Df: not the perfect camera ...
2 months ago

But good enough for pros according to 'Professional Photographer' magazine

A few snippets and verdict

Cheers

dv312's gear list:dv312's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M10
Nikon Df
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Patrick McMahon
Senior MemberPosts: 1,136Gear list
Like?
Re: Df: not the perfect camera ...
In reply to dv312, 2 months ago

A nice review- thanks for sharing.

Amazing that people who use the camera are repeatedly saying the same thing: Time spent with it makes the controls 2nd nature, in many ways the controls can be better, a more deliberative approach develops, more thought goes into the exposure...

groundswell

Patrick McMahon's gear list:Patrick McMahon's gear list
Nikon D700 Nikon Df Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF Nikkor 18-35mm f/3.5-4.5D IF ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24mm f/1.4G ED +6 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Shotcents
Senior MemberPosts: 3,449Gear list
Like?

Not sure if I'd call the Df "epic."

But a breath of fresh air and all the rest? Absolutely.

I've always enjoyed what DSLRs can do, but until the Df I never really enjoyed using them. With the Df I find myself shooting more than ever.

Robert

Shotcents's gear list:Shotcents's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P7700 Nikon D800 Nikon D5200 Nikon Df Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II +10 more
Patrick McMahon
Like?
In reply to Shotcents, 2 months ago

Shotcents wrote:

I've always enjoyed what DSLRs can do, but until the Df I never really enjoyed using them. With the Df I find myself shooting more than ever.

Robert

Some might call that epic (particularly impressive or remarkable)

Nikon D700 Nikon Df Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF Nikkor 18-35mm f/3.5-4.5D IF ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24mm f/1.4G ED +6 more
ravduc
Senior MemberPosts: 1,033Gear list
Like?

Nice article on the DF. It's just too positive. Wait and see,  someone will try and discredit the magazine.

ravduc's gear list:ravduc's gear list
Canon PowerShot G10 Leica Digilux 2 Fujifilm FinePix X100 Leica Digilux 3 Olympus E-1 +14 more
amobi
Senior MemberPosts: 2,646
Like?
kumbaya lord kumbaya
In reply to ravduc, 2 months ago

Oh Lord Kumbaya!

ravduc
Like?
Re: kumbaya lord kumbaya
In reply to amobi, 2 months ago

Yes, I do like to speculate.

Canon PowerShot G10 Leica Digilux 2 Fujifilm FinePix X100 Leica Digilux 3 Olympus E-1 +14 more
Patrick McMahon
Like?

amobi wrote:

Oh Lord Kumbaya!

That is funny! Hilarious!

mais51
Contributing MemberPosts: 653Gear list
Like?
In reply to Patrick McMahon, 2 months ago

Patrick McMahon wrote:

amobi wrote:

Oh Lord Kumbaya!

Even the lowly D7100 comes with a 2nd slot for SD card, reading through this forum and see how many people has trouble with their SD cards I don't thing anyone could trust a single card camera.  You guy can keep your Df, as for me nothing beat the D800/E for its shear versatility.

mais51's gear list:mais51's gear list
Canon PowerShot SX260 HS Nikon D300S Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.4G Nikon AF Nikkor 24mm f/2.8D +3 more
ravduc
Like?
In reply to mais51, 2 months ago

Did you like the review by this magazine?

Patrick McMahon
Like?

mais51 wrote:

Patrick McMahon wrote:

amobi wrote:

Oh Lord Kumbaya!

Even the lowly D7100 comes with a 2nd slot for SD card, reading through this forum and see how many people has trouble with their SD cards I don't thing anyone could trust a single card camera. You guy can keep your Df, as for me nothing beat the D800/E for its shear versatility.

Amazing how certain camera owners refer to other cameras as "lowly".

but hey... you knowhow the song goes... "Someone's crying Lord, kumbaya."

ravduc
Like?

Blame it on Darwin.

scokill
Senior MemberPosts: 1,409Gear list
Like?

Patrick McMahon wrote:

mais51 wrote:

Patrick McMahon wrote:

amobi wrote:

Oh Lord Kumbaya!

Even the lowly D7100 comes with a 2nd slot for SD card, reading through this forum and see how many people has trouble with their SD cards I don't thing anyone could trust a single card camera. You guy can keep your Df, as for me nothing beat the D800/E for its shear versatility.

Amazing how certain camera owners refer to other cameras as "lowly".

but hey... you knowhow the song goes... "Someone's crying Lord, kumbaya."

For real...the D7100 is a freakin' awesome camera and the differences between cameras being very small.

I haven't had a problem with SD card, but I do get it on the 2nd slot.  To be hones, in all cameras I've owned, I've used the 2 slots for jpeg in 1, raw in 2 and when I shot JPEG only I used one slot without backup on the second, so really one slot anyway.

scokill's gear list:scokill's gear list
Nikon D610 Nikon Df Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D +1 more
Shotcents
Senior MemberPosts: 3,449Gear list
Like?

mais51 wrote:

Patrick McMahon wrote:

amobi wrote:

Oh Lord Kumbaya!

There are no "lowly" cameras; only lowly photographers.

It's very telling when someone assigns some sort of social hierarchy to inanimate objects.

I chose a D5200 over a D600 for a 2nd body (before the Df came out). The D5200, with it's 1.5 crop and  swivel display added more to my D800 kit than a D600 would have.

I chose the Df because the sensor and size combo would also add something new to my kit.

I suggest choosing gear for what it will do for your shooting and not worry about where it "stands." It's all about YOU the shooter.

I've rarely bothered to use the second card slots on my cameras and I've only heard about card failures online. It's exceedingly rare.

Robert

Shotcents's gear list:Shotcents's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P7700 Nikon D800 Nikon D5200 Nikon Df Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II +10 more
Waynerm002
Forum MemberPosts: 98Gear list
Like?

While it's certainly nice to have a camera with 2 card slots, there was a time when we only had one and that didn't stop folks from using them.  When the pro level camera came out with 2 slots, most folks still used 1 and it worked out fine.  Not saying that no one never had an issue but the number of issues were not so large that everyone would need 2 slots.  Having multiple bodies to me is better than multiple slots.  I'm not saying I would never have a camera with 2 slots however, to date I have not had a card failure but I did have my D300 with SB-900 attached, lock up (flash over heated and both stopped working for a bit) during an event I shot and was happy I had my D200 with the SB-800 with me to keep on shooting until the other camera was ok to use again.

It's great to have the option but to say any camera that do not have that capability is "lowly" is a stretch.

Waynerm002's gear list:Waynerm002's gear list
Nikon D200 Nikon D300 Nikon Df Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G +13 more
mais51
Like?
In reply to Shotcents, 2 months ago

Shotcents wrote:

mais51 wrote:

Patrick McMahon wrote:

amobi wrote:

Oh Lord Kumbaya!

It's very telling when someone assigns some sort of social hierarchy to inanimate objects.

I chose a D5200 over a D600 for a 2nd body (before the Df came out). The D5200, with it's 1.5 crop and swivel display added more to my D800 kit than a D600 would have.

I chose the Df because the sensor and size combo would also add something new to my kit.

I suggest choosing gear for what it will do for your shooting and not worry about where it "stands." It's all about YOU the shooter.

I've rarely bothered to use the second card slots on my cameras and I've only heard about card failures online. It's exceedingly rare.

Robert

I am sorry if I offend anyone, I do own a D70, a D90 and a D7000 and a D300s - in terms of money Nikon charge for their equipment a D7100 only costs less than half that of a Df and yet for some cost saving reasons they omit the 2nd slot, on a $3000 to me it's really not acceptable.

Canon PowerShot SX260 HS Nikon D300S Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.4G Nikon AF Nikkor 24mm f/2.8D +3 more
scokill
Senior MemberPosts: 1,409Gear list
Like?

mais51 wrote:

Shotcents wrote:

mais51 wrote:

Patrick McMahon wrote:

amobi wrote:

Oh Lord Kumbaya!

I chose a D5200 over a D600 for a 2nd body (before the Df came out). The D5200, with it's 1.5 crop and swivel display added more to my D800 kit than a D600 would have.

Robert

I am sorry if I offend anyone, I do own a D70, a D90 and a D7000 and a D300s - in terms of money Nikon charge for their equipment a D7100 only costs less than half that of a Df and yet for some cost saving reasons they omit the 2nd slot, on a $3000 to me it's really not acceptable.

I focus on what the camera has vs. what it doesn't have.

scokill's gear list:scokill's gear list
Nikon D610 Nikon Df Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D +1 more
amobi
Senior MemberPosts: 2,646
Like?
In reply to Waynerm002, 2 months ago

Waynerm002 wrote:

While it's certainly nice to have a camera with 2 card slots, there was a time when we only had one and that didn't stop folks from using them. When the pro level camera came out with 2 slots, most folks still used 1 and it worked out fine. Not saying that no one never had an issue but the number of issues were not so large that everyone would need 2 slots. Having multiple bodies to me is better than multiple slots. I'm not saying I would never have a camera with 2 slots however, to date I have not had a card failure but I did have my D300 with SB-900 attached, lock up (flash over heated and both stopped working for a bit) during an event I shot and was happy I had my D200 with the SB-800 with me to keep on shooting until the other camera was ok to use again.

It's great to have the option but to say any camera that do not have that capability is "lowly" is a stretch.

All it takes is to have one card fail on you and the second card argument will be thrown out of the window. Like you guys I used to be very nonchalant about it. I never bothered to use it even though all my cameras have it.  November 2013 was the last time I went shooting without using the second slot as backup. Moving forward I won't even consider buying a camera without back up slot.

My Transcend 32gig got corrupted after a wedding and I lost all the images.  The Bride is not finding it funny. Her parents are willing to pay any amount to have the images recovered but so far no luck, This happened with my D800 so it was totally my fault. No excuse whatsoever.

Waynerm002
Forum MemberPosts: 98Gear list
Like?

I feel your pain on that.  Media can fail.  In the early stages I bought the least expensive cards I could get my hands on.  Then I switched to the more expensive Lexar and Sandisk version.  On the DI currently use Toshiba cards (picked it up in Hong Kong), haven't found a good deal on Sandisk or another top brand yet to purchase.  I have been using CF cards until now and none have failed on me.  I did erase one by accident but used my recovery software to get the photos back.  Let's hope I never have to experience a card corruption with any of my media.

Waynerm002's gear list:Waynerm002's gear list
Nikon D200 Nikon D300 Nikon Df Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G +13 more
mais51
Like?

amobi wrote:

Waynerm002 wrote:

While it's certainly nice to have a camera with 2 card slots, there was a time when we only had one and that didn't stop folks from using them. When the pro level camera came out with 2 slots, most folks still used 1 and it worked out fine. Not saying that no one never had an issue but the number of issues were not so large that everyone would need 2 slots. Having multiple bodies to me is better than multiple slots. I'm not saying I would never have a camera with 2 slots however, to date I have not had a card failure but I did have my D300 with SB-900 attached, lock up (flash over heated and both stopped working for a bit) during an event I shot and was happy I had my D200 with the SB-800 with me to keep on shooting until the other camera was ok to use again.

All it takes is to have one card fail on you and the second card argument will be thrown out of the window. Like you guys I used to be very nonchalant about it. I never bothered to use it even though all my cameras have it. November 2013 was the last time I went shooting without using the second slot as backup. Moving forward I won't even consider buying a camera without back up slot.

My Transcend 32gig got corrupted after a wedding and I lost all the images. The Bride is not finding it funny. Her parents are willing to pay any amount to have the images recovered but so far no luck, This happened with my D800 so it was totally my fault. No excuse whatsoever.

All my works all unpaid but if I take on an assignment I make sure that I can deliver and that include a back up. All weddings that I took for friends I always insist that they hire a professional to cover the basic, I am happy to come along and play back up. I have had a SD card failed on my D7000 and the back up card didn't skip one beat, I caught the problem in time and swiftly replaced that offending card (I later recovered most of the images using RescuePro). Sure we all have to work with what we got but if I'm going to put down $3000 on a camera today I want to have a second slots.

No matter how good an image if it can't be recorded on a storage device then it doesn't count.

Reading the review and the responds on this topic I have the feeling that most of the respondents treat the Df like a hobby camera rather than a professional tool of trade - that is fine, I sometimes took my F3 out of the cupboard to admire the craftsmanship and the beauty of knobs and dials and the coolness of metal but I pick up my D800 to take photo.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads