Which of these pictures was taken with which camera? :)

Started 6 months ago | Polls
Michael Jardine
Senior MemberPosts: 1,212Gear list
Like?
Which of these pictures was taken with which camera? :)
6 months ago

Which of these four Photos were taken with a D800?

The two cameras I used are a D800 (70-200 VRII at 160mm and f/3.2 on the tele, 16-40 f/4 at f/8.0 and 24mm on the wide); E-M1 (75mm f/1.8 at f/3.2 on the tele, 12-40 f/2.8 at 12mm on the wide).

Photo A

Photo B

Photo C

Photo D

Michael Jardine's gear list:Michael Jardine's gear list
Nikon D800 Olympus PEN E-PL5 Olympus PEN E-P5 Olympus E-M1 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm f/4G ED VR +11 more
POLL
A and C
17.9% 10  votes
A and D
60.7% 34  votes
B and C
16.1% 9  votes
B and D
5.4% 3  votes
  Show results
Nexu1
Senior MemberPosts: 1,582
Like?
Re: Which of these pictures was taken with which camera? :)
In reply to Michael Jardine, 6 months ago

I really believe this is a horrible test.

That said, there is a very clear noise difference in photo's A&B.  A is much cleaner.  If A isn't the D800 then there's a conspiracy

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Scott McMorrow
Regular MemberPosts: 354
Like?
Really pretty easy

All you have to do is look at the noise.  D800 has more fine grained noise.

wasserball
Senior MemberPosts: 2,362
Like?
In reply to Nexu1, 6 months ago

Nexu1 wrote:

That said, there is a very clear noise difference in photo's A&B. A is much cleaner. If A isn't the D800 then there's a conspiracy

I think it is legitimate.  This is how we use our cameras in the real world.  Take your pick and shut up.  To me, I don't care.  I have neither cameras.  I shoot with what I have and I am OK with the way the photos turn out.

adhall
Regular MemberPosts: 273Gear list
Like?
In reply to wasserball, 6 months ago

wasserball wrote:

Nexu1 wrote:

That said, there is a very clear noise difference in photo's A&B. A is much cleaner. If A isn't the D800 then there's a conspiracy

I think it is legitimate. This is how we use our cameras in the real world. Take your pick and shut up. To me, I don't care. I have neither cameras. I shoot with what I have and I am OK with the way the photos turn out.

I don't think it's legitimate, because I don't think all the files have been processed to their full potential... That's what happens in the real world.

adhall's gear list:adhall's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm f/4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +5 more
Michael Jardine
Like?
Re: Really pretty easy
In reply to Scott McMorrow, 6 months ago

Scott McMorrow wrote:

All you have to do is look at the noise. D800 has more fine grained noise.

In that case, which is the D800?

-- hide signature --

Michael
www.Qamera.com

Nikon D800 Olympus PEN E-PL5 Olympus PEN E-P5 Olympus E-M1 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm f/4G ED VR +11 more
StillLearning
Senior MemberPosts: 1,789
Like?
Re: Really pretty easy

Michael Jardine wrote:

Scott McMorrow wrote:

All you have to do is look at the noise. D800 has more fine grained noise.

In that case, which is the D800?

-- hide signature --

Michael
www.Qamera.com

If what he says is true then B and C would be the D800.

yray
Contributing MemberPosts: 870
Like?

What is this supposed to prove? that not every picture taken by the D800 is amazing? I thought we already suspected that.

Eric RG
Junior MemberPosts: 28
Like?

Tough to say with this type of pic, I'll bite, A+C is the D800.

Robin Casady
Forum ProPosts: 11,438
Like?
Are you just here to exploit us for your blog?

Are you going to post the results here? Or, are you just mining data for your blog? I see you have written an article saying that you don't see much difference between the D800 and your 4/3 camera.

-- hide signature --

Robin Casady
http://www.robincasady.com/Photo/index.html
"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please."
—Mark Twain

Michael Jardine
Like?
A and D are the D800
-- hide signature --

Michael
www.Qamera.com

fPrime
Regular MemberPosts: 422Gear list
Like?
Re: A and D are the D800

Michael Jardine wrote:

-- hide signature --

Michael
www.Qamera.com

Yipee, the power of Nikon vs. Oly color rendition... I think I was the first to make this call!  What did win, haha?

fPrime

fPrime's gear list:fPrime's gear list
Nikon D200 Nikon D700 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24mm f/1.4G ED Sigma 50mm F1.4 EX DG HSM Sigma 85mm F1.4 EX DG HSM
Astrophotographer 10
Senior MemberPosts: 4,605Gear list
Like?
In reply to fPrime, 6 months ago

I would've picked A and D based on B and C are a lot noisier at 100%.

Still fairly close overall.

I think the point is while we agonise over minute differences in our cameras they all are pretty hot these days. Its a super competitive market so they have to be if they want to survive.

Greg.

Lance B
Forum ProPosts: 26,938Gear list
Like?

Michael Jardine wrote:

-- hide signature --

Michael
www.Qamera.com

Well, there you go. I was right and right for what seems to be the right reasons.

Lance B's gear list:Lance B's gear list
Nikon D800E Nikon D810 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm f/4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +13 more
Michael Jardine
Like?
In reply to Astrophotographer 10, 6 months ago

Astrophotographer 10 wrote:

I think the point is while we agonise over minute differences in our cameras they all are pretty hot these days. Its a super competitive market so they have to be if they want to survive.

Greg.

In my opinion, it matters less what the pixel peeping tells you, and more what (as one of our other forum posters suggested) the thumbnail tells you.  And to me, that's less a function of the inside of the camera, and more a function of both the photographer, AND the 'outside' of the camera.  By this I mean, if the camera FEELS GOOD in your hands, and its controls seem intuitive to YOU, and if it's a camera that you will enjoy taking with you everywhere you'll go - then you are bound to take better photos with it.

Forget the pixels.

-- hide signature --

Michael
www.Qamera.com

Alan Brown
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,646Gear list
Like?
agree..

Michael Jardine wrote:

Astrophotographer 10 wrote:

Greg.

In my opinion, it matters less what the pixel peeping tells you, and more what (as one of our other forum posters suggested) the thumbnail tells you. And to me, that's less a function of the inside of the camera, and more a function of both the photographer, AND the 'outside' of the camera. By this I mean, if the camera FEELS GOOD in your hands, and its controls seem intuitive to YOU, and if it's a camera that you will enjoy taking with you everywhere you'll go - then you are bound to take better photos with it.

Forget the pixels.

I put the  composition above gear any day. I know an artist friend of the family. She is happy to use any point and shoot camera; is not bothered with the tech specs and doesn't WANT to know or learn them. Her shots are amazing.. she sees things instinctively.

Sure she could produce better prints with better cameras.. but they would get in her way.., she is 78 BTW and beyond gear talk.

-- hide signature --

Michael
www.Qamera.com

-- hide signature --

There is a very fine line between 'hobby' and 'mental illness.' :'!':

Alan Brown's gear list:Alan Brown's gear list
Nikon 1 J2 Nikon D600 Sigma 70-300mm F4-5.6 APO DG Macro Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G Nikon 1 Nikkor VR 10-30mm f/3.5-5.6 +1 more
Chengis
New MemberPosts: 24Gear list
Like?

I do not believe it when someone says it does not matter what camera you use. Such statements are philosophical views rather than actual reality. Ya you can make art with Holga but... photography is not just art it is also science for many who practice it. Even without clicking on the images one can see that A and D have more DR than B and C.

Chengis's gear list:Chengis's gear list
Ricoh GR Digital IV Sony RX100 Nikon D300S Sony SLT-A65 Sony Alpha 7 +9 more
keaggy220
Regular MemberPosts: 274
Like?

Both are great cameras, however the D800 holds the highlights better in both photos.

Michael Jardine
Like?
In reply to keaggy220, 6 months ago

keaggy220 wrote:

Both are great cameras, however the D800 holds the highlights better in both photos.

Excellent comments but I find that the comments made after the cameras have been revealed are not quite as revealing - so to speak - as the comment made before they were revealed.  The purpose of this photo comparison was not to re-hash over what has been said so many times in this forum; it was to try to elicit some impressions that are completely unbiased.  I also admit that reducing the resolution of the FF photos to that of the M43 could have caused some issues, not because the resolution was lower, but because of the compression used by LR. But what do I know?  I'm just here to learn.

-- hide signature --

Michael
www.Qamera.com

Liviu Namolovan
Regular MemberPosts: 414
Like?
Re: Voted. Thank you.

I've really enjoyed your posts. Nice idea. It was fun to vote also. Other than that... A lot of energy to prove that for a limited number of made up situations m4/3 can replicate the results from a D800. O.K. You've made your point. But.... For a lot more occasions, FF willl utterly destroy m4/3 with ease when it's about the important things: smoothness and rich tones/colors. In the end that's all that matters. The larger the recording medium, the better the results. Easy. MF is too expensive and cumbersome to use, so FF is the best bet. For me, of course. Thank you.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads