A7/A7R Light leaks reported + White Orbs issue?

Started 9 months ago | Discussions
captura
Forum ProPosts: 15,108Gear list
Like?
A7/A7R Light leaks reported + White Orbs issue?
9 months ago

"A7/A7R Light leaks

- from Alpha NEX Cameras, borrowed with thanks!

http://community.sony.com/t5/Alpha-NEX-Cameras/A7-A7R-Light-leaks/td-p/254835

12-26-2013 09:05 AM - edited ‎12-26-2013 09:06 AM

People in these two groups have found a light leaking issue that occurs from the mount on camera. https://www.facebook.com/groups/184416535083113/

https://www.facebook.com/groups/SonyAlphaTalk/
Here is a photo of the light leak. I did a simple test putting the lens cap on and shot at iso 25600 for 20 seconds in low indoor lighting.

A Person in both groups took a long real world exposure and the light leaks did affect the outcome of his photograph.

Looking at the two photos together the light leaks look like they are coming from the same points. More people have confirmed this in the groups. Also the same person that took the photo above found that the e mount is squishy. He also has seemed to have found a temporary solution

"So I am now more convinced than ever that the source of the major light leak, the crescent leak showing up on the upper right quadrant of the image, is caused by that slight gap between the silver flange and the resin substrate. To get rid of it, all I needed to do was apply a very thin strip of gaffer's tape to the gap between the silver flange and the orange ring (see pic). Note that this isn't covering the space between the orange ring and the body nor is it really providing a good shield between the flange and the rear of the lens. It's just covering the gap between the flange and the orange ring, and that takes care of the crescent light leak "

The tape idea was found on twitter http://twitpic.com/dpocow

=========================================

Re: White Orbs issue now on Sony A7?

- continued from "Problem with Sony A7, reflections on the sensor."

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/53072031

Fuji X10 issue re-visited?

captura's gear list:captura's gear list
Fujifilm X10 Sony Alpha NEX-7 Samsung NX1000 NEX5R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R +10 more
Fujifilm X10 Sony Alpha 7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ethern1ty
Regular MemberPosts: 284Gear list
Like?
Re: A7/A7R Light leaks reported + White Orbs issue?
In reply to captura, 9 months ago

I checked on my A7r with the 35mm f2.8. No issue at all... (30s exposure, f22 (to avoid lens cap issue) at ISO 26500).

If they have using an adapter, the leak might come the adapter. (I got one of the first model).

I got one of the first model. I shoot regularly using long exposure (using 35mm and today 55mm and haven't see the issue at all !)

ethern1ty's gear list:ethern1ty's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 Canon EOS 70D Sony Alpha 7R Sony a6000
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Chad Hardy
Senior MemberPosts: 1,183Gear list
Like?

Spent the last 30 minutes reading posts.  Tested my a7 with FE 35mm, 30s iso 25600 at 3 o'clock with a bright flashlight.  No leaks.

Chad Hardy's gear list:Chad Hardy's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Sony Alpha 7R Fujifilm X-T1 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX100 III Fujifilm X-E2 +16 more
Beaverhelmet
Contributing MemberPosts: 611Gear list
Like?
In reply to ethern1ty, 9 months ago

Same here, no problems with my A7R. Tried both the Metabones adapter and a cheap Fotasy. 30s exposure, ISO 26500. Pulled a neoprene pouch over the lens and half of the adapter to rule out anything else than the camera mount, placed the camera on the window sill for full light bombardment. Got nothing but black frames. This seems to me more like a quality issue than a design flaw.

Beaverhelmet's gear list:Beaverhelmet's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-F707 Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony SLT-A77 Sony Alpha 7R Sony Alpha 7S +9 more
stevo23
Senior MemberPosts: 4,323Gear list
Like?
No leak for me

No leaks here as far as I can tell.

Kiichiro
Regular MemberPosts: 473Gear list
Like?

Not sure what these purple things are but I don't think it's light leak. I think people should blame their adapters. Try using FE lens and see if it has light leaks.

Kiichiro's gear list:Kiichiro's gear list
Sony Alpha 7 Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-TX20 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX100 III Sony 24-70mm F2.8 ZA SSM Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T* +2 more
captura
Like?
In reply to Kiichiro, 9 months ago

I guess the light leaks were a one-off quality issue, as suggested.

Anyone getting the white orbs?

Fujifilm X10 Sony Alpha NEX-7 Samsung NX1000 NEX5R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R +10 more
Kiichiro
Regular MemberPosts: 473Gear list
Like?

I tried to get white orbs but I dont know how. Can you suggest a setting for me to try?

Kiichiro's gear list:Kiichiro's gear list
Sony Alpha 7 Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-TX20 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX100 III Sony 24-70mm F2.8 ZA SSM Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T* +2 more
richard NO
Contributing MemberPosts: 860Gear list
Like?
Leak confirmed on my A7 (1 photo)

I just tested this with a led lenser L7 on the mount of the A7. Same result with the 10-18mm and the FE35. taped the whole lens under testing so the leak must be in the mount. 30 sek exposure, 25600. Did the same thing with the nex-6, no leak. Also tested the A77 and 70-400 G II, no leak. Does Sony know about this?

If it will be an issure in the real world? Naw, i dont think so but anyway!!

cheers and good weekend

-- hide signature --

Photography for me is not about recreating what i saw through
the viewfinder but to show people the way i want to see the world
Cheers!
Richard Larssen http://www.flickr.com/photos/uberdogleg/
-------------------

richard NO's gear list:richard NO's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony Alpha 7 Samyang 14mm F2.8 IF ED MC Aspherical Samyang 12mm 1:2.0 NCS CS
robert1955
Senior MemberPosts: 1,773
Like?
A7 No White Orbs issue?

From the linked thread a gather that some [but not all] users can reproduce a flare like issue with colored [blue and or green) circles appearing near an intense (blown out?) light source (street light, sun). As far as I've seen it has so far not been observed with the A7r, leading to speculation that it may have to do with differences in the sensor stack.

It seems different IMO from the white orbs seen with some Fuji Xtrans sensors which was a form of blooming. That AFAIK has not been shown with the Sony.

captura wrote:

• continued from "Problem with Sony A7, reflections on the sensor."

SQLGuy
Senior MemberPosts: 2,913Gear list
Like?
Re: Leak confirmed on my A7 (1 photo)
In reply to richard NO, 9 months ago

Just tried mine under some direct light in the kitchen (25600, 30sec).

First test was with a body cap on. The result was a fairly uniform red frame.

Second was same setup in a dark room, to see whether light leak was the cause. Sure enough, this was dark grey instead of red.

Third was back under the lights with the kit zoom and its lens cap and hood. That was uniform almost black.

Last test was with a Fotasy Canon FD adapter and an nFD 35/2 with its cap on. This resulted in an almost black screen with a bit of a dim red streak in one corner. I guess the adapter does leak. It should be noted that the E-mount end of the adapter has thinner parts, especially the bayonet and tube wall, than the native kit zoom's mount.

-- hide signature --

A7 with kit lens and a number of legacy lenses (mostly Canon FD)

SQLGuy's gear list:SQLGuy's gear list
Canon PowerShot G9 Nikon D200 A3000 Sony Alpha 7 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G +1 more
richard NO
Contributing MemberPosts: 860Gear list
Like?
In reply to SQLGuy, 9 months ago

SQLGuy wrote:

Just tried mine under some direct light in the kitchen (25600, 30sec).

First test was with a body cap on. The result was a fairly uniform red frame.

Second was same setup in a dark room, to see whether light leak was the cause. Sure enough, this was dark grey instead of red.

Third was back under the lights with the kit zoom and its lens cap and hood. That was uniform almost black.

Last test was with a Fotasy Canon FD adapter and an nFD 35/2 with its cap on. This resulted in an almost black screen with a bit of a dim red streak in one corner. I guess the adapter does leak. It should be noted that the E-mount end of the adapter has thinner parts, especially the bayonet and tube wall, than the native kit zoom's mount.

-- hide signature --

I also tested first with the cap "untaped", more leak so i taped the whole thing with plastic foil under to avoid a sticky lens:) no adapter used. I dont like this! The lenses are weather sealed but not the mount is not light sealed, sigh....

-- hide signature --

Photography for me is not about recreating what i saw through
the viewfinder but to show people the way i want to see the world
Cheers!
Richard Larssen http://www.flickr.com/photos/uberdogleg/
-------------------

richard NO's gear list:richard NO's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony Alpha 7 Samyang 14mm F2.8 IF ED MC Aspherical Samyang 12mm 1:2.0 NCS CS
SQLGuy
Senior MemberPosts: 2,913Gear list
Like?

Note that I did not see any leak with the kit zoom. Are you expecting the lens mount to compensate for deviations from mount spec by 3rd party adapter manufacturers?

-- hide signature --

SQLGuy's gear list:SQLGuy's gear list
Canon PowerShot G9 Nikon D200 A3000 Sony Alpha 7 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G +1 more
socode
Regular MemberPosts: 355
Like?

richard NO wrote:

I just tested this with a led lenser L7 on the mount of the A7.

Interestingly I could reproduce it on one cheap legacy adapter but not two others. Mount looks OK here.

captura
Like?
In reply to Kiichiro, 9 months ago

Kiichiro wrote:

I tried to get white orbs but I dont know how. Can you suggest a setting for me to try?

Try it at night where there are streetlights and/or car headlights. A big flare is what you will see if you have it. You will either have White Orbs or you won't because that's what owners of the original 14xxxx series of Fuji X10 experienced. Some had it and some didn't. I had one of each.

Not: it has not yet been established as to whether the A7 has a White Orbs issue. Let's all work together on that puzzle.

see:

- continued from "Problem with Sony A7, reflections on the sensor."

captura
Like?
Re: A7 No White Orbs issue?
In reply to robert1955, 9 months ago

robert1955 wrote:

From the linked thread a gather that some [but not all] users can reproduce a flare like issue with colored [blue and or green) circles appearing near an intense (blown out?) light source (street light, sun). As far as I've seen it has so far not been observed with the A7r, leading to speculation that it may have to do with differences in the sensor stack.

It seems different IMO from the white orbs seen with some Fuji Xtrans sensors which was a form of blooming. That AFAIK has not been shown with the Sony.

captura wrote:

• continued from "Problem with Sony A7, reflections on the sensor."

Well this guy reported it with his A7, and the question is, was the only one, or are there others, and how many? Strangely the thread was cut short after less than 100 messages: What's going on?

Steve

========================

Problem with Sony A7, reflections on the sensor. 1 week ago

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/52986111

"Sorry for my English! Sony A7 has this serious problem, you can also check it by clicking F8 to F22. We must point out the problem to Sony who can help me?"

Thanks

-- hide signature --

hide signature --

A7 + (adapter Voigtlander) Leica M 21 SEM asph @F11

View: original size

A7 + Sony-Zeiss FE 35 F2.8 @F11

Sony Alpha 7 If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback for

PVCdroid
Senior MemberPosts: 2,162Gear list
Like?
In reply to Beaverhelmet, 9 months ago

Beaverhelmet wrote:

Same here, no problems with my A7R. Tried both the Metabones adapter and a cheap Fotasy. 30s exposure, ISO 26500. Pulled a neoprene pouch over the lens and half of the adapter to rule out anything else than the camera mount, placed the camera on the window sill for full light bombardment. Got nothing but black frames. This seems to me more like a quality issue than a design flaw.

The poster reporting the problem is kind of suspect since they said Sony wouldn't give them a support reference number.

PVCdroid's gear list:PVCdroid's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony Alpha 7R
blue_skies
Senior MemberPosts: 7,324Gear list
Like?

captura wrote:

Well this guy reported it with his A7, and the question is, was the only one, or are there others, and how many? Strangely the thread was cut short after less than 100 messages: What's going on?

Steve

Steve, that thread is at 150 messaage (149 responses). Threads auto-lock at 150 messages.

Read ProfHandD's response in that thread, as it supports my comments in that same thread:

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/53072446

The problem manifests itself by:

1. High dynamic range of the sensor, making reflections perceptible if
  2. Highlights are dramatic (bright lights on a dark background, sun in frame)
  3. The shot is over-exposed (highlight at, or close to blow-out)
  4. Using a stopped down aperture
  5. Use of short-flange lens (typically WA RF lens)

Remove one or two of these variables and the problem goes away,

-- hide signature --

Cheers,
Henry

blue_skies's gear list:blue_skies's gear list
Canon PowerShot S95 Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony Alpha 7 Sony a6000 +33 more
John Triebe
Contributing MemberPosts: 564Gear list
Like?

Unfortunately, I have the "light leak" problem with my A7r. I tested both my Zeiss 55mm f1.8 and the 35mm f2.8 and they both exhibit the problem:

This one is with the 55mm wherein I used a flashlight and shined it completely around the lens mount.

FE 55mm  f1.8, ISO 25600 and 20 second exposure

For this one everything was the same except I just shined the light at the 3 o'clock position.

FE 55mm f1.8, ISO 25600 and 20 second exposure

This was with the FE 35mm f2.8, but just illuminating at the 3 o'clock position

FE 35mm f2.8, ISO 25600 and 20 second exposure

This last one is without illuminating the lens mount but exposing in a room with normal "low" light levels

FE 35mm f2.8, ISO 25600 and 20 second exposure, but in normal, low level room light

Looks like this camera is going back to Sony.

John Triebe's gear list:John Triebe's gear list
Canon EOS-1D Mark III Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 20D Canon EOS 70D Sony Alpha 7R +35 more
captura
Like?
In reply to blue_skies, 9 months ago

blue_skies wrote:

captura wrote:

Steve

Steve, that thread is at 150 messaage (149 responses). Threads auto-lock at 150 messages.

Read ProfHandD's response in that thread, as it supports my comments in that same thread:

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/53072446

The problem manifests itself by:

1. High dynamic range of the sensor, making reflections perceptible if
  2. Highlights are dramatic (bright lights on a dark background, sun in frame)
  3. The shot is over-exposed (highlight at, or close to blow-out)
  4. Using a stopped down aperture
  5. Use of short-flange lens (typically WA RF lens)

Remove one or two of these variables and the problem goes away,

-- hide signature --

Cheers,
Henry

Good to know Henry. So you are saying there is not a chance of a White Orb issue, and we should drop it?

Steve

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads