Surprise: Olympus E-M1 uses a Panasonic sensor!

Started 5 months ago | Discussions
mlaprise
New MemberPosts: 3Gear list
Like?
Surprise: Olympus E-M1 uses a Panasonic sensor!
5 months ago
 mlaprise's gear list:mlaprise's gear list
Olympus PEN E-P5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 17mm 1:1.8
Olympus E-M1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
David Kieltyka
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,336Gear list
Like?
Re: Surprise: Olympus E-M1 uses a Panasonic sensor!
In reply to mlaprise, 5 months ago

Oh no! When I thought the E-M1 used a Sony sensor I loved its image quality. Now I'm gonna have to learn to hate it!

[sarcasm mode off]

-Dave-

David Kieltyka's gear list:David Kieltyka's gear list
Leica M8.2 Pentax 645D Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Olympus E-M1 +7 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Ontario Gone
Senior MemberPosts: 2,433Gear list
Like?
In reply to David Kieltyka, 5 months ago

David Kieltyka wrote:

Oh no! When I thought the E-M1 used a Sony sensor I loved its image quality. Now I'm gonna have to learn to hate it!

[sarcasm mode off]

-Dave-

All kidding aside, there are many people who love to love sony sensors, and now they will have to give credit to another sensor maker. I guess with all the praise given to the EM1 IQ, it just goes to show how well Panny can make sensors too.

-- hide signature --

"Run to the light, Carol Anne. Run as fast as you can!"

Ontario Gone's gear list:Ontario Gone's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-42mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Sigma 60mm F2.8 DN
SHood
Senior MemberPosts: 3,903Gear list
Like?
4k video according to sensor specs

The specs on Panasonic's site suggests it support 4k video.

http://www.semicon.panasonic.co.jp/en/products/detail/?cat=CGF7000&part=MN34230

-- hide signature --
 SHood's gear list:SHood's gear list
Sony RX100 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS
JeanLucX
Junior MemberPosts: 43Gear list
Like?

mlaprise wrote:

Interesting...

http://www.43rumors.com/surprise-olympus-e-m1-uses-a-panasonic-sensor/

OMG! Thanks for exposing that! My E-M1 is still within the return window and It is going back to Olympus next Monday. There is no way in hell i would pay 1400 for a Panasonic sensor camera.

JeanLucX's gear list:JeanLucX's gear list
RX100 III Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ1000
Alexis D
Regular MemberPosts: 382
Like?

So, that's why the E-M1 is so un-interesting in terms of IQ, even without an AA filter. It is a great camera, but only because of all the other features, not IQ.

Richie S
Regular MemberPosts: 481
Like?
In reply to Alexis D, 5 months ago

It may well explain the lack of video features on the EM1.

Kim Letkeman
Forum ProPosts: 32,357Gear list
Like?
a little long on bias it would seem ...

Alexis D wrote:

So, that's why the E-M1 is so un-interesting in terms of IQ, even without an AA filter. It is a great camera, but only because of all the other features, not IQ.

Sigh ... if you want an objective measure of the EM5 against the EM1 and, say, the GX7 as the latest Panny high end sensor, then check out DXOMark ...

http://www.dxomark.com/Cameras/Compare/Side-by-side/Olympus-OM-D-E-M1-versus-Panasonic-Lumix-DMC-GX7-versus-Olympus-OM-D-E-M5___909_901_793

What you will find is that in every category, they are all tied, or the EM1 leads. But the overall difference, as has been true for a long time in m4/3, is marginal. The EM1 leads by .3 to .4 stops, which is basically trivial ...

Whatever it is you base your "IQ" comments on, I suspect that they are rather long on bias and short on critical analysis ...

Kim Letkeman's gear list:Kim Letkeman's gear list
Nikon Coolpix 990 Fujifilm FinePix F200EXR Fujifilm FinePix F770EXR Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF3 +16 more
Kim Letkeman
Forum ProPosts: 32,357Gear list
Like?
In reply to Richie S, 5 months ago

Richie S wrote:

It may well explain the lack of video features on the EM1.

What may? Beside the fact that Olympus simply is not a video oriented company I mean?

Kim Letkeman's gear list:Kim Letkeman's gear list
Nikon Coolpix 990 Fujifilm FinePix F200EXR Fujifilm FinePix F770EXR Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF3 +16 more
Richie S
Regular MemberPosts: 481
Like?
In reply to Kim Letkeman, 5 months ago

I would assume there are some conditions to this deal to secure the sensor which may well have included certain things like limiting the video options. Panasonic is clearly trying to stake out the video market And Olympus is barely even trying to compete in that market.

in a camera absolutely packed with features and options like the EM1 is do you not find it strange that they only appear to have made the minimal effort for video. Is there any company in the world that would just leave cash on the table like that, for absolutely no reason?

pew pew
Contributing MemberPosts: 600Gear list
Like?
In reply to Richie S, 5 months ago

Richie S wrote:

I would assume there are some conditions to this deal to secure the sensor which may well have included certain things like limiting the video options. Panasonic is clearly trying to stake out the video market And Olympus is barely even trying to compete in that market.

in a camera absolutely packed with features and options like the EM1 is do you not find it strange that they only appear to have made the minimal effort for video. Is there any company in the world that would just leave cash on the table like that, for absolutely no reason?

Yes, look at Fuji, almost no controls for video.

pew pew's gear list:pew pew's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-3N Canon EOS 100D
cainn24
Senior MemberPosts: 1,556
Like?
I like Olympus AND Panasonic. It's all m43 goodness to me...

...and I think it's kinda silly to artificially partition off the ecosystem to the point where it even matters who made what component, whether it be a body, a lens or a sensor.

There's like 3 threads on the first page about this now. Get a grip people, and enjoy a system which has been a cooperative enterprise from the very beginning.

Zeisschen
Regular MemberPosts: 103Gear list
Like?
Would have been an even nicer surprise...

If the sensor was bigger :o

Zeisschen's gear list:Zeisschen's gear list
RX100 III Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony Alpha 7R Sony Carl Zeiss Sonnar T* E 24mm F1.8 ZA Carl Zeiss Touit 2.8/12 +4 more
gnewsch
Regular MemberPosts: 462Gear list
Like?
Re: Would have been an even nicer surprise...
In reply to Zeisschen, 5 months ago

Chipworks also says the E-M5 uses a Sony sensor indeed. So I guess we can all agree that currently there is not much difference between the various 43rd 16mp sensors.

gnewsch's gear list:gnewsch's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 14-150mm 1:4-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 +10 more
Alexis D
Like?
Re: a little long on bias it would seem ...
In reply to Kim Letkeman, 5 months ago

Kim Letkeman wrote:

Alexis D wrote:

Sigh ... if you want an objective measure of the EM5 against the EM1 and, say, the GX7 as the latest Panny high end sensor, then check out DXOMark ...

http://www.dxomark.com/Cameras/Compare/Side-by-side/Olympus-OM-D-E-M1-versus-Panasonic-Lumix-DMC-GX7-versus-Olympus-OM-D-E-M5___909_901_793

What you will find is that in every category, they are all tied, or the EM1 leads. But the overall difference, as has been true for a long time in m4/3, is marginal. The EM1 leads by .3 to .4 stops, which is basically trivial ...

Whatever it is you base your "IQ" comments on, I suspect that they are rather long on bias and short on critical analysis ...

-- hide signature --

On what do you base your suspicion on? DXO scores?

My IQ comments are based on well published material. Read some reviews and know that the E-M1 is not better than the E-M5, which is about the same as the E-PM2, E-PL5, E-P5, and GX7. Any improvement in E-M1's IQ is trivial at best, and in some cases, not really improvement but rather deterioration, but again trivial. There are numerous reviews already and they all say the same thing, that there is little improvement in IQ in the E-M1, which is what I said.  How is that long on bias?

NCV
NCV
Contributing MemberPosts: 597Gear list
Like?

Alexis D wrote:

Kim Letkeman wrote:

Alexis D wrote:

-- hide signature --

My IQ comments are based on well published material. Read some reviews and know that the E-M1 is not better than the E-M5, which is about the same as the E-PM2, E-PL5, E-P5, and GX7. Any improvement in E-M1's IQ is trivial at best, and in some cases, not really improvement but rather deterioration, but again trivial. There are numerous reviews already and they all say the same thing, that there is little improvement in IQ in the E-M1, which is what I said.  How is that long on bias?

So now we know that the M1 has a Panasonic sensor and not a Sony one, it now becomes an undesirable camera to own.

Interesting .

NCV's gear list:NCV's gear list
Nikon D300 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1 Olympus OM-D E-M5
Alexis D
Like?
In reply to NCV, 5 months ago

NCV wrote:

Alexis D wrote:

Kim Letkeman wrote:

Alexis D wrote:

-- hide signature --

My IQ comments are based on well published material. Read some reviews and know that the E-M1 is not better than the E-M5, which is about the same as the E-PM2, E-PL5, E-P5, and GX7. Any improvement in E-M1's IQ is trivial at best, and in some cases, not really improvement but rather deterioration, but again trivial. There are numerous reviews already and they all say the same thing, that there is little improvement in IQ in the E-M1, which is what I said. How is that long on bias?

So now we know that the M1 has a Panasonic sensor and not a Sony one, it now becomes an undesirable camera to own.

Who said that?

Interesting .

93tracker
Forum MemberPosts: 76Gear list
Like?
In reply to gnewsch, 5 months ago

So I'll assume the EM10 has a Sony sensor also? Whatever it has it takes very good pics!

93tracker's gear list:93tracker's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX3 Sony RX100 Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 30D Olympus PEN E-P1 +6 more
Its RKM
Senior MemberPosts: 2,668
Like?
Re: 4k video according to sensor specs
In reply to SHood, 5 months ago

SHood wrote:

The specs on Panasonic's site suggests it support 4k video.

http://www.semicon.panasonic.co.jp/en/products/detail/?cat=CGF7000&part=MN34230

and high speed video at 240 and 481fps!

http://www.semicon.panasonic.co.jp/ds8/c3/IS00006AE.pdf

-- hide signature --

Its RKM

BarnET
Senior MemberPosts: 1,128Gear list
Like?
In reply to gnewsch, 5 months ago

gnewsch wrote:

Chipworks also says the E-M5 uses a Sony sensor indeed. So I guess we can all agree that currently there is not much difference between the various 43rd 16mp sensors.

There is a big difference between the old 16mp panasonic sensors and the newer sony and panasonic sensor. The difference between the em-5(sony) and gx7(new pana) is insignificant.

The panasonic

G3 GX1 and gf6 use an old cheaper version(only video output is worse) as the gh2.

Gh2 g5 g6 use the larger 18mp multi aspect. But the multi aspect function is unfortunately disabled in the g models.

These sensors have significant less dynamic range at base iso as the new models. Also about an stop lower sensitivity. So ISO 1600 on the gx7 will look about as good as ISO 800 on the g6.

That is a significant difference that closes the gap to most Apsc based camera's. Apsc does still have an resolution advantage since you get similar dynamic range and ISO performance at 24mp.

Or you will get better ISO performance if you choose fujifilm.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads