777Gear list
Like?
Re: Best iPad photo upload approach for maximize megapixels?
In reply to Mike Fewster, 8 months ago

Mike Fewster wrote:

Mel Snyder wrote:

LBJ2 wrote:

Any thoughts on the best way to upload photos to the iPad to transfer the most amount of megapixels ?

See my answer to your private message. Photogene loads and lets you edit the RAW and allows you to save a very big jpeg.

Mel, are you saying that Photogene does the Raw conversion and edits in rAW but saves the image as a jpeg? Is the data for the edited RAW kept in something like sidecar? Can the edited RAW be retrieved once you get to a full sized computer?

-- hide signature --

Mike Fewster
Adelaide Australia

1. Allows you to edit in raw.

2. Allows you to save in jpeg

3. Saves the edited jpeg in "photo stream" (the imported raw stays in camera roll)

"Can the edited RAW be retrieved once you get to a full sized computer?"

The original raw file is there in camera roll and can be copied to a big computer. The jpeg created from the edited raw can definitely be sent to a full size computer. I'm not sure the edited raw file can be. But it must still exist in the iPad because if you return to the file a second time, the edits from the first time are there and can be reversed. I just don't know if that file can be extracted. You might post the question on the Mobile Pond (developer) web site

Mel Snyder's gear list:Mel Snyder's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony Alpha 7 Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake Leica Summicron-M 50mm f/2 Sony E 55-210mm F4.5-6.3 OSS +12 more
Russell Evans
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,254
Like?
In reply to seraiah, 8 months ago

seraiah wrote:

thanks for all the info. SP2 is attractive, indeed. I don't need anything professional level, though, and it seems like all the things you listed won't fit my relatively meagre budget :/

The first generation Surface Pro can be bought a BestBuy for $600 which put you closer to your budget.

Thank you
Russell

Mel Snyder
Like?
Re: let me try again: why do YOU say Android tabs are "useless devices"? (n/t)
In reply to abortabort, 8 months ago

abortabort wrote:

seraiah wrote:

abortabort wrote:

joel artino wrote:

You won't be sorry and you won't second guess yourself in a few months.

Case closed, truly.

Joel

Except there is a very good chance they will.

Case closed? Because you say the same thing over and over? Yeah, that's how things should work.

That's my personal experience with them. Others might be able to suggest otherwise with their own reasons. If I want a tablet device to edit images on the go, I don't want a limited quasi-app or have to use multiple apps and then figure out how to 'sync' somehow these devices AND not be able to transfer any of my edits / libraries over to my main editing machine when I get back home. Using a Windows tablet is simply like using an ultrabook in a tablet form factor. I can use LR on a regular USB hard drive with all my libraries saved that I can plug straight into my (Mac) laptop and continue editing, no exporting, no having to buy external devices that often do less than they advertise, or have cluncky work arounds to get stuff in and out of them.

It isn't about whether an iPad can do it, it is how it actually fits in with my other gear and my workflow. Yes I could probably do an edit of sorts on an iPad, but with non-destructive editing I have to have that edit information come across to my main system and it simply won't. So when I go to edit 'properly' I have to start from scratch - This makes the whole editing on the go process completely pointless to me.

Android has even less useful apps in my experience and is no way near as mature as the iPad. But Windows has been around a lot longer than both of them put together and has by far the biggest range of fully fledged professional applications available. For me I just use Sketchbook Pro, Lightroom, Photoshop plus web browser, email etc and that's it on my PP tablet. If I want a general surfing device there are better options (the iPad definitely being one of them) but for image manipulation there is nothing close to a Windows tablet (oh except the wonderful but bloody expensive Axiom Mac converted tablets - One of those would be the best of the best, but sadly out of my budget).

You might want to consider a Macbook Air, if you want all you want, especially on the next refresh.

I've been pretty resistant to the current 11 inch Macbook Air because I'm hoping Apple can solve the power issues for a retina screen.

Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony Alpha 7 Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake Leica Summicron-M 50mm f/2 Sony E 55-210mm F4.5-6.3 OSS +12 more
bill hansen
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,184
Like?
How safe is back up to HDD on a trip??
In reply to Fred Briggs, 8 months ago

Do any of you worry about loss of data (images) when backing up to HDD on a trip? It's fine when you're at home and the HDD isn't going through TSA, bounced around in the airplane/taxi/etc - but I wonder how often all that bouncing etc causes HD failure. Almost never? This is a serious question, because in a few months I'm going on a long trip where I'll need a small portable computer, ideally one on which I could safely back up images/video which will (probably) total at least 100GB.

The idea of being able to back up to SDD, which I think is immune to all the bumping and jostling, is very appealing. Very expensive too, I imagine.

So - reliability and speed of backup, flexibility to do some very light sorting and editing of images, and affordability. Those are my wishes.

BTW - if it matters - I'm currently using a PowerPC desktop to edit in PS6, a Dell laptop (no editing on that) for when my wife is using the desktop computer, and a Kindle Fire HD 8.9 tablet for light general use when traveling. The Kindle doesn't have an SD slot or a USB port, unfortunately.

-- hide signature --

Bill Hansen
Ithaca NY, USA

Mel Snyder
Like?
In reply to Fred Briggs, 8 months ago

Fred Briggs wrote:

Mike Fewster wrote:

chillzatl wrote:

Mike Fewster wrote:

The Surface pro2 It is the only tablet that has the grunt for proper raw processing. With other machines you will be limited to jpeg files or very slow processing.

If you want something to travel with that has the power to process RAW and do hedium serious editing as you travel, you will need either the Surface pro 2 or an Apple laptop or PC ultrabook/laptop. You also need at least 4 meg of ram which the Surface Pro2 has.

That's not true at all. The latest gen quad core bay trail processors handle raw images just fine and with only 2gb of ram.

I may be wrong, I wouldn't have thought any atom based processor could do a satisfactory job with RAW files. But I will follow it up. What tablet is using that processor and what RAW processing software on that tablet are you referring to?

-- hide signature --

Mike Fewster
Adelaide Australia

I have the Asus T100 tablet/laptop which runs the full version of Windows 8.1. It has the latest Atom CPU (1.33-GHz quad-core Atom Z3740) and 2GB of RAM, and also comes with a free Office 2013 Home and Student license. There are versions with 32 and 64GB SSDs as the main boot drive, and it has a MicroSD slot to take up to 64GB cards for additional storage on the tablet. The detachable keyboard provides a full size USB 3.0 socket. There are also versions with an additional 500 GB HDD housed in the keyboard. I have one of these and it is ideal for photo backups.

I can confirm that this device can run the full version of Adobe Lightroom and open RAW files from all of my past and present cameras. It is obviously not as fast as my desktop computer at editing, but still very usable. This is not an issue for me on trips, where I generally just want to review the day's shots, and maybe do a bit of editing to see if a marginal shot is usable. I will then export the LR catalog when I get home and do the final editing on the desktop.

So far the only problems I have found is that it needed a BIOS update to fix a problem with failures to restart or come out of sleep mode reliably. It also seems to have a habit of ignoring the power button sometimes and needing repeated attempts to switch on. I am not sure if this a general firmware problem or just a sticky button on my example.

I believe the Surface Pro, which is a similar device, uses the Intel i5 which is as good as the CPU in most laptops or desktops, but at around twice the price of the Asus T100.

For the Apple fans out there think of this sort of Windows device as equivalent to a Macbook Air running full Mac O/S, able to run full Mac applications and also iOS tablet apps, but in tablet form factor with detachable keyboard. This is a highly versatile class of device, but it is just not available from Apple. You would need a Macbook Air plus an iPad to cover the same bases, albeit less elegantly, in the Apple world.

Fred

-- hide signature --

"We are so small between the stars, so large against the sky." Leonard Cohen c1967

Sounds like you have a system that works great for you. I'd only note that it you "generally just want to review the day's shots, and maybe do a bit of editing to see if a marginal shot is usable" - that doesn't need all the power and capabilities of your Windows system.

If you do just that on the road, consider Photosmith  - I have not used it yet, but those who are deeply into Lightroom image management adore it. I have a different workflow, in which I shoot both raw and jpeg, and use the jpeg to view prospective raw files for editing - under the assumption that the in-camera processing is the standard to exceed. It also keeps me from filling my hard drive with images I don't intend to PP

Russell Evans
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,254
Like?
Re: How safe is back up to HDD on a trip??
In reply to bill hansen, 8 months ago

bill hansen wrote:

Do any of you worry about loss of data (images) when backing up to HDD on a trip?

I back up to slower larger cheaper SD cards. I keep the original SD cards with my gear that I carry about and have the back up cards stay in the hotel room safe or whatever. A couple of large cards has been all I need for back up and I can put a couple SD cards in a travelers wallet when I am moving with my luggage and gear, so the two copies aren't as likely to be stolen together. If I haven't gone crazy with shooting, I usually split the backup cards so each card has a copy of the files, so I actually have three sets of files to work with, so one set on me, one set in the luggage, one set with my gear. There's always the possibility of mailing a card back home with a backup set as well on longer trips.

Thank you
Russell

patriotspyke
Regular MemberPosts: 169Gear list
Like?
In reply to Mel Snyder, 8 months ago

Now now, we all know Ipad is by far the best, I mean look at evolution and what has been added since launch.... FINGERPRINT RECOGNITION hands down winner, case closed

-- hide signature --

patriotspyke's gear list:patriotspyke's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony SLT-A58 Sony DT 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 SAM II +6 more
abortabort
Contributing MemberPosts: 983Gear list
Like?

abortabort wrote:

seraiah wrote:

abortabort wrote:

joel artino wrote:

Case closed, truly.

Joel

Case closed? Because you say the same thing over and over? Yeah, that's how things should work.

That's my personal experience with them. Others might be able to suggest otherwise with their own reasons. If I want a tablet device to edit images on the go, I don't want a limited quasi-app or have to use multiple apps and then figure out how to 'sync' somehow these devices AND not be able to transfer any of my edits / libraries over to my main editing machine when I get back home. Using a Windows tablet is simply like using an ultrabook in a tablet form factor. I can use LR on a regular USB hard drive with all my libraries saved that I can plug straight into my (Mac) laptop and continue editing, no exporting, no having to buy external devices that often do less than they advertise, or have cluncky work arounds to get stuff in and out of them.

It isn't about whether an iPad can do it, it is how it actually fits in with my other gear and my workflow. Yes I could probably do an edit of sorts on an iPad, but with non-destructive editing I have to have that edit information come across to my main system and it simply won't. So when I go to edit 'properly' I have to start from scratch - This makes the whole editing on the go process completely pointless to me.

Android has even less useful apps in my experience and is no way near as mature as the iPad. But Windows has been around a lot longer than both of them put together and has by far the biggest range of fully fledged professional applications available. For me I just use Sketchbook Pro, Lightroom, Photoshop plus web browser, email etc and that's it on my PP tablet. If I want a general surfing device there are better options (the iPad definitely being one of them) but for image manipulation there is nothing close to a Windows tablet (oh except the wonderful but bloody expensive Axiom Mac converted tablets - One of those would be the best of the best, but sadly out of my budget).

You might want to consider a Macbook Air, if you want all you want, especially on the next refresh.

I've been pretty resistant to the current 11 inch Macbook Air because I'm hoping Apple can solve the power issues for a retina screen.

Why? I get all I want out of my Windows tablet that runs the same PP software but comes with a higher resolution 1080p IPS display, has a detachable keyboard to morph it into an equally powerful tablet, that has not only touch but a pressure sensitive, highly accurate (higher than screen resolution) digitizer pen that works regardless of what application I am running. Why would I want a low res, low quality display, with fixed keyboard, no touch, no digitizer, laptop running the same basic hardware using the same PP software at twice the price? Other than that it's an Apple and you seem to think that that is what everyone should buy?

For what it's worth I have a 13" rMBP, a 15" Quad i7 MBP and an 8-Core Mac Pro plus a 3rd gen Retina iPad... None of which offer the particular hardward feature set I prefer in a travel device for PP on the go. I wish they did do an iPad Pro with Wacom Digitizer and full Mac OS X, but they won't ever do that. I don't particularly care about Windows or anything else, my tablet is purely a travel PP device with a decent web browser thrown in to the bargain. It sure is a lot faster than the iPad, even for simple web browsing.

Oh and having a proper file manager and ability to just plug in and use external storage devices is the kicker.

To do the same thing as my tablet for Mac would require a MBA plus a Wacom Cintiq 13", which is not only getting to well over 4 times what my tablet cost, it is close to 4 times the weight.

But thank you for the suggestion.

abortabort's gear list:abortabort's gear list
Sony RX100 Ricoh GR Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 Konica Minolta Maxxum 7D Sony Alpha DSLR-A850 +32 more
patriotspyke
Regular MemberPosts: 169Gear list
Like?
In reply to abortabort, 8 months ago

abortabort wrote:

abortabort wrote:

seraiah wrote:

abortabort wrote:

joel artino wrote:

Case closed, truly.

Joel

Why? I get all I want out of my Windows tablet that runs the same PP software but comes with a higher resolution 1080p IPS display, has a detachable keyboard to morph it into an equally powerful tablet, that has not only touch but a pressure sensitive, highly accurate (higher than screen resolution) digitizer pen that works regardless of what application I am running. Why would I want a low res, low quality display, with fixed keyboard, no touch, no digitizer, laptop running the same basic hardware using the same PP software at twice the price? Other than that it's an Apple and you seem to think that that is what everyone should buy?

For what it's worth I have a 13" rMBP, a 15" Quad i7 MBP and an 8-Core Mac Pro plus a 3rd gen Retina iPad... None of which offer the particular hardward feature set I prefer in a travel device for PP on the go. I wish they did do an iPad Pro with Wacom Digitizer and full Mac OS X, but they won't ever do that. I don't particularly care about Windows or anything else, my tablet is purely a travel PP device with a decent web browser thrown in to the bargain. It sure is a lot faster than the iPad, even for simple web browsing.

Oh and having a proper file manager and ability to just plug in and use external storage devices is the kicker.

To do the same thing as my tablet for Mac would require a MBA plus a Wacom Cintiq 13", which is not only getting to well over 4 times what my tablet cost, it is close to 4 times the weight.

But thank you for the suggestion.

You forgot one other flaw with the ipad (the shift key does not show the font moves to CAPS)

-- hide signature --

patriotspyke's gear list:patriotspyke's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony SLT-A58 Sony DT 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 SAM II +6 more
Mel Snyder
Like?
In reply to bill hansen, 8 months ago

bill hansen wrote:

Do any of you worry about loss of data (images) when backing up to HDD on a trip? It's fine when you're at home and the HDD isn't going through TSA, bounced around in the airplane/taxi/etc - but I wonder how often all that bouncing etc causes HD failure. Almost never? This is a serious question, because in a few months I'm going on a long trip where I'll need a small portable computer, ideally one on which I could safely back up images/video which will (probably) total at least 100GB.

The idea of being able to back up to SDD, which I think is immune to all the bumping and jostling, is very appealing. Very expensive too, I imagine.

So - reliability and speed of backup, flexibility to do some very light sorting and editing of images, and affordability. Those are my wishes.

BTW - if it matters - I'm currently using a PowerPC desktop to edit in PS6, a Dell laptop (no editing on that) for when my wife is using the desktop computer, and a Kindle Fire HD 8.9 tablet for light general use when traveling. The Kindle doesn't have an SD slot or a USB port, unfortunately.

-- hide signature --

Bill Hansen
Ithaca NY, USA

Bill - check out this device - it should let you import your images from SD cards to your Kindle AND back them up to a portable hard drive. Now, you just need an Android editing program.

hyenadog
Contributing MemberPosts: 726
Like?
Re: Suggestions on a tablet for pp? a few q's...
In reply to joel artino, 8 months ago

joel artino wrote:

seraiah wrote:

Hi! I'm looking at getting my first tablet, and I've never had a smart phone, so: please bear with me if these are dumb questions ;).

I'm posting here because I'm hoping to get one that 'plays well' with my NEX5R, if there's one that's easier to work with for a newbie? I'd like to be able to use it for post-processing, and maybe for remote viewing/control - (is that an option?) We'd use it on trips, for backing up and viewing photos, so does that mean I should go with one that has a memory card slot?

Do people prefer Android, Apple or Windows in cases like this? which has the best tablet apps for pp?

Tablets with Wacom styluses are intriguing, but how much better are they for writing and pp than capacitive styluses?

Our main computer runs Windows, if that means anything. Budget is up to about 500. Thanks for any help you can give to get me off the fence!

It's a no brainer as far as i am concerned, get an iPad Air, best user experience, great screen, great selection of software. Only problem is that once you view your photos on the iPad Air, you'll most likely want to get a better computer monitor.

Joel

spot on Joel, i far prefer PC's to OSx(apple) but the retina screen and 4:3 screen ratio (along with the guarantee of manufacturer apps) are the reasons i got an ipad 4

.. remember though IOS takes up a fair bit of the default 16GB (scam really) you get .. and apple im sure to force you to upgrade also makes it difficult for apps to release memory (another scam to force you to upgrade) so you will really struggle with 16GB .. get 32GB at least ... thats my only regret really getting the 16GB rather than the 32GB

wifi drives only do so much you will still have to transfer from the wifidrive to the ipad to do anything on the files

hyenadog
Contributing MemberPosts: 726
Like?
Re: iPad Advantage over Surface Pro 2?
In reply to Sir Pics A Lot, 8 months ago

Sir Pics A Lot wrote:

What advantages does the iPad have over the Surface Pro 2?

4:3 screen ratio, retina screen and guarantee of manufacturer apps eg there is an ipad app for NEX but not a win 8 app

Mel Snyder
Like?
This is NUTS! The guy's never had a tablet!
In reply to patriotspyke, 8 months ago

patriotspyke wrote:

Now now, we all know Ipad is by far the best, I mean look at evolution and what has been added since launch.... FINGERPRINT RECOGNITION hands down winner, case closed

-- hide signature --

Yes, but I can edit on a flight all the way from Boston to Buenos Aires without plugging in. You'll make it to what, Dallas? And when you get there, and there's a problem with your Asus, who in Taiwan do you call for help? Or if you drop it and break the screen, who in Buenos Aires do you go to to get it fixed?

This started as a thread about a guy who's never owned a tablet of any kind wanting to know what he should buy for under $500. 200 million people, most of whom have never owned a tablet before, have voted with their pocketbooks, and continue to buy more of them than all other tablets combined. A newcomer just wants a tablet he can do simple stuff with, like import images from his SD card, make a few simple edits with an easy to use app, and maybe send them to friends and folks back home on his travels.

His budget is $500. For that, he can buy a certified 64GB iPad 3 directly from Apple with a retina screen and a 1 year warranty.  He can walk into any of more than 400 Apple stores anywhere in the world and get free help with any question he has. He can call a toll-free number and get splendid help by phone. He has access to more photo apps than he could ever hope for, free.

It's not about horsepower or owning the meanest power tablet on the market. Wacom input and other options are for the 1%.

For the rest of us, we're just photographers who love their little Sony cameras. I'm surprised how many forum members just want auto ISO and nothing to do with PP of RAW at all. They want the same qualities in a tablet - simple, reliable, no fuss. Would that Sony had the degree of support that Apple provides free.

As for advances since launch, they're epic. And no matter what any company anywhere in the world has done to produce more technically superior devices, none have dented either the consumer or enterprise market. The anti-Apple forces remind me of the Tea Party types the morning after each Obama victory - "How could so many people be so stupid as to vote differently than us?"

I personally resisted all Apple products until the launch of the iPad. I stuck with DOS until 1990. I stuck with Windows against all Mac products, even after my kids both went MacBook. The iPad smacked me in the face. It was transformational, and I wasn't too proud to admit my stubbornness had stood in the way of enjoying a superior experience. I haven't missed liberation from msconfig or system restore or crashes that lost files. I don't miss my $400/year onsite service contract payments because of an IBM/Lenovo part failed. I don't miss paying Microsoft huge amounts of money for new OS. I don't miss buying Norton or McAfee every year, or constantly running malware and trojan-seeking programs. I don't miss paid tech support people telling me it's not the hardware, call Microsoft.

I walk into my local Apple store with a rare problem, I get a smart Genius Bar tech who finds it and fixes it. He or she never blame it on someone else. If I own an Apple device and I'm not happy, it's Apple's problem, and they're there to make it right. And they do. No charge.

If Sony gave that kind of support, 90% of these forum posts would disappear. And they'd knock both Nikon and Canon off their higher horses within 5 years.

Your Windows machine or tablet has a problem, who are you going to call? - Steve Ballmer? What does THAT guy know about your machine?

This is my last post on this thread. Like so many, it's degenerated way off the topic of the OP. I'm just pleased to see I didn't initiate it this time.

Mel Snyder
Like?
In reply to hyenadog, 8 months ago

hyenadog wrote:

joel artino wrote:

seraiah wrote:

Hi! I'm looking at getting my first tablet, and I've never had a smart phone, so: please bear with me if these are dumb questions ;).

I'm posting here because I'm hoping to get one that 'plays well' with my NEX5R, if there's one that's easier to work with for a newbie? I'd like to be able to use it for post-processing, and maybe for remote viewing/control - (is that an option?) We'd use it on trips, for backing up and viewing photos, so does that mean I should go with one that has a memory card slot?

Do people prefer Android, Apple or Windows in cases like this? which has the best tablet apps for pp?

Tablets with Wacom styluses are intriguing, but how much better are they for writing and pp than capacitive styluses?

Our main computer runs Windows, if that means anything. Budget is up to about 500. Thanks for any help you can give to get me off the fence!

It's a no brainer as far as i am concerned, get an iPad Air, best user experience, great screen, great selection of software. Only problem is that once you view your photos on the iPad Air, you'll most likely want to get a better computer monitor.

Joel

spot on Joel, i far prefer PC's to OSx(apple) but the retina screen and 4:3 screen ratio (along with the guarantee of manufacturer apps) are the reasons i got an ipad 4

.. remember though IOS takes up a fair bit of the default 16GB (scam really) you get .. and apple im sure to force you to upgrade also makes it difficult for apps to release memory (another scam to force you to upgrade) so you will really struggle with 16GB .. get 32GB at least ... thats my only regret really getting the 16GB rather than the 32GB

wifi drives only do so much you will still have to transfer from the wifidrive to the ipad to do anything on the files

"IOS takes up a fair bit of the default 16GB (scam really)" Try to get a 16GB windows tablet. In fact, check to see how much room is left on a 32GB windows tablet. iOS 6 took up about 2GB. iOS7 takes up about 3.1GB.

"also makes it difficult for apps to release memory (another scam to force you to upgrade) so you will really struggle with 16GB"

Which iOS are you using? Pre-iOS 7, just hit the home button twice and click on the programs in memory with a "X" and you can clear them. In iOS7, do the same and swipe up on the screen icon.

"wifi drives only do so much you will still have to transfer from the wifidrive to the ipad to do anything on the files"

Nope. With the latest ones, you can copy the files from your SD card to the hard drive, edit them on the hard drive, and save them to, say, Dropbox or Box.

If you own an iPad, make an appointment with an Apple Store, come with a list of your questions, and spend perhaps 30-40 minutes learning how to do what you clearly don't understand.

Anyone who owns an Asus can go to the Asus store in your local mall and ask them. Or a Best Buy salesman.

Or if a Surface, to the Microsoft island in your local mall. See what the guy manning it knows. You don't need an appointment.

bill hansen
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,184
Like?

Thanks Mel - Looks interesting. I'll have to check it out further. Have you used it, or do you know anyone who has used it?

-- hide signature --

Bill Hansen
Ithaca NY, USA

José B
Forum ProPosts: 17,492Gear list
Like?
Dell Venue Pro 8 using Fotor (pics)

seraiah wrote:

I just got back from a vacation. I took my Dell Venue Pro 8 and was able to light process some pics while I was in Southeast Asia and here are some. Overall I'm happy with my tablet, the only drawback is that when the tablet is inactive for a long time (maybe like a day) it will sometimes lose it's wi-fi connection and could not find the network adapter. When this happens, I have to restart the system and it would work.

Good luck with whatever decision you make.

Cheers,

José

José B's gear list:José B's gear list
Canon EOS-1D Mark III Canon EOS 5D Mark II Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony a6000 Canon EF 35mm f/1.4L USM +10 more
Godfrey
Forum ProPosts: 27,488
Like?

I use an iPad 2 and an iPad mini (both 64G, with cellular data) at present. I'm mostly using the mini now as it is easier to carry. I've had the iPad 2 since 2011 and the iPad mini since sometime early last year. I've carried them as my only computing devices other than an iPhone 4S on several trips and not had a single issue using them anywhere in the US, UK, Ireland, Europe, and Mexico.

Both work very well. There are a lot of different apps to process images with, I use several of them.

I'll update the mini this year to a current model with Retina display, the latest cpu, and 128G storage. I like the larger format on the iPad Air too, but the mini fits in my camera bag ... and my jacket pocket ... more conveniently.

Oh yes:

• I've used the Sony software with both of them to control the A7 for capture and to transfer A7 images to them for processing. The Sony software is a little clumsy but it works well.
  • The A7 files transfer to the iPad very easily with the Camera Connection Kit, both JPEGs and raws.
  • PhotoRAW processes the raw files to TIFF or JPEG.
  • The Eye-Fi card does a better, faster job of transferring A7 JPEG and raw files wirelessly, either through my home Wi-Fi network or point to point, direct to the iPad.
  • SnapSeed and Photogene are excellent image editors. Keynote and iMovie do a great job presenting photos. 
-- hide signature --
abortabort
Contributing MemberPosts: 983Gear list
Like?

hyenadog wrote:

joel artino wrote:

seraiah wrote:

Joel

"IOS takes up a fair bit of the default 16GB (scam really)" Try to get a 16GB windows tablet. In fact, check to see how much room is left on a 32GB windows tablet. iOS 6 took up about 2GB. iOS7 takes up about 3.1GB.

"also makes it difficult for apps to release memory (another scam to force you to upgrade) so you will really struggle with 16GB"

Which iOS are you using? Pre-iOS 7, just hit the home button twice and click on the programs in memory with a "X" and you can clear them. In iOS7, do the same and swipe up on the screen icon.

"wifi drives only do so much you will still have to transfer from the wifidrive to the ipad to do anything on the files"

Nope. With the latest ones, you can copy the files from your SD card to the hard drive, edit them on the hard drive, and save them to, say, Dropbox or Box.

If you own an iPad, make an appointment with an Apple Store, come with a list of your questions, and spend perhaps 30-40 minutes learning how to do what you clearly don't understand.

Anyone who owns an Asus can go to the Asus store in your local mall and ask them. Or a Best Buy salesman.

Or if a Surface, to the Microsoft island in your local mall. See what the guy manning it knows. You don't need an appointment.

Wow, I'm just stunned. You seem to know an awful lot about what the OP needs, based on your own ideals about the iPad. I see you didn't rebutt a single one of the items I listed, didn't even try because you are completely out of your depth... You make all these broad claims and then have nothing to back them up with other than some snippets you read on the internet.

Well actually it is you and the others in this thread with your iPad blinkers on that cause this thread to degrade. Instead of letting people share their experiences and let the OP make up theie own mind, you constantly have to howl down any other suggestions with your cult of iPad nonsense. Between you and Joel you seem to think if you shout it enough and if you keep 'proving' it by talking about user base you'll get another in your cult.

Lets look at it another way, who has a bigger installed user base - OS X or Windows? Forget about iPad for a minute. If you want professional software for professional tasks these are the two systems most will turn to.

People don't turn to an oversized phone to get serious work done, simple as that. With real systems for getting work done you have those two choices and unfortunately (for me) Apple has a really limited selection of hardware choices for that, you can have a laptop, a slightly bigger laptop or a bigger laptop again OR you can have a desktop, a bigger desktop or a bigger desktop.

Sadly then, Windows is the only professional choice OS that also runs on a variety of hardware, including tablet devices. I wish there was a Mac option, but there is not. An iPad is the point and shoot of the tablet world, but great if all you want is a point and shoot.

You start off by saying that the OP only wants something simple, however the question is 'what is the best tablet for PP?' and that my friend is not the iPad.

abortabort's gear list:abortabort's gear list
Sony RX100 Ricoh GR Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 Konica Minolta Maxxum 7D Sony Alpha DSLR-A850 +32 more
Osssis
Regular MemberPosts: 355Gear list
Like?

I like my surface pro. I have original 128GB model. I can use lightroom on it which is the main reason for me to have windows tablet. With 24MB a77 it's nice to have that extra space for raw files. The screen is 1080p ips and processor is i5 which are the things that you will lose with cheaper models from other manufacturers. 1st gen battery life is quite bad but gen 2 is better. Surface pro can also output to 2560x1440 which is something every tablet can't.

Wacom digitizer is great but I found it easier to use mouse for PP. For drawing the pen is the way to go. Lack of keyboard dock that allows it work is a let down. The current models rely on the stand behind the tablet for support. This is not ideal for most cases.

Compared to other OSes I windows allows quire nice multitasking. I can divide the screen to two parts and run different software on them no matter if they are tile or desktop type programs. Or use desktop mode as in normal windows pc. 1080p screen has enough pixels for this to work. Lower amount might be too little.

If you use lightroom you will also need keyboard for optimal use. Therefor if you want windows model I'd recommend something with good dock, 1080p screen, digitizer and enough ssd space. Something that dell or lenovo might have.

I don't know if you can remote control nex with it though.

I've used android and ipad tablets and I feel that windows is better just for that screen dividing for productivity and consume. I am even now watching netflix and writing this :). If other tablets can do this I stand corrected.

Osssis's gear list:Osssis's gear list
Sony Alpha DSLR-A900 Samsung NX11 Sony SLT-A77 Sony SLT-A37 Samsung NX 30mm F2 Pancake +6 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads