Suggestions on a tablet for pp? a few q's...

Started 8 months ago | Questions
seraiah
Forum MemberPosts: 71Gear list
Like?
Suggestions on a tablet for pp? a few q's...
8 months ago

Hi! I'm looking at getting my first tablet, and I've never had a smart phone, so: please bear with me if these are dumb questions ;).

I'm posting here because I'm hoping to get one that 'plays well' with my NEX5R, if there's one that's easier to work with for a newbie? I'd like to be able to use it for post-processing, and maybe for remote viewing/control - (is that an option?)  We'd use it on trips, for backing up and viewing photos, so does that mean I should go with one that has a memory card slot?

Do people prefer Android, Apple or Windows in cases like this? which has the best tablet apps for pp?

Tablets with Wacom styluses are intriguing, but how much better are they for writing and pp than capacitive styluses?

Our main computer runs Windows, if that means anything. Budget is up to about 500. Thanks for any help you can give to get me off the fence!

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
NEX5R
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
unknown member
(unknown member)
Like?
Re: Suggestions on a tablet for pp? a few q's...
In reply to seraiah, 8 months ago

seraiah wrote:

Hi! I'm looking at getting my first tablet, and I've never had a smart phone, so: please bear with me if these are dumb questions ;).

I'm posting here because I'm hoping to get one that 'plays well' with my NEX5R, if there's one that's easier to work with for a newbie? I'd like to be able to use it for post-processing, and maybe for remote viewing/control - (is that an option?) We'd use it on trips, for backing up and viewing photos, so does that mean I should go with one that has a memory card slot?

Do people prefer Android, Apple or Windows in cases like this? which has the best tablet apps for pp?

Tablets with Wacom styluses are intriguing, but how much better are they for writing and pp than capacitive styluses?

Our main computer runs Windows, if that means anything. Budget is up to about 500. Thanks for any help you can give to get me off the fence!

It's a no brainer as far as i am concerned, get an iPad Air, best user experience, great screen, great selection of software. Only problem is that once you view your photos on the iPad Air, you'll most likely want to get a better computer monitor.

Joel

joel artino's gear list:joel artino's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS20 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Olympus PEN E-PM2 Fujifilm X-A1
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Joachim Wulfers
Senior MemberPosts: 1,070Gear list
Like?
In reply to joel artino, 8 months ago

joel artino wrote:

seraiah wrote:

I'm posting here because I'm hoping to get one that 'plays well' with my NEX5R, if there's one that's easier to work with for a newbie? I'd like to be able to use it for post-processing, and maybe for remote viewing/control - (is that an option?) We'd use it on trips, for backing up and viewing photos, so does that mean I should go with one that has a memory card slot?

Our main computer runs Windows, if that means anything. Budget is up to about 500. Thanks for any help you can give to get me off the fence!

It's a no brainer as far as i am concerned, get an iPad Air, best user experience, great screen, great selection of software. Only problem is that once you view your photos on the iPad Air, you'll most likely want to get a better computer monitor.

Joel

Since the poster uses Windows on his main computer. A Surface, ACER or Asos or others may be a better choice. There are a number of laptops/tablets with equal or better screens than iPad Air as far as definition is concerned.

-- hide signature --

Joachim

Joachim Wulfers's gear list:Joachim Wulfers's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony a6000 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake Sony E 18-200mm F3.5-6.3 OSS +9 more
unknown member
(unknown member)
Like?
In reply to Joachim Wulfers, 8 months ago

Joachim Wulfers wrote:

joel artino wrote:

seraiah wrote:

Joel

Since the poster uses Windows on his main computer. A Surface, ACER or Asos or others may be a better choice. There are a number of laptops/tablets with equal or better screens than iPad Air as far as definition is concerned.

-- hide signature --

Joachim

Sorry, but it makes little difference if he has a Windows machine or a Mac, the iPad Air is the best tablet.

http://www.techradar.com/us/news/mobile-computing/tablets/10-best-tablet-pcs-in-the-world-today-1079603/7#articleContent

http://www.laptopmag.com/best-tablets.aspx

http://www.pocket-lint.com/news/120903-best-tablets-2014-the-best-tablets-available-to-buy-today

and many more knowledgeable reviewers say the same.

Joel

joel artino's gear list:joel artino's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS20 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Olympus PEN E-PM2 Fujifilm X-A1
Mel Snyder
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,810Gear list
Like?

seraiah wrote:

I am coming up on 4 years using an iPad for on-the-road post-processing, starting with an iPad 1 and now an iPad 3. I have used an iPad for PP throughout the EU, UK, the Middle East and South America. I have processed, emailed and stored on Dropbox tens of thousands of Nikon and Sony images on my iPad.

In that time, dozens of non-Apple tablets have come and gone, as have multiple versions of the Android operating systems. Microsoft lost $93 million trying to sell the Surface in 2013, which has poor battery life, a bloated operating system that overwhelms its memory capacity, and quite likely to be discontinued by the new CEO appointed last week as the company refocuses on server software.

For the past 4 years, I have used Photogene, an editing program similar to Photoelements. The latest version actually edits RAW images. However, within the next few weeks, Adobe will introduce an iOS (iPad) version of Lightroom. From that point on, there is no question whatsoever - the only tablet for serious on-the-road post-processing will be the iPad Air. Its A7 processor and the broad range of great photo apps - now and in the future - make it the logical tablet choice. The only other choice might be a similarly powered iPad Mini. While the cost of iPad memory is excessive, you will regret getting a model with less than 64GB - 128GB is ideal.

There are many who will argue that there are Android tablets that are cheaper with equal or superior screens, that the unpopular Surface tablets can be picked up for much less than an iPad. To date, Apple has sold more than 200 million iPads, and is committed to manufacturing more, including a reputed iPad Pro with a 13-inch screen. They get the best apps, and you will find excellent video editing apps like Pinnacle, too.

Bottom line - IMO there are cheaper tablets, but none better, and none with the likelihood of longterm value and flexibility like the iPad. It is not yet equal to the MacBook Air, but the MacBook Air today lacks a retina screen. It's reported Apple is working on one for 2015-2016.

You should have no problem finding a used iPad 3 or even an iPad 4 with 64GB for your $500 budget.

Mel Snyder's gear list:Mel Snyder's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony Alpha 7 Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake Leica Summicron-M 50mm f/2 Sony E 55-210mm F4.5-6.3 OSS +12 more
Mel Snyder
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,810Gear list
Like?

joel artino wrote:

Joachim Wulfers wrote:

joel artino wrote:

seraiah wrote:

Joel

Since the poster uses Windows on his main computer. A Surface, ACER or Asos or others may be a better choice. There are a number of laptops/tablets with equal or better screens than iPad Air as far as definition is concerned.

-- hide signature --

Joachim

Sorry, but it makes little difference if he has a Windows machine or a Mac, the iPad Air is the best tablet.

http://www.techradar.com/us/news/mobile-computing/tablets/10-best-tablet-pcs-in-the-world-today-1079603/7#articleContent

http://www.pocket-lint.com/news/120903-best-tablets-2014-the-best-tablets-available-to-buy-today

Joel

Totally agree. I had an iPad for 2 years, synchronizing it with my Windows 7 laptop, an IBM/Lenovo T61p Thinkpad

SD cards are copied into the iPad with a $30 "camera connector" very easily. iOS reads ARW and Sony jpegs perfectly.

And with the Zagg keyboard, it becomes a "little iOS laptop"

Mel Snyder's gear list:Mel Snyder's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony Alpha 7 Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake Leica Summicron-M 50mm f/2 Sony E 55-210mm F4.5-6.3 OSS +12 more
Chad Hardy
Senior MemberPosts: 1,182Gear list
Like?

I am an Apple guy, but also a serious tech guy as well.  I have had Android devices, Apple devices, and actually a Surface Pro.  I used all of them for months before coming to an opinion.

If you want something simple that has a huge ecosystem, get the iPad.  There are over half a million apps written just for it.  Android, a few thousand.  Surface Pro, even less.

If you want to really be able to customize the way the OS behaves and like to hack around with your device, get Android.

If you are a business guy that needs a traveling laptop type tablet but also wants to use it a bit as a tablet the Surface might work.

I still recommend the iPad to everyone.  To this day no one has come back and said it was a bad choice.

Chad Hardy's gear list:Chad Hardy's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Sony Alpha 7R Fujifilm X-T1 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX100 III Fujifilm X-E2 +16 more
chillzatl
Regular MemberPosts: 426
Like?

seraiah wrote:

I have two ipads, a Galaxy tab 2, A surface pro, Surface Pro 2, Dell Venue 8 pro, Venue 11 pro and a few other random Win 8 tablets.

Do you already have PP apps that you use on your computer? Will you also want to do PP work on your computer with apps that you may or may not already have. Then it's a easy choice. A windows tablet will give you all the portability and convenience of a tablet, with none of the limitation and allow you to basically use the same apps across all your devices.  I run LR5 on all of the Windows devices listed above and it works great on all of them. Obviously the surface pro/2 offers the best performance, but it's also priced more like a laptop. I have the Bay Trail versions of the Venue 8 ($200-300, depending on where you get it) and 11 ($399 and up) and LR5 runs great on both. The Venue 8 is not a device I would recommend to do ALL your PP work on, but if you want something to take on trips with you, get all day battery life, will fit in your back pocket and allow you to review and edit some pics while you're out and about, it's an amazingly versatile devices. The Venue 11 pro cuts the back pocket level portability, but gives you a system you could use full time for everything, on the road, at home, whatever. I have the clamshell dock that makes it into a 3lb laptop, but also bumps the battery life up to around 15 hours and I have the slim keyboard for when I want ultimate portability.

I rarely use the stylus on my surface pro for anything photo related. I have used it some in PS, but it was nothing I would depend on it for. The Dell's have them as well, but they're not on the same level as the surface pro's stylus.

I love my ipads for what they are, great devices, but I have no interest shoving a square peg into a round hole when there are devices that give me all the convenience and none of the limitations.

InspecterJones
Forum MemberPosts: 73
Like?
In reply to Mel Snyder, 8 months ago

I would just like to add the ipad is the only tablet currently that can't just read files off an external sdcard. If you plug it in (with the lightning to sd adapter) you can only see thumbnails and must import before viewing in full or even thinking of editing. This is the most major letdown for being owner of an ipad, but it is to be expected as Apple doesnt want you to have any sort of workable external storage. Typical anti-consumer apple b*llsh*t. That being said, it's quite a nice device. I'm considering getting the Nexus 10 when they refresh it soon - assuming the screen will be on par. The biggest problem with Android tablets is that the quality is all over the map. Windows pro tablets are pretty tempting although I haven't really seen one below $500 and with a high quality screen, but being able to run full Lightroom and Photoshop on a tablet would be pretty damn sweet if you ask me. The dell venue pro has been as low as $199 but I can't speak for its quality from a photographers point of view. People seem to love them though.

chillzatl
Like?
In reply to InspecterJones, 8 months ago

InspecterJones wrote:

sweet if you ask me. The dell venue pro has been as low as $199 but I can't speak for its quality from a photographers point of view. People seem to love them though.

See my post right above yours. I would not hesitate to recommend the VP8.

abortabort
Contributing MemberPosts: 987Gear list
Like?

Joachim Wulfers wrote:

joel artino wrote:

seraiah wrote:

Joel

-- hide signature --

Joachim

Joel

Bahahaha! Yeah ok mate

So these reviews focus around using theae tablets as a post production tool for photographers or just 'which is the best tablet for mum and dad'?

Everything to do with photo editing on an iPad is a work around, a kludge. Yeah it can kind of sort of do some stuff, if you harrass it hard enough, but it doesnt't evwn come close to what you can do on a Windows tablet.

Even you admitted yourself, the iPad doesn't do what a Macbook Air can do... Well guess what, Windows tablets like the Surface Pro are just like MBA's but in a different, tablet shaped form factor.

abortabort's gear list:abortabort's gear list
Sony RX100 Ricoh GR Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 Konica Minolta Maxxum 7D Sony Alpha DSLR-A850 +32 more
blue_skies
Senior MemberPosts: 7,159Gear list
Like?
Re: Skip the tablet, skip the smartphone...

seraiah wrote:

The tablet and smartphone are nice to use for remote apps, but not for photo-editing.

If you use e.g. LR5.3, it requires windows 7 or 8, 64bit, and the tablet has most likely insufficient compute power - it will be excruciatingly slow or impossible to use it for pp.

Use a laptop and a portable USB3.0 harddrive (e.g. passport). These are both relatively cheap and you can store TeraBytes. You can also read SDcards easily and fast.

Because you get both display and keyboard, it is like having your PC with you.

If you want to splurge, get a solid-state harddrive, so there is no startup time, and very little battery drain - these laptops last plenty of hours, often longer than tablets.

I use a very thin ultrabook PC, about 1lb, with i7, 8GB, Windows 8.1, and a 2MP HD (touch) display. It is barely thicker than a tablet, and it weights about the same. It has HDMI out for a large monitor. It is probably above your budget - for $500, consider used: e.g. an i5 ultrabook with 4GB or a used MacBook Air.

Oh, and if you get Windows 8.1, get a portable (USB or bluetooth) mouse, even if you have a touch-screen, you'll be so glad that you did.

-- hide signature --

Cheers,
Henry

blue_skies's gear list:blue_skies's gear list
Canon PowerShot S95 Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony Alpha 7 Sony a6000 +30 more
Mike Fewster
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,875
Like?
Re: Do you shoot RAW, if so only one tablet can do it..

seraiah wrote:

The Surface pro2 It is the only tablet that has the grunt for proper raw processing. With other machines you will be limited to jpeg files or very slow processing.

If you want something to travel with that has the power to process RAW and do hedium serious editing as you travel, you will need either the Surface pro 2 or an Apple laptop or PC ultrabook/laptop. You also need at least 4 meg of ram which the Surface Pro2 has.

You also need to think about storage. If you are going to use the machine for serious work, say while travelling and you need the space to store/organize your raw files, you need a machine where you can plug in extra storage.

You need to consider what else you want your tablet/laptop to be doing. If you have things like movies stored on it for travel, you wont have too much space left for the operating system of you program and to store files.For a trip of, say, a month where I intend doing some real shooting (in RAW I might easily get 60 gig of shots) I have a 128gig drive HP ultrabook with 4meg ram plius a 1 terrabyte plug in hard drive to keep alll my files.

Other programs I am running on the hP include Lightroom 5. Word, Exell, ICE (for processing panoramas as I travel) , various games, communication programs. I could put Photoshop on there as well but LR handles most of what I need and I want to leave the operating system plenty of space.

I have looked long and hard at tablets and exchanged experiences of them with others with similar needs on various forums. As far as I can see, only the Surface Pro2 (although some may argue that technically it isn't a tablet) meets the need. I am sure that in the  the near future  a full tablet with the grunt will turn up.

If you already own Lightroom you may have a secomd copy on a protable machine and this means you do do most of your processing and organizing as you go, then just add to your main machine and catalogue when you return

You also need to look at how much battery time you will need. This of course varies depending on where/how you will be using your machine of choice

-- hide signature --

Mike Fewster
Adelaide Australia

jtosbo00
Forum MemberPosts: 57Gear list
Like?
In reply to Mike Fewster, 8 months ago

I've gone several tablets as A Project Manager for a web & mobile app development team of 17 employees.  The iPad is by far the tablet that team would choose for everyday use including for photo PP.  In case you are wondering if there might be favoritism among my team members, only one person uses Mac (Macbook Pro) for work while the rest are using Windows or Unix laptops or desktops. Some despise Apple. Despite this, all choose Apple iOS devices especially during testing. The surface tablets are often the last ones on the table for the poor intern. I would not touch a windows tablet as it is struggling in the mobile sector and may be killed.  Also, Lightroom is rumored to be coming to iOS devices soon as of 2 weeks ago.  Personally, after trying all three platforms, iPad is my everyday personal use and I PP in raw format.

jtosbo00's gear list:jtosbo00's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-TX30 Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony Alpha 7 Voigtlander 15mm F4.5 Super Wide Heliar Voigtlander 40mm F1.4 Nokton Classic +6 more
abortabort
Contributing MemberPosts: 987Gear list
Like?

it doesnt need to be a Surface Pro, there are plenty of other i5 type tablets with the same internal hardware as the Surface Pros, they are all basically ultrabooks in tablet (or convertible) form factor. Surface Pro isnt unique in this regard, but don't expect an Atom based machine to perform to the sane level (though the new Atoms are a huge improvement over the old).

abortabort's gear list:abortabort's gear list
Sony RX100 Ricoh GR Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 Konica Minolta Maxxum 7D Sony Alpha DSLR-A850 +32 more
LBJ2
Contributing MemberPosts: 570Gear list
Like?
In reply to Mel Snyder, 8 months ago

Thank you!  I was not aware of the Photogene app for iPad.  I just purchased this app for my iPad Air and am sure will be using this tool going forward.

LBJ2's gear list:LBJ2's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony Alpha 7R Sony a6000 Sony a77 II Sony DT 55-300mm F4.5-5.6 SAM +28 more
LBJ2
Like?
Best iPad photo upload approach for maximize megapixels?
In reply to jtosbo00, 8 months ago

Any thoughts on the best way to upload photos to the iPad to transfer the most amount of megapixels ?

Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony Alpha 7R Sony a6000 Sony a77 II Sony DT 55-300mm F4.5-5.6 SAM +28 more
bill hansen
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,185
Like?

Bookmarked. I need this advice too, though I do have a tablet now

-- hide signature --

Bill Hansen
Ithaca NY, USA

LBJ2
Like?
Photogene.
In reply to LBJ2, 8 months ago

Still experimenting with this Photogene (ver 4.1.1 pro) on the iPad Air. However, I was able to edit a 9.9MP jpeg.

chillzatl
Like?

Mike Fewster wrote:

The Surface pro2 It is the only tablet that has the grunt for proper raw processing. With other machines you will be limited to jpeg files or very slow processing.

If you want something to travel with that has the power to process RAW and do hedium serious editing as you travel, you will need either the Surface pro 2 or an Apple laptop or PC ultrabook/laptop. You also need at least 4 meg of ram which the Surface Pro2 has.

That's not true at all. The latest gen quad core bay trail processors handle raw images just fine and with only 2gb of ram.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads