70D - from 60D just opened , a couple questions

Started 6 months ago | Discussions
lescrane
Junior MemberPosts: 30
Like?
70D - from 60D just opened , a couple questions
6 months ago

not a big learning curve from the 60D....biggest diff seems to be the focusing screen options, selection...
So, 1) on the viewfinder red grid.....the lines don't go all the way through; eg. not really seeing the "rule of thirds" intersections here. is that correct? I see them after the fact on the lcd screen as per setting.  So what's the purposed of the "grid" if not rule of thirds?

2. On the "electronic viewfinder".  If I set that in custom function to switch on and off w/ DOF button, I lose the DOF preview, is that correct? Trying to figure if there's a work around to quickly switch.  I don't want to lose DOF button

Other than these two minor things, everything as expected.  Need to train the fingers a bit...eg that little "lump" almost touching the shutter button is the focus point button.

I stiill have the 60D but sold my T4i which was my backup/2nd body.  Reallly didnt like the lack of function buttons and switching bet the 2 bodies w/diff controls.  I did like the touch screen a lot, happy to have it on the 70d.   The weight factor had me using Rebels when having a 20/40D to carry plus a 2nd ..rebel was much lighter.  Thankfully they made the 70D no heavier than the 60D.

thx for your help

Canon EOS 60D Canon EOS 650D (EOS Rebel T4i / EOS Kiss X6i) Canon EOS 70D
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
tr573
Regular MemberPosts: 327
Like?
Re: 70D - from 60D just opened , a couple questions
In reply to lescrane, 6 months ago

lescrane wrote:

not a big learning curve from the 60D....biggest diff seems to be the focusing screen options, selection...
So, 1) on the viewfinder red grid.....the lines don't go all the way through; eg. not really seeing the "rule of thirds" intersections here. is that correct? I see them after the fact on the lcd screen as per setting. So what's the purposed of the "grid" if not rule of thirds?

2. On the "electronic viewfinder". If I set that in custom function to switch on and off w/ DOF button, I lose the DOF preview, is that correct? Trying to figure if there's a work around to quickly switch. I don't want to lose DOF button

Other than these two minor things, everything as expected. Need to train the fingers a bit...eg that little "lump" almost touching the shutter button is the focus point button.

I stiill have the 60D but sold my T4i which was my backup/2nd body. Reallly didnt like the lack of function buttons and switching bet the 2 bodies w/diff controls. I did like the touch screen a lot, happy to have it on the 70d. The weight factor had me using Rebels when having a 20/40D to carry plus a 2nd ..rebel was much lighter. Thankfully they made the 70D no heavier than the 60D.

thx for your help

I would say the grid is more for getting straight lines than rule of thirds, but that just may be my (terrible) opinion.

as far as the second question, what exactly are you switching on with the dof preview button?  not clear what you mean by electronic viewfinder

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
lescrane
Like?
In reply to tr573, 6 months ago

tr573 wrote:

lescrane wrote:

So, 1) on the viewfinder red grid.....the lines don't go all the way through; eg. not really seeing the "rule of thirds" intersections here. is that correct? I see them after the fact on the lcd screen as per setting. So what's the purposed of the "grid" if not rule of thirds?

2. On the "electronic viewfinder". If I set that in custom function to switch on and off w/ DOF button, I lose the DOF preview, is that correct? Trying to figure if there's a work around to quickly switch. I don't want to lose DOF button

Other than these two minor things, everything as expected. Need to train the fingers a bit...eg that little "lump" almost touching the shutter button is the focus point button.

I stiill have the 60D but sold my T4i which was my backup/2nd body. Reallly didnt like the lack of function buttons and switching bet the 2 bodies w/diff controls. I did like the touch screen a lot, happy to have it on the 70d. The weight factor had me using Rebels when having a 20/40D to carry plus a 2nd ..rebel was much lighter. Thankfully they made the 70D no heavier than the 60D.

thx for your help

I would say the grid is more for getting straight lines than rule of thirds, but that just may be my (terrible) opinion.

as far as the second question, what exactly are you switching on with the dof preview button? not clear what you mean by electronic viewfinder

got it on pt one.  tx.   I incorrectly wrote "electronic viewfinder" which of course, we do not have, I meant electronic level.......tried it out, I don't see a huge need for it.

tr573
Regular MemberPosts: 327
Like?

lescrane wrote:

tr573 wrote:

lescrane wrote:

thx for your help

as far as the second question, what exactly are you switching on with the dof preview button? not clear what you mean by electronic viewfinder

got it on pt one. tx. I incorrectly wrote "electronic viewfinder" which of course, we do not have, I meant electronic level.......tried it out, I don't see a huge need for it.

You can have the viewfinder level turn on whenever the meter is active, it's one of the options. That way no button taken up

arty H
Senior MemberPosts: 1,008
Like?
In reply to tr573, 6 months ago

How does the image quality look for the two cameras? Do you see any big difference, and how about ISO in low light? I know that some reports are for minimal difference with raw, but what about JPEGs?

lescrane
Like?
In reply to arty H, 6 months ago

Sorry, I haven't really done enough pixel peeping to see a difference in IQ between the 60 and 70D's

However, in the 4 days that have passed, I am finding the 70D a better experience.  The frame rate really does make a difference if you shoot wildlife, and the focusing options are more extensive, but there is a learning curve with a lot of custom functions and setting to get the most out of it.   The focusing also seems a bit faster to lock on in low light using the viewfinder.  I haven't really used live view or movie yet but of course the reviews say that's a big improvement

skanter
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,490Gear list
Like?

lescrane wrote:

tr573 wrote:

lescrane wrote:

thx for your help

got it on pt one. tx. I incorrectly wrote "electronic viewfinder" which of course, we do not have, I meant electronic level.......tried it out, I don't see a huge need for it.

No need for level photos? I think electronic level is essential (also on 60D) - even more so for video - I use to have to put hot shoe level on camera half the time.

Thought I'd like the improved features on 70D, personally I can't see them really making a big difference in my photography from 60D which is excellent. More like conveniences and niceties. I do need a backup, however, especially for paying jobs, but might wait to see if there is a new 7D coming...

-- hide signature --

Sam K., NYC

skanter's gear list:skanter's gear list
Canon EOS 60D Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM Sigma 18-200mm F3.5-6.3 DC OS HSM +4 more
digitalcuriosity
Contributing MemberPosts: 760
Like?

lescrane wrote:

Sorry, I haven't really done enough pixel peeping to see a difference in IQ between the 60 and 70D's

However, in the 4 days that have passed, I am finding the 70D a better experience. The frame rate really does make a difference if you shoot wildlife, and the focusing options are more extensive, but there is a learning curve with a lot of custom functions and setting to get the most out of it. The focusing also seems a bit faster to lock on in low light using the viewfinder. I haven't really used live view or movie yet but of course the reviews say that's a big improvement.

Well try the video you will notice a it's much improved over the 60D.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads