Can you recommend a tripod for macro shooting with my 70D?

Started 10 months ago | Discussions
Say Cheese
Contributing MemberPosts: 581Gear list
Like?
Can you recommend a tripod for macro shooting with my 70D?
10 months ago

I sure am loving my new 70D. I'd like to explore macro photography from time to time, and I have a lovely Canon 60mm lens to do just that.

I'm thinking I could improve the quality of my macro shots with a tripod, and while I have a couple of normal sized beasts, I'd like something small, portable, and light that I could take into the garden, or set on a table for indoor shots of interesting objects, etc.

Can anyone suggest something that won't break the bank? Thanks!

-- hide signature --
 Say Cheese's gear list:Say Cheese's gear list
Canon PowerShot S120 Canon EOS 70D Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM +5 more
Canon EOS 70D
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
WilbaW
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,811Gear list
Like?
Re: Can you recommend a tripod for macro shooting with my 70D?
In reply to Say Cheese, 10 months ago

Gorillapod?

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Say Cheese
Like?
In reply to WilbaW, 10 months ago

WilbaW wrote:

Gorillapod?

I thought of that, but those appear to be good for P&S cameras, not a heavy 70D with a 60mm lens on - or am I wrong?

-- hide signature --
Canon PowerShot S120 Canon EOS 70D Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM +5 more
propstuff
Regular MemberPosts: 117
Like?

My gorilla pod (the biggest one- can't remember the name) supports my 7D and 70-300L extended but I wouldn't use it for macro unless you can place the subject easily.

I'd go for one of the tripods that can mount an arm out sideways. I modified one of mine like this so I can use it out in the bush where access is awkward. (likewise choose a tripod that can angle each leg independently and at extreme angles if you want to annoy bugs and mushrooms in the bush)

cheers

-- hide signature --

nicholas

Peter63
Regular MemberPosts: 497Gear list
Like?

http://www.adorama.com/searchsite/default.aspx?searchinfo=vanguard+224

Small, carbon, with a decent ball head for $129. I use this with a 6d and 100mm 2.8. I substituted the included short vertical for the extension and it can get very close to the ground. You can also invert it. You don't get the horizontal arm option but the legs do lock in 3 positions. Great for portability but not tall enough for general use without bending down.

Peter63's gear list:Peter63's gear list
Canon EOS 6D Canon EOS 100D Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM +16 more
Peter Marchant
Regular MemberPosts: 290Gear list
Like?

Benbo is an obvious place to look

http://www.patersonphotographic.com/benbo-tripods.htm

I've never had one (not done outdoor macro work) but these were the first choice by those who want a tripod with an arm that can be adjusted after setting the main legs - an essential for most outdoor macro work.

Peter

Peter Marchant's gear list:Peter Marchant's gear list
Canon EOS 70D Canon EF-S 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS Canon EF 75-300mm f/4.0-5.6 III Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM Canon EF 28mm f/2.8 +7 more
Peter Marchant
Like?

Here's another solution if you already have a sturdy tripod and a monopod:

All you need is a Manfrotto clamp.  It has a 1/4" thread for fitting to your tripod head (quick release hex plate here) and that's all.

Not light so best in your garden, rather than to take on long hikes, but probably the cheapest and most flexible solution!  The monopod if fitted with a Manfrotto 494 RC2 ball head, good for cameras up to 4Kg - it's a nice head!

Peter

Canon EOS 70D Canon EF-S 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS Canon EF 75-300mm f/4.0-5.6 III Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM Canon EF 28mm f/2.8 +7 more
phill104
Senior MemberPosts: 1,554
Like?

I find a tripod too restrictive for shots of live beasties and it seems many macro photographers find the same. I can see the point for still life indoors though. Having said that mine spends most of its life gathering dust in the boot of my car.

Here are some great tutorials worth a good look - http://dalantech.deviantart.com/gallery/4122501

and the blog to go with it - http://www.nocroppingzone.com

-- hide signature --

C&C always welcomed.
Some of my piccies - http://www.flickr.com/photos/distinctly_average
A windsurfing website I built - http://www.windsurf.me.uk

WilbaW
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,811Gear list
Like?
In reply to Peter Marchant, 10 months ago

Peter Marchant wrote:

I've never had one (not done outdoor macro work) but these were the first choice by those who want a tripod with an arm that can be adjusted after setting the main legs - an essential for most outdoor macro work.

Maybe for static subjects and natural light, but AI Servo and diffuse flash will set you free from most of the old "essentials".

yellodog
Senior MemberPosts: 1,178
Like?

A bean bag for ground level work.

NancyP
Senior MemberPosts: 4,178Gear list
Like?
monopod or "LordV" method

The "Lord V" method is to hold the camera and hang on to a stick planted firmly on the ground. You focus by setting focus and rocking back and forth for fine focus. Any stick will do, as long as you can get both the stick and the camera/lens in your hand at the same time.

Monopod with tilt head is pretty much the same idea, but there's more putzing with locating the monopod foot in exactly the right location.

The 60mm f/2.8 is a wonderful macro lens. Lighting at 1:1 may be problematic - front element is close to your object of interest.

-- hide signature --

NancyP

NancyP's gear list:NancyP's gear list
Sigma DP3 Merrill
NancyP
Senior MemberPosts: 4,178Gear list
Like?
In reply to Peter Marchant, 10 months ago

That looks like a "SuperClamp"! That thing is the photographers' hardware equivalent of gaffer (duct) tape.

-- hide signature --

NancyP

NancyP's gear list:NancyP's gear list
Sigma DP3 Merrill
Say Cheese
Like?
In reply to NancyP, 10 months ago

I'm reading some great responses here and learning a lot. Thanks for all the contributions. And don't stop if anyone else wants to chime in!

-- hide signature --
BAK
BAK
Forum ProPosts: 19,202
Like?
Benbo Trekker

Note the spelling Benbo.

(Benro is a different company)

BAK

Peter Marchant
Like?
In reply to NancyP, 10 months ago

NancyP wrote:

That looks like a "SuperClamp"! That thing is the photographers' hardware equivalent of gaffer (duct) tape.

-- hide signature --

NancyP

Yes, as I said, it's a Manfrotto clamp.  If you have a tripod and monopod, that's all you need to allow positioning the camera almost anywhere.

I wouldn't consider using gaffer tape instead!!

Peter

DWare
Contributing MemberPosts: 617
Like?

For macro, a copy stand is another option you should consider. They really shine when needing to focus stack.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=&sku=686878&is=REG&A=details&Q=

Peter Marchant
Like?
In reply to DWare, 10 months ago

DWare wrote:

For macro, a copy stand is another option you should consider. They really shine when needing to focus stack.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=&sku=686878&is=REG&A=details&Q=

Yes, I have one that I'm now using for slide digitising.  For flat copy work (slides, documents, etc) camera lenses, even macro ones, are not ideal.  You need an enlarger lens for this as they are specifically designed for flat-field work.  Because they cannot be focussed, you'll also need a set of bellows or variable length extension tubes.  The 70D is particularly suitable with its articulated LCD screen for composing your subject.

Peter

Pritzl
Contributing MemberPosts: 740Gear list
Like?

Got this Velbon a while back for $200. It's very flexible with regard to positioning and reasonably stable so long as you don't over-extend the boom arm. Another plus is that the boom can double as a poor-man's macro rail.

Pritzl's gear list:Pritzl's gear list
Fujifilm X10 Canon EOS 70D Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Tokina AT-X Pro 12-24mm f/4 DX II Canon EF-S 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM +5 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads