>>> Street Photography eXchange #84 <<<

Started 6 months ago | Discussions
xtoph
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,310Gear list
Like?
>>> Street Photography eXchange #84 <<<
6 months ago

SPX is a place to post examples of your recent street photographs for feedback, discussion and critical appreciation.

PLEASE post new photos as a reply to THIS MESSAGE directly, to help keep the thread organized and readable! Posting in “threaded view” will make immediately clear to you where you want your reply to be appended when responding to other photos and comments.

The street photography we love encompasses a wide variety of styles and subjects, but usually centers on spontaneous shots of people in public. You can emphasize personalities and expressions, momentary juxtapositions, form, composition, color; you can record life as it is lived, or flashes of the surreal, or moments of transcendence. Among the pioneers of the genre are Henri Cartier-Bresson; Helen Levitt; Robert Frank; Garry Winogrand; Mary Ellen Mark; and certainly many more. Street photography would not be what it is today without them, and no doubt is on its way to becoming something else again, with your help.

This is intended as a serial, ongoing thread, and will be replaced whenever the 150 post limit is approached; past threads will be numbered and linked in the current active thread.

As a continuous feature, the goal is to sustain an ongoing discussion and exchange of ideas and inspiration about street photography, as well as to get to know other photographers a little better. Everybody with an interest in SP is welcome to post photos, write comments and critiques, or just to lurk; please don’t be shy about participating in whichever and however many ways you like! But, posting your own photos helps people to understand where your comments are coming from, and commenting on other’s work can help us to see where your own pictures are coming from... so we hope you decide to do both.

SPX is an excellent place to share your latest favorite shot, the beginnings of your newest project, the discovery of a new approach to making the shots you want to make. Sharing works in progress, as opposed to completed portfolios, is encouraged; you can expect some genuine, hard, but positive critique here, and commenters will be able to fulfill that expectation better if you post no more than 1-3 photos at a time.

xtoph
Like?
>>> Links <<<
In reply to xtoph, 6 months ago

post links to resources and subjects of pertinence to street photographers here.

PLEASE post links only in reply to this message.

***boilerplate links***

SPX #83 : the SPX thread immediately preceding this one.

genealogy : various links and resources to some of the dpr street photography threads that came before SPX.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
xtoph
Like?
final frolics

last batch of Super Bowl party pics, promise.

Zubu Barunda
Senior MemberPosts: 2,160Gear list
Like?
British

jeff hladun
Senior MemberPosts: 1,978
Like?
Mississippi River, Baton Rouge, Louisiana: by Robert Frank

From "The Americans" by Robert Frank.

A subject of pertinence to street photographers here.

unknown member
(unknown member)
Like?
Re: Mississippi River, Baton Rouge, Louisiana: by Robert Frank
In reply to jeff hladun, 6 months ago

of course its application is obvious and its reason therein...I can find a hundred of these only because I know them by their purpose, but I can not think on any that I saw because they had none and yet they also had this same horizon ...

Ant.

xtoph
Like?

jeff, i can think of hundreds of photos with crooked horizons which i love.

some of my photos have un-level horizons.

i have even had to defend the validity of not-level horizons on spx many times before, such as here .

but let's not confuse different issues.

one, objective, whether or not the horizon in a photo is level.

one subjective, whether in a particular photo one prefers the horizon level, or tilted, for whatever reasons.

i don't know of anyone in this thread who has ever suggested that horizons should never be level. that's not really a point of debate.

4G63
Regular MemberPosts: 198
Like?
Passengers & Baggages

Inside a C-17

jeff hladun
Senior MemberPosts: 1,978
Like?

Or, another issue may be the way in which the use of the tilt corrects the weakness of the quarter to rear-plane shot, the weakness being the lines of perspective converging to the vanishing point. By rotating the upper frameline away from the point of disappearance, the weakness vanishes thru illusion as demonstrated in the Frank image above.

In a way, it is covering up one mistake by making another. It is relevant to the street photographer who is either too shy to take the head-on picture, or who for whatever reason must act quicker than normal and doesn't have enough time to re-position. It's a way to take an image where the viewer thinks the photographer has taken a stake in the moment, even though the photographer hasn't. Robert Frank preferred the head-on and side-on shot, and in the few images of his in The Americans where he shot from the quarter angle, the tilt was used most of the time.

To accept the use of the tilt as a solution to the particular issue of the quarter-shot weakness, it's assumed the quarter-shot is a weak shot. That's not always the case of course, but I carry it as a generalized rule, broken only when rare circumstances prove me wrong.

M Charles Joseph
Contributing MemberPosts: 509
Like?
Re: carry over last thread / xtoph

Listen xtoph, regarding your continuing personal attack on both me and my Haleakala image, lets put this to rest shall we? In the first place, I was standing there and you weren't. If I tell you this was a straight on level shot, it was. Your continuing persecution of me as if I were trying to deceive someone is pathetic. Im not a newbie. Why would I do that? Reverse psychology suggests that's one of your game plans.

I'm not a scientist. If I mentioned it was curvature of the earth that's because that's what I thought it was. If you correct the entire image to "level" that "horizon" line, the subject in the comforter would be listing at a 30* angle as would the wall. Honestly, I'm not that dense.

I am willing to bank a 30 year professional photograpgy career and reputation on the truthfulness of the statements I have made here. The fact that you'd rather debate with false and malicious innuendo says more about you than me. Have you ever sold a shot? You got any skin to put in this game?

btw, I'm still waiting for those breathtaking underwater images from far off lands I couldn't possibly imagine. I put up four. Still waiting for yours.

fad
fad
Forum ProPosts: 12,054Gear list
Like?
Dragonslayer

No, Gerald, I am not exploiting the hot topics of private space travel and invasive pythons in the Everglades.   It's just a photo of a little boy. 

-- hide signature --

Frank
shot in downtown Manhattan.
http://sidewalkshadows.com/blog/ (street photos)
Always view all photos in Gallery or Original Size

fad's gear list:fad's gear list
Canon EOS-1Ds Mark III Nikon D3S Nikon D800 Nikon D4s Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED +5 more
xtoph
Like?
Re: Dragonslayer
In reply to fad, 6 months ago

pretty colors, especially the bg, and they go well with the subject.

M Charles Joseph
Like?
Re: Dragonslayer
In reply to fad, 6 months ago
xtoph
Like?

jeff hladun wrote:

Or, another issue may be the way in which the use of the tilt corrects the weakness of the quarter to rear-plane shot, the weakness being the lines of perspective converging to the vanishing point. By rotating the upper frameline away from the point of disappearance, the weakness vanishes thru illusion as demonstrated in the Frank image above.

In a way, it is covering up one mistake by making another. It is relevant to the street photographer who is either too shy to take the head-on picture, or who for whatever reason must act quicker than normal and doesn't have enough time to re-position. It's a way to take an image where the viewer thinks the photographer has taken a stake in the moment, even though the photographer hasn't. Robert Frank preferred the head-on and side-on shot, and in the few images of his in The Americans where he shot from the quarter angle, the tilt was used most of the time.

To accept the use of the tilt as a solution to the particular issue of the quarter-shot weakness, it's assumed the quarter-shot is a weak shot. That's not always the case of course, but I carry it as a generalized rule, broken only when rare circumstances prove me wrong.

i've followed your comments on taking a stake in photos, how square-on shots can convey that, how 'quarter shots' as you say sometimes do not, and how tilting such a weak-vantage shot may improve it, with some interest.

i don't know that i agree with all of the points along the way (even with the framing of 'what is at stake'), but i do see the argument you're trying to make, and i agree that using tilt is often a way to make it seem like the photographer is engaged in a more direct relation to a subject. i also agree that it's not always the case that a quarter-shot is necessarily weak.

while i don't think it's a problem for a photographer to employ a gimmick such as this for good reasons, it seems a bit odd, if one accepts the premisses that taking a stake is good; and frontal/square framing is conducive to that while peripheral, glancing shots aren't; then to employ a gimmick for the purpose of 'faking' taking a stake seems … odd. but sometimes we have to take what we can get, in photography.

M Charles Joseph
Like?
No, Really
In reply to M Charles Joseph, 6 months ago

Lets see your amazing, publishable UW shots from places I could only imagine. Its been months since your personal challenge. Show me the way oh master!

xtoph
Like?
Re: British
In reply to Zubu Barunda, 6 months ago

i like all the little (presumably) price tags on every knick and knack, especially with the purveyor in uniform.

naurholm
Senior MemberPosts: 1,282
Like?
Re: No, Really
In reply to M Charles Joseph, 6 months ago

It seems to me (And no I'm not usually one for longer and especially personal debates) that you are rather confrontive in your insueno of your posts.

Also you seem to lack something called patience, in this affect I'd like you to remember that some of us including xtoph actually lives in Europe meaning that those 3 posts were effectively somewhere around 3-4am our time hence the lack of an answer.

Great by the way that you have 30 years as a photographer, even greater that you apparantly have a reputation as such. I'm not and haven't even lived for 30 years, but I can say things about people through the way they decide to interact with other people.

Please don't make this a huge a discussion upon personal abilities and personal background for commenting on others images. You can however feel free to comment on mine and I'll cipher out whatever useful might come from and leave the rest alone.

Last thing is that I'm honestly getting sick of these personal attacks, this is not only aimed at you but also at quite a few others in this specific forum I've seen popping up, if you look at my userinfo you'll see that I've actually been around here for a while on/off and I'm still here. So please let's keep it what it is, a place where you can go for an honest oppinion and wether you like it or not is up to you yea?

My grandfather used to tell me, "if you have nothing nice to say it's better to be quite" and some other smart person at some point said "you'll only ever get in return what you give the world"

Hope you have a wonderful day

-- hide signature --

Books make you smart, experience makes you wise, pick your poison.
In vita veritas est (In life truth is)
http://www.flickr.com/photos/naurholm/

naurholm
Like?
Re: final frolics

I like the first one because of his expression and the last one because let's face it I'm a sucker for romance. However the others doesn't work for me personally

-- hide signature --

xtoph
Like?
Re: No, Really
In reply to naurholm, 6 months ago

thanks for chiming in, naurholm. i just wanted to set one thing straight: when last you frequented this forum, indeed i did live in europe, but at present i am in the us (usually in seattle, currently in the mountain time zone).

i did notice mike's posts to me at some point, but i don't see any reason to reply to them, as they don't relate to reality in any significant way. i will just consider them a form of art, a hyperspace installation piece, and that's probably far too generous. anyone interested will likely remember the actual content of my previous posts, and i don't think i need to add anything to them.

glad you are visiting the forum again, i appreciate your comments and photos--

naurholm
Like?
Re: Passengers & Baggages
In reply to 4G63, 6 months ago

I love the idea of this photo, I'd like to see the window dogded a bit as the highlights catches my attention.
Are you a serviceman your self or did you just have the opportunity to do a story of some kind?

-- hide signature --

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads