Need For Articulating LCD On 6D MKII

Started 8 months ago | Discussions
4thnebula
Senior MemberPosts: 1,642Gear list
Like?
Need For Articulating LCD On 6D MKII
8 months ago

I have asked for this many times in posts (not just for this particular camera though it would make it even more useful than it already is).

My wife and I were taking candids yesterday in a high school physics lab for publicity of projects they are doing.  My wife was using my Olympus OMD EM5 with Panasonic 25 mm f1.4 (as well as the Olympus kit lens 14-42 II)  while I was using the Canon 6D with the Canon 28mm f2.8 IS.  We both took many photographs.  I asked her to try the 6D with the Canon 25mm f2.8 for a while.  She commented afterward that the Olympus OMD EM5 was much more useful due to the ability not to have to use the viewfinder.  She used the LCD on the Olympus OMD EM5 exclusively (i. e. no use of the EVF once she found out it no where near as useful in quickly finding subjects and compositions and the ability to be less obvious in the situation so subjects could be more themselves in their lab setting while we were as much non-observed as possible which is very difficult in such a situation).

We used both cameras at ISO 3200 to freeze action.  We were please with the high ISOs shots from the Olympus enough to where many were useful photos.  It would have been best if all photos were from the 6D for quality at ISO 3200 but due to the lack of articulating LCD many good shots were missed.

So, this situation, and many like it, are making me anxious for a 6D MKII with articulating LCD.

4thnebula's gear list:4thnebula's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Canon EOS 70D Sony a6000 Sony E 35mm F1.8 OSS Canon EF 35mm f/2 IS USM +9 more
Canon EOS 6D Olympus OM-D E-M5
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
kimvette
Senior MemberPosts: 1,254
Like?
Re: Need For Articulating LCD On 6D MKII
In reply to 4thnebula, 8 months ago

Articulated screen for pro cameras: http://www.amazon.com/s?ie=UTF8&field-keywords=hotshoe%20mount%20hdmi%20monitor&index=blended&link_code=qs&sourceid=Mozilla-search&tag=mozilla-20

-- hide signature --

Caution: Do not stare into laser with remaining eye.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
altair8800
Senior MemberPosts: 1,389
Like?
Also Need for 24Mp APS-C sensor

The 6D MKII also needs a 24Mp APS-C sensor, 10 fps and better AF.

Bernie_King
Senior MemberPosts: 1,963
Like?
Re: Also Need for 24Mp APS-C sensor
In reply to altair8800, 8 months ago

altair8800 wrote:

The 6D is a full frame line, perhaps you're thinking of a 7D mark II. The 6D is entry level, what you're asking for (in full frame) is basically a 1DX. Not quite an $1800 camera. As far as the articulating screen goes, I'd be all for it as long as they could maintain weather seals and they could make them not take up so much room.

On the other hand, maybe some enterprising company will come up with a tripod or hotshoe mounted bracket for your smartphone.  Maybe they already have.  Then you could snap it on when you wanted, and leave it off when it would be in the way.

Mirko Taylor
Junior MemberPosts: 28Gear list
Like?

I really don't now why this is posted in the Canon EOS 7D / 10D - 70D Talk forum, when there is a dedicated forum to 1D / 5D - 6D. An not only this, there are plenty offtopic threads. The whole forum on dpreview is a mess because of misplaced threads. Aren't these forums moderated ?

Mirko Taylor's gear list:Mirko Taylor's gear list
Canon EOS 500D Canon EOS 70D Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF 400mm f/5.6L USM Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS +2 more
Peter Marchant
Regular MemberPosts: 290Gear list
Like?
In reply to Mirko Taylor, 8 months ago

Mirko Taylor wrote:

I really don't now why this is posted in the Canon EOS 7D / 10D - 70D Talk forum, when there is a dedicated forum to 1D / 5D - 6D. An not only this, there are plenty offtopic threads. The whole forum on dpreview is a mess because of misplaced threads. Aren't these forums moderated ?

Reading between the lines of the original posting, do you not thin k he was asking "Should I have bought a 70D?"

Peter

Peter Marchant's gear list:Peter Marchant's gear list
Canon EOS 70D Canon EF-S 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS Canon EF 75-300mm f/4.0-5.6 III Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM Canon EF 28mm f/2.8 +7 more
altair8800
Senior MemberPosts: 1,389
Like?
In reply to Bernie_King, 8 months ago

Bernie_King wrote:

altair8800 wrote:

The 6D is a full frame line, perhaps you're thinking of a 7D mark II. The 6D is entry level, what you're asking for (in full frame) is basically a 1DX. Not quite an $1800 camera. As far as the articulating screen goes, I'd be all for it as long as they could maintain weather seals and they could make them not take up so much room.

On the other hand, maybe some enterprising company will come up with a tripod or hotshoe mounted bracket for your smartphone. Maybe they already have. Then you could snap it on when you wanted, and leave it off when it would be in the way.

This was started over in the 7D/10D.. forum and moved to here. Maybe my remark prompted the move. I am after maximum pixel density, which is not the purpose of 1DX. A 1DX with 24Mp APS-C sensor would be good and I would pay much more than $1800 for it. I would settle for 7D mark II with 24Mp APS-C (30Mp better), 10 fps and 1DX AF. Price? Whatever they need.

24Peter
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,005
Like?
In reply to altair8800, 8 months ago

This topic has been beaten to death here and elsewhere, but as another poster on the DPReview forums has said, "Canon - are you listening?"

While I understand some folks have resistance to the idea, I do believe an articulating LCD screen would have been a natural for the 6D and would have distinguished it favorably for my purposes from other FF cameras. I have a 5DII and would have ditched it in favor of a 6D with a swivel screen. I also have a 60D and the screen is sooooooooooooo useful for my type of shooting. Everything from product photography to landscape shooting to video benefits.

I know, I know - "keep your swivel screen off my 5DIII or 1DX - I'm a pro!" But I'd be happy with one on the 6D successor...

-
http://www.superstarheadshots.com
http://www.peteralessandriaphotography.com
http://www.greatproductshots.com
http://greatproductshots.blogspot.com/

Keith Z Leonard
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,279Gear list
Like?

I think it would make sense to have a tilty-flippy screen on the 6D, it's the right spot in the line-up for that.  I can't imagine not being able to photograph a physics lab without one though.  I personally don't much care for live view in general though, so maybe it's just me.  The screen for me would be 99% about video, the other 1% would be for crazy situations like in a hugely crowded environment where I had to hold a camera up over my head, but I have not had that situation happen where the current live view was a problem in the past 10 years.  To each their own.

Keith Z Leonard's gear list:Keith Z Leonard's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 70-200mm f/4.0L USM Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM Sigma 50mm F1.4 EX DG HSM Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM +13 more
stratobill
Contributing MemberPosts: 882Gear list
Like?
In reply to Keith Z Leonard, 8 months ago

Keith Z Leonard wrote:

I think it would make sense to have a tilty-flippy screen on the 6D, it's the right spot in the line-up for that. I can't imagine not being able to photograph a physics lab without one though. I personally don't much care for live view in general though, so maybe it's just me. The screen for me would be 99% about video, the other 1% would be for crazy situations like in a hugely crowded environment where I had to hold a camera up over my head, but I have not had that situation happen where the current live view was a problem in the past 10 years. To each their own.

Well, I was once in Madrid and happened upon the final leg of the big Spanish bike race (I forget the name, equivalent to the Tour De France). The leaders happened to be coming along in front of our hotel, so i used the articulated screen above my head to catch some shots as they came toward the finish. Pretty cool!

I wouldn't mind the articulated screen, or the touchscreen for that matter. So long as the camera was equally durable.

stratobill's gear list:stratobill's gear list
Canon EOS 6D Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6L IS USM Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM Canon EF 40mm f/2.8 STM Canon EF 16-35mm f/4L IS USM
Keith Z Leonard
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,279Gear list
Like?
In reply to stratobill, 8 months ago

That would be the Vuelta A Espana, and yes that is the situation of which I spoke, when you have a terrible view of the event and need to go high or go home empty handed.

stratobill wrote:

Keith Z Leonard wrote:

I think it would make sense to have a tilty-flippy screen on the 6D, it's the right spot in the line-up for that. I can't imagine not being able to photograph a physics lab without one though. I personally don't much care for live view in general though, so maybe it's just me. The screen for me would be 99% about video, the other 1% would be for crazy situations like in a hugely crowded environment where I had to hold a camera up over my head, but I have not had that situation happen where the current live view was a problem in the past 10 years. To each their own.

Well, I was once in Madrid and happened upon the final leg of the big Spanish bike race (I forget the name, equivalent to the Tour De France). The leaders happened to be coming along in front of our hotel, so i used the articulated screen above my head to catch some shots as they came toward the finish. Pretty cool!

I wouldn't mind the articulated screen, or the touchscreen for that matter. So long as the camera was equally durable.

Keith Z Leonard's gear list:Keith Z Leonard's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 70-200mm f/4.0L USM Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM Sigma 50mm F1.4 EX DG HSM Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM +13 more
24Peter
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,005
Like?
In reply to Keith Z Leonard, 8 months ago

85% of my landscape photos (www.peteralessandriaphotography.com) are taken with the camera within 1-2 feet of the ground - and articulating screen would be great for that...

I do product photography for a living (www.greatproductshots.com) . I am almost always using LiveView to focus and compose my images. About 1/2 the time, the camera is positioned in such a way (e.g., directly overhead) that I can't easily see the back LCD. The swivel screen on my 60D is a lifesaver...

I love shooting video with my 60D, not so much with my 5DII, even though the 5DII has much better quality video. Why? Swivel screen on the 60D allows me to hold the camera in a more comfortable position and/or get odd angles.

bigfatron
Regular MemberPosts: 493Gear list
Like?
In reply to 24Peter, 8 months ago

24Peter wrote:

85% of my landscape photos (www.peteralessandriaphotography.com) are taken with the camera within 1-2 feet of the ground - and articulating screen would be great for that...

I do product photography for a living (www.greatproductshots.com) . I am almost always using LiveView to focus and compose my images. About 1/2 the time, the camera is positioned in such a way (e.g., directly overhead) that I can't easily see the back LCD. The swivel screen on my 60D is a lifesaver...

I love shooting video with my 60D, not so much with my 5DII, even though the 5DII has much better quality video. Why? Swivel screen on the 60D allows me to hold the camera in a more comfortable position and/or get odd angles.

I would hazard a guess that environmental sealing becomes a more tricky issue with an articulated LCD.

bigfatron's gear list:bigfatron's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6L IS USM Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM +2 more
4thnebula
Senior MemberPosts: 1,642Gear list
Like?
In reply to Peter Marchant, 8 months ago

The comment is well taken.  I should have put this post on the 6D section.  My mistake.  I have a 70D.  That is a major reason I know how useful a 6D would be if is was a FF 70D.

4thnebula's gear list:4thnebula's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Canon EOS 70D Sony a6000 Sony E 35mm F1.8 OSS Canon EF 35mm f/2 IS USM +9 more
technic
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,374Gear list
Like?

24Peter wrote:

This topic has been beaten to death here and elsewhere, but as another poster on the DPReview forums has said, "Canon - are you listening?"

While I understand some folks have resistance to the idea, I do believe an articulating LCD screen would have been a natural for the 6D and would have distinguished it favorably for my purposes from other FF cameras. I have a 5DII and would have ditched it in favor of a 6D with a swivel screen. I also have a 60D and the screen is sooooooooooooo useful for my type of shooting. Everything from product photography to landscape shooting to video benefits.

I know, I know - "keep your swivel screen off my 5DIII or 1DX - I'm a pro!" But I'd be happy with one on the 6D successor...

totally agree, if the 6D had a tilt screen I would already have purchased one. At the moment it's one of the big missing features that is holding me back, especially with the increased competition from the better mirrorless cameras that often have tilt screens. A tilt screen is far more convenient for macro, liveview use, creative angles etc. I really don't understand why they removed it (as the 6D is mostly based on 60D body); or maybe I do understand why, knowing Canon, but don't like it ;-(

I don't care about ultimate weather sealing and I couldn't care less about 10 fps (my review speed for images is below 0.1 fps anyway, life is short ...).

technic's gear list:technic's gear list
Canon EOS 450D Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF 200mm f/2.8L II USM Canon EF 300mm f/4.0L IS USM Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM +5 more
Peter Marchant
Regular MemberPosts: 290Gear list
Like?

4thnebula wrote:

The comment is well taken. I should have put this post on the 6D section. My mistake. I have a 70D. That is a major reason I know how useful a 6D would be if is was a FF 70D.

After nine years not buying a new camera (last purchase was a 300D), I had to research the various Canon models that fell within my budget.  I soon narrowed it down to 70D (or maybe 60D) or 6D.  After consideration of 2 main factors, I opted for 70D.  These were the articulated LCD screen - I would find that very helpful for when the camera is on a camera stand facing downwards and used for slide digitising and built-in flash.  I rarely use flash except in studios but the occasions when out and about that require flash would be the poorer if I had no flash at all.  I'm happy with the 70D, although I would have liked more than a single C setting - another current thread about that!

Peter

Peter Marchant's gear list:Peter Marchant's gear list
Canon EOS 70D Canon EF-S 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS Canon EF 75-300mm f/4.0-5.6 III Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM Canon EF 28mm f/2.8 +7 more
technic
Like?
In reply to bigfatron, 8 months ago

bigfatron wrote:

I would hazard a guess that environmental sealing becomes a more tricky issue with an articulated LCD.

So you think the engineers who designed all those recent semi-pro mirrorless cameras with tilt screen are wrong? I think many of those cameras have better weather sealing and more solid construction than 6D, despite the tilt screen. And we aren't talking about a pro camera that needs to keep working in the worst conditions anyway, the 6D is really an entry level FF camera.

Canon EOS 450D Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF 200mm f/2.8L II USM Canon EF 300mm f/4.0L IS USM Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM +5 more
technic
Like?
In reply to Peter Marchant, 8 months ago

Peter Marchant wrote:

the articulated LCD screen - I would find that very helpful for when the camera is on a camera stand facing downwards and used for slide digitising and built-in flash.

for slide digitizing or reproduction work I recommend shooting tethered instead, the computer screen is even better for this than a tilt LCD

Mike K
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,496Gear list
Like?
Re: Solution for Articulating LCD on 6D

24Peter wrote:

I do product photography for a living (www.greatproductshots.com) . I am almost always using LiveView to focus and compose my images. About 1/2 the time, the camera is positioned in such a way (e.g., directly overhead) that I can't easily see the back LCD. The swivel screen on my 60D is a lifesaver...

I also use the camera close to the ground for TSE shots, which is my most often used lens type. Often with the tripod over water, so laying down to see the LCD is not an option.

My solution is to use an external monitor. Here is my write up

http://www.fredmiranda.com/smallhd/

the 6" monitor is no longer available, replaced by the 7" at the same price point.  However there are mow several competing brands of HD level monitors: ie Ikan, Marshall and others.  Non HD monitors and cordless (WIFI) solutions have MUCH less resolution as to be useless for MF, but ok for composition.

When set up properly in magnified Live View 1:1 the resolution is improved, and can be seen at at arms length.  For those of us that often use Live View this is a very real increase in capability.

My only caution is that the mini HDMI port on the side of the camera and the mini HDMI connector cord/plug can be somewhat fragile.  Careful with this connection.

Mike K

Mike K's gear list:Mike K's gear list
Canon EOS-1D Mark II Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS D60 Canon EOS 6D Canon EF 135mm f/2.0L USM +9 more
rbarta
Regular MemberPosts: 265Gear list
Like?

Agree, it seems that Canon needs a FF with articulating screen and they should have put it in the 6D.

rbarta's gear list:rbarta's gear list
Canon EOS-1D X Canon EF 15mm f/2.8 Fisheye Canon EF 50mm f/1.2L USM Canon EF 16-35mm f/2.8L II USM Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM +6 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads