Camera Choice

Started 7 months ago | Questions
rweaver85
Forum MemberPosts: 66Gear list
Like?
Camera Choice
7 months ago

I am wanting to purchase a Canon DSLR. I've considered the 5DC, 5D MKII, 60D, 7D and the 70D. The problem is Canon really makes this decision hard for some reason. It seems like from what I read that the older cameras that were tops when they came out are no longer good anymore. It's like they have a timer and when that timer goes off it's self destructs. I personally wouldn't have a problem purchasing any of these cameras. To me a camera is a tool to complete a task. Just to note I am coming from a Pentax K200 and Nikon D40. I was pretty happy with those cameras and had maximized their usage. I love doing video, but when we do spontaneous video we usually grab the iPhone or iPad. I wouldn't mind the video of the 7D without the auto focus.

Here's where I am at. I have a "Plastic Fantastic" that I use with my dad's T3. I am actually quite please with the IQ of the images that I have made with that camera and lens combo. I don't like the controls of the XXXD series. I want an mid level pro camera. I was originally considering the 60D because you can pick one up pretty cheap. Then I got to thinking that if I bumped the budget a little more I could get a 7D. THEN I thought again and told myself if I squeeze a little MORE I could move up to a 70D. I originally had a budget of around $650. Now I'm toying with the idea of around $1100.  Then I got to thinking AGAIN. If I spend 1100 why not go full frame with a 5D MKII.  I'll be honest I'm really pushing it at the top end. Nothing left for a lens or anything for that matter. I was pretty much settled on a 7D until I started comparing the 7D with the 70D. For around $1100 I could get a 7D with a 10-22mm lens.  I would feel more comfortable in the $650 to $750 range for a body or body+grip combo.

I know this subject has probably been beat to death, but there's not much separation between some of these choices.  Honestly I would rather have an older body with better lenses than a better body with mediocre lenses.  I want a good camera for family and some photography work such as portraits and real estate hence the 10-22mm lens.

rweaver85's gear list:rweaver85's gear list
Canon EOS 70D Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II
ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Canon EOS 1100D (EOS Rebel T3 / EOS Kiss X50) Canon EOS 5D Canon EOS 60D Canon EOS 70D Canon EOS 7D Nikon D40
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Jonathan Brady
Senior MemberPosts: 1,893Gear list
Like?
Re: Camera Choice
In reply to rweaver85, 7 months ago

Nothing about your stated intended uses (so far) says you need FF or even the 7D.

To me, it comes down to AF in video. If you want it; 70D. If not, 60D. You said you'd be fine with manual focusing for video so that would mean that the 60D is a great solution for you. As a bonus, there's money in the budget for lenses!

Jonathan Brady's gear list:Jonathan Brady's gear list
Canon EOS M Canon EOS 70D Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM +13 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
digitalcuriosity
Contributing MemberPosts: 761
Like?

From what i get from your post,i feel the 60D would be the good choice.

MarshallG
Senior MemberPosts: 1,508Gear list
Like?

Your thinking is actually very reasonable. I was going to purchase a 60D, but then found a 7D used and chose it instead. I paid about $800 for that body a year ago and I love it.

The full-frame 5D II can be found at great prices, but with the full-frame lenses, it will probably break your budget. So... great choice, but you can't afford it, so forget it. Easy.

This leaves you with buying a crop sensor camera. Gradually acquire full-frame lenses over the next 3-4 years, then upgrade to a FF body. A 60D with 10-22 is a great start. You kinda have to go crop with the 10-22, but maybe after that get a 50 f/1.4 and the 70-200 f/4 L (over time).

The 60D is a really good camera. The only little problem it has is the lack of Microfocus adjustment. That's no problem with the 10-22, but you need to buy your other lenses from vendors with return policies. And then, you need to critically test your lenses when you buy them. A good way is to lock your camera to tripod, an shoot at a paper target with print, taped to a wall. Compare the autofocus shot to a manually focused shot (these cameras all let you manually focus in LiveView with 10x magnification). But, seriously, it's not that big a deal. By the time you upgrade in a few years, Microfocus adjustment will probably be automated inside the camera.

-- hide signature --

Please forgive my typos. I often post from my phone, and it is difficult to edit mistakes after I post.

MarshallG's gear list:MarshallG's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM +4 more
rweaver85
Like?
In reply to MarshallG, 7 months ago

I've played with the 60D and don't really like it especially with the prices of the 7D coming down. I like quick and easy manual control. I like the layout of the 5D MKIII which is similar to the 7D. I don't like the 60D control wheel direction pad thingy. I could live with the controls of the 70D because of the advanced features. The one thing I REALLY like about the 70D is in live view continuous and single shooting is that it is super quiet. Only the shutter sound. I have really been torn over the 7D vs. the 70D. I don't think the 60D would work well with my kids! They are quick and never sit still! Going off your beginning statement I might be more inclined to go with the 7D. It would give me more wiggle room and some extra money. With the 70D I would be stuck with just a body and my "Nifty Fifty".  I'm going to purchase what ever will give me the best value.

Mark B.
Forum ProPosts: 14,903Gear list
Like?

rweaver85 wrote:

I am wanting to purchase a Canon DSLR. I've considered the 5DC, 5D MKII, 60D, 7D and the 70D. The problem is Canon really makes this decision hard for some reason. It seems like from what I read that the older cameras that were tops when they came out are no longer good anymore. It's like they have a timer and when that timer goes off it's self destructs.

Then the timer on my 7D is broken.  After more than 4 years, the IQ is just as good as when I purchased it in October of 2009.

No matter what you buy today, there's going to be a camera introduced next year with new or improved features.  Buy the camera that has the features/IQ you want/need now, and then upgrade when there's something on a newer model that has what you want.  Don't upgrade just because there's something new.

I personally wouldn't have a problem purchasing any of these cameras. To me a camera is a tool to complete a task. Just to note I am coming from a Pentax K200 and Nikon D40. I was pretty happy with those cameras and had maximized their usage. I love doing video, but when we do spontaneous video we usually grab the iPhone or iPad. I wouldn't mind the video of the 7D without the auto focus.

Here's where I am at. I have a "Plastic Fantastic" that I use with my dad's T3. I am actually quite please with the IQ of the images that I have made with that camera and lens combo. I don't like the controls of the XXXD series. I want an mid level pro camera. I was originally considering the 60D because you can pick one up pretty cheap. Then I got to thinking that if I bumped the budget a little more I could get a 7D. THEN I thought again and told myself if I squeeze a little MORE I could move up to a 70D. I originally had a budget of around $650. Now I'm toying with the idea of around $1100.  Then I got to thinking AGAIN. If I spend 1100 why not go full frame with a 5D MKII.  I'll be honest I'm really pushing it at the top end. Nothing left for a lens or anything for that matter. I was pretty much settled on a 7D until I started comparing the 7D with the 70D. For around $1100 I could get a 7D with a 10-22mm lens.  I would feel more comfortable in the $650 to $750 range for a body or body+grip combo.

I know this subject has probably been beat to death, but there's not much separation between some of these choices.  Honestly I would rather have an older body with better lenses than a better body with mediocre lenses.  I want a good camera for family and some photography work such as portraits and real estate hence the 10-22mm lens.

If all you're doing is portraits & real estate the 7D is probably overkill - you don't need the high frame rate, nor the larger buffer, nor heavier build.  Only you can decide if you want to go FF; it will be easier to find wide angle, and IQ in low light will be better.

Mark

rweaver85
Like?

I just pulled the trigger on a 70D with a 3rd party grip, 32 and 16 gb SanDisk Extreme, and 2 batteries for $1050 BIN with free shipping on eBay.  It was one of those deals that if I let it go I would kick myself.

Jonathan Brady
Senior MemberPosts: 1,893Gear list
Like?

Congrats! Great choice!

The key to truly enjoying it is to never second guess the decision. Just go out and shoot!

Jonathan Brady's gear list:Jonathan Brady's gear list
Canon EOS M Canon EOS 70D Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM +13 more
rweaver85
Like?
In reply to Jonathan Brady, 7 months ago

I had contemplated the 60D about a year and a half, but it was even lacking then.  That's one of the reasons I did hold off on the 60D.  The 7D at the time was WAAAY to expensive for me.  The 70D after mulling it over just seemed like the right choice.  I most definitely couldn't have afforded a 7D MKII!

Bert_vargas
Senior MemberPosts: 1,567Gear list
Like?

Sounds like you've already made your choice and are looking for affirmation.

The 7D is a fine camera and you will be very happy with it for a long time to come.  Good luck with your new purchase.

So go, jump in the car and go get yourself a new 7D.

-- hide signature --

Beauty is in the eye of the photographer

Bert_vargas's gear list:Bert_vargas's gear list
Canon EOS 40D Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM +4 more
Myer
Senior MemberPosts: 2,594
Like?
OP Purchased 70D Not 7D
In reply to Bert_vargas, 7 months ago

Bert_vargas wrote:

Sounds like you've already made your choice and are looking for affirmation.

The 7D is a fine camera and you will be very happy with it for a long time to come. Good luck with your new purchase.

So go, jump in the car and go get yourself a new 7D.

-- hide signature --

The OP purchased a 70D and not a 7D.

Bert_vargas
Senior MemberPosts: 1,567Gear list
Like?
Re: OP Purchased 70D Not 7D
In reply to Myer, 7 months ago

oops, my bad.   good choice either way.   Congrats on new purchase.

-- hide signature --

Bert_vargas's gear list:Bert_vargas's gear list
Canon EOS 40D Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM +4 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads