7D USB port suddenly didn't function

Started 8 months ago | Questions
Sherwin V Ubaldo
Forum MemberPosts: 56
Like?
7D USB port suddenly didn't function
8 months ago

I was shooting tethered to a laptop for a school and the 1st day went thru without a hitch. On the second day, same setup but we connected the usb cable thru another port which is a USB 3.0. Half way thru when I was changing lens, as usual, turn off the camera, change lens then on. To our suprise the EOS Utility cannot detect the camera. We tried another camera (6D & 60D) and was detected without any problem!
There is not much movement with the 7D to damage the USB port physically because I was shooting all the time with a tripod. I have searched google extensively already but there is no definitive solution than sending it to Canon Service Center which cost them around $500!
One thing I did was to use USBDeview (a freeware) to view all USB installation history and uninstall drivers then reinstall again. But no luck. I haven't uninstalled and reinstalled the EOS Utility and all other softwares from canon thou.
Any help would be very much appreciated. Thanks in advance!

-- hide signature --

Just do your best at all times. Sick or not.

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Canon EOS 60D Canon EOS 7D
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
AJorger
Junior MemberPosts: 35Gear list
Like?
Re: 7D USB port suddenly didn't function
In reply to Sherwin V Ubaldo, 8 months ago

menu, turns off the wifi option

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Sherwin V Ubaldo
Like?
In reply to AJorger, 8 months ago

AJorger wrote:

menu, turns off the wifi option

There is no built-in wifi on the 7D as far as I know... so I think that is for the 70D

-- hide signature --

AJorger
Junior MemberPosts: 35Gear list
Like?

Sorry, I understood that it was the 70D

Sailor Blue
Senior MemberPosts: 6,524Gear list
Like?

It might work, it might not, but it is free.

Remove the camera battery and the clock battery overnight.  This will do a hardware reset so your camera will be back to the way it came from the factory except it will have the last firmware update you installed.

-- hide signature --

Living and loving it in Bangkok, Thailand. Canon 7D - See the gear list for the rest.

Sailor Blue's gear list:Sailor Blue's gear list
Canon EOS 7D +10 more
Lanidrac
Senior MemberPosts: 2,822
Like?
Interesting
In reply to Sailor Blue, 8 months ago

Sailor Blue wrote:

Remove the camera battery and the clock battery overnight. This will do a hardware reset so your camera will be back to the way it came from the factory except it will have the last firmware update you installed.

-- hide signature --

Living and loving it in Bangkok, Thailand. Canon 7D - See the gear list for the rest.

Are you sure about this hardware reset technique by removing the internal clock and main batteries?

-- hide signature --
Sherwin V Ubaldo
Like?

Sailor Blue wrote:

Remove the camera battery and the clock battery overnight. This will do a hardware reset so your camera will be back to the way it came from the factory except it will have the last firmware update you installed.

-- hide signature --

I will give it a try. I would rather have this than paying hefty money again to Canon but I am less optimistic that it will do the trick. Hopefully I am wrong! Thanks. Will report back after 24 hours about this.

-- hide signature --

phill104
Senior MemberPosts: 1,407
Like?

Best bet is to try it on a different machine before all the hardware reset stuff. See if a different PC detects it as sometimes the good old Windows registry gets screwed leaving certain devices not detected and even a re-install of the drivers will not help.

-- hide signature --

C&C always welcomed.
Some of my piccies - http://www.flickr.com/photos/distinctly_average
A windsurfing website I built - http://www.windsurf.me.uk

Sailor Blue
Senior MemberPosts: 6,524Gear list
Like?
Re: Interesting
In reply to Lanidrac, 8 months ago

Lanidrac wrote:

Sailor Blue wrote:

-- hide signature --

Are you sure about this hardware reset technique by removing the internal clock and main batteries?

Yes, it will do as I said.

Whether that will fix the OPs problem or not is unknown.

-- hide signature --

Sailor Blue's gear list:Sailor Blue's gear list
Canon EOS 7D +10 more
Sherwin V Ubaldo
Like?
Re: Still Dead USB but Audio & Video Cable provided works via USB port!

I did removed the clock and LP-E6 battery for more than 24 hours... I reset all settings even custom settings to default before I did and still not detected.
I tried it on a Mac Book Pro and 2 more desktops in the studio still not detected which was easily connected for the past 3 years I have the camera.
One thing I did thou is to connect the camera using the composite Video and Audio Cable provided and it was all okay and that is using the USB port of the camera.
It couldn't be possible that all 3 other computers are having registry errors all at the same time plus the laptop that was used during the shoot?
I guess this is electronic/hardware related problem with the 7D (Sigh)

-- hide signature --

phill104
Senior MemberPosts: 1,407
Like?

Probably a faulty socket on the camera then. It probably will not help but it could be worth giving the socket a blow out with an air duster. I have seen these small sockets get crap in them sometimes preventing a good connection or even shorting pins. Let's hope Canon launch a high end APS-C with wireless in the future so we can dispatch with the leads.

-- hide signature --

C&C always welcomed.

TTMartin
Senior MemberPosts: 6,128Gear list
Like?

Sherwin V Ubaldo wrote:
. . .
On the second day, same setup but we connected the usb cable thru another port which is a USB 3.0. Half way thru when I was changing lens, as usual, turn off the camera, change lens then on. To our suprise the EOS Utility cannot detect the camera. We tried another camera (6D & 60D) and was detected without any problem!

. . .

Thanks for the warning!

It is a good reminder to always properly disconnect a device using the computer before shutting down or unplugging it.

I've had one CF card 'go bad', and it was from removing it too soon from a computer.

It is my experience that message 'It is now safe to remove' applies to safe for the device as well as the computer.

I guess I got lucky in I only messed up a CF card and not my camera.

TTMartin's gear list:TTMartin's gear list
Canon PowerShot S100 (2000) Canon PowerShot SD1000 Canon EOS 40D Canon EOS 400D Canon EOS 7D +24 more
Canon2
New MemberPosts: 12
Like?
In reply to TTMartin, 8 months ago

I also have 7D USB trouble. However I have a work around procedure that helps in my case. Perhaps it works for you too? I had a 5DM2 and a 7D. I never had any problems with EOS utility and USB connection with any of the cameras. I switched the 5DM2 for a 5DM3. So I reinstalled all Canon software incl. EOS utility. USB connection with 5DM3 works fine. However when I connect the 7D and switch the camera on nothing happens. It does not help to start EOS utility manually. It will never connect to the camera. So this is my procedure: Connect the 7d and switch it on. The only thing that happens now is that the PC indicates by sound that a USB device has been connected. Don't touch anything, just wait. After 1-2 minutes the PC indicates by sound that a USB device has been disconnected! Now switch the camera off and on again and EOS utility works just as it should have done in the first place.

Sherwin V Ubaldo
Like?
In reply to phill104, 8 months ago

phill104 wrote:

Probably a faulty socket on the camera then. It probably will not help but it could be worth giving the socket a blow out with an air duster. I have seen these small sockets get crap in them sometimes preventing a good connection or even shorting pins. Let's hope Canon launch a high end APS-C with wireless in the future so we can dispatch with the leads.

-- hide signature --

C&C always welcomed.

Thanks phill104 for reminding me that. I did a quick rocket blower and used a contact cleaner spray for electronics which usually does the trick on old USB sockets but this one is speck clean and still nothing happened. I just hope canon will address this issue with their USB ports in the upcoming models with wi-fi on the 7DII!

-- hide signature --

Sherwin V Ubaldo
Like?
In reply to Canon2, 8 months ago

Canon2 wrote:

I also have 7D USB trouble. However I have a work around procedure that helps in my case. Perhaps it works for you too? I had a 5DM2 and a 7D. I never had any problems with EOS utility and USB connection with any of the cameras. I switched the 5DM2 for a 5DM3. So I reinstalled all Canon software incl. EOS utility. USB connection with 5DM3 works fine. However when I connect the 7D and switch the camera on nothing happens. It does not help to start EOS utility manually. It will never connect to the camera. So this is my procedure: Connect the 7d and switch it on. The only thing that happens now is that the PC indicates by sound that a USB device has been connected. Don't touch anything, just wait. After 1-2 minutes the PC indicates by sound that a USB device has been disconnected! Now switch the camera off and on again and EOS utility works just as it should have done in the first place.

Crossfingers... I hope this one will work on mine too! Thanks Canon2 for sharing this. I'll let you know!

-- hide signature --

Sherwin V Ubaldo
Like?
In reply to TTMartin, 8 months ago

TTMartin wrote:

Sherwin V Ubaldo wrote:
. . .
On the second day, same setup but we connected the usb cable thru another port which is a USB 3.0. Half way thru when I was changing lens, as usual, turn off the camera, change lens then on. To our suprise the EOS Utility cannot detect the camera. We tried another camera (6D & 60D) and was detected without any problem!

. . .

Thanks for the warning!

It is a good reminder to always properly disconnect a device using the computer before shutting down or unplugging it.

I've had one CF card 'go bad', and it was from removing it too soon from a computer.

It is my experience that message 'It is now safe to remove' applies to safe for the device as well as the computer.

I guess I got lucky in I only messed up a CF card and not my camera.

Lucky for you it is just the CF Card. Anyway, mine was turned off (7D) before changing lenses but it has always been like that for the past three years... I cannot recall if there is a "safe to remove device" on the laptop for the 7D thou. But I always remove or unmount portable devices (hard drives, thumb drives, etc.) when I unplug them. Maybe I missed that one out. Silly me.

-- hide signature --

Joe Pa
Senior MemberPosts: 1,524Gear list
Like?

There is a potential problem when cameras are connected through USB hubs. Some cameras can demand a lot of power and if the hub isn't a powered hub or not capable of powering all of the devices connected to it, it can cause power surge reversal which blows the USB port on the camera and possibly additional circuitry in the camera.

I always connect my camera directly to the PC but for those that use hubs, make sure they are powered hubs and can deliver the required power to all devices plugged in.

Joe Pa's gear list:Joe Pa's gear list
Canon ELPH 300 HS Canon EOS-1D Mark III Canon EOS M Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 Canon EOS 70D +21 more
RS_RS
Senior MemberPosts: 1,483
Like?
In reply to Joe Pa, 8 months ago

Joe Pa wrote:

There is a potential problem when cameras are connected through USB hubs. Some cameras can demand a lot of power and if the hub isn't a powered hub or not capable of powering all of the devices connected to it, it can cause power surge reversal which blows the USB port on the camera and possibly additional circuitry in the camera.

I would expect a camera to be powered by its own battery when connected as a USB client, and consequently not to need to draw power from the USB connection. Do you have any evidence for EOS bodies that this is not the case?

I always connect my camera directly to the PC but for those that use hubs, make sure they are powered hubs and can deliver the required power to all devices plugged in.

Joe Pa
Senior MemberPosts: 1,524Gear list
Like?
In reply to RS_RS, 8 months ago

RS_RS wrote:

Joe Pa wrote:

I would expect a camera to be powered by its own battery when connected as a USB client, and consequently not to need to draw power from the USB connection. Do you have any evidence for EOS bodies that this is not the case?

I do not have evidence, but I know two people had this exact problem with different cameras after receiving an error message about too much power being drawn on the hub.   I also have powered USB devices that require a powered hub or direct connection to PC USB port.

Joe Pa's gear list:Joe Pa's gear list
Canon ELPH 300 HS Canon EOS-1D Mark III Canon EOS M Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 Canon EOS 70D +21 more
Sherwin V Ubaldo
Like?
In reply to Joe Pa, 8 months ago

Okay, I tried to wait for a minute or two but all three computers that we have connected the 7D with has no response, not even a notification sound. So, the USB port probably is dead. All functions of the camera thou is working flawlessly except for this USB now.
We never did use any USB Hub it has always been directly connected to the laptop. One thing though we use a meter-long extension USB cable together with the original USB cable provided by Canon. Could this be the reason why, but we have used the same cables last year with the same laptop and camera without any problems until this year's shoot on the 2nd day.
Awhile ago I was playing around in the studio and connected my 30D with the same cables directly to the desktop's motherboard USB port and noticed that it draws a lot of power rendering my keyboard and mouse without power, removing the 30D brings back the keyboard and mouse to normal operation. That is weird as I have never observed it before when we were still using the 30D for tethered shoots. Gladly the 30D's USB port was not damaged.
I guess the 7D's usb port though is dead.

-- hide signature --

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads