OK I'll just look at M39 and OM glass.... No I won't...

Started 8 months ago | Discussions
Lumixdude
Senior MemberPosts: 2,782Gear list
Like?
OK I'll just look at M39 and OM glass.... No I won't...
8 months ago

WOW... I really wouldn't mind some cheap and fast manual prime glass and I was just stickybeaking around to get an idea on prices... I just had a look on eBay... talk about price inflation even for average lenses not taking into account crop factor. Yeah... No... I won't be looking there again any time soon. $500 for a 50mm with a 2x crop factor at F/4.... Yeah... No... lol...

Lumixdude.

Lumixdude's gear list:Lumixdude's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PL5 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-200mm F4-5.6 OIS Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 II R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12mm 1:2 Apple iPhone 4 +2 more
mister_roboto
Regular MemberPosts: 298
Like?
Re: OK I'll just look at M39 and OM glass.... No I won't...
In reply to Lumixdude, 8 months ago

Lumixdude wrote:

WOW... I really wouldn't mind some cheap and fast manual prime glass and I was just stickybeaking around to get an idea on prices... I just had a look on eBay... talk about price inflation even for average lenses not taking into account crop factor. Yeah... No... I won't be looking there again any time soon. $500 for a 50mm with a 2x crop factor at F/4.... Yeah... No... lol...

Lumixdude.

what are you babbling about?

You didn't look very hard.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
ApertureAcolyte
Contributing MemberPosts: 876Gear list
Like?
Your loss...

Lumixdude wrote:

Lumixdude.

First of all focal length and aperture figures on lenses remains constant.

Plenty of fast primes to be had cheap.

Ebay

LTM mount

Jupiter 3 50mm f1.5 = $165

Jupiter 8 50mm f2 = $50

Jupiter 9 85mm f2 = $120

Helios 44M 58mm f2 = $60

KEH

OM 50 f1.4 $50-100

They are out of stock of 50mm f1.8's but they usually go for about $30 or so

Minolta 45mm F2 $30

Minolta 50mm f1.4 $53

Minolta 50mm f1.7 $33

Minolta 50mm f1.7 (55mm thread) $15

ApertureAcolyte's gear list:ApertureAcolyte's gear list
Canon EOS 600D Olympus OM-D E-M5 Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12mm 1:2 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75mm 1:1.8 +1 more
Lumixdude
Like?
Re: Your loss...
In reply to ApertureAcolyte, 8 months ago

I may have been wrong, I was looking at prices of legacy glass and most of it seems over inflated... Just at a quick look though. I didn't realise they remained constant with adapters I'm new here of course, but there seems to be a few people taking advantage of the fact that legacy glass is out there.

Olympus PEN E-PL5 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-200mm F4-5.6 OIS Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 II R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12mm 1:2 Apple iPhone 4 +2 more
JBurnett
Contributing MemberPosts: 708Gear list
Like?

Lumixdude wrote:

I may have been wrong, I was looking at prices of legacy glass and most of it seems over inflated... Just at a quick look though. I didn't realise they remained constant with adapters I'm new here of course, but there seems to be a few people taking advantage of the fact that legacy glass is out there.

A 50mm lens is a 50mm lens. F/2 is f/2 when it comes to exposure. On Micro-4/3, 50mm is a short telephoto or portrait lens, not a "standard" focal length.

Many M39/LTM lenses remain expensive (Leica, Voigtlander). Russian copies are an exception.

Olympus OM lenses are valued a bit higher because they are usually optically excellent, and smaller than many other SLR lenses. You'll find more bargains in Minolta, Konica, and Canon FD mounts.

35mm legacy lenses vary in performance. Some are quite good. Others aren't worth the bother. Many are a bit dreamy/low-contrast/soft wide open, but sharpen up nicely 1-2 stops down. You need to do research.

I have used a few legacy lenses successfully as stop-gaps. All have now been replaced by "native" lenses, which I find to have better image quality. If you're looking for bargains in a prime, check out the Sigma 19, 30 and 60mm native lenses. They aren't the fastest (f/2.8) but seem to give very good IQ (and quick AF) at a good price.

-- hide signature --
 JBurnett's gear list:JBurnett's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G3 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Panasonic Leica DG Macro-Elmarit 45mm F2.8 ASPH OIS Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 +6 more
Lumixdude
Like?
In reply to JBurnett, 8 months ago

Yep... I need to have a good look at this, my initial reaction wasn't exactly correct. I am just trying to work out where to go here.

As I thought... a 50mm would turn out to be about 100mm and a zoom would it not? The more I look at it, if I wanted a prime in that particular length the Panasonic 50mm F/1.4 is more than reasonably priced. Most other lenses are with some exceptions.

]

zuikowesty
Senior MemberPosts: 1,150Gear list
Like?

Lumixdude wrote:

Yep... I need to have a good look at this, my initial reaction wasn't exactly correct. I am just trying to work out where to go here.

As I thought... a 50mm would turn out to be about 100mm and a zoom would it not? The more I look at it, if I wanted a prime in that particular length the Panasonic 50mm F/1.4 is more than reasonably priced. Most other lenses are with some exceptions.

]

I had used OM since the 70s, and still had a good collection when I bought into 4/3 5 years ago. I have gradually sold most of it odd, finding the native lenses to be stronger than all but the best OM glass I had. The 50/1.8 is worth trying since it's so cheap, but samples vary. The 21/3.5 was very good as a normal lens on 4/3, but it seemed a waste, since it is such an amazing lens on FF, so I sold it and my 85/2 to pay for an E-M5 kit. The 85/2 was also very good on 4/3, but even better in FF. The 135/3.5 OM is surprisingly good for a long portrait lens wide open, and is cheap. But I'm selling that also, since I find the 40-150 does a decent job, even if it doesn't have the same look as classic glass.

The Jupiter 9 85/2 has me curious, but I am really after a native UW M4/3 right now.

But you are right, there are certain lenses, especially OMs that are highly sought after by FF users, and the price reflects it. It also depends on how much time you have and what style of shooting you do. I rarely have the time required to use a MF lens well these days, but the E-M5 certainly makes it a lot more enjoyable than the old 4/3 bodies.

-- hide signature --
 zuikowesty's gear list:zuikowesty's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus Stylus Tough-3000 Olympus Stylus 5010 Olympus E-410 Olympus PEN E-PM2 +10 more
Lumixdude
Like?
In reply to zuikowesty, 8 months ago

What has me curious is a decent lens below 14mm. The price for the Olympus 12 just isn't cricket... I really do use the 22mm wde end of my LX7 a lot and the Samyang 10 isn't that great of a lens. The kit 28 is good, but if I could get a cheap 24mm equivalent or wider, even better..

453C
Senior MemberPosts: 4,622Gear list
Like?

Lumixdude wrote:

What has me curious is a decent lens below 14mm. The price for the Olympus 12 just isn't cricket... I really do use the 22mm wde end of my LX7 a lot and the Samyang 10 isn't that great of a lens. The kit 28 is good, but if I could get a cheap 24mm equivalent or wider, even better..

The 2x crop factor of MFT can work to our advantage with telephoto focal lengths, but it makes it difficult to find adaptable wide angle lenses. If you really like shooting wide, you may be better off with a native lens, such as the Olympus 9-18. Not cheap, but keep an eye on KEH for a deal.

453C's gear list:453C's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PL1 Olympus E-M1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH +5 more
Lumixdude
Like?
In reply to 453C, 8 months ago

That seems to be the case... I might just have to look at a native wide angle lens if I want to go down below 28mm unfortunately.

mh2000
Senior MemberPosts: 2,662
Like?
most adapted wides

Lumixdude wrote:

That seems to be the case... I might just have to look at a native wide angle lens if I want to go down below 28mm unfortunately.

Most adapted wides suck on m43, especially the smaller rangefinder lenses. SLR lenses are really too big for most m43 bodies IMO and you only want them if you just can't afford anything else.

Most the Russian lenses are not that great. I know, I've been a Russian camera buff for years.

-- hide signature --
Lumixdude
Like?
Re: most adapted wides
In reply to mh2000, 8 months ago

I can afford them, I do think $1000 for the 12-18 or 12mm prime is a little ridiculous though when they're consumer grade lenses.

I may just end up buying the Leica nifty 50 instead to stitch with where necessary for landscapes and to use for my street photography.

Steen Bay
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,243
Like?

Lumixdude wrote:

]

No, a 50mm prime won't become a zoom on mFT. Guess you mean Panasonic/Leica 25mm f/1.4. That'll give you the same (diagonal) FoV/AoV as a 50mm lens on FF, but it's still a 25mm lens.

jeffharris
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,620Gear list
Like?
Re: most adapted wides

Lumixdude wrote:

I can afford them, I do think $1000 for the 12-18 or 12mm prime is a little ridiculous though when they're consumer grade lenses.

I may just end up buying the Leica nifty 50 instead to stitch with where necessary for landscapes and to use for my street photography.

Take a look at the SLR Magic Hyperprime 12mm T1.6. It's an excellent lens. I've had one for a couple of years and use it when my 7-14mm is too slow.

jeffharris's gear list:jeffharris's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Voigtlander Nokton 25mm F0.95 Voigtlander Nokton 42.5mm F0.95 Voigtlander Nokton 17.5mm F0.95 Aspherical +25 more
jeffharris
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,620Gear list
Like?
In reply to 453C, 8 months ago

453C wrote:

Lumixdude wrote:

The 2x crop factor of MFT can work to our advantage with telephoto focal lengths, but it makes it difficult to find adaptable wide angle lenses. If you really like shooting wide, you may be better off with a native lens, such as the Olympus 9-18. Not cheap, but keep an eye on KEH for a deal.

There are plenty of focal lengths that are still unavailable as native M4/3 lenses., which along with real aperture rings, manual focus and rendering quality are the main reasons I adapt non-native lenses. It also gives me the flexibility to experiment with other camera formats, like the Sony A7-series, and not have to buy more lenses.

There are enough excellent native M4/3 wide angles that it's not really worth adapting lenses, unless you're looking for special rendering and character like the M or L mount Voigtländer 12mm f5.6 and 15mm f4.5. Other wide angles in other mounts tend to be very big and extremely expensive, used or nor not.

jeffharris's gear list:jeffharris's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Voigtlander Nokton 25mm F0.95 Voigtlander Nokton 42.5mm F0.95 Voigtlander Nokton 17.5mm F0.95 Aspherical +25 more
JBurnett
Contributing MemberPosts: 708Gear list
Like?
Affordable Ultra Wide

Lumixdude wrote:

There are two more affordable choices for an ultra-wide (affordable compared to the Olympus 12mm, 9-18mm or Panasonic 7-14mm, that is).

1. The Samyang/Rokinon/Bower 7.5mm fisheye. Yes it is a manual-focus fisheye, but it is very sharp, and can be de-fished quite successfully. Search for "fisheye" or "defish" in this forum.

2. The Panasonic 14mm f/2.5 + DMW-GWC1 wide angle converter (approximately 11mm). I use this combo. The DMW-GWC1 also works on the 14-42 power zoom. While it will never quite equal the dedicated ultra-wides, performance is surprisingly good, especially when stopped down to f/4 or f/5.6. Great in a pinch, when 14mm (28mm FF equivalent) just won't do.

And, while it isn't always convenient or easy, one can always take multiple shots in "portrait" mode and stitch them together. The 14mm in portrait orientation give a similar vertical angle of view as a 10.5mm would.

If you do a LOT of ultra-wide, perhaps look for a used 9-18mm (the M.Zuiko Micro-4/3 version -- the 4/3 version is much larger and requires an adapter).

-- hide signature --
 JBurnett's gear list:JBurnett's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G3 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Panasonic Leica DG Macro-Elmarit 45mm F2.8 ASPH OIS Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 +6 more
Steen Bay
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,243
Like?
Re: Affordable Ultra Wide
In reply to JBurnett, 8 months ago

JBurnett wrote:

Lumixdude wrote:

There are two more affordable choices for an ultra-wide (affordable compared to the Olympus 12mm, 9-18mm or Panasonic 7-14mm, that is).

1. The Samyang/Rokinon/Bower 7.5mm fisheye. Yes it is a manual-focus fisheye, but it is very sharp, and can be de-fished quite successfully. Search for "fisheye" or "defish" in this forum.

2. The Panasonic 14mm f/2.5 + DMW-GWC1 wide angle converter (approximately 11mm). I use this combo. The DMW-GWC1 also works on the 14-42 power zoom. While it will never quite equal the dedicated ultra-wides, performance is surprisingly good, especially when stopped down to f/4 or f/5.6. Great in a pinch, when 14mm (28mm FF equivalent) just won't do.

And, while it isn't always convenient or easy, one can always take multiple shots in "portrait" mode and stitch them together. The 14mm in portrait orientation give a similar vertical angle of view as a 10.5mm would.

If you do a LOT of ultra-wide, perhaps look for a used 9-18mm (the M.Zuiko Micro-4/3 version -- the 4/3 version is much larger and requires an adapter).

-- hide signature --

The Oly 9mm body cap lens is maybe also worth to consider.

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/53053404

Andy Crowe
Senior MemberPosts: 1,563Gear list
Like?
Huh? OM 50mm f1.8s are still going for £10-20

Not sure where you're looking, but OM 50mm f1.8s are still going for £10-20, with the 50mm f1.4 clocking in at around £70

If you want wider then the Olympus 24mm f2 have been selling for £100 for as long as I can remember.

zuikowesty
Senior MemberPosts: 1,150Gear list
Like?

Lumixdude wrote:

I am curious about your Samyang 10mm comment. It seems this lens was just announced in December, and I can't find it anywhere. Is there an older version? Seems unlikely a new lens would have a bad rep. already!

-- hide signature --
 zuikowesty's gear list:zuikowesty's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus Stylus Tough-3000 Olympus Stylus 5010 Olympus E-410 Olympus PEN E-PM2 +10 more
EarthQuake
Senior MemberPosts: 1,265
Like?
Re: Huh? OM 50mm f1.8s are still going for £10-20
In reply to Andy Crowe, 8 months ago

Andy Crowe wrote:

Not sure where you're looking, but OM 50mm f1.8s are still going for £10-20, with the 50mm f1.4 clocking in at around £70

If you want wider then the Olympus 24mm f2 have been selling for £100 for as long as I can remember.

The 24/2 sells for $300-500 here, the 24/2.8 on the other hand can easily be found for under $150, maybe that's what you're thinking of.

The Zuiko F2 primes, such as 21/2, 24/2 35/2, 50/2 macro, 85/2, and 100/2 all are quite expensive, but there are 2.8/3.5 versions of all of these for much more reasonable prices (except the 85/2). These lenses are very good, very small for their type/size, as well as pretty uncommon, all of which factors into the market value.

When it comes to manual focus lenses wider than 28mm, the value tends to get out of control, as FF lenses wider than that go into the ultra wide territory. You can easily pay $1000 for a Zuiko 18mm, because that is a FF ultra wide equiv to a 9mm lens in M43rds terms. But natively you can pick up an AF Zuiko 17/1.8 for much less, and at a much lower size and weight. This has to do with the flange distance as well, these types of lenses designed for SLRs need to be much bigger than lenses designed for mirrorless cameras with short flanges because they are retrofocus designs.

The 28-100mm, and even up really, you can often find good values compared to native lenses.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads